Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I did buy the 11s last night. I don't think I will need more ram for my use. The ssd is a bit small or Windows is just huge but I can live with it. I can access all my music and video at home from the desktop and use mobile options on the road. Still though a bump to 256 would be nice but not for the price.

Really like the laptop so far though.

Both of those should be upgradeable on the 11s anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Aphrodite posted:

Both of those should be upgradeable on the 11s anyway.

Good deal, I haven't looked into it at all.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Does anyone know for sure how the RAM in the 8gb Y510p models is configured? Is it 2x4gb or 1x8gb? I have to assume the former, which sucks. I hate their available configurations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DNova posted:

Does anyone know for sure how the RAM in the 8gb Y510p models is configured? Is it 2x4gb or 1x8gb? I have to assume the former, which sucks. I hate their available configurations.

In my Y410p it's 1x8gb. It's probably the same in the Y510p

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone get a Surface 2? Work gave me one for "business" but all I'm gonna do is throw Steam on it. Any good Windows 8.1 touch enabled games? I heard Civ5 works pretty well with a touchscreen.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Anyone get a Surface 2? Work gave me one for "business" but all I'm gonna do is throw Steam on it. Any good Windows 8.1 touch enabled games? I heard Civ5 works pretty well with a touchscreen.

I assume you mean the Pro 2? :) I have one ordered, but no clue when I'll see it - so far they say "November 25th", but also "this product is no longer sold"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ha yes, Pro 2. Yeah we're waiting on a few more. We actually got a dock in. My boss is using the Pro 2 + dock now instead of his Elitebook. He says he has noticed zero difference, even with dual monitors.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

me your dad posted:

Cool, thanks. I've been to Best Buy twice now, and each time I have tried the various models on display and each time, the Yoga Pro 2 felt best to me.

I have minor concerns over the RAM, but they're probably silly. This laptop would be used for plugged-in living room web surfing, Skype, the occasional indie game, and not much else. Unless web browsers will require significant RAM in the next few years I should be okay, right?

I'd love to get the model with more RAM but I can't justify the cost based on my intended use. And I don't have a student email address, which seems to be required for the B&N link.

Just as an anecdote: I had mozilla running with plenty of tabs, word, two power point instances, media player classic and two memory hungry data analysis applications (albeit with small data sets and idle) and was using 3.9 gb. I think you'll be fine.

My desktop has 16 gb--keep in mind I bought all that when it cost $60 for the lot--which is only useful for vms and some scenarios with "professional" type software. Most of the times that I bother to look I am using between 3 and 4. I hope you enjoy your new machine.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Ha yes, Pro 2. Yeah we're waiting on a few more. We actually got a dock in. My boss is using the Pro 2 + dock now instead of his Elitebook. He says he has noticed zero difference, even with dual monitors.

I bought an extremely cheap Pro 1 for my girlfriend - which I'm using until my Pro 2 arrives, since my old HP Touchsmart tm2 is almost dead), and it's great :)

The negative sides are the fairly low battery life and the "lesser GPU".

The positive sides are:
- almost half the price of a Pro 2

This probably goes for Pro 2 too:
- boots up in no time
- ridiculously fast
- great in "tablet mode"

Chrome in high DPI sucks though (even with the chrome://flags fix) :( so I'm using IE.

EDIT: Reformatted and reorganized my thoughts.

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 7, 2013

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

dorkanoid posted:

Chrome in high DPI sucks though (even with the chrome://flags fix) :( so I'm using IE.

EDIT: Reformatted and reorganized my thoughts.

Tell me more about these supposed chrome://flags fixes. I've been doggedly using Chrome on my Yoga 2 Pro because I'll be damned if I use IE. Touching the screen seems to be completely pointless, so I'm stuck with the trackpad which seems like prehistoric grunting now.

I'd really like it if Chrome would register all my touches in the right place, but none of the ludicrously numerous options on the flags page seem to involve fixing a touchscreen.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

GreenNight posted:

I've got a Pro 2 with Type Cover 2 that I plug into a dock at work. I stay in the desktop all day, using the kb/mouse/big monitor as a workstation, and then detach it and bring it home and use it in metro mode at night for music, movies, general internetting, etc. If I need to do work stuff from home, I just switch back into the desktop. Desktop performance is great, even with a ton of Chrome tabs open, every Adobe program, video editing, etc. (I do have the 8gb version.)

