Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Release Date
December 19th, 2013. (:japan:)
May 20, 2014 (:911:)

:siren:Note: Past games will be spoiled here. Read at your own risk!:siren:

-Some History
All the way back in 2000 a little company called Cavia emerged in Japan. They started off light and made a few games here and there but the overall quality of their products left a lot to be desired and some were not westbound like their later works. Also they were responsible for this(Apparently?). Come the year 2003 they worked with Square Enix to develop a game called Drakengard, or Drag-On Dragoon in Japanese. The game was more or less an homage to Panzer Dragoon due to its dragon-striding aerial battles against massive airships and other supernatural elements as well as rival dragons. The main character was a murder-crazy mute psycho named Caim and he was pretty loving awesome and everyone should get to know him. The game took on a "Crowd-battle" flair in the style of Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors where on-foot you can wield a massive amount of weapons and play as several characters to fight against hordes of enemies with gore and blood flying every which way. You can even call your dragon buddy down and immolate every mindless enemy soldier in existence.

The game enjoyed a cult success thanks to its dissonant and dark soundtrack, the fact your party members are all deranged nutjobs where most of them have a history of abusing children, and last but DEFINITELY not least, a mind-gently caress story where there is only anguish, chaos and :wtf:. In actual gameplay however it was grindy as hell and sometimes excruciatingly hard. The Dark Id has done LPs of all the games, including NieR, and are worth a read if you want to catch up on the history of this series. Be prepared for :stare:

The game was successful enough to spawn a sequel starring a character not nearly as cool as Caim and it wasn't canon. had a different writer, plus the game was generally more jRPGish than the first. Then came around NieR, a game that had two different versions for Japan and America featuring two completely different characters (Swole Dad Nier for the West and Anime Brother Nier for Japan) which takes place after the 5th Ending of Drag-On Dragoon 1. This was the final game released by Cavia before they dissolved.

-Where are we now?
Drakengard 3 came back up in March when the developers of Drakengard and NieR reunited and announced the new iteration of Drakengard. The series director, Taro Yoko, has also returned so you know it's going to have the same old nihilistic flair. Drakengard 3 stakes out its own claim and has an entirely different lore to follow. The gist of it is that our new heroine, Zero, and her sister One, are the protagonists. They are both Utautai, which means "singer" in Japanese, and are basically powerful goddesses each with their own distinct personalities and sordid history.

Story Overview posted:

In the distant past when darkness swept the world with war and tyranny, Goddesses called "Utatai" saw mankind was suffering and descended on the world. These Goddesses use the magical power of songs to defeat warlords ruling the land. Peace was finally brought to this chaotic world. The Goddesses were worshiped for ending conflict and were entrusted control of the world. They became known as Utahime (divas).

One, a young Utatai, holds a strong desire to bring peace and balance to the world. She is poised to become unite all the Utatai and stand on the top of the world. One day, One's older sister Zero shows up with a dragon. Zero is also an Utatai and said to be the strongest among them. Why did Zero suddenly show up in front of One? Why did she ally with a dragon? And what in the world are the Utatai? Darkness once again shrouds over the world.

On top of being a powerful songstress, Zero is also skilled with a sword. Zero is known for having a violent personality and being troublesome. She also has a rather promiscuous personality. Zero has an artificial arm and a flower in her right eye that keeps growing.

One is the exact opposite of her older sister. She has a strong sense of justice and is known for being rational. One even questions why the Utatai came to this world.

Some story elements worth noting (and I'll add more to the OP as they come up) are that each of the Uta sisters are assigned to a specific Church in whatever nation they reside in. For example, Five resides in the Nation of the Sea and is subsequently dispatched by the Church there. What we know about Zero is that she is out to kill all of her other sisters but we don't know why yet. It's likely a hidden truth the same as her mysterious dragon. As well, there are no more pacts to be made with dragons that bind their lives whilst also stealing a critical component from the human.

Drag-on Dragoon: Shi ni Itaru Aka
There is a spin-off manga called "The Red Death" translated here showcasing One and an Elf named Nero, a prequel(?) to the game.

