Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Deadpool posted:

No it's not.

We have no way to be sure who that is under Doom's armor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hasn't Luke Cage been one of the most important members of the Avengers for the last 5-6 years?

If he wasn't tied up with Brooklyn 99 then Terry Crews woulda been perfect :allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

We have no way to be sure who that is under Doom's armor!

Every time I see a post by you I want to respond as if I'm Burt Ward.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rarity posted:

Hasn't Luke Cage been one of the most important members of the Avengers for the last 5-6 years?

If he wasn't tied up with Brooklyn 99 then Terry Crews woulda been perfect :allears:

He was a huge focus when Bendis was writing the Avengers for his 10 years, but he is currently in limbo waiting for Bendis's Heroes for Hire book.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

This Alias you guys are talking about is not related to that lousy Jennifer Garner TV show, right?

Yeah, but its not much better. A few years ago comics started getting very talky and Alias was one of the books that led the trend. The only reason people say its good is because its different from the superhero books Marvel normally produces. However, when viewed next to movies, tv shows or actual books, it offers nothing new and, in many respects, offers it in an inferior package.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Rarity posted:

Based on when they film, there's a chance he could still do it I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Yeah all four of those characters have been Avengers (or New Avengers) at one point. Except JJ but she punched out Scarlet Witch one time.

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but its not much better. A few years ago comics started getting very talky and Alias was one of the books that led the trend. The only reason people say its good is because its different from the superhero books Marvel normally produces. However, compared to movies, tv shows or actual books, it offers nothing new and, in many respects, offers it in an inferior package.

As usual, completely wrong.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

He was a huge focus when Bendis was writing the Avengers for his 10 years, but he is currently in limbo waiting for Bendis's Heroes for Hire book.

He's on The Mighty Avengers right now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't watched yesterday's Arrow yet, but was it as good as Amell was saying?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

As usual, completely wrong.

I actually have to agree with him this time. Most of what is considered intelligent work in mainstream comics is still light years behind things with similar acclaim in film and TV. For examples, go look at the emotional/heartwarming panels thread in BSS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bown posted:

I actually have to agree with him this time. Most of what is considered intelligent work in mainstream comics is still light years behind things with similar acclaim in film and TV. For examples, go look at the emotional/heartwarming panels thread in BSS.

Can't that thread makes me cringe.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Deadpool posted:

You're looking for Thor and Iron Man and being disappointed when that's not what you're getting. You're also putting down the characters because you don't know them and since you don't know them they don't matter. And that's not really true at all. The general audience probably didn't know much about Iron Man or Thor before they had movies either. Of course they're not going to know about Luke Cage or Iron Fist. There will be some that know them from comics or cartoons, but most won't. Just because people don't know them doesn't mean they aren't viable characters worth promoting. With that logic no new properties would ever get a chance because nobody knew about them before. So yes, your perspective is wrong on this.

Not looking for the big, mostly boring guys, I'm aware of the basics of who and what these characters are, and I've never held any logic where only things already marketed can be marketed... and that's weird to think anyone would ever actually believe. No, I truly don't see the appeal of street-level stories existing alongside the whole of the cosmos, and it's sadly easier to advocate that point for the devil than it is to convince the uninitiated that they should commit to some 60 episodes with characters who are so strong and so well written and so deserving of all this while having no cultural identity in this age of culture finding "nerd" to be one of its highest titles. I think most who tune in just for the Marvel logo will wonder why the strong flying girl isn't with the Avengers, the guy walking into machine gun fire isn't with S.H.I.E.L.D., etc., then promptly tune-out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

I haven't watched yesterday's Arrow yet, but was it as good as Amell was saying?

