Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
I finally picked up my bottle of 1999 Karuizawa Cask Strength from K&L: http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1124621
It's incredible and I wish I had bought more than one bottle. Now hunting down some Hakushu 18 as that sounds amazing as well.

Also, one quick reason I'm happy to live in CA: K&L is selling Uigeadail for $53 a bottle http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1011309. Yum yum yum peat on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Hibiki 12 -- Very similar to Yamazaki, but not as good... smooth, sweeter than your average highland, but goes bitter/biting pretty quickly. Not much finish.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban...now that's a fine Scotch. Notes on the cork included apple and chocolate, mint and chocolate on the first taste. Just a drat fine product for $54 including tax. Best birthday present to myself ever! :)

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Picked up some Talisker Storm last weekend as it was special offer in a supermarket. Pretty nice, a drop of water in it and you could easily believe it came from Islay as opposed to Skye.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was reading a discussion about making a whisk(e)y decanter and started wondering, what type of drinkers are most likely to decant their alcohol? Would it be someone who drinks the same brand all the time and wants a nicer looking container or someone who is more of a connoisseur? The former is probably brand loyal and doesn't seem likely to decant while the latter probably has a large variety and decanting wouldn't be practical. So maybe a person who only drinks socially and doesn't want a whiskey bottle out in the open? So who decants and why?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

wormil posted:

I was reading a discussion about making a whisk(e)y decanter and started wondering, what type of drinkers are most likely to decant their alcohol? Would it be someone who drinks the same brand all the time and wants a nicer looking container or someone who is more of a connoisseur? The former is probably brand loyal and doesn't seem likely to decant while the latter probably has a large variety and decanting wouldn't be practical. So maybe a person who only drinks socially and doesn't want a whiskey bottle out in the open? So who decants and why?
My guess is that the modern decanter-user only uses one when a) there is company over, b) the whiskey brand/bottle isn't socially impressive, c) they have a suitable heirloom or antique decanter. I was under the impression that whiskey should be stored in a cool, dark place and a decanter is neither of those things. I guess you might affect to use one if you drink so much whiskey so regularly that you have a high turnover and the constant exposure to light/heat is a non-issue.

I'm guessing the popularity of Mad Men would have increased the use of decanters as an affectation but really I always figured the "60's office" use of them was because they were using whiskies that wouldn't impress clients, and because clients would just expect decanters to be used. That has changed, along with the expectation of seeing open alcohol and being offered a drink when you enter an office. Also guessing there was a reasonably high turnover in those settings.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only situation I could imagine using one now is if it was an heirloom or had a good story behind it. Or if it was hand blown by/for me.

Basically, something so out of the norm now would raise a question from a guest, and I would only use it if the question led to a cool answer or conversation starter. "My great grandfather hid it from Nazis" is awesome. "I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond because I registered for it while my wife wasn't looking," is not.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kenny Logins posted:

My guess is that the modern decanter-user only uses one when a) there is company over, b) the whiskey brand/bottle isn't socially impressive, c) they have a suitable heirloom or antique decanter. I was under the impression that whiskey should be stored in a cool, dark place and a decanter is neither of those things. I guess you might affect to use one if you drink so much whiskey so regularly that you have a high turnover and the constant exposure to light/heat is a non-issue.

I'm guessing the popularity of Mad Men would have increased the use of decanters as an affectation but really I always figured the "60's office" use of them was because they were using whiskies that wouldn't impress clients, and because clients would just expect decanters to be used. That has changed, along with the expectation of seeing open alcohol and being offered a drink when you enter an office. Also guessing there was a reasonably high turnover in those settings.

It's also important to know that lead crystal decanters (which is most of them) leach lead into the alcohol. Within 24 hours, the amount in the booze is 100 times the EPA's limit for drinking water.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's also important to know that lead crystal decanters (which is most of them) leach lead into the alcohol. Within 24 hours, the amount in the booze is 100 times the EPA's limit for drinking water.