All in all, and above all, expect nothing but strange and sociopathic behavior of every single character in this game.

-Gameplay
To sum it up, you sing to power up to bloodily murder your enemies, being covered in blood makes you even stronger, you still ride on a dragon, and all the Utahime are sexual deviants. The game is also incorporating features from past games and other things you would find in Dynasty Warriors, like weapon-switching combos. In this game, you will also be accompanied by Zero's companions called Apostles. These companions are tireless supporters of their mistress both on and off the battlefield. You can bring two Apostles with you to each battle, it is not yet known(as far as I know!) if you can them switch mid-battle.

You can ride on your dragon as always and it has a few more attacks than the last two Drakengards did, it can bite, swipe with its tail, and of course breathe more of the cleansing fire on the heretics that oppose you. We know that the aerial-only battles, among other things, will be returning for this game as well. Zero has four different kinds of weapons, a chakram which is good for crowd control and can hit everyone around Zero, her fists which are quick and great for comboing, a spear which is slow but powerful, and a sword which is the basic necessity. Beyond that, even the weapons of Drakengard have horrible, depressing, or crudely humorous stories to them, more being revealed as you level up the weapon with continued use. That's also returning for Drakengard 3!

As you fight more and more you build up a sort of "rage" meter and eventually enter into an overdrive state where Zero will begin to sing and when that happens she is an unstoppable might about to crush everything in the vicinity.

dazat posted:

I also translated the sample weapon stories that have been released so far:
Widow's Guilt & Blossom of the Pilgrim
Death Knell & Ironcluster

Just a note that Utautai is being officially translated as Intoner. I was using using Songstress in my translation, since I felt that was a closer translation of the Japanese words which have a theatrical tone (Utautai means something like Song Troupe, and the individual term for an Intoner, Utahime, means Singing Princess), but have also since switched to using the official translation.

-The Miniseries
Leading up to Drakengard 3's release is a series of stories relating to the game, the first one being about Zero's background. A summary of Zero's story can be found just below. There are translated stories for all the apostles and other Utahime which are linked to their character respectively in the next post as I find them. There was another comic I would like to have linked here and all I remember is that One was with some Elven guy and they killed everyone in a town and burned it down. Including children. It was being translated last I heard months ago so tell me about it if you have any info!

Zero's Origin posted:

Zero — The Rain of the End and the Flower of the Beginning

The story starts out with Zero stating her dislike for rainy days because they’re always the worst days. As she sat there and thought about it, she began to laugh mindlessly, asking herself, “So, sunny days aren’t the worst either?”

Then, in the midst of the sound of rain, a voice called out to her. “What’s… wrong? You’re crying,” the voice said, to which Zero responded by telling the blind girl that she was fine, and was merely laughing. It is said that this girl had lost her vision due to being struck in the eyes with a needle, and her palms and feet were burnt countless times by a hot iron during torture from the feudal lord. Her loss was perhaps a result of an attempt of revolt on the part of her friends against the lord.

Zero felt it was foolish. Not just the idea of a revolt, but how they were caught before they could even gather their weapons. This happened due to an information leak from one of their so-called friends. According to Zero, there are no humans that won’t betray you.

Unlike the others, however, Zero was not tortured. This was because she didn’t have a single friend to put together such an outrageous plan in the first place. Instead of having her bones broken or fingernails torn out, she was merely struck by a whip.

She no longer felt the burning pain on her back from all the whipping. She no longer had any senses and could no longer feel the coldness of the rain hitting her back. It was a strange feeling of knowing that she was going to die soon, as she said to herself, “What a lousy life…” and burst into laughter. There wasn’t something she would consider a ‘best day,’ as each day was worse, whether it was rainy or sunny. Her entire life was a ‘worst day’ from the start. Zero then explains that her oldest memory is the voice of her mother shouting and the countless beatings that followed. She never ate until her stomach was full, so she had to learn how to steal food before she could even learn to speak properly.

