Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

Yes, its Getting to be worse than zombies.

Now I'm expecting them to adapt the Marvel Zombies stories into a TV show next.

For the non-comic readers out there, it's basically a What-If series where a bunch of Marvel Heroes get zombified, but keep their powers. That's right, superpowered zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
I'd rather see the Marvel Werewolf universe made into a series.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The most recent episode of Trophy Wife really upset me. You don't get smashed by playing one game of beer pong, even by yourself. :colbert:

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I downloaded a new episode, so I'm guessing no???

BTW, who is everybodys guess for Red John? If not for the Profiler thing I would say it was going to be Xander Berkeley, but since I am assuming that rules him out I don't have a clue.

I don't think Red John is actually one person.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

bad day posted:

I don't think Red John is actually one person.

I'm sure several of the other candidates will be underlings, but I think you need RJ to be one person to have a big satisfying confrontation.

In the same vein you need an actor who won't be dominated. To me that leaves out the FBI guy and probably Reed Diamond. I don't think it will be Stiles because of the farm storyline, though I could see him as a mentor type.

It can't be Xander Berkeley unless they want to rip off the Jack Of All Trades storyline absolutely point by point.

I guess that leaves Bertram?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

The most recent episode of Trophy Wife really upset me. You don't get smashed by playing one game of beer pong, even by yourself. :colbert:

I'm not familiar with the rules of beer pong, but I've gotten hosed up on a single bottle of Chablis before. It doesn't take a lot of alcohol to screw people up when they're thin, haven't eaten in awhile or a complete lightweight.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah as everyone in irc knows I basically cannot drink any more due to the medication I am on making me wasted beyond belief if I have more than 2 beers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

For the non-comic readers out there, it's basically a What-If series where a bunch of Marvel Heroes get zombified, but keep their powers. That's right, superpowered zombies.

Luckily Marvel has completely killed that universe and doesn't allow anyone to use stuff from it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Luckily Marvel has completely killed that universe and doesn't allow anyone to use stuff from it.
Because Robert Kirkman (the guy behind it) left Marvel and decided one zombie comic at a time was enough for him.

Edit: Whoops, my bad. Though it doesn't surprise me much that Millar did it.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 8, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ They had other people write it and Mark Millar created it in Ultimate Fantastic Four.

thrakkorzog posted:

I am shocked that they have not since the can promote it as made by the creator of Walking Dead and Creator of Kick-rear end.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Because Kirkman (the guy behind it) left Marvel and moved on to do another little zombie comic at Image instead.

Mark Millar created the zombie stuff as a storyline for ultimate fansastic four. They just got Kirkman to write a miniseries when they wanted to run that poo poo into the ground. Because he was already famous for writing crappy comics, a lot for marvel, but specifically this crappy zombie series he has at image.

Way to get every detail wrong. Give me your nerd badge and sword. You're suspended without pay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

soapgish posted:

More valid point, if Benson speaks truth there is no way he can be high so all time. Not even on the best of days is a THC soaked person getting typical like Doug Benson, oblivious and acting an adolescent.

I can almost guarantee you I smoke more weed than Doug Benson and I never act like he does. It's a marijuana minstrel show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe he gets better stuff than you do.

I mean he is making occasional guest appearance on low rated cable TV shows money.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Would it be worth separating the adult swim thread into two, as I'm guessing I'm not the only one who avoids the thread because there's fewer things I care less about than anime discussion. The 3rd Greatest Event in Television History aired last night with barely any notice, which is a bit lame. Also Eric Andre and Hot Package have both been really good this year too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

But them Gitmo will whine up a storm that you're stealing his thread and start shitposting everywhere

-
Actually yeah go for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Would it be worth separating the adult swim thread into two, as I'm guessing I'm not the only one who avoids the thread because there's fewer things I care less about than anime discussion. The 3rd Greatest Event in Television History aired last night with barely any notice, which is a bit lame. Also Eric Andre and Hot Package have both been really good this year too.

Honestly I don't know why Toonami doesn't have its own thread, separate from the live-action Adult Swim shows. In fact, I thought it was that way already, but it's not.

So, go for it, just make sure everyone knows what's happening before you post it I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't watch any of the animated stuff there so I can sympathize with this. A live action thread for that stuff would be fine. There was an older Childrens Hospital/NTSF thread too, but we'll roll them into that thread as well. Just make it for all live action Adult Swim stuff. The other thread can be the animated stuff only.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

I'm not familiar with the rules of beer pong, but I've gotten hosed up on a single bottle of Chablis before. It doesn't take a lot of alcohol to screw people up when they're thin, haven't eaten in awhile or a complete lightweight.
A bottle of wine, yes, but on lovely domestic at a dive bar? Hardly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

A bottle of wine, yes, but on lovely domestic at a dive bar? Hardly.

