Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

You can't not love how he followed Bendis' run on Daredevil with a story about Murdock, Kingpin, Bullseye and the motherfucking Punisher all locked in a prison together.

I haven't read comics in years and I've never read any of those characters thoroughly but I want to read that NOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't read comics in years and I've never read any of those characters thoroughly but I want to read that NOW!

http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Devil-Inside-Out-TPB/dp/0785119884 there you go.

Brubaker also modernized Captain America and did the Winter Soldier arc iirc.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 7, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

The Bendis/Brubaker runs on Daredevil are great reads. Unless you prefer having your superheroes being happy and living well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Deadpool posted:

The Bendis/Brubaker runs on Daredevil are great reads. Unless you prefer having your superheroes being happy and living well.

Then you can read the Waid Daredevil!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wish comics weren't so goddamned expensive!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't Waid do the FF run where the kids get kidnapped and Reed goes loving insane with grief?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Exactly what I would recommend. It's easily my favorite ongoing book right now, and I'm really hoping the miniseries is a lot closer in tone to that than the Brubaker/Rucka runs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Didn't Waid do the FF run where the kids get kidnapped and Reed goes loving insane with grief?

No he went insane with grief since Doom killed Ben, but he decided to go get him back. He ended up meeting God who looks like Jack Kirby.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

No he went insane with grief since Doom killed Ben, but he decided to go get him back. He ended up meeting God who looks like Jack Kirby.

That's right. He also made Doom into a wizard right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

That's right. He also made Doom into a wizard right?

Doom always used magic on occasion. However, in this storyline he tried to use magic to beat Richards :doom: and got the power by killing the only person he loved, and turned her skin into a suit

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

bobkatt013 posted:

Doom always used magic on occasion. However, in this storyline he tried to use magic to beat Richards :doom: and got the power by killing the only person he loved, and turned her skin into a suit

.... I'm fascinated by the wrong form of media, Jesus. Comics go whole hog.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Doesn't Doom wear his mask because the devil burned his face when he tried to use magic to pull his witch mom out of hell? Or something like that?

Comics, man. They go for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

There was a black Superman decades before a black President.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Doesn't Doom wear his mask because the devil burned his face when he tried to use magic to pull his witch mom out of hell? Or something like that?

Nah it's because he did some ill advised experiment in college, and Reed Richards told him not to do it, and it backfired and disfigured him. (I guess that could've been getting his mom out of hell, I think it changes) The severity of the disfigurement ranges depending on who's writing the book, from full blown Mel-Gibson-Man-Without-A-Face scarring to a tiny, tiny scar that he can't bear to see because he's so vain.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I prefer the tiny scars version. And then he makes the mask and puts it on before it's cooled and thus completely scars his entire face. That just fits Doom perfectly.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

zoux posted:

Yeah, Doom uses Valeria to do some devil magic and sends Franklin to Hell for some reason, then Franklin has PTSD for a while afterwards.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Last time I read Fantastic Four Franklin got kidnapped by his time traveling grandfather and returned in his 20s to form a FF spinoff team until one day grandpa randomly decided to switch out 20 something Frank with kid Frank again ending the bad comic book I had wasted money on.

Also a few years back when I found out they had another kid I looked it up on Wikipedia and as best as I can remember Valeria is the alternate reality daughter of Sue and Doom who is actually Sue's miscarried baby from this reality who Frank saved and transported into the womb of alternate reality Sue and then transported back into the womb of his Sue. I probably screwed this one up too because my head starts hurting when I read too much of a comic book Wikipedia entry.

I'll say it again. Comics, man.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

zoux posted:

Lots of libraries now carry trades. That's how I read most of my stuff!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not going to the library like a peasant!

The kindle comicbook app is pretty decent, that's how I read Locke and Key actually.

Wasn't somebody developing a L&K TV show? Did anything ever come of that?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Harlock posted:

Have we reached over saturation of Superhero media yet? If not, it's approaching ever faster.

Yes, its Getting to be worse than zombies.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

bobkatt013 posted:

All I know is the best episode to watch late at night is Home.

I actually did this about three nights ago. DON'T DO THIS PEOPLE. loving nightmares. all of the nightmares.
:gonk:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

I'm not going to the library like a peasant!

The kindle comicbook app is pretty decent, that's how I read Locke and Key actually.

Wasn't somebody developing a L&K TV show? Did anything ever come of that?

I think the pilot was said to be good but no one wanted it. Which I keep hoping Sy Fy or Cinemax or some fringe network changes their mind on because I think that would make a great tv show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Right now Locke & Key is in development to become a movie series.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

muscles like this? posted:

Right now Locke & Key is in development to become a movie series.

I confused this with Key & Peele and was quite befuddled.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That would be a great crossover.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Locke & Key & Peele.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DurosKlav posted:

Yes, its Getting to be worse than zombies.

Have I got a series for you!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/izombie-dc-comics-cw-rob-thomas-diane-ruggiero/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doug Benson has a webseries on Youtube called Getting Doug with High where he smokes weed with comedians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLOF2es9tu8

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

If ever there was a series I was waiting for, it's the lovechild of TRU CALLING and shame eating.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I confused this with Key & Peele and was quite befuddled.
I have no idea what Locke & Key is and I did the same thing when I first read it. A Key & Peele movie series would probably be worth watching, at least at first.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

soapgish posted:

Those shades were the absolute coolest back in the day.

No. Those shades were never cool. It is probably the one thing people remember the most about A Different World, though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

zoux posted:

Doug Benson has a webseries on Youtube called Getting Doug with High where he smokes weed with comedians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLOF2es9tu8

As a premise, that sounds utterly insufferable.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We get it, Doug Benson. You like weed.

We get it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

raditts posted:

No. Those shades were never cool. It is probably the one thing people remember the most about A Different World, though.

It was a great ensemble comedy, and those specs were the pop-out Nokia Mr. Anderson got delivered before Matrixing. The glasses were always limited, but they were a thing. A very beautiful thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gonz posted:

We get it.

Doug Benson : weed :: Chris Hardwick : nerd poo poo.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Gonz posted:

We get it.

To play Devil's Advocate, if people are going to keep paying him money to smoke weed who are we to stop that?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

hcreight posted:

To play Devil's Advocate, if people are going to keep paying him money to smoke weed who are we to stop that?

A valid point.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Gonz posted:

A valid point.

More valid point, if Benson speaks truth there is no way he can be high so all time. Not even on the best of days is a THC soaked person getting typical like Doug Benson, oblivious and acting an adolescent.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

raditts posted:

Doug Benson : weed :: Chris Hardwick : nerd poo poo.
Aren't they like best buds too :lol:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

As a premise, that sounds utterly insufferable.

Did you even watch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aren't they like best buds too :lol:

Have you ever talked about The Walking Dead...ON WEEEEEED?!

• Locked thread