Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phobophilia posted:

And great, we just raised death flags over the entirety of the 104th. Isayama's getting a second go at killing Sasha.

Isayama wrote a character so charming even he couldn't kill them when he originally wanted to, he's steeled himself now though, so prepare for the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Anyone have a link for the Japanese original?

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
Wow, that was something else. I have mixed feelings about this chapter. It confirmed my suspicions about Connie's village and why the nape of the neck is a titan's weakness. I've been saying for a while now that the titans are humans but I didn't really want it confirmed. Levi is gonna take it so hard. And Connie. Poor Connie. What really confuses me is Erwin's reaction to the realization that titans are humans. Laughing? Makes me question his sanity a little.

Heartbreaking chapter at first, attempted to cheer me up in the second half, and then made me very concerned with the last page. All in all, good chapter. But, I'm gonna wait until the Crunchyroll version is up before I say anything else.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I wonder what the timeframe is with respect to the simulpub stuff hitting Crunchy.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Bisensual posted:

Wow, that was something else. I have mixed feelings about this chapter. It confirmed my suspicions about Connie's village and why the nape of the neck is a titan's weakness. I've been saying for a while now that the titans are humans but I didn't really want it confirmed. Levi is gonna take it so hard. And Connie. Poor Connie. What really confuses me is Erwin's reaction to the realization that titans are humans. Laughing? Makes me question his sanity a little.

I read that laugh as an "oh gently caress this poo poo" thing rather than, you know, actual mirth.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bisensual posted:

What really confuses me is Erwin's reaction to the realization that titans are humans. Laughing? Makes me question his sanity a little.

I think Erwin was having a momentary mental break down there. For all his time as Commander he's made ruthless decisions, sacrificing hundreds of men in hope of finding a way to get rid of the titans, and now he finds out the titans are themselves humans. Gotta gently caress with his worldview a bit.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Erwin also seems really out to eliminate the wall cult as a threat, and really wants to talk to Eren and Historia. I imagine he's got something going on in his head, but is suffering some serious PTSD right now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

You can really tell the characters of Levi and Erwin. I've said it before, Levi is cold and cynical, but underneath that he genuinely cares about others. Erwin on the other hand is utterly ruthless and is being consumed by guilt and barely concealed despair.

Those are things I like about them both. Levi's not just a silent badass, he's got something underneath that. Meanwhile, Erwin's a man who is willing to sacrifice anything to accomplish his goals, but that includes himself; he doesn't hide from danger when it comes for him and is willing to accept whatever consequences there are for what he believes needs to be done. He even acknowledged that losing an arm is getting off pretty lightly.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Captain Backslap posted:

I wonder what the timeframe is with respect to the simulpub stuff hitting Crunchy.
Isn't this from a Chinese leak? They probably can't publish it until it hits the stores in Japan.

I gotta say, assuming the translation at the end is accurate, Jean's come a long way. :3: The trainees all have a pretty good dynamic; even if Reiner, Annie, and Bert hadn't killed so many people they personally knew you can see why they'd feel so torn up about them being traitors.

Phobophilia posted:

Ah, we needed a breather to sit down and confirm alot of speculation. Considering the breakneck pace since where the anime ended, we absolutely needed it.

You can really tell the characters of Levi and Erwin. I've said it before, Levi is cold and cynical, but underneath that he genuinely cares about others. Erwin on the other hand is utterly ruthless and is being consumed by guilt and barely concealed despair.

And great, we just raised death flags over the entirety of the 104th. Isayama's getting a second go at killing Sasha.

Hell, even Hanji is more serious than usual, to say nothing of her face when she realized what she had done to Sawney and Bean.

I hope we get as few deaths as possible from here on out. Non-dead, non-titan characters from the 104th are a rare thing. :(

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
They're both going to make way for the new blood who'll see not-Japan into a future cleansed of political and religious corruption by the strength of a clear sighted and thinking military.

Given the author's apparent expressed views, I wish I could be fully joking. I am still hoping his views on Korea are just from ignorance thanks to the Japanese refusing to acknowledge wrongdoing, but there's a strong and lasting history of nationalism.

Edit: For context, this has apparantly started making the Tumblr rounds

For something a little more sourced and maybe level headed, also this.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 8, 2013

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Kokoro Wish posted:

They're both going to make way for the new blood who'll see not-Japan into a future cleansed of political and religious corruption by the strength of a clear sighted and thinking military.

Given the author's apparent expressed views, I wish I could be fully joking. I am still hoping his views on Korea are just from ignorance thanks to the Japanese refusing to acknowledge wrongdoing, but there's a strong and lasting history of nationalism.

