Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

MMAgCh posted:

Yeah, I had to engage in quite a bit of fiddling to get my AC saves to work—the conversion tool someone posted on the Steam discussion hub didn't work, nor did the instructions for manually hex-editing the files. (Or rather, I had to use the instructions for AA, for some reason.)

So to be clear you hex-edited the file with the instructions given for Asylum and it worked fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PoshAlligator posted:

So to be clear you hex-edited the file with the instructions given for Asylum and it worked fine?
Yes. I deleted everything before the first 00 00 00 03 00 string and that did the job.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So I just managed to make my way up to the very top of the Soder Cola building for that datapack (why the gently caress did they not make the challenges free-form and completable in any order), and out of nowhere local surveillance picked up someone just flat out shouting "NICE!" when I landed on the platform. That was actually pretty cool.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

MMAgCh posted:

Yes. I deleted everything before the first 00 00 00 03 00 string and that did the job.

The program (as in, City) always locks up for me after pressing start after doing the hexing.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Just heard a prisoner talking about how Captain Boomerang was hunting him down, which makes me feel considerably better about the Suicide Squad game prospect...

Is there an trick to reliably and successfully doing the wall/pressure plate bounce that a lot of the gliding-based datapacks require? Those are driving me crazy this time around.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PoshAlligator posted:

The program (as in, City) always locks up for me after pressing start after doing the hexing.
After editing the save, you're not accidentally saving it in some other file format? Did you create new, blank saves for every slot you want to use and overwrite them with the edited files? You might also want to turn off cloud synchronisation, as I've heard that this can mess with things as well.

I don't know what to tell you otherwise—AC spent a lot of time crashing on trying to read my edited saves as well until I managed to delete the correct bit of the files as mentioned earlier. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Thranguy posted:

Is there an trick to reliably and successfully doing the wall/pressure plate bounce that a lot of the gliding-based datapacks require? Those are driving me crazy this time around.

What do you mean? If you fly into a wall Batman will do like a crouch animation and you can press the glide/dodge button again to jump off and glide in the other direction.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

MMAgCh posted:

After editing the save, you're not accidentally saving it in some other file format? Did you create new, blank saves for every slot you want to use and overwrite them with the edited files? You might also want to turn off cloud synchronisation, as I've heard that this can mess with things as well.

I don't know what to tell you otherwise—AC spent a lot of time crashing on trying to read my edited saves as well until I managed to delete the correct bit of the files as mentioned earlier. :(

It seems "farrallth-save0" reappears every time on startup. Possibly a cloud thing I guess.

e:
Even without that it still just locks up every time. Weird.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 7, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm in Wonderland and what an immense pile of buggy poo poo this is.

The Hatter wall you're supposed to use Gel on didn't work the first two god drat times. The third time it did! I placed the Gel in the same spot all three times. I had to look up a video guide to make sure it was what I was supposed to do.

And then I had to use the zipline, a skill you've never had to use before and, for me, got no on-screen prompt. The video guide had a prompt! But whatever. I zipline over, smash through the card, and then I had the nerve to try running toward the camera, thinking something might be hidden there! And then I die to the pendulum.

...And when I respawned one segment of the card bridge that had been knocked away on my last life hadn't fixed itself. Meaning I can no longer advance in the loving game. Will quitting out of the game and reloading from the main menu fix this poo poo? Because dying certainly doesn't.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

RatHat posted:

What do you mean? If you fly into a wall Batman will do like a crouch animation and you can press the glide/dodge button again to jump off and glide in the other direction.

Getting him to do that on the pressume plate targets seems to only happen once every dozen or so attempts for me, if that often. So the datapacks that make you do two in a row just aren't happening for me...

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PoshAlligator posted:

It seems "farrallth-save0" reappears every time on startup. Possibly a cloud thing I guess.
Sounds like the cloud is messing with you, yeah. For the Steam version at least I don't think saves are even supposed to be named like that, just plain saveX.sgd (at least they are for me).

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

MMAgCh posted:

Sounds like the cloud is messing with you, yeah. For the Steam version at least I don't think saves are even supposed to be named like that, just plain saveX.sgd (at least they are for me).

From what I understand it's the GFWL naming convention. I just don't get it.