It was pretty drat stunning and a fine acting showcase for two of their cast (not saying which)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

soapgish posted:

Not looking for the big, mostly boring guys, I'm aware of the basics of who and what these characters are, and I've never held any logic where only things already marketed can be marketed... and that's weird to think anyone would ever actually believe. No, I truly don't see the appeal of street-level stories existing alongside the whole of the cosmos, and it's sadly easier to advocate that point for the devil than it is to convince the uninitiated that they should commit to some 60 episodes with characters who are so strong and so well written and so deserving of all this while having no cultural identity in this age of culture finding "nerd" to be one of its highest titles. I think most who tune in just for the Marvel logo will wonder why the strong flying girl isn't with the Avengers, the guy walking into machine gun fire isn't with S.H.I.E.L.D., etc., then promptly tune-out.

You mean like Iron Man? Iron Man was never considered that big until the movie came out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

soapgish posted:

I appreciate your thoughts on the issue, but I'll just say I don't agree or even understand them at all. It seems to be a silly thing to complain about. It's like saying who gives a poo poo about Batman tracking down The Riddler when in the same universe Superman and Doomsday are leveling downtown Metropolis. There's room for all different levels of conflict in a fictional universe.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, all I knew about Iron Man before the film was he was some bearded guy with a flying suit of armour. I couldn't have cared less about him.

Of course, I doubt Netflix will be bringing in someone of Rob Downey's calibre, but still...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, all I knew about Iron Man before the film was he was some bearded guy with a flying suit of armour. I couldn't have cared less about him.

Of course, I doubt Netflix will be bringing in someone of Rob Downey's calibre, but still...

When RDJ got the role he was considered a liability.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How involved is Jeph Loeb gonna be in this :geno:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
For those of you with Xfinity Streampix, 30 Rock season 7 was just added today.

I forgot about Kenneth's mom and her friend "Ron" showing up. I don't think I'll be leaving the house today

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

How involved is Jeph Loeb gonna be in this :geno:

He will be executive producer since its on TV.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean like Iron Man? Iron Man was never considered that big until the movie came out.

The Iron Man argument is so tired. 1) He was never on people's tongues, though they were aware of him, 2) It was a two hour flick, in-and-out, 3) After the world got into a frenzy and everyone knows about comics and Marvel, it's not a strength that these characters are still completely under the radar.

Deadpool posted:

I appreciate your thoughts on the issue, but I'll just say I don't agree or even understand them at all. It seems to be a silly thing to complain about. It's like saying who gives a poo poo about Batman tracking down The Riddler when in the same universe Superman and Doomsday are leveling downtown Metropolis. There's room for all different levels of conflict in a fictional universe.

100%, I'm just baffled and doubtful. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY's Groot would feel more natural to me casually showing up on AGENTS OF SHIELD in a trench coat and fake mustache than these series do off in their own few blocks of NYC, flying and ninja kicking and leaping off buildings.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

soapgish posted:

The Iron Man argument is so tired. 1) He was never on people's tongues, though they were aware of him, 2) It was a two hour flick, in-and-out, 3) After the world got into a frenzy and everyone knows about comics and Marvel, it's not a strength that these characters are still completely under the radar.

If that is the case that Marvel should only use characters that everyone knows, Wolverine would be the only character that would have a TV show. Also Daredevil did have a movie and it made a lot of money. Them being under the rader is also a strength since they can go anything with them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a Netflix series so is name value that important? They're not trying to draw box office numbers or big Neilson ratings. This seems like the exact format ideal to play with lower level characters in a more grounded story that might feel like a letdown as a summer block buster or heavily hyped network series. Dedicated fans will tune in and if its good word of mouth will kick in.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

When RDJ got the role he was considered a liability.

My recollection is that getting a recovered addict to play an alcoholic was seen as inspired, and that RDJ's charm was a natural fit for the billionaire philanthropist. There was a question of whether he could carry an action franchise, but I don't recall there being much doubt that he'd be able to put in a great performance.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Its a Netflix series so is name value that important? They're not trying to draw box office numbers or big Neilson ratings. This seems like the exact format ideal to play with lower level characters in a more grounded story that might feel like a letdown as a summer block buster or heavily hyped network series. Dedicated fans will tune in and if its good word of mouth will kick in.

