Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nybble posted:

Just got the message from Project Glass that I'm one of the lucky 8000 people. It seems like they picked them at random (they definitely selected some people with joke tweets.) I'm kinda hesitant about dropping the $1500 for it (that would be a new laptop for me, and I may need one soon), but if they allow access to the SDK, I'm definitely in. Even if Project Glass doesn't succeed in it's current form, I have to think it will in other forms and may be worth trying it out if only to develop ideas for other future wearable tech.

I don't have any other details yet about when I can get it, they are still sending out the notifications, but I'll update this thread when I learn more.

Sounds like you might hear from them soon, they're now going to start sending the #ifihadglass folks messages about how to purchase & pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Anyone here that was selected willing to give out an invite?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/30/4573318/google-lets-glass-explorers-invite-a-friend-into-the-fold

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omate/omate-truesmart-water-resistant-standalone-smartwa

The Omate TrueSmart looks like a pretty kickass competitor to everything else on the market. It's actually running just a skinned version of android, and has access to google play. I'm quite hyped and I'm sad that nobody's even brought it up yet.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The Leon Hikari posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omate/omate-truesmart-water-resistant-standalone-smartwa

The Omate TrueSmart looks like a pretty kickass competitor to everything else on the market. It's actually running just a skinned version of android, and has access to google play. I'm quite hyped and I'm sad that nobody's even brought it up yet.

Almost sounds too good to be true - I have my concerns about the battery life, but it would blow my Pebble out of the water if they manage to deliver, and just in time for my birthday. I'm guessing that it wouldn't work on Sprint as a standalone due to the SIM and Sprint's closed network, but maybe with an MVNO?

Not that I need it to be standalone, as the Pebble has been mostly good so far as a companion device... but I'd drop it fast for the right upgrade. Oh, the early adopter's dilemma.

As it is, my fancier watch doesn't get worn almost ever anymore and I only wear my sports watch when I'm afraid of damaging my Pebble or being away from power for too long.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Thanks for that. I took the plunge for a developer's edition of the omate. It seems like the natural evolution of my WIMM One, which I have definitely had $200 worth of fun programming for. I hope their waterproof charging connectors are sweatproof too.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is this the right thread for the Galaxy Gear?
http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/01/this-is-samsungs-galaxy-gear-smartwatch-a-blocky-health-tracker-with-a-camera/

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Yep, right thread. I hope that's not the Galaxy Gear. It looks awful.

And since it wasn't mentioned already, it turns out that WIMM has been silent for a year because Google bought them. Hopefully, a Nexus Watch based on the WIMM platform will come out relatively soon. I would be all over that.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Is there a Glass invite thread somewhere in the forums? I can't find one at all.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

suddenlyissoon posted:

Is there a Glass invite thread somewhere in the forums? I can't find one at all.

There isn't one, but it seems like this thread is the closest thing that we have. I'd like an invite.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Found this thread after getting the wearable itch. I'm curious what you guys think of the I'mwatch, would love to hear from the pre-order guys.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Well we have an answer on the Qualcomm Toq which I thought was the most interesting offering between the Galaxy Gear trainwreck and the somewhat boring Pebble. December 3rd and $350. :ohdear:

This is pretty disappointing, giving it's wireless charging and color screen I expected a premium over the Pebble but I was thinking more in the $250 range, $350 is a ton of money for a watch that isn't much more capable than a Pebble.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Well we have an answer on the Qualcomm Toq which I thought was the most interesting offering between the Galaxy Gear trainwreck and the somewhat boring Pebble. December 3rd and $350. :ohdear:

This is pretty disappointing, giving it's wireless charging and color screen I expected a premium over the Pebble but I was thinking more in the $250 range, $350 is a ton of money for a watch that isn't much more capable than a Pebble.

I'd be more interested in this if it was't Android only.

On a different note, did anyone get in on the Agent kickstarter? Seems like it might actually ship at some point? Not sure if backers are getting any more info than regular users. I was vaguely tempted, but I've been waiting over a year for the last electronics project I kickstarted so I shied away.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/secretlabs/agent-the-worlds-smartest-watch

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 18, 2013

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Ryvannis posted:

There isn't one, but it seems like this thread is the closest thing that we have. I'd like an invite.

Seconded.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Maneki Neko posted:

I'd be more interested in this if it was't Android only.

On a different note, did anyone get in on the Agent kickstarter? Seems like it might actually ship at some point? Not sure if backers are getting any more info than regular users. I was vaguely tempted, but I've been waiting over a year for the last electronics project I kickstarted so I shied away.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/secretlabs/agent-the-worlds-smartest-watch

The Agent doesn't look much better than the Pebble and I have to say I'm happy with the Pebble, it's a solid product moving forward. As for Toq being android only, it's incredibly stupid since Apple has opened up all notifications and is allowing full time background app internet connectivity over Bluetooth. It's moved a bit backwards as Pebble broke everything with it's 2.0 SDK but there were iOS apps that I assume are being updated that tied in with calendars and messages, even phone finders, GPS, etc.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RE: Glass invites

I had three, but they only gave me two weeks to give them out. It was a single form with three slots, so you had to do them all at once. I was going to post here, but I forgot. Sorry. =(

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

RE: Glass invites

I had three, but they only gave me two weeks to give them out. It was a single form with three slots, so you had to do them all at once. I was going to post here, but I forgot. Sorry. =(

Didn't they give out more recently?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Dunno, just got the one email a few weeks ago. Maybe they're sending them out in waves.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Anyone still looking for Glass invites?

