Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, that Copperhead fight was really dull and uninteresting and that (Spoiler, I guess?) first fight with Bane would've been much better if enemies didn't get involved. So far the Deathstroke boss is the only one I've enjoyed so far and it feels so far like they've put more work into him than the other two. Which would make sense since he was like the first boss announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Just finished Blackgate. If you thought boss fights were bad in the mainstream Arkham games, ha ha holy poo poo you're in for a treat because the Blackgate bosses are loving terrible beyond belief. Pretty much every boss is a puzzle boss; once you know what gadget to use at what precise frame of the fight, you're 99% done. The only exceptions are the fight against Penguin, which is just a hard-mode predator room, and the fights against Catwoman, which are more reliant on the game's inconsistent dodge/counter mechanic. The worst is the fight against Joker; there is one point where he chases after you with a stun stick. If you try to redirect over him, you take damage, because what the gently caress are rules?

Otherwise the game is pretty sweet; it's a really good Metroid game that is apparently also non-linear (you can take on the three bosses in any order, it seems) and has lots of secrets to find. It's definitely worth a play, but it is really seriously dragged down by having to be an Arkham game on top of its own portable Metroid-like nature.

e: also the ending blows. Maybe there's a different ending for 100% or NG+ but I highly doubt it. Final boss sucks too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man I was disappointed with how they handled Enigma in New Game+. Even if you've already collected all data packs and destroyed all relay stations, if you go to his hideout after unlocking all the towers his server is still protected and you have to get knocked on your rear end and then have Batman say,"I guess I better go deal with his handlers and collect his data packs and destroy his relays!" at which point... the electricity shuts off and you're free to destroy the server. Once you head back outside, all the handlers are back on the map and you have to get beat them up and interrogate them all to clear them away.

I was hoping for a similar effect to Arkham City's New Game+ where you get to rush through all of Riddler's deathtrap scenarios and turn him from :smug: to :derp: in the space of 10-15 minutes. :smith:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, just... no, Barbara. Why are you like 15, why did you call it a Pwnbox, how the hell big an age gap is there between you and Bruce I thought it wasn't that far. I did the Penguin boxes and uggggh. Chirpy Hacker Gordon.

So okay, Slade is the game going "Learn to counter and pick your shots." Fair enough. Takes some tries, is more frustrating than actually difficult, but fine.

Justify the bridge, though. What twit decided "Let's put a long-rear end bridge with a buncha crap on it and split the map. And then make the player criss-cross it a billion times"? I need to know who to hit with the sock full of quarters.

Puttering around the town is okay, despite the dodgy grapple point targeting and the fact that you can't grapple any high spots for some reason. Took out all of Riddler's little doodads around the first fast travel point, then tried seeing which towers I could capture. First two were busts. Didn't have Electric Batman's accessories for one and if there's a way to get into that off-shore one without doing a perfect dive bomb run through it, I didn't find it.

It's nice that you can go destroy the 10 doodads per sector without having to get the tower back... but there's no dialog for it! I kinda forgot what I was doing and blundered around Industrial after destroying the second power box, figuring there had to be a third for some reason. Got all 10 of the things and Nigma didn't say bupkis to me. Figured I'd get to hear Wally Wingert chew the scenery again for getting his things offline before I'd opened them on the map.

I can only imagine what the thugs thought. "There goes that weirdo in the underwear flying by for the twelfth time. Is he lost? Should we shout directions at him next time? Why does he keep falling off of things?"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Can I just say how much I hate how unreliable countering in a crowd of goons is? Because UGH I hate it so much.

Story/gadget progression question: Do I want to go after Deadshot at the bank or Electrocutioner at the hotel first?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 7, 2013

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Electrocutioner is plot, Deadshot is sidequest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh god, just... no, Barbara. Why are you like 15, why did you call it a Pwnbox, how the hell big an age gap is there between you and Bruce I thought it wasn't that far. I did the Penguin boxes and uggggh. Chirpy Hacker Gordon.

