Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

What do you mean "even more power"? All Eren has going for him so far is being a shifter, and that's gotten him pretty much nowhere. If anything, it's caused him way more trouble than if he wasn't and just fought normally. That's honestly one of my favorite parts of the series so far, what appeared to be a shonen power-up turned out to be lovely. Having it end up useful (via controlling other titans) would be nice and might actually let Eren stop being a damsel in distress.

It is entirely a power gain. I will agree it has drawbacks and that is what makes it interesting but saying that it's gotten him pretty much nowhere is ridiculous. It got him out of a titan. It saved his friends when they needed to resupply. It saved mikasa. It plugged up the gate. It captured Anna and nearly caught the armored titan. It's gotten him somewhere, just with a fair bit of trouble along the way.

Edit: Is this a spoiler thread? Should I even bother with these spoiler tags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Go back and look. Lightning doesn't shoot out of his face, he doesn't command the titans to do anything, and the only vaguely supernatural thing going on at the time was his fists smoking. He yells aaaa real loud and punches a titan and then the other titans jump that one. I would not be surprised at all if it was someone else controlling the titans and that was just clever timing. Which I hope is what happened since giving Eren even more power is boring.

All that said, it's like, 95% chance it's Eren. I am just paranoid.

It's either he did something to freak Bert and Reiner out and make the titans rush them, or he has the best sense of timing in the world.

Failboattootoot posted:

Edit: Is this a spoiler thread? Should I even bother with these spoiler tags?

Don't bother, unless it's a few days after a new chapter releases nobody tags anything.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
My friend sent me this and it looks like at least one website is including Before the Fall with the official manga, making it look canon. Is it canon? I don't even know.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Saagonsa posted:

It's either he did something to freak Bert and Reiner out and make the titans rush them, or he has the best sense of timing in the world.

Ah, I was looking at panels ahead of that.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Did anyone else not realize why Eren's hands were smoking that issue or was it just me? It looks like he had once again chomped his hands to no effect for some reason. It isn't emphasized like it had been when it happened in previous times when he had failed to transform but while he's there going nuts as Hannes is gobbled up you can see bite marks on his hands. It was a detail I didn't see until I decided to re-read it on Crunchroll.

Speaky of Crunchyroll, that translation is so much better. Never going to read the scanlations again if they put the rest of the issues up. Why didn't any of the scanlations bother translating the onomatopoeia, either?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Captain Backslap posted:

Speaky of Crunchyroll, that translation is so much better. Never going to read the scanlations again if they put the rest of the issues up. Why didn't any of the scanlations bother translating the onomatopoeia, either?

Because mostly scanlation groups aren't about quality translation. They're about getting poo poo out as fast as possible, plastering your names all over it and shouting "FIRST!". Gotta reap that sweet, sweet ego boost.

But seriously, you just get what you pay for.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 2, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Backslap posted:

Did anyone else not realize why Eren's hands were smoking that issue or was it just me? It looks like he had once again chomped his hands to no effect for some reason. It isn't emphasized like it had been when it happened in previous times when he had failed to transform but while he's there going nuts as Hannes is gobbled up you can see bite marks on his hands. It was a detail I didn't see until I decided to re-read it on Crunchroll.

Eren was still healing from his earlier injuries. He was just missing the tips of his fingers, last time we got a clear shot of his arms he had no hands.

Edit: Actually, upon re-reading the sequence, it looks like Mikasa may have cut him when she chopped off his bindings and there is a panel where he has clearly bitten himself.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 2, 2013

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Does crunchyroll have the full archive until now?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Just the last five chapters. You're supposed to buy the earlier ones.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Failboattootoot posted:

Go back and look. Lightning doesn't shoot out of his face, he doesn't command the titans to do anything, and the only vaguely supernatural thing going on at the time was his fists smoking. He yells aaaa real loud and punches a titan and then the other titans jump that one. I would not be surprised at all if it was someone else controlling the titans and that was just clever timing. Which I hope is what happened since giving Eren even more power is boring.

All that said, it's like, 95% chance it's Eren. I am just paranoid.
Check Eren's face, before and during/after the event. Notice anything different?