Although Zero was brought up in such a manner, she didn’t blame her mother or consider her a bad woman. This is because the only children with warm meals and beds were the lucky ones from noble families. Otherwise, children born to other families were nothing but a nuisance. Zero believes that her mother raised her the same way she was raised before her.

When Zero became of age, her mother began to sell her, as a way to ‘comfort’ men. Going to brothels was a common occurrence for her, where there were many others similar to her mother, along with other young girls that were close to Zero’s age. Of all the young girls, there was one in particular that became good friends with Zero. This young girl called Zero by the name of ‘Light Pink’ because of her eye color. That is how Zero learned about the color of her eyes, as she had never even looked at herself in a mirror, nor had she ever been curious to know what she looked like.

Zero called her new friend ‘Bluish-Purple’ for the same reason. These were the names they gave each other.

One day, Bluish-Purple said, “Let’s steal some money and run away,” which Zero agreed to, as she felt she could do anything with her new friend. After taking the money and making a run from the town, they crossed a bridge where a man was waiting with a horse. This familiar man was a customer who was infatuated with Bluish-Purple.

“Don’t take it the wrong way, Light Pink,” Bluish-Purple said with her usual smile. Then, the two made a run for it, while Zero was arrested. Despite this, she didn’t hold a grudge against Bluish-Purple, but against herself for being naive enough to trust another person. It was at this point, that Zero had decided she would do better at her next opportunity, which was just a few months away.

When the decisive day finally arrived, Zero managed to take the money and run, much more easily than Bluish-Purple had managed.

In order to keep herself safe from pursuers, she decided to kill the people at the brothel, which was easier than she had expected. Next, in order to prevent any further pursuers, she went on a murderous rampage and eliminated all of the hired soldiers that were half asleep and drunk at the bar. She managed to gather as much money she could hold, and left town before sunrise.

Things didn’t go according to plan, however, as Zero was immediately captured shortly after leaving town. This time, it was by a group of bandits. They took all of her money and were about to sell her off, but she managed to find a way to escape. By now, Zero had decided that it would be better for her to not have any money, as she would no longer have anything worth losing. From this point on, she had also decided that she’d no longer rely on a man or anyone else to protect her—it would only lead to betrayal. She had decided that she would protect herself with her very own hands and trust no one but herself.

“I don’t have a name. I don’t have anything. Without money, I have no house. Not a single family member or lover, nothing. It’s almost amazing. I only have this life, but soon I will no longer have that, either.” She was the remaining zero. This was the start of Zero’s sorrowful journey.

-News and Trailers
First Promotional Video for the game
The Dragon Mikhail, Part 1
The Dragon Mikhail, Part 2
Taro Yoko talks about Drakengard and the themes of the series
A small summary of the four apostles of Zero
Aerial battles in glorious 240p
Zero cosplaying as Caim!
The producer wants to leave a scar on you
An interesting interview that claims the dev wants to preserve the old ways!

-Official Artwork & Screenshots

:siren:P.S.
I've been sitting on this OP for a long while. If something's wrong or out of order, be sure to blast me for it and I will make it right :downs:. Same goes for anything to be added!

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

-Characters

Zero

Full Story Here
The protagonist of the story. She has a prosthetic arm and a flower growing from her eye. She's out to kill all of her sisters for an unknown reason and won't be stopped. She is joined by her sister One and the dragon Mikhail, a white dragon. She is lazy and violent in nature, often getting into heated arguments with One, where their beliefs clash.

Mikhail

Full Story Here
An idealistic and child-demeanoured dragon. His pacifist-like personality clashes with the violence of Zero which inevitably frustrates her. It is to be noted that the dragon is a reincarnated form of another person in another life and he has a different name.

quote:

"Zero, you meanie! You… you fibster!"

One

An Utautai that wishes for peace and stability, even going so far as to question why the Utahime exist and why they had descended in the first place. She wants to rise on top of all the Utautai in order to bring peace to the world while Zero simply wants to kill them.

