Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

doctorfrog posted:

[list]
[*]curated two Crawl threads in this very forum while not being able to regularly get past the Temple, partly because I just like playing random characters to see what they can do

I get the urge to screw around but this barely makes sense to me, what's the point of trying to 'see what they can do' if you're dying before the temple? You don't even really get a character rolling until you have a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

The biggest, "Oh, wow, so this is what people mean about X class," moment for me in Crawl was the first time I got a Naga Ice Elementalist worshipping... uh... the V god I think? Vehumet? Whoever gave you mana when you killed things with spells, to reliably cast Freezing Cloud (or whatever level 6 AoE spell they start with but can't cast till much later is, if they even still have it, the classes all changed a lot since 0.8). Making a room fill with deadly freezing vapors that dealt partially irrestible damage (iirc anyway) while regenning mana off of it was insane. But yeah, Crawl is a neat game where characters really came into their own and diverged in playstyles from one another (at least at the archetype level, not a huge difference between a gladiator and a fighter last I played) as the game progresses.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The classes are really just a starting point, the bigger determinant of how a character is going to play is race and god combo IMO.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

[*]curated two Crawl threads in this very forum while not being able to regularly get past the Temple, partly because I just like playing random characters to see what they can do

To be fair, don't the stats show that D:3 is the biggest killer by far?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Aren't hobgoblins the number 1 killer?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now that Desktop Dungeons is finally done (!!!) and on Steam (I'm downloading it right now, finally the ability to play offline...) maybe someone should make a thread? Considering it's a game with a lot of stuff and a lot of strategy that constantly changes as you unlock the millions of things there are to unlock...

I would do it but I am not good at detailed OPs, at all.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

andrew smash posted:

I get the urge to screw around but this barely makes sense to me, what's the point of trying to 'see what they can do' if you're dying before the temple? You don't even really get a character rolling until you have a god.

Because I'm playing the game wrong. I was doing stuff like trying to imagine little backstories for my characters and whatnot. Then the game kept changing every month for a while, and it seemed like what worked yesterday wasn't working now, and it was becoming actual work trying to figure out what changed and what narrow character I was supposed to pick that would be successful, so I just started exploring what random combinations of characters would be like, because that was more interesting than following the latest forum-approved newbie build. This was on my way out of the game, admittedly, I didn't start out playing like that.

But mostly because I'm bad at this video game. In the end, I decided that Crawl was somehow a college course about itself that you could get lost in with the right personality, and I just didn't have that personality.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 7, 2013

HellsEmbrace
Jul 14, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Most combat doesn't risk death. Most combat drains resources, but death is only a direct risk at certain moments. Identifying those moments and avoiding them is key.

You can tab your way through DCSS without any real issues as long as you can identify the actual dangers and adjust your actions at those moments.

Someone literally programmed a bot to do exactly that with a Hill Orc Berserker, it ceded control to the player when it perceived itself in a threatening situation but otherwise just autoexplored and tabbed through the entire game. It ascended as a three-runer in about 32 minutes. Here's the character dump.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/parabolic/morgue-parabolic-20120930-030757.txt

So basically, you're exactly right.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

I believe they were some versions ago, now they're "only" in the top 5. I'm not sure exactly why though.

According to the stats for the 0.13 tournament, gnolls took the #1 spot (thanks to spawning in packs and having polearms, I bet), and orc priests were 2nd, both by a pretty good margin.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

doctorfrog posted:

Because I'm playing the game wrong. I was doing stuff like trying to imagine little backstories for my characters and whatnot. Then the game kept changing every month for a while, and it seemed like what worked yesterday wasn't working now, and it was becoming actual work trying to figure out what changed and what narrow character I was supposed to pick that would be successful, so I just started exploring what random combinations of characters would be like, because that was more interesting than following the latest forum-approved newbie build. This was on my way out of the game, admittedly, I didn't start out playing like that.

But mostly because I'm bad at this video game. In the end, I decided that Crawl was somehow a college course about itself that you could get lost in with the right personality, and I just didn't have that personality.

