Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ah, then yeah - you can already do that (regenerate the world) without destroying it. With a better spawn system, hopefully even that will be less attractive though. And any such world-locked features would definitely carry over through regenerations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you're going to change the spawn system so that every character starts on its own chunk of the world you're gonna have to rework the save system first, though. Right now there's a huge save bloat and saving times increase enormously once you start to explore the map a bit, which is another reason why resetting is advisable. You shouldn't really need to save 25000-50000 map chunks every time when you've spent the last in-game month within one city.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I'm having horrible flashbacks to the Whales save system. :gonk:
Good thing it was literally one of the last things he did before retiring.

In my largest world file, even on a slow netbook, it loads at an acceptable pace but managing save files and load times is an ongoing process. Just looking through github you'll regularly see code clean up and improvements to speed things up/get rid of extraneous work so I don't think there will be anything like an overhaul any time soon.

Besides, I'm guessing if the world file is 'reset' on death it will 'forget' previous lives and not bloat the save unnecessarily. Should probably test that.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It looks like giant insect spawning zones seriously spread over time, now! :gonk: If you see bullfrogs, start running. The real horrible stuff isn't far behind.

One cool thing in the nightlies is that you can now install electric forges in your car, although this has the funny side effect of letting you install them using the one you've already got on your car, if that makes sense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anticheese posted:

It looks like giant insect spawning zones seriously spread over time, now! :gonk: If you see bullfrogs, start running. The real horrible stuff isn't far behind.

One cool thing in the nightlies is that you can now install electric forges in your car, although this has the funny side effect of letting you install them using the one you've already got on your car, if that makes sense.

That's a welcome change, I like making a little solar powered kitchen/welding shop in my base, so being able to include a forge is going to be fun.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Certain swamp creatures will now spawn outside the swamp tiles in certain conditions, and they shouldn't be anywhere near the levels of danger that they used to be.

Be nice to the frog. :frogout:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cardiovorax posted:

If you're going to change the spawn system so that every character starts on its own chunk of the world you're gonna have to rework the save system first, though. Right now there's a huge save bloat and saving times increase enormously once you start to explore the map a bit, which is another reason why resetting is advisable. You shouldn't really need to save 25000-50000 map chunks every time when you've spent the last in-game month within one city.

It's being reworked for z-levels anyway, hopefully that will give us what we need..

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
Just chiming in to say that this game is awesome. This thead is awesome too.

I feel a bit like save scumming a wand of wishes in nethack, because for my first game I chose to start with 25 trait (skill, w/e) points, so I had 20 strength. Enarmed with wiki knowledge I also chose krav maga so I guess that made me kind of oblivious to the early game hassles? I dont know, because the first thing I found lying on the road to the village I wanted to loot were a few soldiers armed with a laser rifle, many CBMs Grenades, Kevlar Vests and backpacks and packs too many to count.

Thats actually the first time in any roguelike that I am this lucky. After reading more one the wiki, raiding a few sciencelabs and so on I think I am honestly some kind of invincible guy right now. I guess my next game choices will be to see how to craft cars and an awesome base and then I will get back to be humiliated by this game by choosing to start a normal start.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

demonicon posted:

I feel a bit like save scumming a wand of wishes in nethack, because for my first game I chose to start with 25 trait (skill, w/e) points, so I had 20 strength. Enarmed with wiki knowledge I also chose krav maga so I guess that made me kind of oblivious to the early game hassles? I dont know, because the first thing I found lying on the road to the village I wanted to loot were a few soldiers armed with a laser rifle, many CBMs Grenades, Kevlar Vests and backpacks and packs too many to count.

Thats actually the first time in any roguelike that I am this lucky. After reading more one the wiki, raiding a few sciencelabs and so on I think I am honestly some kind of invincible guy right now. I guess my next game choices will be to see how to craft cars and an awesome base and then I will get back to be humiliated by this game by choosing to start a normal start.

Nothing wrong with giving yourself a bit of a boost to start out with. I played on classic zombies only for a while when I started.

So I just raided a science lab myself for the first time, and I gotta say, it was pretty neat. the first couple of abandoned levels had a ton of CBM's, and the lower levels were pretty exciting with the lovecraftian monsters, bitterly cold temperatures, odd chattering of what I assume were scientist ghosts since I didn't actually find any scientists, and the room full of cbm's and security bots. A lot of the flavor text on the terminals was pretty fun to sift through as well. I've always been a sucker for that kind of stuff.
Now I'm off to raid a military bunker that was revealed on my map when I downloaded some map data. would you guys say bunkers are tougher or easier than labs?