Yeah, the Marvel brand will get people curious who are currently ignorant of the specific characters and the aware folks watch the poo poo out of the comic-based animated stuff they have had up for years. Netflix has data to indicate this is a good business move.

soapgish posted:

The world didn't go into a frenzy for Marvel, it went into a frenzy for the Marvel characters featured in the films and any other frenzying has been related to marketing for those films (as well as grooming the next-gen audience and bright plastic purchasing via kids' cartoons, which are where the more tangential characters show up with relative frequency).

A lot of people enjoy the movies and television shows based off comic book characters without ever having set foot in a comic book shop. Hell, when I was a kid I thought Thor wasn't a real comic book but one that had been made up for Adventures in Babysitting (played by Vincent D'Onofrio, by the way. Eggar, what's wrong with your neck. You look swole).

Sir Kodiak posted:

My recollection is that getting a recovered addict to play an alcoholic was seen as inspired, and that RDJ's charm was a natural fit for the billionaire philanthropist. There was a question of whether he could carry an action franchise, but I don't recall there being much doubt that he'd be able to put in a great performance.

I recall that your recollection was the company line about why they had made a good choice, but that industry people were waiting with bated breath for a glorious meltdown/relapse during production then piled onto the company line when that didn't happen.

(edit to fix quote because i am a slowass)

BarbarousBertha fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 7, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Marvel movies have always toed the line between the superhero and some other genre. Thor was a superhero/mythology/romcom movie. Captain America was a superhero/war movie. The Hulk was a superhero/monster movie. The new Netflix series shouldn't be judged by how well they fit with the Avengers--because they won't--but by how good they are within their respective genres. Is Power Fist a good martial arts series? Is Daredevil a good mob series? Is Jessica Jones a good spy series? Is Luke Cage a good black series? And so on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

Power Fist

Oh you :allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Irish Joe posted:

Is Luke Cage a good black series? And so on.

Hahaha

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Have we reached over saturation of Superhero media yet? If not, it's approaching ever faster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harlock posted:

Have we reached over saturation of Superhero media yet? If not, it's approaching ever faster.

You can tell by how the genre is making more and more money each day, even though you don't like it, which doesn't seem fair.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Is Luke Cage a good black series?

What, pray tell, constitutes a "black series"?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Now I'm imagining one of those Tyler Perry sitcoms with Luke Cage in it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BrooklynBruiser posted:

What, pray tell, constitutes a "black series"?

A Sweet Christmas

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Irish Joe posted:

Is Luke Cage a good black series?

I liked A Different World better.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Netflix practically has a captive audience for the series with a built-in marketing campaign. They'll at least be worth a look for anyone who's just finished watching one of the movies and is wants a little more.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Slamhound posted:

Netflix practically has a captive audience for the series with a built-in marketing campaign. They'll at least be worth a look for anyone who's just finished watching one of the movies and is wants a little more.

Netflix knows more about the habits of their viewers than pretty much any network on TV. They assuredly have mounds of data telling them that purchasing all this is worth it to the their bottom line.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Now I'm imagining one of those Tyler Perry sitcoms with Luke Cage in it.
drat it, I was so excited for these shows and now you made me sad that Jeph Loeb will have more influence over Power Man than Tyler Perry :mad:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sir Kodiak posted:

He had successfully done a fair amount of work between sobriety and Iron Man. If I remember right, Gothika wouldn't pay until he completed the film, and I can't imagine working on that set sober--I can't watch that movie sober.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Neither has anything on Roots.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Those shades were the absolute coolest back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Deadpool posted:

Every time I see a post by you I want to respond as if I'm Burt Ward.

A sentiment I wish I could inspire in all my fellow posters, chum.

bobkatt013 posted:

Except for Iron Fist. He was reinvigorated by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction. Funny enough Ed Brubaker was on How did this get made this week and mentioned some Hollywood stuff that he could not mention. I wounder if this was it?

I hope so, and hope it was due to a substantial role in development. If there's any writer other than Bendis who you can count on to knock one out of the park with these characters, its Brubaker.

You can't not love how he followed Bendis' run on Daredevil with a story about Murdock, Kingpin, Bullseye and the motherfucking Punisher all locked in a prison together.

• Locked thread