Recommended character choices are literally highlighted on the selection screen. Sorry it didn't work out though.
Though, all the things that work to getting to the temple in Crawl are pretty much universal strategy in all roguelikes.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

S.T.C.A. posted:

drat, what level were you? And I assume you did Golgotha first to get there (in terms of it being required to unlock something, I know it shows up on the map by default)?

Does Omon Porch have any way to unlock the force fields, or is that at all related to Bethesda Susa?

Is there anything in the Deathlands yet? That is, besides crazyass level 48+ swarm-rocket-launcher wielding chrome pyramids lurking underground, so don't enter any tunnels over there holy shiiiiiiet instant death with 140 hp

26 maybe? Espers are really strong. I did Golgotha first because it's easier & comes first in the questline, but I'm not sure it actually unlocks anything.

I don't remember any forcefields beyond the entrance to Grit Gate? You visit Omonporch briefly for the main questline, but that's near the end of the game, after you've already cleared Bethesda Susa.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

icantfindaname posted:

Nobody has mentioned brogue in a while, but is there some kind of established plan you're supposed to follow w/r/t equipment? Should I get a plate armor and endgame weapon right away and keep them around until I have enough strength to use them, or not worry about that until the endgame? Should scrolls of enchanting be used primarily for armor, or should I use them on staves and rings and such?

The changes to the stealth system are so game shifting in 1.7.3 that I no longer know the correct answer to this question. I haven't been playing as much either, so I haven't had time to generate a proper opinion.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

_jink posted:

26 maybe? Espers are really strong. I did Golgotha first because it's easier & comes first in the questline, but I'm not sure it actually unlocks anything.

I don't remember any forcefields beyond the entrance to Grit Gate? You visit Omonporch briefly for the main questline, but that's near the end of the game, after you've already cleared Bethesda Susa.

What do you recommend for someone like me to do at 20 who isn't able to take on Golgotha yet but doesn't really have anywhere else?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone's working on an Incursion-inspired T-Engine module:

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=The_Veins_of_the_Earth

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Would anybody be interested in helping to compile a list of the cool little unique encounters in Qud? I've found a few myself, some of which are pretty easy to stumble into and others which are further scattered. They're my favorite thing about the game and I would like to find or at least read about the others people have found.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

The changes to the stealth system are so game shifting in 1.7.3 that I no longer know the correct answer to this question. I haven't been playing as much either, so I haven't had time to generate a proper opinion.

What are these changes to the stealth system everyone is mentioning? I just started playing the game recently. Was stealth heavily buffed or something?

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord

TOOT BOOT posted:

Someone's working on an Incursion-inspired T-Engine module:

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=The_Veins_of_the_Earth

This looks real promising. The T-Engine GUI is amazing and is a perfect fit for the game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

icantfindaname posted:

What are these changes to the stealth system everyone is mentioning? I just started playing the game recently. Was stealth heavily buffed or something?

Essentially, the stealth system used to not care about your armor at all, so plate armor was always the best choice in every situation (barring a really great runic, but most runic armor still wasn't as good as plate).

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

It's a basically an entirely new stealth system. You now have a "Stealth radius", which is really there opposite, it's the radius within which you can be seen. Inside the radius I think it's a flat 25% chance per turn that a monster will notice you, and monsters outside of it will never see you. Heavier armour increases your (un) stealth radius, and not moving for a turn cuts it in half. Since you now know when you can and can't be seen, you can sneak intelligently - if you're willing to forego the protection of heavier armours.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HellsEmbrace posted:

Someone literally programmed a bot to do exactly that with a Hill Orc Berserker, it ceded control to the player when it perceived itself in a threatening situation but otherwise just autoexplored and tabbed through the entire game. It ascended as a three-runer in about 32 minutes. Here's the character dump.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/parabolic/morgue-parabolic-20120930-030757.txt

So basically, you're exactly right.

Has anyone made a lua script that could actually win DCSS on its own? It's been a few years that these things have been around now.