Because she's always been a 'teenager' compared to Bruce? That is why she is Batgirl instead of Batwoman. She started out as Gordon's teenage niece and was basically a girl version of Robin. Comics eventually aged her as Batman aged, of course, but she's always been Roughly Dick Grayson's Age.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 7, 2013

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Barbara is Gordon's daughter, not his niece.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paul Allen posted:

Barbara is Gordon's daughter, not his niece.

She was his niece, then his niece/adopted daughter, and then later it was retconned he was her biological father in a surprise twist. Batman: Year One, which is a heavy inspiration for a lot of Batman stories, depicts Jim Gordon's first child (a son) being born in the same year as Batman's first apperance in Gotham. Since so many things either use or are inspired by Year One, it was easier to make her adopted or a niece than to justify how Gordon could have a daughter of crime-fighting age without having Batman in his mid 40s minimum.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 7, 2013

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Ah, gotcha. My bad.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I decided to try multiplayer and I cannot find a loving game on the 360. What the hell, it's only 1am central and two weeks from launch?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I decided to try multiplayer and I cannot find a loving game on the 360. What the hell, it's only 1am central and two weeks from launch?!

It was like this a few days after launch. Multiplayer was DoA.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I guess. The thread has been making GBS threads on MP constantly, but I figured I'd give it a try myself, first. I thought all the people saying how they couldn't find games were PS3.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Made myself beat this game last night. I'd previously quit after what turned out to be the final Bane encounter, and the final "boss fight" in general, though I didn't know this at the time and thought there was something more in store for me afterwards than a lengthy cutscene and a few fairly superfluous QTEs. Silly me!

Then, while roaming around post-ending, a mercenary I needed to interrogate as part of a Most Wanted side mission just flat out couldn't be interrogated, and when I went to clear another comms tower instead I was downed by a loving army of snipers they apparently saw fit to have spawn even when the story mode's long over, so, yeah. gently caress this poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can someone tell me wtf is the actual key combo for the aerial attack on shielded dudes. I had this problem in AC, and I have it here. The instructions are something like b->a, a. Does that mean b+a, a, or b, a, a, or something else entirely? I can get it to work, but no reliably, and usually only when the riot dudes are the last men standing.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Can someone tell me wtf is the actual key combo for the aerial attack on shielded dudes. I had this problem in AC, and I have it here. The instructions are something like b->a, a. Does that mean b+a, a, or b, a, a, or something else entirely? I can get it to work, but no reliably, and usually only when the riot dudes are the last men standing.

B to cape stun, then double-tap A.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

chaosapiant posted:

Stun them, then dodge over them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Russad posted:

B to cape stun, then double-tap A.

Ah, so it's a timing/animation thing. Not so much a "push these buttons in order" thing. That should make things easier, thanks!

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
This is a bit of a weird question but does anyone have a save file of from Arkham City GOTY with new game completed? I just bought it from the Humble Bundle (which is an awesome deal) and want to replay it but I want to jump directly into newgame+. I tried googling for a save and basically all I can find are 100% completion files. Ideally it would be some percent below 100 so that I could still have stuff to do but whatever works.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Started fresh in City last night, and holy poo poo it looks TONS better than Origins. How the gently caress did WB take an engine that was practically flawless and gently caress it up so bad? Origins is such a glitchy piece of poo poo and somehow looks worse than both City AND Asylum, and I don't think I'll be going back to it. Let Rocksteady develop the Batman games from now on please.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Maybe I'm just easy, but I'm having good fun with Origins. My only real gripes are really only aesthetic in nature. Mainly not being able to batclaw up anywhere you want. Rocksteady was way better at limiting latchable platforms believably. The claw's distance seems to be shorter as well.

I had to laugh though at the animation used for blocking Deathstroke's sword attack (it's exactly the same as blocking Ra's al Ghul's sword in AC).

EDIT: Also, I'm a sucker for visiting redone locations from old games, so seeing all of AC before it's fall is pretty neat to me.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

bradzilla posted:

Started fresh in City last night, and holy poo poo it looks TONS better than Origins. How the gently caress did WB take an engine that was practically flawless and gently caress it up so bad? Origins is such a glitchy piece of poo poo and somehow looks worse than both City AND Asylum, and I don't think I'll be going back to it. Let Rocksteady develop the Batman games from now on please.