The only TV show that accurately represents what being drunk is actually like is Drunk History.

Almost every show gets all that poo poo wrong, and it's so annoying - like earlier with the Doug Benson thing, I refuse to believe being high actually makes him act like that. He's just acting like stoned people are "supposed" to act, when the reality is that most people who smoke pot on a daily basis don't actually act different when they're stoned.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

I don't watch any of the animated stuff there so I can sympathize with this. A live action thread for that stuff would be fine. There was an older Childrens Hospital/NTSF thread too, but we'll roll them into that thread as well. Just make it for all live action Adult Swim stuff. The other thread can be the animated stuff only.

If it's not too late -- a thread for AS proper and a second thread for Toonami sounds about right.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

If it's not too late -- a thread for AS proper and a second thread for Toonami sounds about right.

I have no clue what the distinction is. I just tell my DVR what shows to record and it does it. So whatever works.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Deadpool posted:

I have no clue what the distinction is. I just tell my DVR what shows to record and it does it. So whatever works.

Well you see Toonami is Adult Swim for pedophiles

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Toonami is just what they call their Saturday night action show block.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Toonami = Cartoon + Anime

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Occupation posted:

Well you see Toonami is Adult Swim for pedophiles

Adult Swim rarely/never has the really bad animes, does it? Or is this just an "all anime is the same" joke?

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Irish Joe posted:

Again, that doesn't even working unless you're seriously dyslexic. How are you so consistently wrong...

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

Adult Swim rarely/never has the really bad animes, does it? Or is this just an "all anime is the same" joke?

That's a bad "all anime is for pesos" joke.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

See, Tsunamis are something that happens in Asia, which is where anime is made.

In Japan CN has a block of western shows called "Carturricane"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mo0 posted:

"all anime is for pesos"

Man, I knew those animators didn't get paid much, but drat! :)

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

Man, I knew those animators didn't get paid much, but drat! :)

I hate my stupid phone

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Here's the official date:

quote:

[11/07/13 - 07:42 AM]
"Whale Wars" Returns to Animal Planet in a Two-Hour Television Event Chronicling the Sea Shepherds' Toughest Campaign Yet
The special - airing Friday, December 13 - will chronicle the Sea Shepherds' 2012 "Zero Tolerance" mission that is in peril even before it gets started.

They're making it sound like it's just going to be one episode, not a full season. :(

And here's Paul making an rear end of himself in court a few days ago:

quote:

‘We’re not pirates,’ anti-whaling sailor Paul Watson tells Seattle court

Activist sea captain Paul Watson, star of the reality-TV show “Whale Wars,” says he’s no pirate at a hearing to determine whether he violated a court order to stay away from Japanese whalers.

By Mike Carter

Seattle Times staff reporter

Paul Watson, whose high-seas exploits chasing Japanese whalers have made him a reality-TV star, insists he’s no pirate.

“Protesting against illegal activity is not piracy,” the founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS) said in a U.S. appeals court in Seattle on Wednesday during a hearing that will determine whether he and the organization should be held in contempt.

“I don’t care what people call us,” he said. “We’re not pirates.”

Watson is just as clear in his opinion of Japanese whale hunters: “They are criminals.”

Watson’s appearance before an appellate commissioner was because the judges want to know if he’s in contempt of court for violating an order to stay away from Japanese whaling ships.

Watson, who is wanted by Japan and Interpol for criminal charges stemming from his anti-whaling activities off the coast of Antarctica in 2010, said he has been at sea for the past year to avoid arrest. He explained that his appearance in Seattle was the result of “high-level negotiations,” but did not elaborate.

If found in contempt, Watson and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society face fines of up to $2 million, although the Japanese whaling consortium that has sued Watson says it will forgo the fines if the fleet is left alone next season. The director of the Australian Sea Shepherd Society already has said it will continue with the harassment campaign this winter.

Moreover, the blustery 62-year-old eco-activist and the Friday Harbor-based Sea Shepherd Conservation Society face a possibly large monetary verdict in the civil lawsuit underlying the contempt action.

And that may not be all of Watson’s problems. Sitting in the back of the courtroom as Watson testified was Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrew Friedman, a criminal supervisor in the Seattle U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Friedman would say only that he was interested in hearing Watson’s testimony.

The contempt hearing arose from a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Seattle in 2011 against Watson and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society by Japan’s Institute for Cetacean Research and two large Japanese whaling firms. The lawsuit sought an injunction to stop the high-seas harassment, and damages.

Watson has for years been a sort of anti-Ahab, an obsessive opponent of whaling who has risked ship and crew to interfere with the Japanese fleet — exploits documented on Animal Planet’s reality show “Whale Wars.”

The Sea Shepherd ships often run perilously close to the whalers in heaving seas, with crews throwing acid and smoke bombs, and dragging cables to foul propellers. The group claims it has saved thousands of whales.

