Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

In the article I read as well it was obvious that the four series share the same continuity but not wether they would tie into the film's and Agents of Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh my, I just got to the racist truck episode of Supernatural. This is amazing

The best part of this is how they continuously mock the episode later in the series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

FOUR new Marvel TV Series, Daredevil, Iron First, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones have just been announced.

ALL of them are exclusive to Netflix and will conclude with a cross over miniseries.

Starts next year with Daredevil.

Ahhhh ahhhhh ahhhhh!!!!!

Alias is like one of my favorite comic series ever and they will mos def have to have a Jessica Jones/Luke Cage crossover. And a Luke Cage/Iron Fist crossover.

AHHHHHHHH!

Also can you link the article so's I can send it around?

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 7, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Ahhhh ahhhhh ahhhhh!!!!!

Alias is like one of my favorite comic series ever and they will mos def have to have a Jessica Jones/Luke Cage crossover. And a Luke Cage/Iron Fist crossover.

AHHHHHHHH!

Also can you link the article so's I can send it around?

Here you go http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_to_develop_historic_four_series_epic_plus_a_mini-series_event

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool thanks.

I wonder if they are going to make them family friendly or go premium cable style :getin:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I downloaded a new episode, so I'm guessing no???

BTW, who is everybodys guess for Red John? If not for the Profiler thing I would say it was going to be Xander Berkeley, but since I am assuming that rules him out I don't have a clue.

The FBI guy is my guess. CBI-Bossman seems too obvious and the sheriff - I simply like him too much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

After reading the article it sounds like it's gonna be an American Horror Story-style anthology, one season for each of the four heroes leading up to the Defenders bookend season in 2015. But that's still hella awesome.

e: I still use "hella" in the 21st century

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Junkenstein posted:

Absolutely, as long as you don't watch it for the mythos. It's kind of the opposite to today's TV in that regard. I guess some of the season 1 episodes would come across as pretty poor nowadays too. Maybe watch some of the best ones and then skip to season 2?

Yeah, the episodes that have actually stuck with me the longest from X-Files are a handful of the MOTWs, things like the fluke-man or Eugene Tooms.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As most of you know, Vince Gilligan got his start on X-files and his episodes are absolutely outstanding. Darren Morgan's are also very very good. Honestly, the worst episodes are anything written by Chris Carter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

As most of you know, Vince Gilligan got his start on X-files and his episodes are absolutely outstanding. Darren Morgan's are also very very good. Honestly, the worst episodes are anything written by Chris Carter.

Wrong the worst episodes are ones written late in the series. Chris Carter wrote some pretty great episodes in the first couple of seasons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Wrong the worst episodes are ones written late in the series. Chris Carter wrote some pretty great episodes in the first couple of seasons.

I quit after season 6.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

I quit after season 6.

All I know is the best episode to watch late at night is Home.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 7, 2013

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Darin Morgan episodes, both on X-Files and Millennium, are some of the best TV ever made.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

PriorMarcus posted:

FOUR new Marvel TV Series, Daredevil, Iron First, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones have just been announced.

ALL of them are exclusive to Netflix and will conclude with a cross over miniseries.

Starts next year with Daredevil.

I was talking with my dad a few days ago about how fun it was that the Marvel stuff we were into when I was a kid is getting the kind of treatment we couldn't have imagined. I need to call him and make sure he isn't dead after reading this.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Slamhound posted:

The Darin Morgan episodes, both on X-Files and Millennium, are some of the best TV ever made.

