Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Sounds like some of your virtual directories need their authentication method changing. If you get the login prompt, most likely a folder is set to Basic auth instead of NTLM.

yes this was exactly it and that is what fixed it.

now everything working except for BES (of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syg
Mar 9, 2012
Anyone experienced with Exchange Online who can tell me exactly how In-Place Hold works? I know Litigation Hold just puts that users mailbox on hold until its turned off, so any mail can be recovered. What I want to do is do that but for 365 days and to all my users. I've turned on In-Place Hold for all users and instead of setting "search terms" I've set it to hold all email. This looks good on paper but it isn't clear that the 365 days I set is rotating. For example in 1 year time if someone needs something, will that hold I placed be 365 days history from current day, or from the day I created the hold?

Also there doesn't seem to be a way to search content that has been placed on hold, since the hold itself is a kind of search. Its so drat convoluted, I just want email history for 1 year for all users so when they delete something and it expires from their recovered deleted items I can still get it for them.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Here are my lessons learned from Exchange 2013

- Make everyone (outlook 2007/2010) use rpc/https with ntlm auth
- Don't do a bes but if you have to, follow their instructions IN ORDER (like the CDO install and the permissions and whatever). We did everything right but had to re-do it in the correct order for BES to work.

As far as Exchange upgrades go this one really wasn't all that painful.

Open item: when a user forwards a calendar appointment that originated with an external address, they get error saying they don't have permission to send on behalf. Apparently a known issue.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So, I have my second Exchange 2010 server installed. Different host name, in my DR site.

I've read that I don't need send connectors because E2010 is site based so they should pass email back and forth.

So now I'm just a bit overwhelmed as to wha tI need to do. I guess my first order of buisiness should be to get a new cert with SAN of the new machine name, the Activesync/webmail address, AND the old host name? And I can run that alongside the current one, correct?

If anyone has a link to a good guide, i'd GREATLY appreciate it, and any help/pointers/caveats to look out for.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
What is your end goal in this scenario?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Syano posted:

What is your end goal in this scenario?

To slowly begin to migrate our mailboxes over to the new machine and decomission the old one.

The problem I can't seem to wrap my head around is how I maintain the two servers at the same time and keep activesync/OWA going.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Here is a nice writeup I have in my favorites about a 2007 to 2010 migration. It should roughly apply to what you are trying to do http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000236.htm

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If I add the hostname of my second server to the SAN on my certificate, do I have to do anything like revoke and reissue the new cert?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I didn't think that was possible without invalidating the original certificate in the first place.

I usually get my new shiny certificate, and then remove/re-add it on all Exchange servers before proceeding further.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

I didn't think that was possible without invalidating the original certificate in the first place.

I usually get my new shiny certificate, and then remove/re-add it on all Exchange servers before proceeding further.

Weird, the support guy at the cert authority who i talked to this morning said I shouldn't have to replace the cert.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
The authority may allow you to request a new name without charging for a new request, but you are still going to have to generate a new request with all names wanted and they are still going to have to generate a new cert

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That doesn't necessarily invalidate the old cert. Digicert, for instance, lets you do unlimited reissues and only invalidates by explicit choice.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

It's a terrible loving idea to set up an Exchange server for myself to run my personal email, right?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If you use the knowledge to apply to your day to day deployment and managing of a production exchange instance, sure. The allure of being able to bang about a live demo exchange environment has its benefits. However, if it's for you and you alone and you have a spare mac laying around, OS X Mail looks to be a simpler operation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What connection are you planning to run it on? I wouldn't want to host anything on a residential broadband line.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

movax posted:

It's a terrible loving idea to set up an Exchange server for myself to run my personal email, right?

I mean just from a cost perspective it's a horrible idea

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'd assume he has MSDN licensing for it... Right?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Pretty bad idea, and I'm a guy who loves his MS Exchange. Just go with Rackspace or something.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

KS posted:

That doesn't necessarily invalidate the old cert. Digicert, for instance, lets you do unlimited reissues and only invalidates by explicit choice.