Two

Full Story Here
A girl that looks as cool as ice who governs the country of sand. A bright, cheerful girl who is the life of the party between her sisters.

quote:

TWO ~ TODAY’S MEAL

"Is there anything I can help you with, Lady Two?"

"Cent, I told you not to call me that when it’s just the two of us…" I trail off.

Cent calls me Lady in front of the others to keep up appearances, but I made him promise long ago to call me Two when we’re alone (although it’s only recently he’s begun to oblige). So why…? I stop pouring water into the big pot I was holding and turn around. As I do, I hear harried footsteps running away from the kitchen… I could tell from their backs that it was the chefs who’d been peeking in on us.

"Ah, I see."

That’s why Cent suddenly starting addressing me politely.

"Sheesh! I already told them I’d be fine cooking on my own. Don’t they trust me?"

I said, puffing my cheeks. Large hands softly cupped them, and before my eyes was Cent’s ultra handsome face.

"They’re only concerned for you. You are our precious Lady Songstress, after all."

OMIGAWD! Steam is ready to shoot from my ears! I hope my face isn’t all red…!

"Of course, no one in the world thinks of you more preciously than I do…"

Omigawd! Omigawd! Omigawd! Omigawd!

"Two?"

Why does Cent have so be this handsome?! This gallant and charming and nice?! He’s got a great sense of humor, too! And when we’re alone, he’s so… so… eek!

"Two? Are you not feeling well? Maybe you should lie down in your bed…"

My bed? D-d-d-d-don’t talk about beds right now!

Three

Full Story here
An eccentric goddess mistaken for being slothful, but is usually lost in her own world. She harbors an obsession with dolls and rules a forest country. She is seen as lethargic and carries herself languidly, which is said to be a reason some soldiers take a liking to her.

quote:

Three — My Dolls Are Nice Dolls

Month X / Day X

Today, I made my first doll. Although I copied someone else’s way of making it, it’s my very own doll that I made. It turned out much better than I thought, so I was very pleased.

Month X / Day X

The Mr. Soldier doll I copied, is actually from a game called “chess”. The Mr. Soldier I took from the lord’s castle was the first doll I’ve ever owned. I’ve always liked dolls since I was little, but I’ve never had one of my own. After I got caught taking it outside the castle, One scolded me, but I couldn’t let go of the doll. Because, it was my first. Even if I get scolded, I like dolls.

Month X / Day X

Today, I made my eighth doll. I am now done with the black Mr. Soldier dolls. I think I’ll start making white Mr. Soldier dolls tomorrow.

Four

Full story here
The more reserved and seemingly timid of the sisters. Deep down she is no different from her sisters, yet remains a virgin - the only one among the Utautai. She rules a mountainous country with an earnest and thoughtful personality, but behind the formality lies an inferiority complex.

quote:

Four — Family Portrait

“Five! It was Five, right? The person that just left these clothes here. Put them away!” snarled Four, as she expressed her dislike towards her sister’s slobbish manners.

Four and the others had been traveling and have rented a place to stay, and Four believed that the proper conduct was to leave it in perfect condition by the time they depart. Messes were simply outrageous.

Even so, Five treated the room as her own. She would leave her clothes lying around, and make a mess with her food. “Five… you’re such a troublesome child,” Four sighed.

In addition to taking care of the cleaning up, Four also had to sew clothes. Rather, if she let that klutz Five do it, she’d only prick her finger with the needle and raise a fuss. In the end, Four thought of all the trouble she would have to put up with, and decided that it was often best to just take care of things herself.

As she spread the clothing out to check for any further damage that needed fixing, Four noticed strands of hair on the floor. “You, too, Three?”

This was a terrible habit of her other sister’s, Three, who would sit around and cut her hair, only to leave her strands about as litter. It was true that her hair grew much faster than what was considered normal, but Four still couldn’t help but feel that her sister only did these things for the sake of amusing herself.