It's annoying as I'd been gunning for 100% challenges and was quite close.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Thranguy posted:

Getting him to do that on the pressume plate targets seems to only happen once every dozen or so attempts for me, if that often. So the datapacks that make you do two in a row just aren't happening for me...

Are you letting go of the glide button before you hit the wall? If not I'm sure why that's happening to you.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PoshAlligator posted:

From what I understand it's the GFWL naming convention. I just don't get it.

It's annoying as I'd been gunning for 100% challenges and was quite close.
Yeah, GfWL saves are prefixed with your GfWL user name (in some cases, at least, because mine weren't—how come? Because GfWL is dumb, I guess), but the Steam ones shouldn't be, or aren't for me at least.

Wish I know what's wrong in your case; I'd be pretty pissed if my saves couldn't be salvaged, given how much time I spent on that AC.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

MMAgCh posted:

Yeah, GfWL saves are prefixed with your GfWL user name (in some cases, at least, because mine weren't—how come? Because GfWL is dumb, I guess), but the Steam ones shouldn't be, or aren't for me at least.

Wish I know what's wrong in your case; I'd be pretty pissed if my saves couldn't be salvaged, given how much time I spent on that AC.

Problem solved!

If anyone is having the same issues, there can be multiple "00 00 00 03 00" strings. For some reason I thought it was just the first, but apparently it won't work unless you delete from the furtherest one you can find.

But I'm not as far with the challenges as I remembered. Completion of 95%.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PoshAlligator posted:

Problem solved!

If anyone is having the same issues, there can be multiple "00 00 00 03 00" strings. For some reason I thought it was just the first, but apparently it won't work unless you delete from the furtherest one you can find.

But I'm not as far with the challenges as I remembered. Completion of 95%.
In my case it was the first string in all four files, but this just goes to show how fiddly hex–editing can be. :shobon:

95% is quite close indeed! Those remaining 5% wouldn't daunt Batman. :colbert: And in an attempt to steer the thread back on topic, I wonder if I can ever be arsed to 100% Origins? Not until they patch the hell out of it, and even then...I don't know. Somehow this game just doesn't engender the same kind of enthusiasm Asylum/City did, and that honestly does make me sad. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MMAgCh posted:

I wonder if I can ever be arsed to 100% Origins? Not until they patch the hell out of it, and even then...I don't know. Somehow this game just doesn't engender the same kind of enthusiasm Asylum/City did, and that honestly does make me sad. :(

Yeah, I really only need to do the Challenges and I'm just not feeling it in the same way I did with City (I did all challenge for Batman, Catwoman, Nightwing and Robin :shepface:) - maybe I'll slowly work my way through it a bit at a time while I replay City to pick up those story achievements that didn't transfer over with my save.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Meh. I never played much of the challenge maps in Asylum or City so I consider the Batcave and linking the challenge maps to attainable XP in the story mode to be a big improvement in Origins. It gives me a reason to actually do the maps for something other than their own sake. I want to see what they do with the Initiation maps whenever those get released.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
The large quantity of snipers that hang around after you beat the game make tooling around at end game much less entertaining and much more frustrating then in Arkham city.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Meh. I never played much of the challenge maps in Asylum or City so I consider the Batcave and linking the challenge maps to attainable XP in the story mode to be a big improvement in Origins. It gives me a reason to actually do the maps for something other than their own sake. I want to see what they do with the Initiation maps whenever those get released.

I already hit max level before finishing the game. The only maps I did was the training ones.

I spent about two hours in MP this afternoon and enjoyed it. Managed a win as Robin. I really like the idea of the game, but having to wait for a full lobby, not being able to change your loadout in the lobby and the difficulty of achieving a win as the heroes against even a halfway competent team of elites vs how easy it is for either crew to win needs some fixing.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

TheGreySpectre posted:

The large quantity of snipers that hang around after you beat the game make tooling around at end game much less entertaining and much more frustrating then in Arkham city.

Arkham City had this issue too. Its possible there are more overall or areas of higher concentration, but after checking briefly (at least some of) the sniper set ups are nearly identical to their counterparts (the Bowery for example).

Not that it isn't annoying. The only reason I even went back to check was because of that being one of the few unfun things I remembered from AC.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

By contrast, Asylum had one enemy in the post game which made it a rather big slog to get everything after.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
One thing Origins does with snipers that City was very careful to never do was have two snipers facing each other, guaranteeing you'll be sighted. Origins has this arrangement as part of a larger setting that lets you get hit by 4 snipers and 3 gun-toting goons in the same location. the facing snipers technically cycle through facing different directions, but the window is about ten seconds, which is absurd.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
This will be my last Riddler post, I promise.

