Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Meanwhile

quote:

Mirror Group faces 55 new hacking claims

Mirror Group newspapers is expected to face 55 fresh claims of alleged phone hacking after a judge rejected an attempt by the publisher to throw out preliminary cases brought by claimants including the former England football manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Legal sources told The Independent that a number of “high-value” damages claims will be filed against the publisher of the Mirror titles and the Sunday People following the High Court ruling that the newspaper group has a case to answer for the alleged use of illegal voicemail interception by its journalists.

The judgment raises the prospect of Trinity Mirror facing a legal battle over phone-hacking damages claims similar to that of Rupert Murdoch’s News International – now News UK.
At least some of the alleged hackings to place under Piers Morgan as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
What (if anything) is happening with the Daniel Morgan murder at the moment?

A couple of years ago in this thread or a predecessor there was some very technical talk about some sort of hacking of ITV digiboxes (or something like that, the details were lost on me). Did this ever develop into anything?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Brown Moses posted:

Meanwhile

At least some of the alleged hackings to place under Piers Morgan as well.

Is he an American citizen yet? It'd be just awful if he had to forgo ever coming back to this country to avoid face hacking charges yet had to face possibly credible death threats in his adopted land as a result of being a colossal loving bellend.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gambrinus posted:

What (if anything) is happening with the Daniel Morgan murder at the moment?
The Daniel Morgan panel should start very soon, the panel is all selected, and from speaking with Alastair Morgan he feels it's the best chance to get everything out into the open, and that the people selected are good. Considering the poo poo he's been through he's a really nice guy, I've had some very lengthy conversations with him on that and other related topics.

quote:

A couple of years ago in this thread or a predecessor there was some very technical talk about some sort of hacking of ITV digiboxes (or something like that, the details were lost on me). Did this ever develop into anything?
That might possibly come up again at some point in the future, but I can't go into details. Could be many more months though.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

That might possibly come up again at some point in the future, but I can't go into details. Could be many more months though.
Hope this isn't being held back by the lawyers again. Awaiting this dropping as well.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Everything is always being held back by lawyers. It's how they live.

I do look forward to 5 or so years from now when all the tangents from these threads can be tied together in some spectacular interactive 3d hologram thingy.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes posted:

BREAKING: NI Lawyer had copy of birth certificate of Kimberley Quinn's child in his safe

Goddamn.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Plavski posted:

Goddamn.
Welp.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Plavski posted:

Goddamn.

At this point I should stop being shocked by new revelations but I still am.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Why would they want a copy of her birth certificate? Fraud?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

willie_dee posted:

Why would they want a copy of her birth certificate? Fraud?

Potentionally to blackmail Blunkett

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I missed the child bit of the tweet...

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Byolante posted:

Potentionally to blackmail Blunkett

Blunkett recorded Coulson making the blackmail attempt.

quote:

A tape of a meeting between Coulson trying to get Blunkett to confirm the relationship was then played to the jury.

Coulson tells Blunkett he believes the story to be true and that if he doen't run it someone else will.

"People know about this affair. I'm not saying it's an open secret, but people are aware of it," Coulson was heard telling Blunkett.

The tape recording was made by Blunkett when Coulson visited him in Sheffield. The former home secretary parries with Coulson and tells him he won't confirm or deny any story of an affair because it would breach his principle of keeping his private life private.

"You are asking me to say, 'Yes, I'm having a relationship with a married woman'?" asks Blunkett. "Yes," says Coulson.

Coulson tells Blunkett that he is prepared to run a story but leave Quinn's name out of it.

Blunkett says his private life is "not fair game". He tells Coulson: "I'm not a media star. I'm a politician trying to do a difficult job."

They also found tapes of voicemails between Blunkett and Quinn in the safe of Tom Crone

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That's not blackmail, that's putting a story to the subject of it before publication. Obviously done in an aggressive way, but unless the newspaper is worried about an emergency call to the duty judge and a super-injunction being slapped on them as they are going to press that should really be best practice.

In an ideal world everyone would get a phone call before someone ran a story about them.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Alchenar posted:

That's not blackmail, that's putting a story to the subject of it before publication.

Fair enough.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Y'know, its pretty disconcerting to see the level of effort modern journalists will put into muckraking, while at the same time here in Australia we have journalists crying about the new government they gave a free pass to during election not giving them information. It's like they've completely forgotten how to do anything more than rewrite a press release on matters of national importance, yet it seems there's always time for muckraking. Pretty dismal affair for the 4th.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Alchenar posted:

That's not blackmail, that's putting a story to the subject of it before publication. Obviously done in an aggressive way, but unless the newspaper is worried about an emergency call to the duty judge and a super-injunction being slapped on them as they are going to press that should really be best practice.