It requires a new certificate request for a reissue though correct>?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think TechNet/MSDN gives you a license for that, right? (have to double-check)

I'd be running it on a co-located box, 100Mbit connection. Sounds like it's a lot of work though, and I've never tried admining one before. I just miss my push email from Google Apps :(

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

I just miss my push email from Google Apps :(
It never went away?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

nexxai posted:

It never went away?

For personal accounts + new device pairings after earlier this year, you don't get push mail anymore. So if I want to ever upgrade my iPhone, I have to use IMAP/fetch like some kind of peasant.

(unless iCloud backups preserve the ActiveSync pairing)

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

For personal accounts + new device pairings after earlier this year, you don't get push mail anymore. So if I want to ever upgrade my iPhone, I have to use IMAP/fetch like some kind of peasant.

(unless iCloud backups preserve the ActiveSync pairing)
It only doesn't work for newly-created accounts - I bought the iPhone 5s (a month ago) and push still works fine on it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I think push works but not activesync

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

movax posted:

I think TechNet/MSDN gives you a license for that, right? (have to double-check)

I'd be running it on a co-located box, 100Mbit connection. Sounds like it's a lot of work though, and I've never tried admining one before. I just miss my push email from Google Apps :(

idk about msdn. If you get a license and you already have the hardware then cool.

Setting it up is honestly like an 1-2 day job start to finish including building the vm. The hardest part, the part that takes time, is migrating existing data. Administration will be minimal imho if it's just for you/your family.

what are you going to use for spam filtering? Idk anything about the built in "forefront lite" exchange 13 comes with.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

nexxai posted:

It only doesn't work for newly-created accounts - I bought the iPhone 5s (a month ago) and push still works fine on it.

Hm, I tried setting up my existing personal Google Apps account on my new iPad as an Exchange account and it doesn't seem to work :(

idk about msdn. If you get a license and you already have the hardware then cool.

Setting it up is honestly like an 1-2 day job start to finish including building the vm. The hardest part, the part that takes time, is migrating existing data. Administration will be minimal imho if it's just for you/your family.

what are you going to use for spam filtering? Idk anything about the built in "forefront lite" exchange 13 comes with.

:downs: Forgot about the spam filtering part. I think I'll just leave this beast alone for now...

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

Hm, I tried setting up my existing personal Google Apps account on my new iPad as an Exchange account and it doesn't seem to work :(
That's very odd because I have push working on my new phone. Email, calendars and contacts are all synced and working instantaneously. I'm not sure why yours isn't. Sorry dude. :(

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

nexxai posted:

That's very odd because I have push working on my new phone. Email, calendars and contacts are all synced and working instantaneously. I'm not sure why yours isn't. Sorry dude. :(

when my wife got her 5s she couldn't add Exchange, we had to do carddav/caldav and then "gmail" for email.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

when my wife got her 5s she couldn't add Exchange, we had to do carddav/caldav and then "gmail" for email.
Had she used the Exchange method on her previous phone? Because the way I understood it is that if your account had EVER been used via the Exchange method, that would persist forever, but anyone who hadn't activated it once before the cutoff date would be stuck using the CardDAV/CalDAV method.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

nexxai posted:

Had she used the Exchange method on her previous phone? Because the way I understood it is that if your account had EVER been used via the Exchange method, that would persist forever, but anyone who hadn't activated it once before the cutoff date would be stuck using the CardDAV/CalDAV method.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, and I've been using Exchange for all my Gmail/Google Apps stuff in one way or another since around 2008 or so. Guess I'm SOL unless I pay Goog some :10bux:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I switched iPhones and ActiveSync stopped working so I'm not so sure that you get to keep it if you used it.

iOS 7 also added Calendars and Contacts syncing to a Google account so you don't need to setup CalDAV/CardDAV. I have Google set to fetch every hour or so and the Gmail app installed to actually use for email.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Caged posted:

I switched iPhones and ActiveSync stopped working so I'm not so sure that you get to keep it if you used it.

iOS 7 also added Calendars and Contacts syncing to a Google account so you don't need to setup CalDAV/CardDAV. I have Google set to fetch every hour or so and the Gmail app installed to actually use for email.
That's very weird. I took some screenshots of my phone just now showing that it's using the Exchange connection type and that it's the iPhone 5s (Model ME299C/A = 5s). I don't understand why mine works and the two of yours won't. I'm starting to worry that mine is only active by mistake and - as in Office Space - they're just gonna fix the glitch.

http://imgur.com/a/b6POb

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Ok, I think I just had my first case of Exchange transport oddness.

Exchange 2010 SP2. All services/roles on a single server. VMWare. 490 mailboxes, 8GB RAM, 4 vCPUs.

Something's going on where the Transport Service will "Time out" when the connecting server gives HELO or EHLO.

I tried telneting over port 25 and sending an e-mail manually. Sure enough, I say "EHLO contoso.com" or "HELO contoso.com" and the server instantly kicks me out and claims that there's a timeout. Doesn't matter how fast or slow I EHLO or HELO.

Restart the Transport Service, and everything is well. Then 48 hours later it happened again.

The server itself is probably in dire need of a reboot anyway, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this behavior previously.

:edit: Ah, gently caress. My server is severely underpowered/oversubscribed, isn't it? :doh:

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 9, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

movax posted:

Just pay like $4 and get hosted Exchange

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Lord Dudeguy posted:

:edit: Ah, gently caress. My server is severely underpowered/oversubscribed, isn't it? :doh:

More than likely, but it depends on the profile of your users. Definitely sends up red flags at those numbers though.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Beaten on this but it is highly dependent on what the mailbox of those 490 users looks like. I host 415 mailboxes on almost an identical setup (actually 2 less vcpus) and have zero issue. Whats your underlying storage? Also, are you sending to a smarthost or are you routing mail via DNS?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Syano posted:

Beaten on this but it is highly dependent on what the mailbox of those 490 users looks like. I host 415 mailboxes on almost an identical setup (actually 2 less vcpus) and have zero issue. Whats your underlying storage? Also, are you sending to a smarthost or are you routing mail via DNS?

200GB sitting on a SAN, but it's not dedicated raw SAN storage, it's part of the VHDK on its own dedicated datastore.

We're sending to a smarthost, but receiving from multiple sources.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Lord Dudeguy posted:

200GB sitting on a SAN, but it's not dedicated raw SAN storage, it's part of the VHDK on its own dedicated datastore.

We're sending to a smarthost, but receiving from multiple sources.

Create a temporary send connector that routes via DNS instead of smarthost and have it send your mail for a while and see if it still happens. If that fixes it, make sure you havent had any public IP changes recently that you havent updated with your smarthost. Make sure you arent doing in wan load balancing. Stuff like that

Syano fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 9, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Ok, I think I just had my first case of Exchange transport oddness.

Exchange 2010 SP2. All services/roles on a single server. VMWare. 490 mailboxes, 8GB RAM, 4 vCPUs.

Something's going on where the Transport Service will "Time out" when the connecting server gives HELO or EHLO.

I tried telneting over port 25 and sending an e-mail manually. Sure enough, I say "EHLO contoso.com" or "HELO contoso.com" and the server instantly kicks me out and claims that there's a timeout. Doesn't matter how fast or slow I EHLO or HELO.

Restart the Transport Service, and everything is well. Then 48 hours later it happened again.

The server itself is probably in dire need of a reboot anyway, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this behavior previously.

Add more RAM. Do you have that server doing anything else or just Exchange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I am having some issues trying to get Voicemail Preview working on Exchange 2013.

We have recently got an Avaya IP Office system and I have managed to get the systems to talk to each other enough that you get the voicemail playback controls within the email, but I cannot get a text transcript to appear. Is there something obvious that I am missing?