Why they didn't make him an ex-investment banker I will never know. It's almost too perfect- while banks and the financial system around him is crashing to ruins, he's still making billions for rich people and getting vilified for it! So he thinks, hang on a minute, these assholes don't know what's good for them, clearly I need to be spending vast amounts of money and using my skills to secure control of drat near everything.

Basically the opposite to Nolan's Bane, he'd be the embodiment of a scorned gently caress you got mine type.

The whole anti-fraud computer forensic thing didn't really do much to explain any motives beyond his massive narcissism. I really think he's a wasted villain, just there to be the local crazy man who scatters shinies everywhere.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jerusalem posted:

Arkham City looks fantastic and it plays like a dream now, but I do recall when it first came out that there were huge problems playing with DX11 (or was it DX10 back then?) for a lot of people, including myself, and it needed to be played in DX9 mode with a lot of the cooler PhysX stuff turned off to get a playable framerate.

It certainly wasn't as buggy as Origins, though - I've been one of the lucky ones in terms of encountering no game-breaking bugs (or being able to work around stuff like Burnley Tower or the final boss cutscene skipping) but I have encountered quite a few instances of a person not being where they were supposed to be on the map, interrogations not always being available when they should, etc.

I finished New Game+ yesterday and now I really only have I Am The Night and the challenge maps left to finish - I'm having a real problem getting the Alfred's Wisdom achievement though, I went back to the Batcave at every opportunity during the story to talk to him and have jumped in and out post-game to chat with him, and if I hear,"That Vicki Vale is quite the troublemaker...." again I think I'll scream.

At least the Shiva achievement wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, those invincibility frames you get by dodging over the head of enemies came in hugely handy (same deal with the Bane fight).
You might have to just jump back and forth post game. There are a few post game chats. Surprisingly you don't need to finish Engima's sidequest at all though I think you need to trigger all the sidequests. When Alfred starts talking about the huge bat there's maybe 3 or 4 left, the final one if you care he tells Bruce that the huge bat in the cave took off with their Christmas ham and ate it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sober posted:

You might have to just jump back and forth post game. There are a few post game chats. Surprisingly you don't need to finish Engima's sidequest at all though I think you need to trigger all the sidequests. When Alfred starts talking about the huge bat there's maybe 3 or 4 left, the final one if you care he tells Bruce that the huge bat in the cave took off with their Christmas ham and ate it.

What!?! I was looking forward to finally getting to eat that ham after Alfred spent all night talking about it! :argh:

Is it purely my imagination, or are these some dialog adjustments in New Game+? In my first playthrough when Alfred contacts Batman at midnight to wish him Merry Christmas, I was sure that Batman doesn't bother responding. On New Game+, he says a quiet,"You too," in response. Did I just miss it the first time around?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

What!?! I was looking forward to finally getting to eat that ham after Alfred spent all night talking about it! :argh:

Is it purely my imagination, or are these some dialog adjustments in New Game+? In my first playthrough when Alfred contacts Batman at midnight to wish him Merry Christmas, I was sure that Batman doesn't bother responding. On New Game+, he says a quiet,"You too," in response. Did I just miss it the first time around?
You might've missed it, that's all. I got Alfred's Wisdom pre NG+ as well.

Also my game is trippy as gently caress with audio and will cut out tracks like nothing. Well, it's mostly just sidequest stuff like "Alfred, contact GCPD because I am the only one doing their job tonight" after you finish a step in something anyway.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Jerusalem posted:

Yes. On ym first playthrough he said it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sober posted:

Is the giant bat maybe a reference to Man-bat?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes. On ym first playthrough he said it.

drat, I was hoping by I Am The Night he'd respond with,"You too.... dad :unsmith:"

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Let's see if this works...
Here is a copy of my save. I haven't started New Game+ at all yet. I have collected all of the data packs, scanned all of the Anarky tags, scanned all of the Pinkney pages, received all of Alfred's droll wisdom, and completed three of the four Dark Knight challenge trees. The only challenges left to complete are to take out three enemies with one propane tank and to pull two enemies over ledges.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2IaU_cxgpEjbDk5UkhxZlBzZTg/edit?usp=drive_web

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
WE'RE MAD. MAD ABOUT CRIMS AND CRIM-DOERS.