Go back and look. :v:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Captain Backslap posted:

Fan translations of manga always ignore that stuff and it's weird as hell. Something dramatic happens and there's a huge sound effect plastered across half the panel! Meh, nobody's going to care what that says, right? The characters are reacting to a sound from off-panel! Better hope you can figure out what it is from context, the translator isn't going to tell you. :effort:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Suaimhneas posted:

Fan translations of manga always ignore that stuff and it's weird as hell. Something dramatic happens and there's a huge sound effect plastered across half the panel! Meh, nobody's going to care what that says, right? The characters are reacting to a sound from off-panel! Better hope you can figure out what it is from context, the translator isn't going to tell you. :effort:

Youtsuba& is a rare counterexample; the scans had all the sound effects and on-page text redrawn and translated and it worked great. The official Yen Press versions only do the speech bubbles and put the translations for soundfx and signage into the margins. Yotsuba& is still great though, and worth every penny.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Suaimhneas posted:

Yea, we're lucky to even get a translators note from some of these guys

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
The fan translators generally expect their predominantly nerdy audience to be familiar with manga conventions though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

DiscoMouse posted:

The fan translators generally expect their predominantly nerdy audience to be familiar with manga conventions though.

I've been reading manga since 05 but that doesn't mean I recognise onomatopoeia. It's just big scribbles to me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The only Japanese letter I recognize after all these years of reading manga is "あ", and I only learned that because of Azumanga Daioh. It means "Ah", and shonen manga love to use it for screaming!

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
And just because you can read the characters that make up the onomatopoeia doesn't mean you know what sound it's supposed to represent.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I've been reading scanlated manga without onomatopoeia for so long that I actually find it distracting and weird when it is translated. Especially since they usually just transliterate it, so you don't really know what it's supposed to represent anyway.

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

Captain Backslap posted:

The manga service is not available in my country :(

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
When scanslators don't translate sound effects it's because they don't think cleaning/redrawing/typesetting the SFX is worth their time (relative to working on more series/chapters) and cluttering the margins is distracting. If you ever reaaally want to know what some untranslated sound effect is you can look up the hira/kata and shove them into this site. Not hard at all, no knowledge of runes required.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Mio Bison posted:

When scanslators don't translate sound effects it's because they don't think cleaning/redrawing/typesetting the SFX is worth their time (relative to working on more series/chapters) and cluttering the margins is distracting. If you ever reaaally want to know what some untranslated sound effect is you can look up the hira/kata and shove them into this site. Not hard at all, no knowledge of runes required.

This level of extra effort on behalf of the reader is not a mark of a good translation.

But again, you're getting what you pay for.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Basically, just imagine every sound effect as either the "foooom" noise, someone screaming or that sharp electric noise that appears in every 80's anime when something crazy happens. I don't even bother reading the sound effects anymore since they're usually one of those.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

For Attack on Titan if I don't know what a sound effect is I just pretend it's ROAAAAAAAR, thank you Attack on Titan anime for clearing that up!

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I just assume its the sound effect of someone eating and am pleasantly surprised on the occasions it doesn't come true.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

DrSunshine posted:

The only Japanese letter I recognize after all these years of reading manga is "あ", and I only learned that because of Azumanga Daioh. It means "Ah", and shonen manga love to use it for screaming!
ABAJ for life.

Fake edit: I don't mind this derail since there's nothing coming out AoT related for another week probably.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: The raw is out :siren:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Apparently some mutiny broke out or something, seeing Military Police whipping out guns against civilians with pitchforks?

I guess some time has passed too, since Erwin looks like he's grown some facial hair while in bed after losing his arm. Oh, looks like Hanji's recovered! :getin:

They're finally talking about Connie's mother, and tied her down to Connie's old house, though I can't read Mandarin so I have no idea what they're saying. Poor guy looks devastated, though :smith:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 7, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Hurray Sasha's finally back.

E: Eren in cleaning mode! Holy poo poo this chapter is peak adorable.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 7, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oh no. Poor Connie! :( Having to face the awful truth.

Edit: It seems that this chapter finally confirms what the Titans are. They are transformed humans. The reason there isn't a pilot in normal titans is because they have become the Titan itself. Cutting their neck severs the brain stem of the human that they once were. They've checked the nape of the neck for pilots but only find a spine there. It's obvious in hindsight that this has likely been the case since Eren popped out of his Titan's neck though. Kind of an unreveal.