In an ideal world everyone would get a phone call before someone ran a story about them.

A phone call, yes. Not having the editor of th no.1 selling newspaper in the land turn up on your doorstep to 'have a quiet word'. As much as I detest the majority of our leaders they do have a private life and something like this is only really relevant if he was doing some sort of family values campaign or having a go at deadbeat dads.

Ok I can sorta see the argument that he being a senior government minister something like this informs his decision making process but it's still intimidation on the part of NI.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Maluco Marinero posted:

Y'know, its pretty disconcerting to see the level of effort modern journalists will put into muckraking, while at the same time here in Australia we have journalists crying about the new government they gave a free pass to during election not giving them information. It's like they've completely forgotten how to do anything more than rewrite a press release on matters of national importance, yet it seems there's always time for muckraking. Pretty dismal affair for the 4th.

And the current PM is attempting to repeal a racial vilification law that got a lovely right-wing columnist in trouble.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

notaspy posted:

A phone call, yes. Not having the editor of th no.1 selling newspaper in the land turn up on your doorstep to 'have a quiet word'. As much as I detest the majority of our leaders they do have a private life and something like this is only really relevant if he was doing some sort of family values campaign or having a go at deadbeat dads.

Ok I can sorta see the argument that he being a senior government minister something like this informs his decision making process but it's still intimidation on the part of NI.

It's also been discussed in the Leveson hearings(is that the right word?) that the standard operation for these would be the last-minute warning that they're running a story about you, which is going to press whether you comment or not & this was used as a tactic to validate their evidence rather than a right-to-reply.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Today's Hacking Inquiry update

quote:

A private detective who hacked voicemails for the News of the World recorded himself saying over a message left by a Cabinet Minister: “Just say ‘I love you’ and it’s 25 grand.”

Glenn Mulcaire made the remark as he eavesdropped a message left by David Blunkett for a woman with whom he was developing a close friendship.

In a series of messages left on Sally Anderson’s phone in 2005, played to the phone hacking trial, Mr Blunkett attacked the “hyenas” of the press.

Unaware that the messages were being eavesdropped by Mulcaire, the then Work and Pensions Secretary believed he had been betrayed by someone.

“Whoever it is, I hope they rot in hell,” he said.

On another message, Mr Blunkett said: “They’re real bastards. They’re doing it for money and they’re doing it for themselves. It’s a sick world.”

On the final voicemail played to the jury, Mr Mulcaire – who has already pleaded guilty to hacking messages – could be heard saying: “Just say ‘I love you’ and it’s 25 grand’”.

Mr Mulcaire, whose News of the World salary was £100,000 a year, appeared to believe he would receive a cash bonus if he could produce evidence that the Cabinet minister was having a relationship with the estate agent.(cont)

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Byolante posted:

At this point I should stop being shocked by new revelations but I still am.

Birth certificates are public records - you can get a copy of anyone's if you know the place, date of birth, and for recent births the parents names.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Phone hacking trial: Kate Middleton's name found in Glenn Mulcaire list

Kate Middleton's name was found in a handwritten note by Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator employed by News of the World who hacked phones of public figures and celebrities, the Old Bailey has been told.
The prosecution showed the jury in the phone-hacking trial a note on Tuesday morning that was seized by police from Mulcaire's premises in 2006 titled "Target evaluation", with a list of 18 names.
The first name was PR agent Max Clifford but the list also included Middleton, now the Duchess of Cambridge. Other names on the list included Sven-Goran Eriksson, Boris Johnson, David James, Kerry Katona, Tom Parker Bowles and the former Sky presenter Andy Gray.
The court was discussing evidence in relation to the alleged hacking of the phones of Delia Smith and a stunt double used by Angelina Jolie and did not make any further reference to Middleton.
Others on the list included Helen Asprey, now personal private secretary to Prince Harry; Jamie Lowther Pinkerton, former private secretary to Prince William; and a friend of Prince Harry, Mark Dyer. Also featured were model Abi Titmuss and the chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, Gordon Taylor.(cont)

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Are the names tippexed out particularly juicy ones or are they names of people that have already reached a settlement with the paper?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

It must be weird having your own parody account. I suppose it would ease the burden if it was funny. In your case, the burden must weigh heavy, eh BM?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Plavski posted:

It must be weird having your own parody account. I suppose it would ease the burden if it was funny. In your case, the burden must weigh heavy, eh BM?