Also, I found this baby a few of tiles away from a gas station in great condition.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

odd chattering of what I assume were scientist ghosts
That was one of the lovecraftian monsters, mimicking human speech that it had heard. I think the Mi-Go is what does it?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

demonicon posted:

:siren:The Wiki is hilariously out of date.:siren:
There might be some general things still accurate but the vast majority is not valid any more. I'd check here before deciding something based on its information, especially as unarmed combat is entirely different to what is currently on the wiki. (And still changing)

You'll find nice little loot opportunities quite often in Cataclysm, because you need them to survive quite often. Quite a few of the things you can find aren't useful until you're more established/skilled but finding explosives early is always great. Careful installing CBMs early unless you want to be a sad cyborg.
You probably don't need to bump your stats up incredibly high whilst learning, probably better to give yourself some extra traits as 1.0 spawns things should be manageable.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Now I'm off to raid a military bunker that was revealed on my map when I downloaded some map data. would you guys say bunkers are tougher or easier than labs?

Military Bunkers are a small underground rooms with no defences. Unless you break down the front door, then turrets will activate
e: Yeah the Mi-Go mimics human speech it heard, which makes things pretty grim.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh drat, that's even cooler then. little snippets of conversation it heard from before the outbreak. it had me pretty spooked when I heard human conversation down in the lower labs, I thought the lab was still active.
Shame that bunkers are just loot, I was hoping for another tough raid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mi Go was pretty awesome when I encountered one, unfortunately it was locked in a room and I couldn't get to it.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...
Man, this game has consumed my past couple of days, but the best thing about it is telling my friends about my various deaths

:downs: So this bear attacks me, right? Luckily I had a teleportation bionic that let me into a nearby building. The bear tries to climb in through the broken window and I beat him to death with the crowbar.
:allears: What happened next?
:downs: Well, I walked through the window to butcher the corpse and cut my torso on the broken glass I forgot to clean. Game over.

Anyone have any good tips on surviving long enough to become a murder machine? Are there any perks/skills that you Vets wouldn't start up a game without?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Yamtaggler posted:

Man, this game has consumed my past couple of days, but the best thing about it is telling my friends about my various deaths

:downs: So this bear attacks me, right? Luckily I had a teleportation bionic that let me into a nearby building. The bear tries to climb in through the broken window and I beat him to death with the crowbar.
:downs: Well, I walked through the window to butcher the corpse and cut my torso on the broken glass I forgot to clean. Game over.

Anyone have any good tips on surviving long enough to become a murder machine? Are there any perks/skills that you Vets wouldn't start up a game without?

I think you mean:
:downs: So this bear attacks me, right?
:downs:Well, he pulled out his SMG and blew my brains out! :suicide:

Man, I miss the days bears carried a piece.
I always take Quick, Fleet-Footed and Parkour. Packmule is also very important for my play style, 40% extra volume is a lot. The reason I go this route is because 9/10 mobility can win a fight, using terrain and being quick allows for effective ranged weapon kiting and melee repositioning or just simply spreading out/escaping hordes.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Strumpie posted:

I think you mean:

I always take Quick, Fleet-Footed and Parkour. Packmule is also very important for my play style, 40% extra volume is a lot. The reason I go this route is because 9/10 mobility can win a fight, using terrain and being quick allows for effective ranged weapon kiting and melee repositioning or just simply spreading out/escaping hordes.

I consider packmule a bit of a waste on a ranged character. When torso encumbrance isn't a big issue, 2 duffel bags usually means you will reach the item limit before you reach the volume limit unless you're hauling around car parts. Totally agree about the others though, I haven't gone a game without them.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 7, 2013

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I consider packmule a bit of a waste on a primarily ranged character. When torso encumbrance isn't a big issue, 2 duffel bags usually means you will reach the item limit before you reach the volume limit unless you're hauling around car parts.

I heavily invest in melee and ranged combat on all my characters. Why limit myself to one play style when I can have a crossbow and katana at the same time.