I programmed one that got me to zot in ~40 minutes or so but it wasn't running entirely by itself, and I was massively underpowered and died on I think zot:2. Also, it was a FeBe ie cheat mode.

e: And talking about Crawl, my favorite thing to do was to make ridiculous berserker combinations. I had a HaBe of Chei that made two unsuccessful ziggurat runs with I think maxed out air magic. I ended up dying to reflect or something on a really late ziggurat level. I could at one time beat crawl pretty consistently, but I never did manage to clear a ziggurat.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 8, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The reason ADOM hasn't gotten the rest of the crowdfunded features in is that Thomas hasn't been working on it in quite a while. He had some family problems and apparently promising that ADOM Lite RPG book has become an albatross around his neck.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dis astranagant posted:

This was old old old data (I think it was collected in 0.4.something) but yeah, more deaths in Crawl occured before D:5 than anywhere else and the deadliest creature in the entire game was the lowly Hobgoblin. In fact, the entire game got progressively less challenging until about D:20 and associated branches, at which point there was a slight uptick in deathrate (but still less than early game.)

Anecdotally, this wasn't just new players either; if you looked at the scoreboards of really good Crawl players (again, at the time) their records would basically go "died on D:1, died in D:3, won with 3 runes, died on D:4, won with 15 runes," etc.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It makes perfect sense to me anyway, you have less options for dealing with dangerous monsters in the first few levels. The threats scale up as you dive but you have many more tools to escape or quickly kill something dangerous.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This was old old old data (I think it was collected in 0.4.something) but yeah, more deaths in Crawl occured before D:5 than anywhere else and the deadliest creature in the entire game was the lowly Hobgoblin. In fact, the entire game got progressively less challenging until about D:20 and associated branches, at which point there was a slight uptick in deathrate (but still less than early game.)

Anecdotally, this wasn't just new players either; if you looked at the scoreboards of really good Crawl players (again, at the time) their records would basically go "died on D:1, died in D:3, won with 3 runes, died on D:4, won with 15 runes," etc.

I know I play less cautiously in the upper dungeon unless I'm trying to go for a streak or something. You turn a corner on D:1 and there's a hobgoblin holding a glowing dagger, now that dagger probably isn't distortion or draining, but it might be. The right move would be to run away and either go to D:2 or just escape and clear the rest of the level. In practice though, who gives a poo poo, if it's a ohko brand you'll die and reroll instantly so just autoattack that fucker.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Essentially, the stealth system used to not care about your armor at all, so plate armor was always the best choice in every situation (barring a really great runic, but most runic armor still wasn't as good as plate).

Exactly. Plate armor had no downside so the optimum play was always: find plate armor, make sure it's not cursed, immediately drop 5 or more enchants on it and wear it forever.

Edit: I suppose I forgot to give actual helpful advice on enchants.
In a run you will find between 12 and 18 enchants.
I usually spend about 6 on weapons and armor. That means you never enchant non endgame equipment. Exceptions can be made if you have an excellently weighted runic obviously. Runics become more powerful on worse equipment faster, so you want to find runes on a spear usually but for some runes dagger or sword is best.

Light is probably the best ring because of late game, but I'm terrible at the game so I usually like to have a +4 regen ring instead.
Lightning seems great but what's really great is obstruction. I enchant firebolt to exactly 4, because when you need fire you really need fire and when you need no fire it's useless. Conjuration is also surprisingly cool.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 8, 2013

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Just a quick note that Desktop Dungeons is great. I played the beta a bunch and enjoyed it quite a bit, but got distracted by something shiny and hadn't even thought about it in months.

The final product that just came out on steam is pretty drat fantastic; they've added a lot of content to the game and spiffed up the art and streamlined some of the mechanics and it all just comes together really nicely. I played for a couple of hours tonight and had fun with it all over again.

The alpha is available for free on the desktop dungeons site and will give you a good taste of what the game mechanics are like if you're in doubt--just know that the full version adds quite a bit to the game on all fronts.

The only real :downs: I've seen so far is the lack of a "quit" button--apparently they're so used to it being a browser app they forgot to add one, so you have to just Alt-F4, or close the window. There's also what seems to be a missing font in one section of the menu/manual, but it doesn't really affect gameplay.

This is really an enjoyable game.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
In case anyone is interested, Angband just got a new maintainer, a guy who's done a lot of work on variants including one of the most popular FAAngband (first age angband). None of this will be happening right away since the current devs are still cleaning up the latest version for release (it will be 3.5, playable versions are in the nightlies), but if this happens it would be the biggest change that I can remember.