My biggest gripe is probably the trackpad on the Type Cover 2. The buttons are terrible, impossible to find without looking and not very responsive. Plus, it's just not very big. The keyboard is great (typing this post on it), but the trackpad is a major whiff by MS.

Overall, I like it a lot. I'm really looking forward to the Surface Pro 3, which will hopefully be thinner, lighter, higher DPI screen, etc.

I also had a regular Pro for a while and the new kickstand angle makes a huge difference when being used in "laptop mode."

Needs status: Met.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 8, 2013

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
So I just got a new ideapad 410y - what software should I uninstall from it?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
You mean the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410y?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

shrughes posted:

You mean the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410y?

Sorry, Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p Laptop

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

Sorry, Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p Laptop

Uninstall all of it; buy an SSD and start fresh

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Peanut3141 posted:

Tell me more about these supposed chrome://flags fixes. I've been doggedly using Chrome on my Yoga 2 Pro because I'll be damned if I use IE. Touching the screen seems to be completely pointless, so I'm stuck with the trackpad which seems like prehistoric grunting now.

I'd really like it if Chrome would register all my touches in the right place, but none of the ludicrously numerous options on the flags page seem to involve fixing a touchscreen.

Somewhere in the mass of settings, just ctrl-F "DPI":

(change it to "Enabled")

It makes touches register at the right spot, but some icons/clickable things are still really really small (like the "X" to close a tab).

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Peanut3141 posted:

Try Chrome Canary it works much better and registers touches perfectly but unfortunately HiDPI scaling still isn't that great.

Amstrat
Feb 16, 2011
So I bought a Dell XPS 12 during the summer and I think it's great. I had a few teething problems with it, but they went away with a firmware upgrade.

I've got a question though. Anybody know how to attach a Kensington lock, or similar, to it? There's a slot of the left that looks like it should work, but I can't get a lock I own to fit in there. I think there's a little plastic tab inside that gets in the way.

What am I doing wrong?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious.

Did you grab the firmware update yourself, or did some of the Dell bloatware tell you about it?

Amstrat
Feb 16, 2011
I grabbed the firmware myself by logging into the Dell support site and putting in the service tag from the bottom of the laptop (it's under the metal plate that pops off). That should give you the specific drivers for your build.

You probably knew all that, but what the hell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, I was just wondering if one of those Dell apps was maybe useful. Should have known better.

Thanks.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
Is it just me, or is there an additional configuration of the y510p on the Lenovo website. I would have sworn that, two days ago, there was an SLI config for ~$1000. Now, it appears to be closer to $1200. Additionally, the pricing through the B&N Gold link is the same as through the regular Lenovo website.

I feel I'm missing something here?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nitis posted:

Is it just me, or is there an additional configuration of the y510p on the Lenovo website. I would have sworn that, two days ago, there was an SLI config for ~$1000. Now, it appears to be closer to $1200. Additionally, the pricing through the B&N Gold link is the same as through the regular Lenovo website.

I feel I'm missing something here?

They run different deals at different times. B&N is a discount channel they tweak availability on as they need to.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
FYI, Yoga 2 Pro i7/8/256 is now actually available to buy from Best Buy for $1200, and there's a coupon for $50 off an i7 laptop with a student email address. This makes it less than $100 more than an i5/8/256 from Lenovo via B&N, and you can actually get it within a few days rather than months!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm having a bitch of a time picking out a laptop. I went to Best Buy last night, and bought this Asus Q501LA-BBI5T03. It turns out 15.6" is way too big for how I like to use a laptop. So I'm bringing it back to the store to exchange it for something else.

I'm considering this Toshiba E45T-A4300.