I typically keep my encumbrance low until I feel I have enough equipment/CBMs/mutations to wade into heavy combat and then I switch out low encumbrance gear for high encumbrance but highly defensive gear and take the hits because I can.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I typically go for 14 strength, 14 dexterity and 12 perception. Its dead easy to pick up Survival 3 from picking through undergrowth, and a knife spear is a really drat good weapon that can be made in under a few minutes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anticheese posted:

I typically go for 14 strength, 14 dexterity and 12 perception. Its dead easy to pick up Survival 3 from picking through undergrowth, and a knife spear is a really drat good weapon that can be made in under a few minutes.

I thought you needed 14 intelligence for books. Isn't there a hard cap to the books you can read?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Nope! One of the first things I did when I was producing my version pre-DDA was to turn the hard cap into a soft cap. DDA has picked up that fix as well. It'll take a little longer for you to read top-tier stuff, but you're no longer dependant on slamming adderal to even recognise the words on pages.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
How do all of you start out a game of Catacylsm, I'm curious. Right now I'm running version 0.8, dynamic spawn, no skill rust (because gently caress that bs)

I usually grab some rocks, craft a crowbar and then go looking for storage space and tools, throwing rocks at lone zombies and then camping out back in the shelter while raising survival skills. Lately I found pulling shrubs in the forest to train survival to 1, then making digging sticks from smashed small trees gets survival up pretty easily, letting you carve meat effectively and also letting you make a stone pot and bone needles too. Speaking of rocks, I found I have a far easier and completely ammo-unreliant time just throwing rocks or tools at squirrels and rabbits, as opposed to bothering with the giant slog that is archery.

Also grinding mechanics to 8 from just dismantling abandoned wrecks is pretty broken, once you get there you can make a pneumatic bolt rifle (though there are no ways to make steel bolts yet it seems)

I've been fiddling with the negative occupations too, I thought it was kind of strange that the shower victim had no clothes (at least start with a towel, sheesh) but still managed to have matches and a pocket knife. I tried burning both and going with not even a blade or firestarter, and learned that surviving without a sharp edge is really, really hard.

e: One of the more convenient things I discovered was using ( to disassemble long strings, you can just smash a few windows and have enough string to make survival gear or mend clothes with. I'm still kind of surprised that practicing on un-damaged clothing is still far and away the best method for training tailoring, honestly.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 8, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Ugh, a pretty good run has been hit with a bug where sleeping never makes me less tired. And I'd lucked out finding a vial of Mutagen and then getting High Night Vision too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: Quote is not edit.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 8, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=4077.15

There is a really interesting debate going on in the forums between the three (I think?) developers. It's nice to read their thoughts on the game, though I have to agree with Glyph on this one. Especially when Granade was just talking about how we need to find ways to make zombies stronger into the late game.

nftyw posted:

How do all of you start out a game of Catacylsm, I'm curious. Right now I'm running version 0.8, dynamic spawn, no skill rust (because gently caress that bs)

I usually grab some rocks, craft a crowbar and then go looking for storage space and tools, throwing rocks at lone zombies and then camping out back in the shelter while raising survival skills. Lately I found pulling shrubs in the forest to train survival to 1, then making digging sticks from smashed small trees gets survival up pretty easily, letting you carve meat effectively and also letting you make a stone pot and bone needles too. Speaking of rocks, I found I have a far easier and completely ammo-unreliant time just throwing rocks or tools at squirrels and rabbits, as opposed to bothering with the giant slog that is archery.

Also grinding mechanics to 8 from just dismantling abandoned wrecks is pretty broken, once you get there you can make a pneumatic bolt rifle (though there are no ways to make steel bolts yet it seems)

I've been fiddling with the negative occupations too, I thought it was kind of strange that the shower victim had no clothes (at least start with a towel, sheesh) but still managed to have matches and a pocket knife. I tried burning both and going with not even a blade or firestarter, and learned that surviving without a sharp edge is really, really hard.

e: One of the more convenient things I discovered was using ( to disassemble long strings, you can just smash a few windows and have enough string to make survival gear or mend clothes with. I'm still kind of surprised that practicing on un-damaged clothing is still far and away the best method for training tailoring, honestly.

Start as Tailor, with an extra point in tailoring.