Oook member Nick posted:

The core idea is that I want a shorter, more eventful, more dangerous game. Here are some of the things I envisage happening:

Forced descent will be the default option. As a consequence, in a standard game there will be no more than 99 levels generated before you meet Morgoth.
The dungeon may be shortened.
Individual dungeon levels will be more interesting.
Some fights will be dangerous, and require the player to escape or die.
Some fights and/or traps will result in the player being effectively crippled, and needing to return to town to recover properly.
Ironman will be very hard to win.
The town will be primarily a place to recover rather than restock.
Every object will be useful to some character at some time; very few will be useful to any character all the time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Uncle Jam posted:

Recommended character choices are literally highlighted on the selection screen. Sorry it didn't work out though.
Though, all the things that work to getting to the temple in Crawl are pretty much universal strategy in all roguelikes.

They weren't back when I was playing, but again, I was playing the game the way I wanted it to be rather than the way it was intended. It's my fault :). And you're definitely right about Crawl strategies applying to other roguelikes, so I took something away from the experience.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DalaranJ posted:

Exactly. Plate armor had no downside ...

Never having worthwhile runics was a pretty big downside.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Angband has been a boring slog as long as long I've been playing roguelikes.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

TOOT BOOT posted:

Angband has been a boring slog as long as long I've been playing roguelikes.

Sil is what angband should have been.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

andrew smash posted:

That's what I was thinking, actually. Sounds like they're just reinventing the wheel with this new direction.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Desktop Dungeons can't be praised enough.
I've been in the beta for a long time but stopped playing at some point to experience the full product once it is done. It also has the potential to become the perfect tablet game, and since they do save syncing across platforms I don't feel like holding off as I did with FTL.

It's the most distilled resource management part of roguelikes there is.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

andrew smash posted:

Sil comes recommended among goons? I just read about it and it seems kind of neat. Could anyone give some beginner tips(I know I saw people discussing it a few pages ago)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It comes most highly recommended. Actually one of the best roguelikes out there, and certainly the best Angband variant; it just doesn't get much exposure. I can't reccomend any tips in particular that the manual and tutorial doesn't spell out, but treat it like Crawl - fighting is not the only strategy.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Sil exposure flares up at least briefly with each major release---been awhile since the last one but there's also been a major one cooking so the pendulum should swing the other way hopefully at some near point.

It would be a dream world for us all if both Sil and Frozen Depths(Come on End of 2014~) could get some serious momentum/visibility to foster at least a tad faster dev pace as each is very much part of the "Once every great while" club.

ExiledTinkerer fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 8, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

doctorfrog posted:

They weren't back when I was playing, but again, I was playing the game the way I wanted it to be rather than the way it was intended. It's my fault :). And you're definitely right about Crawl strategies applying to other roguelikes, so I took something away from the experience.

drat dude, you should try again then. I'm pretty sure that was implemented a long time ago even when Stone Soup was starting to wind up right after the fork. I've played since 4.1 and the game is much less brutal (but a lot more boring to be honest, especially lately with the constant removal of poo poo)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Uncle Jam posted:

drat dude, you should try again then. I'm pretty sure that was implemented a long time ago even when Stone Soup was starting to wind up right after the fork. I've played since 4.1 and the game is much less brutal (but a lot more boring to be honest, especially lately with the constant removal of poo poo)

I dunno I kind of like the direction it's gone, most of the stuff removed seems to be for good reason, and now there's a whole mess of new species to play with which are pretty fun to me, plus remakes of old branches. I'm not shedding any tears for blade traps.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Superschaf posted:

Desktop Dungeons can't be praised enough.
I've been in the beta for a long time but stopped playing at some point to experience the full product once it is done. It also has the potential to become the perfect tablet game, and since they do save syncing across platforms I don't feel like holding off as I did with FTL.

It's the most distilled resource management part of roguelikes there is.

Yup, I played beta to death and I still love the game. Seriously, if you want a good, light roguelike, you can't go wrong with Desktop Dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I was hoping to find a reason not to spend money on Desktop Dungeons here but it seems like this needs to be bought.