Five

Full story here
The greedy goddess that rules the water country who has said that the world is made up of things she wants and what she really wants. Overly picky, she fits the archetype of arrogance like a diamond-studded glove with golden cufflinks.

quote:

Five — My Favorite Things

Five is known for being an eccentric and avaricious lady, which is apparent within the first line of her story—“The world is made up of things I want and things I really want.”

She claims that it is an imitation of her older sister, Two, who claims, “The world is made of things I like and things I really like,” which resulted in her own question, “What is the world to me?”

Unlike her older sister, Five is not as tender of a person, as she does not exactly like everything the world has to offer. There are many things she dislikes, such as food that is not suited to her palate, clothing that isn’t considered beautiful, and people that speak only of boring matters. However, just because Five doesn’t like something, it doesn’t mean she doesn’t want it. The only difference for Five is that there are some things she only has a little desire for, while she desires other things to a much greater extent.

Some of the things Five desires are beautiful accessories, clothing and shoes. Golden accessories are always better than silver, and pieces with valuable jewels such as diamonds and emeralds are the best. Finely-laced dresses and handkerchiefs are also a must!

-The Apostles

Dito

Full Story Here
A beautiful young man with a contradictory brutal personality. He has sharp insights, but also a sadistic nature, as he feels joy when deeply injuring opponents and hearing them scream in pain when tormented.

quote:

DITO - THIS REPULSIVE WORLD

I hear the sound of the waves. It annoys me, but this being a seaside country, there’s no getting away from it, save for sleep. Another morning… I think wearily to myself. I wish the sun had never risen. Then I wouldn’t have to go through another exasperating day… but no. If the sun had never rose, it would still be night. Nights are worse… because at nights, I have to…

I stop thinking before the bad memories fully came back to me. But just the hint of them made my whole body shudder. That’s when I heard her voice.
“Dito?”
The same voice as in the memories I was trying to avoid. I should have tried to feign sleep a little longer… this woman is as dense as a brick, yet surprisingly sensitive to my movements. This… sow-like woman.

Decad

Full story here
A middle-aged brawny man with glasses who fights with his fists. He secretly considers his pains and adversities to be some sort of rewarding trial that he enjoys in a masochistic manner, but he still has common sense and consideration towards women.

quote:

All is for Her Sake

"Could you die for me?"

These were the first words my mistress, Lady Four, ever spoke to me. I still remember vividly the sound of her voice, the expression on her face, even the clearness of her eyes as she looked up at me. As soon as she had finished speaking, she made a face, as if she were looking at something strange. She gazed at me for a long time; I think perhaps she was still a little unsure of what an Apostle was.

I, of course, understood my duty completely. It was to never leave my Intoner’s side, to serve her faithfully, to withstand the very fires of hell to protect her… the very fires of hell… fire… burning… ooh!

Uh, erm. That is to say, that was how I understood it. But I wasn’t yet sure what Lady Four’s exact expectations of me were, this being our first meeting. As a result I found myself unable to answer her at once. But Lady Four did not get angry. Instead, as if blaming herself, she continued thus:

"Oh… I’m sorry. What I meant was, would you be willing to die for an Intoner, one responsible for protecting this world? That is… could you put your life on the line for the sake of this world? I-I didn’t mean you should say you’d want to die for me personally…"

This time I answered promptly. “Yes, of course. If it is to serve you, I am ready to withstand any trial, no matter how torturous… torture… ooh!”

"Decad? Are you all right?"

"Y-yes! I’m just fine."

Cento

Full Story Here
Cento is a young man with a cross-shaped scar across his stomach. Cento’s weapon of choice are dual blades. He’s a handsome man who has nothing but absolute confidence in himself, but he often makes the mistake of announcing his knowledge, which might seem cocky to others.

quote:

"Are you okay, Cent? You’re not hurt anywhere, are you?"

Said my mistress, the Lady Two, after felling the last of the monsters with her great sword. I knew she would ask; an apostle like me can fathom what the Intoner he serves might say before she says it.
"Not at all. Of greater concern is you, Lady Two…"

The state of her own body was far more important than my own. After all, she had just finished slaying a Minotaur that was two… no, three times her size, and in the middle of a desert, no less. The sweltering sun rays and the merciless gales were just as much our enemies. In terms of unabated harshness, I could imagine no worse a battlefield in the entire world than the one we stood in now.