What's important to me:

Purchasing at Best Buy (I have a credit card for the 18 month no interest financing)
14" or 13" size
Nice keyboard (prefer backlit)
Nice trackpad (I love the feel of the Yoga 2 Pro trackpad, hate the trackpad on the Lenovo U430, like the trackpad on the Asus I bought last night)
Touch screen
Longevity in tech

What's not so important:

Weight
Battery life

What I'd use this for:

Web surfing
Video watching

I'd love a convertible (I was looking at the Yoga 2 Pro) but I'd like to stay at or around the $700 mark - something that will likely disqualify that option.

Can anyone weigh in on the Toshiba, or perhaps another option from Best Buy in the 14" or 13" range?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 8, 2013

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011
My sister asked me to find a good budget laptop. I have been looking for a while and have decided I need to ask for help.
I told her before looking it would be at least 500€ and she was ok with that.. now I see it's pretty clear 500 does not cut it, so I'm looking at 500-700. She will either pay that or I will pay the difference drat it.
She wants "a big one" meaning 14-15", doesn't need long battery life as she'll still use her old 12" on the go. Heaviest thing she does is video editing, her current laptop can't even play her GoPro Black footage. Also asked for a big hard drive, which is kind of fortunate as it takes SSD right out. I'm hoping 500Gb is big enough.

She doesn't want to buy out of country so that makes this whole thing really annoying, for me and probably for you. I tried looking for some suggested in this thread without much success as stuff tends to be more expensive here or not available in the stores I want to use. I'm just gonna post some, tell me what you think.
700€ HP Envy Touchsmart 4-1230eb, Core i5 3337U with HD4000, cache SSD. Only 14" I found cheap enough.
680€ Toshiba Satellite C55-A-16Z, Core i5 3230M with Geforce 740M. Including it for the 750Gb hard drive and being the fastest.
600€ Asus S56CA-something, Core i5 3337U with HD4000, cache SSD. I think Asus is a good brand?
588€ Acer Aspire V3-571G-something, Core i3 2348M with Geforce 720M. Only one I found with IPS advertised, only one with 1080p.
588€ Acer Aspire E1-572-something, Core i5-4200U with HD4400, Haswell.. like I said battery life is not as important but I'm including it anyway as I am impressed to find one at this price

I'm big on display quality so I'm thinking that Aspire V3 but I have no idea how bad that CPU is, I also have no idea what using a PC with a 5400rpm drive is like so those with cache SSD score extra points. Based on brand I would get the Asus, based on size the HP. Looking at her demands the Toshiba looks best but she may prefer to keep that extra 90€.
Tell me if any of this is dumb, thanks.

shimmy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 8, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Lenovo ship laptops with recovery OEM media or do they only do that dumb recovery partition poo poo?

I'm pretty obsessive about having a clean install of Windows on a new laptop without any crapware and I always appreciated how Dell gave me a nice OEM Windows DVD.

edit: I guess the point is moot since I don't actually won't have an optical drive on my 440s :[

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Martytoof posted:

Does Lenovo ship laptops with recovery OEM media or do they only do that dumb recovery partition poo poo?

I'm pretty obsessive about having a clean install of Windows on a new laptop without any crapware and I always appreciated how Dell gave me a nice OEM Windows DVD.

edit: I guess the point is moot since I don't actually won't have an optical drive on my 440s :[

The Yoga 2 Pro came with a number of partitions. There are 3 hidden partitions totaling 2.25 GB for boot/EFI and there is a hidden 12GB recovery partition. There is also an unhidden ~5GB partition that contains drivers and applications that I immediately blew away. Luckily it's immediately after the main system partition so you can just delete and fill in windows without any funny business or having to reinstall anything. After deleting the driver partition, the main partition is 224GB out of a total of 238GB.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

What are some similar laptops to the Yoga 2?

I'm looking for a high resolution 13.3" laptop for the lady, and it can't be ugly (looking at you, thinkpads). The Yoga 2 is probably over-spec'ed for her, but cheaper laptops don't seem to have high res screens from what I can find.

biscuitbandit
Oct 19, 2004
Does this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Lenov...=item35cdfafd47 seem legit to you guys? Seems awfully cheap...