What's he said about Korea?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically the characters have come a long, long way from Eren "I'm angry at everything", Mikasa "Eren is mai husbando" and Armin "I such". Well, except Mikasa, she's still a bit flat and needs her own character development, maybe once she's found out she's a perfected human-titan hybrid.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Surprised no one's mentioned how messed up it is that Levi openly admitted to picking the 104th for his squad in order to create a situation that would upset and potentially traumatize Eren, Armin even points out that there are still other better candidates for the position and he's always right about these things. Regardless of tactical merit that's pretty drat cold.

The most upsetting part of this chapter was Connie and Hange. :smith: No idea where the hell this is going to go for the next chapter/arc even and now I'm pretty scared thanks to all these death flags. I don't feel like Jean's character arc is over yet so I think he's safe but I'm not so sure about anyone else other than Mikasa. Connie and Sasha are most likely though I really don't want to admit it...

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Autumncomet posted:

Isn't this from a Chinese leak? They probably can't publish it until it hits the stores in Japan.

Sorry, I take back my last request. Should've realized this was a leak.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

yellowyams posted:

Surprised no one's mentioned how messed up it is that Levi openly admitted to picking the 104th for his squad in order to create a situation that would upset and potentially traumatize Eren, Armin even points out that there are still other better candidates for the position and he's always right about these things. Regardless of tactical merit that's pretty drat cold.

The most upsetting part of this chapter was Connie and Hange. :smith: No idea where the hell this is going to go for the next chapter/arc even and now I'm pretty scared thanks to all these death flags. I don't feel like Jean's character arc is over yet so I think he's safe but I'm not so sure about anyone else other than Mikasa. Connie and Sasha are most likely though I really don't want to admit it...

Armin still has a long way to go. We've seen just this chapter what can happen to a man who completely invests themselves in ruthlessness and I think Armin's arc is him having to learn that. I imagine there is going to be a situation in the future where he is utterly ruthless, and it blows up in his face, or someone else pays the price. If that hasn't happened already with his taunting of Berthold. I think you're right though, Connie and Sasha's arc could potentially be over at this point. Sasha was already supposed to be dead anyway. The only thing that could be left for Connie is to learn that Monkey Trouble is the one behind his village's transformation.

quote:

Basically the characters have come a long, long way from Eren "I'm angry at everything", Mikasa "Eren is mai husbando" and Armin "I such". Well, except Mikasa, she's still a bit flat and needs her own character development, maybe once she's found out she's a perfected human-titan hybrid.

Mikasa is still a bit one dimensional, but she's slowly moving like a glacier. Her inability to coup de grace Berthold and Reiner shows that even though she puts up a big talk of Eren and Armin being the only people that matter to her, she's letting in the other characters- even enemies. I think last chapter was also another moment where the glacier melted a bit. She basically puts on a big stoic act to everyone. With how well Mr. Isayama writes foreshadowing, call backs, and call forwards I think he's probably a competent enough writer to realize when a character he's working on is one dimensional. Her lack of flexibility is on purpose.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 8, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Edit: For context, this has apparantly started making the Tumblr rounds

For something a little more sourced and maybe level headed, also this.

Ugh. More fuel for the "is AoT fascist" argument, I guess.

It's often the case that finding out about an author's political/social/religious views can retroactively ruin their work for you, especially if it's connected to later fiction of inferior quality (Orson Scott Card being perhaps the most notorious example). Oddly, this seems to happen less often with Japanese writers than with American ones (perhaps because there's more pressure to seem "apolitical"?). Having said that, this is as good a time as any to mention that the Toriko author is a sex offender.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Considering I read Hajime no Ippo, I think I can live with a mangaka of something I read being a downright moron when it comes to their outlook on other countries. That being said, I haven't bought a volume of AoT or Hajime no Ippo, so that probably helps my apathy.

The Ender's Game example is the best example, since I've no interest in seeing the movie or buying the book and financially supporting the author in any way, shape or form.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm not really surprised after he threw in the name Mikasa and General Pixis that he might harbor blind nationalism. I'm no expert on Japan but I do know that as a country they do a lot of white-washing of their history with imperialism in China and Korea.

It's weird how there is a pretty clear divorce from his potential imperialist views where the wall of fear is more than a story metaphor for humanity's complacency, but is also a criticism of japanese culture's exclusiveness, and how they try to keep out other people.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's weird how there is a pretty clear divorce from his potential imperialist views where the wall of fear is more than a story metaphor for humanity's complacency, but is also a criticism of japanese culture's exclusiveness, and how they try to keep out other people.

Ah, human's compulsory pattern recognition strikes again.

You can interpret that into the story and make it sound valid, but honestly, it's more likely to be your own baggage rather than the creator's. Due to the nature of communication, what the author wants to say and what the audience receives are entirely separate.