During the conversation in the room about how Titans are transformed humans, Levi expresses guilt for having unknowingly slaughtered so many humans, while Commander Erwin has the opposite reaction to the news.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 7, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Well that just makes me more convinced of my earlier speculation that this whole debacle is the result of some experiment gone wrong either accidentally or not. They were probably studying titanification as a weapon or reconstructive therapy for severed limbs or something and someone (likely Monkey Trouble) either hosed up or deliberately released a titanification agent in the population. Later they perfected the system so that the "user" wouldn't be consumed in the process and you get the titan pilots.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

Well that just makes me more convinced of my earlier speculation that this whole debacle is the result of some experiment gone wrong either accidentally or not. They were probably studying titanification as a weapon or reconstructive therapy for severed limbs or something and someone (likely Monkey Trouble) either hosed up or deliberately released a titanification agent in the population. Later they perfected the system so that the "user" wouldn't be consumed in the process and you get the titan pilots.

One thing to consider is that there is the Coordinate, which is apparently a Titan Commander. I think that implies they are a weapon of war or ultimately meant to controlled for whatever their purpose is.

My question is if this is the case did the titans go horribly right and it's creators lose control of them? Or is someone out there pulling the strings in the shadows and the titans are doing exactly what they want?

Another fun spoiler from this latest chapter. Mikasa broke three ribs from the last battle. The end of the chapter is about a week later. When Mikasa comes back in with firewood, Armin gets worried about her health, Eren says he tried to stop her but she insisted- and that her abs looked sore when he checked on her while she was doing situps. Jean gets jealous and says "What, you peeked on them?" http://www.onemanga.me/Attack_on_Titan/51/44/

It's fun humor. But wait a minute...already recovered from three broken ribs in a week? That takes months! Isayama sure likes playing with our heads, I think.

Edit: Oh poo poo! The picture Connie shows. It shows his father and mother right? http://i.imgur.com/DzROU6A.jpg Isayama you magnificent bastard.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 7, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Also, is it just me or does nobody seem to be aware of Eren's newfound power besides the other Titan Shifters? As far as I can tell from chapter 50, nobody was like "Wow, why is Chuckles getting eaten? Hey, Eren, did you sic a bunch of titans on him and then Reiner and Bertholdt?"

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 7, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

onepixeljumpman posted:

And just because you can read the characters that make up the onomatopoeia doesn't mean you know what sound it's supposed to represent.

I just insert my own, Don Martin-esque sound effects.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I keep refreshing the Crunchyroll manga page, and the chapter keeps on not being there. Those black bars are killing me!

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
Someone on Tumblr posted the 4chan translations together with the pictures:

http://svenpai.tumblr.com/post/66270346731/snk-chapter-51-translations

Not typeset but I appreciate the translation notes anyway for what was vague/unlcear in the original Chinese.

EDIT: Typeset! 1 2 3 4

victorisham fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 7, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ah, we needed a breather to sit down and confirm alot of speculation. Considering the breakneck pace since where the anime ended, we absolutely needed it.

You can really tell the characters of Levi and Erwin. I've said it before, Levi is cold and cynical, but underneath that he genuinely cares about others. Erwin on the other hand is utterly ruthless and is being consumed by guilt and barely concealed despair.

And great, we just raised death flags over the entirety of the 104th. Isayama's getting a second go at killing Sasha.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Compared to the transcripts I saw on 2ch those translations are hilariously off the mark with alarming frequency, just a heads up. Take it with a grain of salt.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

quote:

It's fun humor. But wait a minute...already recovered from three broken ribs in a week? That takes months! Isayama sure likes playing with our heads, I think.
You can do most things with broken ribs, it will just hurt like hell

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

AnonSpore posted:

Compared to the transcripts I saw on 2ch those translations are hilariously off the mark with alarming frequency, just a heads up. Take it with a grain of salt.

Boo. Well, it was obvious that the final bit in the cottage was badly translated, the rest seemed fairly okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mine had Eren screaming "WE are the walking titans!"

change my name fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 8, 2013