Spawn, Smash 2 lockers, 4 windows, and a bench. Go find a rock, cut up a sheet into rags make a backpack, a knife spear, reinforce all my clothes, and a make shift crowbar. Murder some animals if they get close / in my way, then go to a house. Pop open one or two houses so I have a day or two worth of food or water. Smash more windows, get enough rags to make a blanket, and make a makeshift bed in the downstairs area. Go find rocks, make a small stove there too.

Now it's night or close too, if I found a book I read that book, if I didn't I spend the night grinding a skill. Doesn't really matter, just grinding a skill will do.

Next day, grab more poo poo to survive another day or two. Keep grinding whatever combat skill I am using. Go back to my house drink water / eat food, grind skills. When I finally get a really high combat skill I finally start going into the "inners" of the city. I'm looking for a shopping cart and some groceries, also some books. If I succeed then I don't have to leave for two or three days and I can learn a poo poo ton about a poo poo ton.

By then I have a hacksaw or something, so I start to grind the poo poo out of cars. Once my skill is up I start building my murder wagon. I normally go for something that can have a kitchen, a bed, and some cupboards installed. Turrets are nice, but kind of unwieldly and I've always felt they were useless, YMMV. Don't make your murder house too big, you won't be able to fit it between cars on the street.

Then I go raid a science lab's first level for mutagen, CBM's, and more books. You need high mechanics, first aid, and electronics if you're going to install CBM's and honestly, you won't go wrong popping some adderal as well.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

Ugh, a pretty good run has been hit with a bug where sleeping never makes me less tired. And I'd lucked out finding a vial of Mutagen and then getting High Night Vision too.

Are you sure you aren't just REALLY tired? Once you go several days without sleep, you'll have to conk out for basically a full 24 hours before you recover. If you aren't sleeping well (aim for a bed, plenty of warmth if it's chilly, somewhere inside and dark where the sun won't bother you) it will take even longer.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Like the wiki, 0.8 is so out of date you"ll appreciate the latest nightly build.

0.9 should be released in a week or so and people still on 0.8 will see just how much has changed. (its a lot)

I'm sure GlyphGryph will read it soon enough. Again I find myself agreeing with him, I always felt the zombies were a secondary and incidental obstacle to what occurred during the cataclysm. In the existing lore we already know this is the case so I don't see how someone can argue otherwise.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Honestly the book stuff in cataclysm is my least favorite part of the game. It's so pointless to have skill loadouts and stuff when every skill in the game can be increased to super levels with a couple books. It's not even hard to find useful books on a new character just time consuming to read them all.

I just made a starting loadout with most skills at post bookread levels because it gets to the game faster without dealing with the several days of book reading.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

randombattle posted:

Honestly the book stuff in cataclysm is my least favorite part of the game. It's so pointless to have skill loadouts and stuff when every skill in the game can be increased to super levels with a couple books. It's not eveuon hard to find useful books on a new character just time consuming to read them all.

I just made a starting loadout with most skills at post bookread levels because it gets to the game faster without dealing with the several days of book reading.

Are you on 0.8? Books received quite an overhaul and with the addition of recipes serve a good function.

I typically dont spend much time reading until I need a specific skill, usually for crafting.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Are you sure you aren't just REALLY tired? Once you go several days without sleep, you'll have to conk out for basically a full 24 hours before you recover. If you aren't sleeping well (aim for a bed, plenty of warmth if it's chilly, somewhere inside and dark where the sun won't bother you) it will take even longer.

I was not, in fact, just REALLY tired, it started more at just tired and tired wouldn't go away no matter how much I slept, and then dead tired and it wouldn't go back to tired no matter how much I slept, and then exhausted and it wouldn't go back to dead tired no matter how much I slept.

I actually just managed to fix it by downing 20 caffeine pills at once though, so :shrug:.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 8, 2013

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If it's still happening, do you think you could e-mail me the save at glyphgryph@gmail.com ? I'll try to get to the bottom of it.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I like the book mechanics, especially now that some recipes can only be obtained by reading them. There are many things that need work in Cataclysm, but I would like to see some work on the skill system in general. As it is, although you can level skills to 100, almost all of them have benefits that cap out around level 20, so increasing further does absolutely squat. Personally, I'd like to see abilities tied to skill levels. Being able to pull off maneuvers after a certain level in driving, or having the ability to further modify your clothing with tailoring.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I like the books that help train up skills that normally take way too long to grind, like computing.