Japan is permitted by international treaty to take whales for research, and the country kills as many as 1,000 of the sea mammals every year as allowed by the International Whaling Commission. However, the whale meat not used for study is sold as food in Japan.

Watson and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society say the research is a sham, and that much of the meat makes it way to the market.

Last year, U.S. District Judge Richard Jones ruled for Watson and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society in the lawsuit, and refused to issue the injunction to stop the protests. The whalers appealed, and Jones’ decision was not only reversed, he was removed as trial judge for abuse of discretion.

Shortly after, a panel of judges on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals — led by Chief Judge Alex Kozinski — issued an injunction of its own, ordering Watson, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, and anyone working “in concert” with them to stay at least 500 yards away from the Japanese whaling ships.

The whalers allege that injunction was violated at least 10 times, including one incident in which a Sea Shepherd ship rammed a fuel vessel.

Watson claims he is not responsible. He said that by the time of the alleged violations he had resigned from every aspect of the organization he had founded in 1977 — right down to losing his salary and health benefits — in an effort to comply with the injunction.

He acknowledged he was on board one of the four protest ships when the violations occurred, but only because it was under way when the injunction was issued and he feared arrest if he went ashore.

He said he remained only as an observer, and urged compliance with the injunction, but said he could not force it because the operation was at that point being run by Sea Shepherd of Australia. That group’s director, Jeff Hansen, testified earlier this week that he believes his organization is beyond the reach of the U.S. courts.

Watson explained there are several Sea Shepherd organizations around the world, many started by former crewmates. He said they are affiliated with — but independent of — the U.S. organization.

The attorney representing the Japanese whalers questioned whether Watson’s attempts to comply with the injunction weren’t a fiction to allow the protests to continue while claiming he had no control over them.

The lawyer, John Neupert, suggested that if he had really wanted to comply with the injunction, he would have stayed in command of the operation and ensured that the ships did not violate the 500-yard rule.

Watson said he didn’t think he could do that, because he would not be able to stop the other captains if a whale’s life was in danger.

The panel has taken the matter under advisement.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm surprised these jackasses haven't hijacked a Klingon Bird of Prey to stop the whalers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Scandal is what I imagine daytime soaps are like. They do this annoying thing where two people will be arguing, then one of them repeats himself verbatim and on the third time, the other person relents. It's like they're doing this SA satire of The West Wing: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/how-write-for/

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't watch many late night talkshows anymore, but the creator of Minecraft was on Craig Ferguson last night and good lord is it a testament to the Ferguson's ability that he didn't just implode when confronted by computer nerd awkwardness compounded by Notch being ESL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIAZDg6yww

Also, both the threads made for it have been poo poo but the continental breakfast sketch from Key & Peele is downright transcendent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st21dIMaGMs

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Shining reference at the end made that entire K&P sketch.

Flawless.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I don't watch many late night talkshows anymore, but the creator of Minecraft was on Craig Ferguson last night and good lord is it a testament to the Ferguson's ability that he didn't just implode when confronted by computer nerd awkwardness compounded by Notch being ESL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIAZDg6yww
The ESL thing doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as this guy just seeming boring as all gently caress to be around.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, both the threads made for it have been poo poo but the continental breakfast sketch from Key & Peele is downright transcendent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st21dIMaGMs
:roflolmao:

I haven't been following the new season of Key & Peele at all but I probably should be if this is indicative of the quality of the whole thing. This was loving great.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The ESL thing doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as this guy just seeming boring as all gently caress to be around.
:roflolmao:

I haven't been following the new season of Key & Peele at all but I probably should be if this is indicative of the quality of the whole thing. This was loving great.

That seemed like pretty much the defining episode of the problem with sketch comedy. There's just a long setup with nothing funny actually happening, and there's no actual joke until the end, and even then the punch-line was just a Shining reference.

That just seems like a bad SNL skit to me. I've seen Key & Peele bits that made me laugh, that wasn't one of them.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 9, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Notch got exceptionally lucky in taking someone else's idea and making it just about work. Beyond the bare bones almost everything that makes Minecraft worth playing has been made by the community, and Notch himself has proven unable to do anything even remotely as interesting or successful as a follow-up. Why anyone would think that he would be a good chat show guest is beyond me. He seems conversationally dull and gives the distinct impression of being on the spectrum.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thrakkorzog posted:

That seemed like pretty much the defining episode of the problem with sketch comedy. There's just a long setup with nothing funny actually happening, and there's no actual joke until the end, and even then the punch-line was just a Shining reference.

That just seems like a bad SNL skit to me. I've seen Key & Peele bits that made me laugh, that wasn't one of them.

Yeah, same here. I've liked them before but that was just not at all funny.

• Locked thread