Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I will probably take flak for it, but ORC was a amazing concept that was ruined by horrible execution. One of the best weapons in the game was the Samurai Edge pistol. Forget all that other crap, just roll with the pistol.

That and the classes were imbalanced as poo poo. The soldier and medic were miles better than the other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ORC is a pretty good concept, they just flubbed the hell out of it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Just beat Revelations and... disappointed. I have no idea where the RE games are going anymore because it isn't anywhere exciting. Chris and Jill were so stale throughout and I could have cared less for the story. It feels so distant from what made the originals interesting.

As for the end, you see Chris and Jill going into a mansion... What the hell does that mean? RE remake dlc or something?

Also does no one play raid mode on pc?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

Just beat Revelations...

As for the end, you see Chris and Jill going into a mansion... What the hell does that mean? RE remake dlc or something?

It's the mansion from the flashback sequence in RE5. Rev takes place between 4 and 5.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, I was cautiously psyched for ORC when they announced the concept. It's an awesome idea for a game. But man, the execution.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

I will probably take flak for it, but ORC was a amazing concept that was ruined by horrible execution. One of the best weapons in the game was the Samurai Edge pistol. Forget all that other crap, just roll with the pistol.

That and the classes were imbalanced as poo poo. The soldier and medic were miles better than the other ones.

The chemist girl/dude where also really good, being able to turn hunters and the tyrant to my side for awhile was awesome. They're also great for the campaign since they can activate some weird vision thing and basically have auto-aim on the weakness of enemies, made the hunter/tyrant fights a lot more bearable.

quote:

Are you posting with a head injury?

RE4 was a terribly mediocre action game, with time its aged about as well as milk, at least ORC didn't pretend to be anything different, it was Socom RE edition and I was just fine with that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

GoldenNugget posted:

Just beat Revelations and... disappointed. I have no idea where the RE games are going anymore because it isn't anywhere exciting. Chris and Jill were so stale throughout and I could have cared less for the story. It feels so distant from what made the originals interesting.

Also does no one play raid mode on pc?

I was the opposite. But im a weirdo that like Resident Evil 5 and dislikes RE 6. I thought Revelations was great at mixing old style horror with the new more combat heavy style.

But let's not forget that it was a 3ds game first and foremost which makes it mind boggling why they charged $50 for it.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Alteisen posted:

RE4 was a terribly mediocre action game, with time its aged about as well as milk, at least ORC didn't pretend to be anything different, it was Socom RE edition and I was just fine with that.

You and I could never be friends. I might have to shiv you in person.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 2, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Seriously I'm not sure if that statement was a bigger slight against RE4 or the Socom series. :psyduck:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alteisen posted:

RE4 had a giant Spanish Napoleon robot. And suplexing. And an actual ending.

ORC had zombie throwing and 6 hours of eye-rolling fanservice.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, ORC had that one good moment where they flipped the table on introducing the first zombie. For like 5 minutes I thought the game might actually be scary.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

To be fair, all I remember about the beginning of ORC is a bunch of Hunk cosplayers getting into a gunfight and then Willie B showing up in QTE form.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
ORC looks like a great game to play with other people. The story reads like plagiarized fanfic though.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 2, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

WHoops

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I was the opposite. But im a weirdo that like Resident Evil 5 and dislikes RE 6. I thought Revelations was great at mixing old style horror with the new more combat heavy style.

But let's not forget that it was a 3ds game first and foremost which makes it mind boggling why they charged $50 for it.

I did like RE5 (haven't played 6 yet). I did like the combination of old horror and new combat but it just felt like a disconnect with previous characters and plot of the old games. Plus it took itself too seriously with not much over the top stuff like RE5. Maybe it could have been that 3Ds porting that did it.

And I really wish they did the DLC for the pc version of RE5 because I would have liked to play that flashback. And play as Barry and Rebecca.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Heads up for Wii U/3DS owners:

Capcom is doing a RE eShop sale in NA; Revelations HD is $20 and Revelations/Mercenaries 3D are $10 until Halloween.

Is there any content missing from the Wii U version? Did it get any extra levels/costumes/whatever on 360/PS3?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
If anyone wants to co-op RE6 on steam, hit me up. I'm Blacktoll on that as well. I need a partner in crime if I'm going to slog through this thing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The GIG posted:

ORC looks like a great game to play with other people. The story reads like plagiarized fanfic though.

The story is the least of O:RC's worries.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
I never got to play ORC, I kinda want to simply because I like coop games, but after reading all of your posts I now don't think I want to.