Also, any UK :britain: goons know of anywhere better to get hold of Lenovo laptops and not pay crazy prices (besides possibly dodgy eBay markets)?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Important safety tip for Lenovo owners running Win8: Create a recovery disc before you try cloning your stock drive onto a new SSD, so if you accidentally make the drive unbootable you don't have to buy a brand new Windows retail CD key so you can download a loving installer for an OS you already have a license for.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

CanuckBassist posted:

What are some similar laptops to the Yoga 2?

I'm looking for a high resolution 13.3" laptop for the lady, and it can't be ugly (looking at you, thinkpads). The Yoga 2 is probably over-spec'ed for her, but cheaper laptops don't seem to have high res screens from what I can find.

You can get a UX31A Zenbook with a 1080p screen for like $750 on Amazon.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

Important safety tip for Lenovo owners running Win8: Create a recovery disc before you try cloning your stock drive onto a new SSD, so if you accidentally make the drive unbootable you don't have to buy a brand new Windows retail CD key so you can download a loving installer for an OS you already have a license for.

As in a recovery disc OR a flash media recovery solution? Both should work, correct?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Or just download an OEM Windows install disc. Seeing as how you own the software, it should be legal to use bit torrent for this purpose. I don't think that a recovery disc would actually get you where you want to go (a clean Windows installation on a new SSD)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Or just download an OEM Windows install disc. Seeing as how you own the software, it should be legal to use bit torrent for this purpose. I don't think that a recovery disc would actually get you where you want to go (a clean Windows installation on a new SSD)

Does this actually work? I thought they changed something between Win7 and Win8 so you couldn't just download an ISO from Digital River and have it work.

Let me rephrase that: Has anyone here actually successfully installed Win8 from an ISO on their OEM equipment?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I need a laptop for my mother. It can't be too expensive, but I'd like it to have a nice, big screen. Not a super high resolution though, I don't want everything to look tiny.

It doesn't have to be gaming-rig specs obviously, just nice and solid and not slow, with a comfortable amount of rams.

I also want it to have an SSD because gently caress the old harddisks, they're way too slow. So it should either come with one, or it should be easy to install.

Any suggestions?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Does this actually work? I thought they changed something between Win7 and Win8 so you couldn't just download an ISO from Digital River and have it work.

Let me rephrase that: Has anyone here actually successfully installed Win8 from an ISO on their OEM equipment?

Not from an ISO but from the WIn8.1 downloader, yes. The product keys for Win8 laptops are encoded in BIOS and it's used automatically during installation of Win8.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Not from an ISO but from the WIn8.1 downloader, yes. The product keys for Win8 laptops are encoded in BIOS and it's used automatically during installation of Win8.

That's awesome then. I actually read the exact opposite somewhere and I'm glad to know I can just download the 8.1 installer to do a clean wipe of my T440s when it gets in :)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

QuarkJets posted:

The fun part is finding one that is English, not a slipstreamed Ae3S0EMSZZ version and available on a protocol that my ISP doesn't throttle (e.g., not bittorrent). I know, bitch bitch bitch, right?

I ended up saying 'gently caress it' and buying a retail license right from MS's online store because I'd already spent seven hours on this garbage and that's more than enough to threaten the safety of furniture and woodland creatures. Install 8.1, activate, change the CD key to the OEM one on my machine, done. So now I have a retail key collecting dust and I do not care. At some point I'll probably install it on the desktop but right now I could not be happier to see the back end of the Win8 installer and its stupid website. gently caress you, Ballmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

The fun part is finding one that is English, not a slipstreamed Ae3S0EMSZZ version and available on a protocol that my ISP doesn't throttle (e.g., not bittorrent). I know, bitch bitch bitch, right?

I ended up saying 'gently caress it' and buying a retail license right from MS's online store because I'd already spent seven hours on this garbage and that's more than enough to threaten the safety of furniture and woodland creatures. Install 8.1, activate, change the CD key to the OEM one on my machine, done. So now I have a retail key collecting dust and I do not care. At some point I'll probably install it on the desktop but right now I could not be happier to see the back end of the Win8 installer and its stupid website. gently caress you, Ballmer.

There are dummy product keys for both WIn8.1 Pro and Core that allow you to at least install the OS, then your actual product key is used during activation.