Oh man really? I was gifted not one but two whisky decanters near my 30th birthday.... i will be very sad if it turns out they're actually BAD for my booze.

and not the least because the better part of a bottle of ardbeg rollercoaster is in one and eagle rare single barrel in the other.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It could be lead free crystal if they're new production and not ~vintage~.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

wormil posted:

I never got why you would decant it. Do you have a link to that thread?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Leaded booze? Kickin it roman style I see.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Does anyone else use one of these?

It's a glass cover for a glencairn glass/sherry copita. It makes the glass look like it has a cut nipple on top of it, but that's just one of its perks. Another is that it traps in the aroma so leaving the whisky sitting for a moment with the cover on top gives you a more concentrated aromatic experience. The same could be done with one's hand or some other object but unlike them glass is certain to impart no aromas of its own. All told very worth the few euros/dollars it costs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

8astard0 posted:

I never got why you would decant it. Do you have a link to that thread?

It isn't worth reading. The guy was making one out of wood and was going to line it with epoxy. I was trying to convince him it was a terrible idea.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I just bought a bottle of Laphroig Quarter Cask to open as a reward once I have all my grad school applications in. I'm pretty excited, since Laphroig 10-Year is my favorite out of all the spirits I've tried, and apparently Quarter Cask is more of the best parts of that.

On an unrelated note, a friend was telling me that adding a couple drops of water to whiskey brings out the flavor more. Something about denaturing some parts of it, he wasn't sure exactly what. Is this an actual thing, assuming I normally have my whiskey neat, or is it more of a ploy to get me to invite everyone over to double-blind-test my scotch?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nolanar posted:

On an unrelated note, a friend was telling me that adding a couple drops of water to whiskey brings out the flavor more. Something about denaturing some parts of it, he wasn't sure exactly what. Is this an actual thing, assuming I normally have my whiskey neat, or is it more of a ploy to get me to invite everyone over to double-blind-test my scotch?

Higher proof whiskey does benefit from it. I don't know why but like my Old Grand-Dad 101 is good neat but spectacular with a splash of water.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
So I got some Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey today and it tastes awesome! Normally when I get hard liquor like whiskey or rum I add root beer or sprite or something to disguise the taste. I can drink this stuff straight out of the bottle.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Deleuzionist posted:

Does anyone else use one of these?

It's a glass cover for a glencairn glass/sherry copita. It makes the glass look like it has a cut nipple on top of it, but that's just one of its perks. Another is that it traps in the aroma so leaving the whisky sitting for a moment with the cover on top gives you a more concentrated aromatic experience. The same could be done with one's hand or some other object but unlike them glass is certain to impart no aromas of its own. All told very worth the few euros/dollars it costs.

Yes. I have some stemmed Ardbeg glasses that came with them. For normal Glencairns I use a watch glass for the same effect. Much cheaper too.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I'm just getting into whiskeys and so far I've enjoyed Jim Beam black label and Wild Turkey 101, but I got a bottle of Jameson on a recommendation and I can't stomach it. I feel like I'm missing something because it tastes like garbage.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jamie is easily the most overrated spirit going right now. I think it's fine, but it's not got a lot going on in the flavor department, and for someone who's not quite used whiskey drinking it could totally be off-putting.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, LCBO in Ontario is doing their Whiskey Rocks event where all the whiskey's are on sale, and they have some special ones. I found a gem. Canadian Club Classic. CC is usually pretty crap but this is actually decent. Not harsh, and good for sipping straight up. It was also decently cheap.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Above Our Own posted:

I'm just getting into whiskeys and so far I've enjoyed Jim Beam black label and Wild Turkey 101, but I got a bottle of Jameson on a recommendation and I can't stomach it. I feel like I'm missing something because it tastes like garbage.