Good god Dark Knight of the Round Table is so goofy looking

Actually managed to win a game as Robin with a fellow goon; turns out the key is to play on the Carnival level and always keep the thug teams spread out and focused on each other.

Also scramble points at every opportunity to buy you enough time to Zip-kick the poo poo out of lone goons like it ain't no thang.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That's how I won the hero match I played. Enemy elites wouldn't stay near other for anything. Waited until it looked like one spotted someone from the enemy team and took them out while they were stalking.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Scyantific posted:

So I just managed to make my way up to the very top of the Soder Cola building for that datapack (why the gently caress did they not make the challenges free-form and completable in any order), and out of nowhere local surveillance picked up someone just flat out shouting "NICE!" when I landed on the platform. That was actually pretty cool.

Wait, you mean you can't do the Riddler stuff after the game is over? What about defusing Anarky's bombs or going after the Mad Hatter? I haven't even bothered with those yet since I want to do the story first.

Another question, is there a master WBID I should sign into to unlock stuff?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, you mean you can't do the Riddler stuff after the game is over? What about defusing Anarky's bombs or going after the Mad Hatter? I haven't even bothered with those yet since I want to do the story first.

You can do everything after the game ends.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Is it just me or is there quite a bit of jank in predator rooms with the remote claw? Like point blank/clear LOS shots with extinguisher/propane not wanting to register or if you make a rope from gargoyle to gargoyle they didn't seem to take into account not being able to fully cross it. I even bugged out, if I stepped off a gargoyle onto a rope it would teleport me to a previous tightrope and then drop me.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I was fighting Bane, he checked me into the wall... annnd Bats promptly slipped through it, fell through the world, fell through the ocean, down down into the nothingness.

"Direction+AA to dodge!" And if double-tapping A registered more than 'when it feels like,' maybe this fight wouldn't be such a pain in the rear end. It happens constantly during grappling, too. Sometimes it'll reel you in fast, sometimes it'll just decide not to. Doesn't matter how far you are. If it doesn't want to register the double-tap, it won't. So many deaths down to the loving dodge either not registering or dodging in the direction opposite the way I'm holding.

Fights in this game just aren't balanced at all. They're either a frustrating slog (Deathstroke, Bane) or pitifully easy (Copperhead). There's no middle ground.

E: Maybe if there weren't minions Gumby-sliding halfway across the map to make sure my B->X beatdown wasn't interrupted, I could get something done here!

E: Oh god this is worse than loving Deathstroke. You cannot dodge every single charge. It is literally impossible. He recovers faster than you, you can't do the dodge-flip over him, so it's not a matter of waiting for the right moment. And even if you did that, the game likes to send you sailing in directions you weren't loving holding during fights, so it probably wouldn't work anyway! Yes, game, I was to sail across a giant arena to punch the guy getting up instead of Bane, who is a foot in front of me. Thanks!

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 8, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can.

They are referring to those three categories of challenges (basically misc, combat, and predator) where you'll get xp or occasionally abilities for completing a challenge along the lines of "counter five enemies in the same combo". They had them in AC too, but the annoyance here is that (unlike in AC) even if you've done something three times before (ie reach the top of the Soder Cola building) you only get "credit" for it after you've completed the preceding challenges in that tier.

The only one you really have to keep on top of are those predator ones since there are only so many encounters in the game (so if you forget, you wont be able to complete the tier until ng+). Doesn't really lock you out of anything though, but still a really bad design choice when AC did it perfectly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

E: Oh god this is worse than loving Deathstroke. You cannot dodge every single charge. It is literally impossible. He recovers faster than you, you can't do the dodge-flip over him, so it's not a matter of waiting for the right moment. And even if you did that, the game likes to send you sailing in directions you weren't loving holding during fights, so it probably wouldn't work anyway! Yes, game, I was to sail across a giant arena to punch the guy getting up instead of Bane, who is a foot in front of me. Thanks!

It isn't literally impossible because I've done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
So I was just starting New Game+ and took a look at the visitor sign-in sheet in Blackgate:

Somebody's been busy...

• Locked thread