The great thing about the account is I just block all the people following it (most of which I've blocked already), and it saves me having to block them in the future when they Tweet dumb poo poo at me. It also helps the person running the account is a horrible misogynist and just comes across as an rear end in a top hat to anyone reading it who isn't a massive Assad fan boy.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
What problem would someone have with BM apart from just disliking his reporting? (And thus saying far more about them than him)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

willie_dee posted:

What problem would someone have with BM apart from just disliking his reporting? (And thus saying far more about them than him)

People who stick to factual truth are very annoying to ideologues who live in a fantasyland.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

willie_dee posted:

From what I could see in a brief look it was entirely pro-Assad stuff. I would take it as a complement that you are influential enough in the area that the SEA seems to want to discredit you.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Saw that, seems a bunch of them are from that dumb 4chan/reddit "RedPill" group so probably contrary trolls on top of the actual Assad supporters. A good reason to ignore them harder.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sex Vicar posted:

Saw that, seems a bunch of them are from that dumb 4chan/reddit "RedPill" group so probably contrary trolls on top of the actual Assad supporters. A good reason to ignore them harder.

Any ones in particular?

I'm sure they'll go into overdrive once the New Yorker piece on me is out on Monday.

This past Monday I had this photographer come and do the pictures for the article, so hopefully I look good in at least one of them. I think his camera and other equipment cost more than my house.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 13, 2013

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

willie_dee posted:

He's a CIA Mossad Illuminati lizardperson, mostly.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Why do Red Pillers want to get involved bashing hacking and Syria journalists? They are all about being alpha and having sex with women, like the pua Taliban.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well this is frustrating news for the Morgan family

quote:

Daniel Morgan murder review panel chairman resigns

THE chairman of an independent panel investigating the murder of Gwent private detective Daniel Morgan has resigned.

Sir Stanley Burnton, a retired lord justice of the Court of Appeal, was appointed by Home Secretary Theresa May to lead the panel but yesterday announced his resignation due to personal reasons.

The review into the murder of private detective Daniel Morgan, of Cwmbran, was announced by the Home Secretary in May 2013. Mr Morgan was found with an axe in his head in a pub car park in south-east London on March 10 1987.

Mrs May said the numerous failed investigations estimated to have cost £30 million had been 'dogged by serious allegations of police corruption'.

Sir Stanley said: "It is a matter of deep regret that I was unable to continue the important work begun by the panel. I would like to offer my best wishes to the family and the remaining panelists as the work continues into establishing the circumstances surrounding Daniel Morgan's death."

Scotland Yard has admitted that corruption was a 'debilitating factor' in the first investigation.

A spokesman for the panel said: "Sir Stanley Burnton today resigned as chairman of the Morgan Independent Panel for personal reasons. He informed the Home Secretary this afternoon.

"The work of the panel will continue and announcements about any further appointments will follow in due course. The Morgan family has been informed of Sir Stanley's decision and remains fully supportive of the panel process."

Hopefully this won't cause major delays to the panel, it was starting at any moment.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Brown Moses posted:

Any ones in particular?

I'm sure they'll go into overdrive once the New Yorker piece on me is out on Monday.

This past Monday I had this photographer come and do the pictures for the article, so hopefully I look good in at least one of them. I think his camera and other equipment cost more than my house.

I've seen that "Partisangirl" account shitpost a lot about you and linking back to 4chan's politics board (AKA /pol/) with her youtube vids. Turns out she has a following there and they are very pro-Assad from what I saw. Considering that parody account is rather detailed and petty, I wouldn't be shocked if it is 4chan related.

Congrats on the New Yorker piece by the way. Hopefully that gets some good publicity for your new project. Sorry to hear about that Daniel Morgan news though considering how much effort's been put into even just getting it noticed.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

This made me laugh:

quote:

The jury was shown a transcript of Mulcaire's tapes of Pawlby's hacked voicemails. One entry read: "Automated voice: Message deleted." Followed by: "Male voice recorded : 'Oh gently caress'."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/14/andy-coulson-charles-clarke-phone-hacking-trial

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
No trial news for days. What's going on?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

thehustler posted:

No trial news for days. What's going on?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/18/1

Right now they're going through Brooks' character issues and her time as editor of The Sun.

Toddofodd
Jun 6, 2008
I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but Brown Moses is on the front page of Huffingtonpost at the moment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/eliot-higgins-syria_n_4269417.html

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Toddofodd posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but Brown Moses is on the front page of Huffingtonpost at the moment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/eliot-higgins-syria_n_4269417.html

I'm in the New Yorker twice today, including a massively long paywalled interview (8 pages in the magazine)
Rocket Man - How an unemployed blogger confirmed that Syria had used chemical weapons.
The Weapons Behind The Ghouta Attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

I'm in the New Yorker twice today, including a massively long paywalled interview (8 pages in the magazine)
Rocket Man - How an unemployed blogger confirmed that Syria had used chemical weapons.
The Weapons Behind The Ghouta Attack
Good luck BM, hope things work out well.

• Locked thread