This got me wondering what happened to him, and the answer is.... not much. Did some stuff on Fringe and that's about it. Shame, you'd think the current TV climate would be great for his talent.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

This got me wondering what happened to him, and the answer is.... not much. Did some stuff on Fringe and that's about it. Shame, you'd think the current TV climate would be great for his talent.
He wrote a script for the short-lived Bionic Woman reboot, but that's about it. I think I read somewhere that he just doesn't like writing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm a nerd and I have no idea who iron Fist, Luke Cage or Jessica Jones are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This is Luke Cage in the 70s

Lately he has been an Avenger and he set up with his best friend Iron Fist Heroes for Hire, which is Superheroes PI. Jessica Jones is also a PI and Luke Cage's wife.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 7, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

This is Nic Cage

No it's not.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I understand why I should be excited but this seems really desperate and ill-advised for having something, anything to do with street level characters. Problem is, I don't believe the stakes can be raised any higher than baddie in a penthouse sending out his goons with each series individually dealing until the team-up to take back the city, which win or lose will only be a headline about crime stats being down for two weeks and maybe some McGuffin to perpetuate struggle. A Spider-Man character works because while being street he's still a visually impressive A-list guy who can save the world and stop a purse snatching all the same, but this motley crew feels like the actual real life failures and pajama enthusiasts who dress up as superheroes and mobile phone in the real crimes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

soapgish posted:

I understand why I should be excited but this seems really desperate and ill-advised for having something, anything to do with street level characters. Problem is, I don't believe the stakes can be raised any higher than baddie in a penthouse sending out his goons with each series individually dealing until the team-up to take back the city, which win or lose will only be a headline about crime stats being down for two weeks and maybe some McGuffin to perpetuate struggle. A Spider-Man character works because while being street he's still a visually impressive A-list guy who can save the world and stop a purse snatching all the same, but this motley crew feels like the actual real life failures and pajama enthusiasts who dress up as superheroes and mobile phone in the real crimes.

This isn't really a motley crew as all the characters are pretty well related in the source material. It makes perfect sense for these four to be grouped together.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

soapgish posted:

Soem of the best comics that Marvel has released have involved these characters. Since Daredevil is involved Kingpin will be involved and he can really gently caress things up. Daredevil also has some really good villains that they could fight such as Bullseye and Purple Man. With Alias it could be like a film noir with superheroes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

soapgish posted:

In other words, you don't know poo poo about these characters.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The original Defenders was pretty great. It started out with hyper-powered heroes like Dr. Strange, the Hulk, the Silver Surfer and Submariner, then rapidly degenerated into a clusterfuck of whoever felt like showing up. Everyone from Valkyrie, to Valkyrie's host body's petulant ex-husband. One multi-issue run involved some hanger-on publicist running a tv ad inviting people to become members.

And about 30% of the plots involved trying to calm the Hulk down, but then just intentionally pissing him off and aiming him at the villain.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm a nerd and I have no idea who iron Fist, Luke Cage or Jessica Jones are.

Luke Cage is basically Black Dynamite.

Deadpool posted:

No it's not.

It is if you replace Doom in those frames with a woman in a bear suit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

70's Luke Cage was yeah, but nowadays he's just a cool guy.

But Michael Jai White would make an outstanding Power Man.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pumped about the Marvel/Netfix deal... Though it does it eliminate even more heroes from appearing in S.H.E.I.L.D (I'm assuming different continuities). I wonder if the series are going to take place concurrently or one after another?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

Black Dynamite basically was '70s Luke Cage. The current Luke Cage is pretty different.

The biggest thing all these characters have in common is Brian Michael Bendis. Who either created, reinvented, or completely reinvigorated all of them over the last decade.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Black Dynamite basically was '70s Luke Cage. The current Luke Cage is pretty different.

The biggest thing all these characters have in common is Brian Michael Bendis. Who either created, reinvented, or completely reinvigorated all of them over the last decade.

Except for Iron Fist. He was reinvigorated by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction. Funny enough Ed Brubaker was on How did this get made this week and mentioned some Hollywood stuff that he could not mention. I wounder if this was it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

His Daredevil run is just incredible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

His Daredevil run is just incredible.

His Alias run was as good or better.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This Alias you guys are talking about is not related to that lousy Jennifer Garner TV show, right?

lelandjs posted:

I'm pumped about the Marvel/Netfix deal... Though it does it eliminate even more heroes from appearing in S.H.E.I.L.D (I'm assuming different continuities). I wonder if the series are going to take place concurrently or one after another?