You haven't played Asylum in a long time I take it?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

bradzilla posted:

What system are you on?

On PC I think Origins looks and runs the best by a fairly wide margin. And yeah, Asylum may surprise you.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I just replayed Asylum a month ago on PC. It looks fine.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

You haven't played Asylum in a long time I take it?

I can actually run Asylum at 1080 with all the bells and whistles where as I HAVE to run origins at 720 if I want to be able to see in game cut scenes that have more than 5 frames.

I'm currently trying to burn through Asylum and my only gripe is that Kevin Conroy's tone is so damned cheery after coming directly from A:O. Like way cheerier than I ever remember him being on the cartoon. It feels like he was using his old "Bruce" voice for a lot of it, which he basically abandoned for JL/Beyond. Weird how I didn't seem to notice before.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ToastyPotato posted:

I can actually run Asylum at 1080 with all the bells and whistles where as I HAVE to run origins at 720 if I want to be able to see in game cut scenes that have more than 5 frames.

I'm currently trying to burn through Asylum and my only gripe is that Kevin Conroy's tone is so damned cheery after coming directly from A:O. Like way cheerier than I ever remember him being on the cartoon. It feels like he was using his old "Bruce" voice for a lot of it, which he basically abandoned for JL/Beyond. Weird how I didn't seem to notice before.

Origins actually seems better optimized for my setup, because I get a consistently better framerate running Origins vs. City. With everything cranked, Origins looks the best on PC hands down.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Just to be clear, everyone does know you can use the B+Y takedown on Bane right? The other goons can help you get the takedown available quicker so it's not actually that bad.

I thought the Pinkney conclusion was a bit flat, really. Is there anything like the hidden room in Asylum or boat in City in this?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

DrNutt posted:

Origins actually seems better optimized for my setup, because I get a consistently better framerate running Origins vs. City. With everything cranked, Origins looks the best on PC hands down.

During gameplay, I can have almost everything turned up on Origins and it looks great, but then cut scenes happen and it all goes to poo poo. So I figured I kind of want to be able to see those things and decided to just turn things down. :(

All of these games do cloud saves right? I might end up with a new PC before the year ends but I kind of really don't want to start a new save. I already lost my Asylum save when they dropped GFWL.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ToastyPotato posted:

During gameplay, I can have almost everything turned up on Origins and it looks great, but then cut scenes happen and it all goes to poo poo. So I figured I kind of want to be able to see those things and decided to just turn things down. :(

All of these games do cloud saves right? I might end up with a new PC before the year ends but I kind of really don't want to start a new save. I already lost my Asylum save when they dropped GFWL.

All the Arkham games are now Steamworks and support cloud saving.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

You could convert those saves to the Steamworks version, by the way. I did it for City, and I'm pretty sure the tool I used supports Asylum as well.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You could convert those saves to the Steamworks version, by the way. I did it for City, and I'm pretty sure the tool I used supports Asylum as well.

I just could not get it to work and I gave up.

Still, guess it could be fun to replay anyway.

For the sixth time or so.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

bradzilla posted:

I don't think we played the same games because AO looks loving gorgeous compared to City and Asylum.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If achievements matter to you, AC will give you the correct achievements when you convert, AA will not.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Commissar Ken posted:

Wasn't there a Killer Moth entry too? Next game needs to have them both. Hell i'd love if they'd take a semi note from Brave and the Bold and just kinda throw a whole bunch of schmuck villains at Batman. Just do a Mad Hatter or Scarecrow situation where he's fighting in a dreamland and it's really just a bunch of thugs but to him it's like Kite man and Ratcatcher and Condiment King.