If the exact same story was written by a German author (you wouldn't even have to change the names :v: ) you would take the wall scenario as an obvious nod to the DDR wall and its fall, building off the West German's fear and hatred of the East German's culture invading and sabotaging their own, or vice versa.
Or maybe ignore the obvious parallel in favor of a more generalized fear of globalization threatening their language, with English recently invading and taking over their own proud cultural heritage.

/e: Thanks to browsing Wikipedia a little more, i now know that they have a list of German band names translated into English for some reason :allears:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 8, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!
The only overtly political discussion in the manga has been an argument that you need to change the system rather than expect individuals to act morally and then be outraged when they follow structural incentives. That's not a fascist argument.

Japan is infamously lovely when it comes to nationalism, though, and the politics of the region make WW2 into a diplomatic football rather than something that can be acknowledged and moved past.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im not sure I got more stupid or the translation in mangareader is just terrible, because half of the dialogues in the last issue dont seems to make any sense to me.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im not sure I got more stupid or the translation in mangareader is just terrible, because half of the dialogues in the last issue dont seems to make any sense to me.

I'm pretty sure its a japan -> chinese -> english translation

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
I think the translation made me stupider for having read it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Gunswords? Why not.

Reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus for some reason.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kild posted:

I'm pretty sure its a japan -> chinese -> english translation

That explains a lot.

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
If titans used to be people, does that means the titans that look like babies were actually babies? :smith:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Seriously Safe posted:

If titans used to be people, does that means the titans that look like babies were actually babies? :smith:

And what happened to all the women titans? Why are they only like, 5-10% of the total titan population?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And what happened to all the women titans? Why are they only like, 5-10% of the total titan population?
I wonder about that. At first I thought it was a prisoner population but Connie's village should have been 50/50 yet the titans inside wall rose were mostly if not all the 'male' type.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Ymir's Titan form does not look feminine at all, remember that. I think it means that feminine Titan forms like Annie's are a rarity, and the rest look masculine or monstrous like Ymir's.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Ymir's Titan form does not look feminine at all, remember that. I think it means that feminine Titan forms like Annie's are a rarity, and the rest look masculine or monstrous like Ymir's.

Reiner, Annie, and Bert's titan forms are all rather custom. Perhaps Annie just wanted something more feminine?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I dunno, I've definitely seen a few female (normal, non-shifter) titans. But they don't have any breasts so all you have to go by is the face.
For example, the one in the bottom-left panel of this page:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Maybe they're giant fetuses made from stem cells? So no defining characteristics yet.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Going with the theory that the titans where once some kind of weapon, I wonder if the troublesome trio's titans forms are actually what titan are supposed to look like and that what was weaponized was actually the transformation itself.

i.e at some point titans where some kind of tool, customized for each user for whatever purpose they needed it for. Then someone comes up with a way to forcibly transform people and then control them. That could be the reason why the feral titans are so random in appearance and capabilities. Ymir's monstrous appearance could be an extension of this, we know that she got her powers from the same place as the other three, but her first transformation may have been uncontrolled or missing some step, resulting in her 60 years as a feral titan.

There's probably some holes in this theory since we still know so little for certain about the Warriors.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not to mention about age of the Titans, some of them look adult but are just small. So there's probably some random deviation anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, the foreshadowing may be ominous as hell, but it was good to see Sasha back to her old self for a little bit. :3:

Also, FYI, Crunchyroll's version of the latest chapter is now up.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Seriously Safe posted:

My speculation has been that the abnormal titans have all been infants or very young toddlers. But my opinion is tainted by how they've been depicted in the anime.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It's kind of weird for Jean to be calling Mikasa "your favorite little girl." Is that just an awkward translation or is he really being that sickeningly cute and failing in the original?

I have a feeling that Anka, the lady that's Pixis' aide, might be showing up again in the future. It was nice seeing Rico again at least. :3:

yellowyams posted:

Just didn't want to admit it. :smith:

Jean and Sasha are fantastic though and that means one of them is going to die.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

It's kind of weird for Jean to be calling Mikasa "your favorite little girl." Is that just an awkward translation or is he really being that sickeningly cute and failing in the original?

In the raw spoiler pic I saw before the chinese scans went up he says "your beloved Mikasa-chan". They probably wanted to avoid honorifics but still keep the cutesy aspect, the phrasing was kinda creepy though. I'd be interested to hear if there are any noticeable differences between crunchyroll and the other translations floating around (other than quality, I mean).

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 9, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, the foreshadowing may be ominous as hell, but it was good to see Sasha back to her old self for a little bit. :3:

Yearly all access pass fee vindicated again!

Happy fun times with all the gang together? An environment where Eren will become desperate? Oh god. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I think most titans are sufficiently sexless that it's hard to tell WHAT they were in their previous lives, 5-10% are noticeably female but a lot more probably were originally