And yet all my Lady had to say was:

"I told you not to call me Lady! When we’re alone, you promised to just call me Two!” While puffing her cheeks out in annoyance.

Octa

Full Story Here
An older man who uses special ring-like weapons. He walks around wearing a pair of amazingly tall wooden clogs. The old man is considered the best of the Apostles when it comes to sexual activities, an abnormality for his age that he is proud for.

quote:

"I just assumed he shoved the faerie up his rear end in a top hat."

(still adding stories)

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 13, 2013

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, TheDarkId, time to start your therapy in advance to prepare for this one.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
This actually makes me very very happy. I have an unnatural love for this series.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Unfortunately never played the last games since grindy combat would drive me insane, but these games always seemed like an endless series of punches to the gut and I wish more games experimented with themes like that so I'm happy to see this.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Hey I know this is a thing. Yes I will LP it at some point. Probably quite shortly after its release. Stop telling/asking me. STOP! I KNOW! I loving KNOW!!!!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Dark Id posted:

Hey I know this is a thing. Yes I will LP it at some point. Probably quite shortly after its release. Stop telling/asking me. STOP! I KNOW! I loving KNOW!!!!

It's gonna be okay ma-...I can't even say it. It's Taro Yoko. Nothing is going to be okay.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

You'll never escape from internet fame!

In other news I heard that comic being made around the time the game was announced is unrelated/alternative a prequel to the actual game, so here's a link to that if people want to read what's been translated so far.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 6, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey cool more Drakengard... okay that's a sentence I never thought I'd type out.

I actually really liked Nier, got the full OST in my thumb drive in my car though I should probably get around to paring down the dozen different versions of Yonah's theme. Game itself was alright too. So if they lean more towards Nier's style and less towards, well, Drakengard's, than D3 should be pretty good.

The protagonist is basically a girl version of Guts minus the giant sword. Hopefully we get a giant sword in this game.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The comic is poo poo. It's like someone heard that Drakengard is supposed to be "dark and edgy", didn't actually check the games out, and decided oh hey, must mean rape, cannibalism, fuckwords, more rape. So edgy.

The first Drakengard I appreciate, because amidst the horrid, dissonant samples that its score consisted of, there was something beautiful: Actual famous classical music!

God, Igor Stravinsky would've utterly loathed what they did. :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Mazed posted:

The comic is poo poo. It's like someone heard that Drakengard is supposed to be "dark and edgy", didn't actually check the games out, and decided oh hey, must mean rape, cannibalism, fuckwords, more rape. So edgy.

The first Drakengard I appreciate, because amidst the horrid, dissonant samples that its score consisted of, there was something beautiful: Actual famous classical music!

God, Igor Stravinsky would've utterly loathed what they did. :v:

Wasn't it said that they took classical music and mashed it up to get some of the music in Drakengard 1?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Oh hey cool more Drakengard... okay that's a sentence I never thought I'd type out.

I actually really liked Nier, got the full OST in my thumb drive in my car though I should probably get around to paring down the dozen different versions of Yonah's theme. Game itself was alright too. So if they lean more towards Nier's style and less towards, well, Drakengard's, than D3 should be pretty good.

The protagonist is basically a girl version of Guts minus the giant sword. Hopefully we get a giant sword in this game.

I'm worried about the game's graphics more than anything :v:

I think the combat will still be fluid though from the videos. Maybe it will be more addicting than Dynasty Warriors 8? In terms of weapons I believe that she'll have a similar menagerie of weapons like Caim, maybe more than what we know now or there is a giant weapon for one or all of the types!

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is this a gore hentai game or what?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Wasn't it said that they took classical music and mashed it up to get some of the music in Drakengard 1?