The final brawl in Asylum with the two big dudes and horde of normal guys before you confront Joker at the end should have been this, just a ton of all the third raters together.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah. I was really bummed that Black Mask was relegated to a side mission after the shell game was revealed. I really liked his voice actor and would like to have seen Batman taking on a mafia-style crime syndicate with higher stakes than the Maronis or Falcones. You really could have left Joker out of the picture from there - he's in Blackgate and even the rioting inmates are too scared to let him out. His story really peaks in the first sequence where he shoots his goons and tells Batman what bad men they were, then turning the gun on himself to call Batman's bluff, followed by that Joker-Harley sequence. Honestly, I didn't really care for their take on Bane. He starts off close to the comic book roots where he's intelligent and even discerns Batman's identity, but by the end he's even worse than the Arkham Asylum/Arkham City portrayals. Then again, I only really liked Nolanverse Bane anyway. I would have preferred for Black Mask to take the reigns as the antagonist at that point.

I wonder if they went this route with ____Black Mask____ so that the character could be much more prominent in a another Origins game set before Asylum and City. Maybe they want to have Rocksteady and this other team but keep working to churn them out annually.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 7, 2013

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
It looks like there was another patch.

WB Support posted:

Patch 8 for PC now live. This Patch fixes the following:

Fixed buildings not properly loading when fast traveling
Disabled invalid collision object in Mad Hatter level, which was preventing some people from crossing the river
Fix for save corruption after Deadshot boss fight

I hope nobody minds that I'm c/ping the patch notes. Whenever patches go live for games I always wind up looking for the patch notes and it can be kind of a pain in the rear end, so when other people do this in threads for other games I wind up appreciating it.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

pogothemonkey0 posted:

This is a bit of a weird question but does anyone have a save file of from Arkham City GOTY with new game completed? I just bought it from the Humble Bundle (which is an awesome deal) and want to replay it but I want to jump directly into newgame+. I tried googling for a save and basically all I can find are 100% completion files. Ideally it would be some percent below 100 so that I could still have stuff to do but whatever works.
I checked, but the closest thing I have is a save with the original story 100%-ed essentially (including all Riddler secrets) and NG+ untouched. :sigh:

PoshAlligator posted:

I just could not get it to work and I gave up.
Yeah, I had to engage in quite a bit of fiddling to get my AC saves to work—the conversion tool someone posted on the Steam discussion hub didn't work, nor did the instructions for manually hex-editing the files. (Or rather, I had to use the instructions for AA, for some reason.)

Orgophlax posted:

If achievements matter to you, AC will give you the correct achievements when you convert, AA will not.
Some of them, but by no means all; it doesn't look like it retroactively unlocked any of the story–related ones I should've gotten, for instance.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You can just give yourself all the steam achievements you want with steam achievement manager, if you feel so inclined.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

THE CHORSE posted:

I hope nobody minds that I'm c/ping the patch notes. Whenever patches go live for games I always wind up looking for the patch notes and it can be kind of a pain in the rear end, so when other people do this in threads for other games I wind up appreciating it.

My last save was a bit after the deadshot fight and it got corrupted, wonder if those will fix it. Not going to download the game all over again until my save stops corrupting :p

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

THE CHORSE posted:

No, please, keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arkham City looks fantastic and it plays like a dream now, but I do recall when it first came out that there were huge problems playing with DX11 (or was it DX10 back then?) for a lot of people, including myself, and it needed to be played in DX9 mode with a lot of the cooler PhysX stuff turned off to get a playable framerate.

It certainly wasn't as buggy as Origins, though - I've been one of the lucky ones in terms of encountering no game-breaking bugs (or being able to work around stuff like Burnley Tower or the final boss cutscene skipping) but I have encountered quite a few instances of a person not being where they were supposed to be on the map, interrogations not always being available when they should, etc.

I finished New Game+ yesterday and now I really only have I Am The Night and the challenge maps left to finish - I'm having a real problem getting the Alfred's Wisdom achievement though, I went back to the Batcave at every opportunity during the story to talk to him and have jumped in and out post-game to chat with him, and if I hear,"That Vicki Vale is quite the troublemaker...." again I think I'll scream.

At least the Shiva achievement wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, those invincibility frames you get by dodging over the head of enemies came in hugely handy (same deal with the Bane fight).

• Locked thread