I must admit, I hardly ever try for anything other than an archery start. Secure a small house on the edge of a city on day one, build a stove, make a bone needle and sew yourself some bags, survive off toilet water, squirrels and leftovers for a few days while you grind archery, cut down everything with a hailstorm of heavy wood arrows, then metal arrows once you find a hacksaw. It's pretty costly stat-wise though, I believe you need at least 12 of everything except intelligence to use the best bow without penalties. If I'm playing a long-term game, I also start with Robust Genetics and one of the Bionic occupations. Mutagen roulette is much safer and you don't have to faff about looking for a good power bionic.

I think they mentioned one thing they were considering adding was a 'practice' option which used up a bit of your time and gave you a slight skill boost, to ease up on repetitive grinding. That sounds like a reasonable alternative to books. That said, it seems to me that the major skill books require more or less the same amount of time and commitment than grinding up the skill otherwise would. Once you've got a good spot and a reasonable food stockpile, you can take your time to grind up most non-combat skills pretty easily. Tailoring is a matter of collecting sheets and string from windows and making socks over and over, mechanics can be trained up fairly quickly by disassembling wrecks, cooking is a matter of boiling water, and you can train up electronics by making batteries. Skill books for skills like first aid and computers make sense, and those are pretty difficult to raise without books.

I'd kind of like to see more vanity stuff that can be unlocked at higher skill levels. Like the cheeseburgers for cooking, where it doesn't have much of an impact on your game, but it's fun to make. I'd certainly like to craft more extravagant furniture for my base, at least.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 8, 2013

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

demonicon posted:

Just an update: I installed just 2 CBMs so far an AEOro Vaporator and an integrated toolset because the game told me that there was just a 20% chance that everything goes horribly wrong. Normall this is my death sentence in any roguelike but so far it seems I am okay even. I raided a library earlier and managed to get my first aid to level 6 so that may be why I am not a sad cyborg yet? :)

I have a few CBMs I dont dare install right now (wired reflexes is at 80% failure) how do I up that?

edit: that wasnt actually the post I wanted to quote wtf!

demonicon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 8, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

demonicon posted:

Just an update: I installed just 2 CBMs so far an AEOro Vaporator and an integrated toolset because the game told me that there was just a 20% chance that everything goes horribly wrong. Normall this is my death sentence in any roguelike but so far it seems I am okay even. I raided a library earlier and managed to get my first aid to level 6 so that may be why I am not a sad cyborg yet? :)

I have a few CBMs I dont dare install right now (wired reflexes is at 80% failure) how do I up that?

Electronics, First Aid, and Mechanics. (Also Intelligence)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Integrated toolset is the king of bionics. If you can get a metabolic interchange, you're golden.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Personally, I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY love some work done on the inventory system. 75 items barely cover my clothing and Survival Clothes. And yeah, shopping carts, but I should be able to carry stuff that I have space for AND strength to carry. Perhaps a way to have multiple screens of inventory with symbols being reused between the screens?

ps: I want a rocket-powered car.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Strumpie posted:

Again I find myself agreeing with him, I always felt the zombies were a secondary and incidental obstacle to what occurred during the cataclysm. In the existing lore we already know this is the case so I don't see how someone can argue otherwise.

The one guy's argument seems to boil down to the fact that moving things in that direction inteferes with the lore he made up for the game (in his head). :rolleyes:

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 8, 2013

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Strumpie posted:

I think you mean:

Bears with guns was a hilarious bug in the early builds of GDA unless I'm mistaken.

I was learning what lengths I could take the monster spawns and forgot to comment out bear guns.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, I've always thought one neat thing about Cataclysm was the multiple apocalypses all occurring at once. There's already enough regular zombie survival stuff out there, it's the flavour that really makes this game. Plus, classic zombie mode already exists. I do like his idea of interfaction wars late-game, though. Plus, I'm really not sure how zombies could ever be a main threat in comparison to the otherdimensional stuff, especially when the former exists largely due to the latter.

I would like to see a world that slowly grows and evolves, though. Maybe in addition to nether portals opening up late-game, have open portals early-game crawling with otherworldly creatures that slowly close up and the creatures die off as time passes. Have small fungal sprouts and triffid growths that can be cut down before they turn into full-fledged groves. Extremely risky early-game areas, but with a high reward.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Intelligence is the biggest piece of installing CBMs but the hardest to change after you've started.