Yep, literally that. Most easily identifiable amidst the chaos is bits of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, among other things. There were a few pieces that seem to be entirely original, but they kept the same dissonant aesthetic as the rest. Most notable is the series' recurring song "Growing Wings", and the music you play a rhythm game against to get the final ending.

Speaking of Growing Wings, Keiichi Okabe (NieR's composer, who's in on Drakengard 3) did his take on it.

Hear that?

That's the work of a man who gets Drakengard. :stonklol:

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

So is this a gore hentai game or what?

More like a normal game but with gore hentai characters, I guess.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

boblemoche posted:

More like a normal game but with gore hentai characters, I guess.

And child murder. Good to know the devs still hate children with a burning passion judging by whats posted so far.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Mazed posted:

It does bear repeating that video game mangas usually have gently caress all to do with the game itself. There's some really stupid "edgy" supplementary material for Nier too, which they for one reason or another keep out of the games themselves.

You know, before people start declaring this game a stillborn because of that crap again. Rather than the "KAWAIIII" dragon voice.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 6, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This sounds like a complete abomination. I'm already looking forward to it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I really like the song used for the Drakengard 3 trailers: This Silence Is Mine. I eagerly await the full version.

Man, I love Drakengard 1's soundtrack. What other games have contemporary music for their soundtrack? None of them.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Two and Three look like they're taking cues from a couple of other dark and edgy magical anime girls.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Cephas posted:

Two and Three look like they're taking cues from a couple of other dark and edgy magical anime girls.

How can you tell? That just looks like any generic anime to me.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Great job OP! I'm glad the game has its own thread now so I can quit spamming the Nier one.

Here are my additions:

I translated a few of the short stories. You've linked to my most recent one for Decad, but here are the rest:
Zero's Story - The Final Rain and the First Flower
Two's Story - Today's Meal
Dito's Story - This Repulsive World

I also translated the sample weapon stories that have been released so far:
Widow's Guilt & Blossom of the Pilgrim
Death Knell & Ironcluster

quote:

They are both Utautai, which means "singer" in Japanese, and are basically powerful goddesses each with their own distinct personalities and sordid history.

Just a note that Utautai is being officially translated as Intoner. I was using using Songstress in my translation, since I felt that was a closer translation of the Japanese words which have a theatrical tone (Utautai means something like Song Troupe, and the individual term for an Intoner, Utahime, means Singing Princess), but have also since switched to using the official translation.

Lunethex posted:

The game was successful enough to spawn a sequel starring a character not nearly as cool as Caim and it wasn't canon.

Drakengard 2 wasn't directed by Taro Yoko and had a different writer, I believe, but while it's much more tame and typically JRPGish and therefore not as liked, there's nothing suggesting it's not canon. Nowe and Legna were even included in the Drakengard 10 year anniversary illustration done by the main series artist along with Caim/Angelus, Nier/Weiss and Zero/Mikhail.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What were they thinking using Intoner instead of Songstress anyway? Songstress is still archaic and formal and somewhat stilted, while Intoner just sounds like a fantasy-novel-writing idiot with a thesaurus was let loose on the script.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Some extra stuff:

One of the main two theme songs, Kuroi Uta (Black Song) by Aoi Eir has been released (click to listen). This is the same song that was used in the first trailer.

There's an additional Drakengard-related manga being serialized right now, called Utahime Five, starring younger versions of the Intoner sisters. The artwork isn't as good as in Red Unto Death, but the storyline is a little more interesting (and not as needlessly grim dark). Unfortunately it isn't being translated!

DLC has been announced which amounts to two additional outfits for Zero which were decided via fan vote. The first is a version of Kaine's costume, obtainable only by pre-ordering the limited edition 10th Anniversary Box (orders for which have now been closed):

The second is Caim's costume (along with his sword) which can be obtained by purchasing the Japanese guidebook, going on sale a week or so after the game:

Also... TWITTER ICONS:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Hey thanks for all the stuff :haw:

I'll add it ASAP, and thanks for clearing a few things up.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Drakengard 1 and 2 are bad games but I have a soft spot for them, and I listen to the Drakengard 1 soundtrack all the time. Nier was an actual good game and I will not hear a word against it :mad:

Looking forward to 3 for some reason!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

quote:

I suppose this is going to be Dark Id's avatar at some point.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Lotish posted:

I suppose this is going to be Dark Id's avatar at some point.