On another note, Revelations biggest flaw to me is the dodge system is finicky for me at least. That, and I never can find people to play raid mode with.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

What platform are you on? On PS3 I tend to run into a good number of folks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Did Capcom ever talk about re-releasing RE6 with all the DLC and stuff already on it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Really?

Wow. Okay, let's not be generous to RE4. Let's not give it any "For its time" bullshit. Let's just treat it as a game.

First thing you notice is the shooting. Which is good, since that's going to be a lot of what you do in the game. What do you know, the guns feel good! It's almost like someone thought about how the player would use weapons. The damage on normal is low enough for the default weapons you don't feel godlike, but high enough to make the weapons feel useful. And then, right early on, they add a well thought out melee system. Stun an enemy, you can do a high damage, neat looking melee attack. But it means giving up your range advantage. Risk reward, right there in every fight as a basic mechanic. (With knife stuns possible to turn things up even more.) Weapon upgrade system is also brilliant, with treasures to find and sell (some of which need to be combined for maximum value and hey, what do you know, more informed risk reward decision making! It's almost like games are about making choices or something.) You can buy guns to suit your playstyle, but you balance them against a limited (but expandable!) inventory.

The game also changes things up at a good pace. You get used to headshotting enemies? Now their heads explode into new monsters. Sometimes. Or there's a long stretch of gameplay where nothing is trying to kill you, which builds tension. (Advantage of being a TPS before modern cover mechanics were common, you don't get waist high walls as a tipoff.) You go from spooky villages to full warzones. Keeps you on your toes.

The plot is stupid, but it hits the b movie cheese sweet spot, with frequent bad one liners.

Solid graphics, still passable today, good sound design, the Merchant, bless his creepy cockney voice.

And to top it all off, the game has a ton of unlockables, from a full side mission to tons of game breaking guns. Such a good game.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I think my favorite boss the first time playing through was the Bella Sisters so much tension.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Toxsyl posted:

I never got to play ORC, I kinda want to simply because I like coop games, but after reading all of your posts I now don't think I want to.

On another note, Revelations biggest flaw to me is the dodge system is finicky for me at least. That, and I never can find people to play raid mode with.

I'd tots play some raid mode with you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dodge is just stupid and badly explained, you don't need to press any buttons, just run toward the enemy when they're attacking and you'll dodge right through them. Very handy for that boss with the big rear end spike ball he drags around.

quote:

You get used to headshotting enemies? Now their heads explode into new monsters.

Actually this is completely scripted, you could knife them and their heads would still explode into a plaga. It removed any sort of strategy or tension once I discovered that. Same in RE5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Actually this is completely scripted, you could knife them and their heads would still explode into a plaga. It removed any sort of strategy or tension once I discovered that. Same in RE5.

There are still ways you can prevent Plagas from spawning though. In RE5 for example a neckbreak/throat slit will prevent Plagas from appearing while also being an instant kill.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
I am on PC for RE:R and RE6.

Yes, that scripted mutation in RE4 and 5 was annoying until you realized flash grenades were the best thing ever.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I dont think I have ever realized that RE4 had adaptive difficulty until now. I recently bought the HD version on the Halloween sale but usually when I play through it, it is on a new game + which gives you your old weapons which are most likely overpowered as poo poo when you play again. But starting fresh I noticed that I am taking a shitload of damage from attacks, and there will be a bunch of enemies in areas where I never noticed that many before. I also want to say that it feels like it is taking more bullets to kill people but that may just be all in my head. I think I have also only died once to get the trophy for shooting the water.

The crazy thing is that RE5 has the same system, and I have played that one a lot more but never noticed it either.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I went out and bought a used copy of Resident Evil Revelations and I'm wondering if I just got trolled hard by people telling me it's good. The first 20 minutes is just lovely exposition, lame looking monsters that take dozens of bullets to kill (on normal mode), and...scanning? I heard it harks back to the older Resident Evils, but if these first 20 minutes are anything to go by, this is the least Resident Evil-ish game I've played yet (except for the voice acting, which is still atrocious).

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dirty Job posted:

I went out and bought a used copy of Resident Evil Revelations and I'm wondering if I just got trolled hard by people telling me it's good. The first 20 minutes is just lovely exposition, lame looking monsters that take dozens of bullets to kill (on normal mode), and...scanning? I heard it harks back to the older Resident Evils, but if these first 20 minutes are anything to go by, this is the least Resident Evil-ish game I've played yet (except for the voice acting, which is still atrocious).