Jameson is very different from bourbon, not as sweet or smooth. Try it again in a year or two.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jameson is a thing. Not a bad thing mind you, but out of the two widely available Irish whiskeys I go for Tullamore Dew over Jameson. I find it a little sweeter and more pleasant, about what I want out of a simple whiskey.

e: It's also slightly cheaper for the base offering and a lot cheaper for the 10/12 year aged ones IIRC.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 12, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Irish whiskey is also just sort of boring.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

International Whisky Festival in The Hague this weekend, can't wait :woop:

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

wormil posted:

I can figure out pretty much one single modern use case for decanting a whisky: if I have a whisky I'm well aware benefits from being open for some time, like HP12, and I intend to use it as a session whisky when friends are coming over, it would make sense to decant it. Not a very common use case though.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Tried some Alberta Premium Dark Horse last night and I really enjoyed it. Doesn't hurt that a fifth is only $28. :canada:

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
PVW is in Chicago this morning for those of you willing to go chase for it. Binny's River North is out of 20 and 23. They didn't get any 15, but they do have Rye and the 10 I believe kicking still.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Compusaurus posted:

PVW is in Chicago this morning for those of you willing to go chase for it. Binny's River North is out of 20 and 23. They didn't get any 15, but they do have Rye and the 10 I believe kicking still.
All out at River North when I was just over there. He said they sold out in about 35 minutes.

Very annoying edit: Two friends of mine were just there and got bottles of the 10. Guess they were lying to me when they said they were sold out.

Tambreet fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 13, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I have a chance to buy Rip Van Winkle 10 or 12, as someone newish to whiskey, is that a good buy?

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Yes.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

ChiTownEddie posted:

I have a chance to buy Rip Van Winkle 10 or 12, as someone newish to whiskey, is that a good buy?

No, you should send it to me instead.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but since it's related to the drink:

Can you guys give me some 5-6oz size hip flask recommendations? Something that won't alter the taste of its contents while it's in there for a day (or two, max), and can fit into a pocket.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Port Charlotte 10 is extremely light but a beautifully profiled peaty isla, reminsicent ot ledaig

Bowmore 12 is supremely easy drinking and sweeter than most islay's i've ever had. maybe i'm justinured at this point in the night, but it barely feels like there's bite.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
The Glenrothes, both the 1998 bottling and the Select Reserve, are a wonderful jigger on a chilly day. They unfroze m'nose and warmed my belly well. Completely caught off guard by the tasting, I had to sit in the cigar store while I reclaimed my brain enough to drive. Oh, well...I can go to the supermarket tomorrow. Drunk shopping for food was fun when I was 22. Nothing is fun at 39 :).

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Above Our Own posted:

This is interesting because until recently Wild Turkey and Jameson were both owned by Pernod Ricard so I wouldn't be surprised if your Jameson was actually (partially) aged in old Wild Turkey barrels!

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Bowmore 12 is supremely easy drinking and sweeter than most islay's i've ever had. maybe i'm justinured at this point in the night, but it barely feels like there's bite.
I think it's the Bowmore more than your senses becoming dulled. The current 12,15,18 lineup is easy drinking, which in an Islay is a bit of a letdown, partially also because it doesn't repay the easiness with complexity.

Bought a few bottles of Laphroaig Cask Strength (batch 003 2011), and since I have a 12yo Lagavulin, a young Bunnahabhain (Bn4), Ardbeg Alligator and a small leftover of a 11yo single cask Caol Ila I think I'm going to put them all on the table at once soon.

I found a sample of Buffalo Trace I bought pretty fun. Will have to try Elijah Craig 12yo next.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Haverchuck posted:

This is interesting because until recently Wild Turkey and Jameson were both owned by Pernod Ricard so I wouldn't be surprised if your Jameson was actually (partially) aged in old Wild Turkey barrels!

Jameson uses sherry barrels. :eng101:+:cheers:

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Haverchuck posted:

I tried drinking it chilled with some ginger ale, that helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
FYI, regular Jameson is the lowest-level offering that Jameson produces. You can get a bottle for like $20. Try to pick up a bottle of the 12yo for around $40, it's tons better. If you find a decent bar that has the 12yo, ask them to pour you a shot (or half-shot) of that, next to one of regular Jameson. Try the 12yo first, then attempt to stomach the regular stuff. You'll notice quite a difference!