Considering they've sent the guy merchandise in apparent thanks for hyping up NieR in his LP, it's not entirely out of the question that they know exactly what we do to his avatar. :tinfoil:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hopefully the game's combat will be totally passable like Nier's and not a complete grindfest like the first two games.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Hopefully the game's combat will be totally passable like Nier's and not a complete grindfest like the first two games.

The gameplay they've shown so far looks decent. Zero moves around pretty speedily, you've got the four different types of weapons you can switch between, the Intoner blood lust super mode and the ability to call the dragon down to fight on the ground... that should break up the monotony a bit, at least hopefully. In the original trailer, once you mounted the dragon there was some awful frame rate slow down but they've seemed to address that.

A lot of people have been really down on the graphics, though. I don't think they're awful, but they do seem to be a little less polished than Nier's, and I remember a lot of people complained about the graphics in that, too. Obviously we Cavia faithful aren't playing the game for the graphics, though.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mazed posted:

Considering they've sent the guy merchandise in apparent thanks for hyping up NieR in his LP, it's not entirely out of the question that they know exactly what we do to his avatar. :tinfoil:

Wait, they sent DarkId merchandise becase of his LP?

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

You know what else has a character's virginity as a plot point?

The Bible.

And this has dragons.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BioMe posted:

How can you tell? That just looks like any generic anime to me.

Madoka is fairly popular as of 2011, mainly because it was written by a guy who sleeps in HG Geiger's room and reads Faust and worships a tiny shrine dedicated to Lovecraft.

His work is generally known to be soul-crushing and people around the world eat it up, so much so that the Madoka movies actually got theater releases outside of Japan.

If it looks generic to you right now, it probably is because they essentially have already been copied several times by other works since then. Doesn't hurt that it is actually really good and doesn't fall for most of the tropes anime usually fall into.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

If it looks generic to you right now, it probably is because they essentially have already been copied several times by other works since then. Doesn't hurt that it is actually really good and doesn't fall for most of the tropes anime usually fall into.

To be fair the designs are intentionally fairly generic. Madoka is designed to make you think it's a normal magical girl style show when it starts.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I don't think it's been said but because One looks like Manah I'm going to reckon that Mikhail might be Seere. Or close to it. I can't wait to delete my entire save file to get the last ending.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lunethex posted:

I don't think it's been said but because One looks like Manah I'm going to reckon that Mikhail might be Seere. Or close to it. I can't wait to delete my entire save file to get the last ending.

No no, this time it deletes other save files to get the best ending. Starting in order of most time invested.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Sarkozymandias posted:

You know what else has a character's virginity as a plot point?

The Bible.

And this has dragons.

So does the bible : http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Dragons/ :devil:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Here are some more gameplay videos in decent quality:
Ground combat
Aerial combat
More ground combat

You'll either need to log into nicovideo (you can log in with Facebook) or use a mirror site like this one.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: The weapon switch thing is pretty neat. If I'm hearing correctly, whenever Zero goes into berserk mode, vocals kick in for the music track. That's a pretty cool touch. Especially with the dynamic music they had for Nier.

From the same youtube channel as the person who uploaded the theme song:

Some sample music from the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alckVn1l-SQ

Definitely having a real Drakengard 2 vibe. That's not a bad thing.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 7, 2013

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The music is not dissonant and insanity-inducing enough. They should have gotten Philip Glass. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Pesky Splinter posted:

If I'm hearing correctly, whenever Zero goes into berserk mode, vocals kick in for the music track. That's a pretty cool touch. Especially with the dynamic music they had for Nier

I wonder if it's actually supposed to be Zero singing while berserking. I certainly hope that's the case.

• Locked thread