The first half hour or so is pretty much all just setting the scene. Pretty soon, they will actually let you do Resident Evil-y things like exploring an ostentatious environment littered with blood and monsters.

As for the monsters themselves, I agree with you on the visuals (the Oozes look like total poo poo and you won't see an interesting non-boss design until the last few areas), but fighting them works pretty well in my opinion. They're sturdy to encourage you to either focus on evasion or targeting weak points. Really, most of the pasty mooks you'll encounter wandering the halls can be juked past and ignored. When you do have to fight them, here's a tip: stagger them by shooting their big 'ol club hands then melee the crap out of them. Everything has different weaknesses, but for the basic dudes its the hands. I spent like three hours racking up headshots and wondering why it wasn't helping.

It's kind of a hybrid of the old and new games, so it takes a little getting used to. Give it until you reach the first real boss, at least. That's where it really clicked for me, so maybe you'll have a similar experience.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Crowetron posted:

The first half hour or so is pretty much all just setting the scene. Pretty soon, they will actually let you do Resident Evil-y things like exploring an ostentatious environment littered with blood and monsters.

As for the monsters themselves, I agree with you on the visuals (the Oozes look like total poo poo and you won't see an interesting non-boss design until the last few areas), but fighting them works pretty well in my opinion. They're sturdy to encourage you to either focus on evasion or targeting weak points. Really, most of the pasty mooks you'll encounter wandering the halls can be juked past and ignored. When you do have to fight them, here's a tip: stagger them by shooting their big 'ol club hands then melee the crap out of them. Everything has different weaknesses, but for the basic dudes its the hands. I spent like three hours racking up headshots and wondering why it wasn't helping.

It's kind of a hybrid of the old and new games, so it takes a little getting used to. Give it until you reach the first real boss, at least. That's where it really clicked for me, so maybe you'll have a similar experience.

I'll do that. I encountered a door with an anchor symbol on it, which got me excited about symbol keys, and this whole "last time on Resident Evil..." episodic thing is delightfully absurd. I'll try to withhold judgment.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Get to the first boss. The execution was flawless, even if the actual battle had some issues.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Azran posted:

Get to the first boss. The execution was flawless, even if the actual battle had some issues.

What, the comms officer? I found that thoroughly obnoxious as a fight.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fil5000 posted:

What, the comms officer? I found that thoroughly obnoxious as a fight.

Yeah. I found the actual lead up to be just amazing. Sure, like I said, the fight has some issues and can be a serious roadblock, but I did it on my first try and it had me on the edge of my seat at all times.

Also, people should play this in Easy first.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Azran posted:

Yep. The game definitely feels like it was designed to be played through on each difficulty in succession. Just like the multiplayer mode.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I played through on normal, and after the first boss fight, every thing pretty much was a cakewalk.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Azran posted:

Yeah. I found the actual lead up to be just amazing. Sure, like I said, the fight has some issues and can be a serious roadblock, but I did it on my first try and it had me on the edge of my seat at all times.

Yeah, I was on easy so it wasn't a complete ball smashing bastard of a fight, but I could see how it would be if enemies had more health and did more damage. Plus I felt bad because the guy just keeps yelling "Stop, I'm human!" as he tries to buzzsaw your face off.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I played through on normal, and after the first boss fight, every thing pretty much was a cakewalk.

The first boss is not a cakewalk when you only have the pistol and run out of ammo. I went back to grab a shotgun and sniper rifle then it was a cakewalk.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
I dunno how anyone can like Revelations with the sheer amount of reused content, a plot with a forced narrative about Dante's Inferno and some really lousy boss battles.

The part where you have to go through the ship with Chris to find out it was a duplicate ship and then having to redo the same section yet again later is just shameless padding. And this isn't even the only time, there's terrible retreading of sections like this with just about every area of the game with a sheer lack of enemy variety.

This game felt like a cheap cash-in game just like ORC was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Proto Cloud posted:

The part where you have to go through the ship with Chris to find out it was a duplicate ship and then having to redo the same section yet again later is just shameless padding. And this isn't even the only time, there's terrible retreading of sections like this with just about every area of the game with a sheer lack of enemy variety.

Are you kidding? That section is one of the most magnificent gently caress-yous in recent gaming history. When I played it the first time, between the music and the ammo shortage, I fell for the whole thing. It's paced very well.

Revelations was developed for a different system than 360/PS3 and definitely feels like it, but I'd defend it every time now that it's on a platform I can stand to play. The 3DS rev gave me a pretty good callous after a while.