It's not like they're ever going to have any major superheroes in the SHIELD show, and that's assuming they'll even have minor superheroes.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
The most interesting thing to me is that this 4 series + miniseries event deal couldn't have happened on regular TV. What network, cable or otherwise, would pick up 4 different dramas based on superheroes, and commit to a miniseries crossover event? Netflix pretty much has unlimited space. They're not constricted by slotting stuff onto the air - as long as their viewers stream shows, they can pretty much put out whatever amount of content they please.

Also, this makes SHIELD look a little more worse for the wear in comparison.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

This Alias you guys are talking about is not related to that lousy Jennifer Garner TV show, right?

It's not like they're ever going to have any major superheroes in the SHIELD show, and that's assuming they'll even have minor superheroes.

Nah it's about a poor man's Ms Marvel who gives up being a superhero and becomes a PI.

Bobkatt's right too, it's outstanding.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Deadpool posted:

This isn't really a motley crew as all the characters are pretty well related in the source material. It makes perfect sense for these four to be grouped together.

A great example of how a sizable portion of the comic audience, and the entire general public, are going to respond to Daredevil getting demoted from major movie to streaming television just to be given a kung-fu movie sidekick, a girl who couldn't cut it, and the guy a lot of searches are going to return Nicholas Coppola on.

bobkatt013 posted:

Soem of the best comics that Marvel has released have involved these characters. Since Daredevil is involved Kingpin will be involved and he can really gently caress things up. Daredevil also has some really good villains that they could fight such as Bullseye and Purple Man. With Alias it could be like a film noir with superheroes.

I don't doubt one word of your educated response or enthusiasm, which I'm sure is running wild across the Internet right now, but on paper this all looks to me like a team the Harlem Globetrotters play deciding to get serious and to make a name for themselves. I don't know, maybe my perspective is all wrong on this but I'm thinking about how during the Battle of New York these four all looked out their windows, dropped some cuss words, then closed the blinds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Luke Cage doesn't even get a "Did you mean..."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

soapgish posted:

I don't doubt one word of your educated response or enthusiasm, which I'm sure is running wild across the Internet right now, but on paper this all looks to me like a team the Harlem Globetrotters play deciding to get serious and to make a name for themselves. I don't know, maybe my perspective is all wrong on this but I'm thinking about how during the Battle of New York these four all looked out their windows, dropped some cuss words, then closed the blinds.

Luke Cage has bulletproof skin and does not take poo poo from anyone. Jessica Jones can fly and has super strength, while the Iron Fist got his power by beating a dragon.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
SHIELD actually seems like it would be a pretty good position after all this. It could serve as the go between the cinematic side of MCU and this new expanded TV side. I doubt you'd get the Netflix heroes crossing over to the movies and vice versa, but it seems like some cross-promo work could get them on SHIELD.

I would think whoever gets the Kingpin part will have the most work, seems like the right role to cross over across all four series and the eventual mini when he could finally get taken down for good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

soapgish posted:

A great example of how a sizable portion of the comic audience, and the entire general public, are going to respond to Daredevil getting demoted from major movie to streaming television just to be given a kung-fu movie sidekick, a girl who couldn't cut it, and the guy a lot of searches are going to return Nicholas Coppola on.

You're looking for Thor and Iron Man and being disappointed when that's not what you're getting. You're also putting down the characters because you don't know them and since you don't know them they don't matter. And that's not really true at all. The general audience probably didn't know much about Iron Man or Thor before they had movies either. Of course they're not going to know about Luke Cage or Iron Fist. There will be some that know them from comics or cartoons, but most won't. Just because people don't know them doesn't mean they aren't viable characters worth promoting. With that logic no new properties would ever get a chance because nobody knew about them before. So yes, your perspective is wrong on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's dumb to compare the Avengers to any other single superhero because the Avengers fight literally the baddest asses in the entire universe. So yeah, Luke Cage isn't going to be punching out Thanos or anything but you can still have good drama and stories with them facing dudes relative to their power level. Cage and Iron Fist are Heroes for Hire so they have an interesting angle on the superhero trope in that they aren't doing what they do because of great responsibility, they are just trying to stack that paper. (Even though Danny Rand is rich as poo poo :shrug: )

• Locked thread