My local Google Developer's Group has a few to give out, but they need to get them in today. Feel free to pm me!

I need: first/last name and an email address.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Glimm posted:

My local Google Developer's Group has a few to give out, but they need to get them in today. Feel free to pm me!

fffffff I really shouldn't do this.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

fffffff I really shouldn't do this.

Yeah as an explorer who loves Glass I gotta say if your company isn't paying for these just hold out.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Glimm posted:

Yeah as an explorer who loves Glass I gotta say if your company isn't paying for these just hold out.

Seconded. I just took mine off the shelf to play with word lens (super cool!), but they're going right back until I have time to do something with them.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Glimm posted:

Mack Dawson pryorwins@gmail.com

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Sent!

Unfortunately I will be unable to monitor this thread further tonight so will not be able to invite anyone else :(

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Glimm posted:

Sent!

Unfortunately I will be unable to monitor this thread further tonight so will not be able to invite anyone else :(

I was a little late with this. Hopefully I can catch the invite still. :smith:

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Does Spotify on the Pebble also never correctly display music information for anyone else? I can change tracks fine so it's just a minor nuisance.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Got an invite, don't got $1,500.

Someone can use my code: QDQP-HNLY-MQDR-JZJD It expires in about 3 days.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Spectracide posted:

Got an invite, don't got $1,500.

Someone can use my code: QDQP-HNLY-MQDR-JZJD It expires in about 3 days.

Seriously, someone ghosted the invite code...

Thanks for being so generous to give it out to goons. Hopefully more will come along!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Someone, please use this invite so I don't waste $1,500. Expires in 3 days. Should work but can't guarantee it since I initially clicked on buy it now but stopped there. The internet suggests this ties it to my gmail account, so I'm not certain it will work. Good luck rich goon.

YLTZ-HPJD-NRNB-BBMH

Edit: a SA lurker appears. Thank you because I've had a few beers and went to buy the thing just now. Again, saved me $1,500.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 8, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Does anybody else want an invite? I have three I need to get rid of before they expire on Monday.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Edit. Sorry Never mind

Justaddwater fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 18, 2013

Seraji
Oct 28, 2007

Please wait while custom title and avatar loads...
Does anyone have a Glasses invite code to spare? My work wants one and doesn't like the idea of eBaying it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Seraji posted:

Does anyone have a Glasses invite code to spare? My work wants one and doesn't like the idea of eBaying it.

It's from a Feb email, so no clue if it will still work:

NTJB-GCCR-NBYB-HZHR

Seraji
Oct 28, 2007

Please wait while custom title and avatar loads...
Awesome - thanks! Now just to get our purchasing people to part with their cash.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like Google Glass purchases will be open to the public for one day, Tuesday April 15th.

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleGlass/posts/HaUCDHtRvcn

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like Google Glass purchases will be open to the public for one day, Tuesday April 15th.

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleGlass/posts/HaUCDHtRvcn

What do they have in the way of working, practical apps thus far? I can't imagine many people being interested in paying $1500 for what amounts to little more than a head-mounted camera.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Seems like the big niche right now is sports: among the best are two different golf apps, a workout coach app (it plays you an exercise in the display and then uses the accelerometer to count your reps), and Strava for both running and cycling.

There's also IFTTT so you can define your own notifications and such to Glass. Couple cooking apps too.

Word Lens, the realtime translation app, is the coolest looking one. That's the app that'll let you look at something in a foreign language and it'll show you the same view, but with the text translated. It works but it will murder your battery.

And then if you want to share photos there's all the various social services you care about and some you don't (FB, Twitter, G+, Tumblr, Path).

Most of the other apps in their "Glassware" portal look pretty useless.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Just wait on Google Glass unless you have $1500 burning a hole in your pocket. Yes, it's cool (I had one) but unless you're a developer it's fairly useless right now. You're not missing out on much other than being able to say, "hey, I have google glass".

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've paid genuine money for the Rufus Cuff. When it arrives in September I'll do a write up of it for you. I'm excited, not gonna lie.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

kitten smoothie posted:

Seems like the big niche right now is sports: among the best are two different golf apps, a workout coach app (it plays you an exercise in the display and then uses the accelerometer to count your reps), and Strava for both running and cycling.

There's also IFTTT so you can define your own notifications and such to Glass. Couple cooking apps too.

Word Lens, the realtime translation app, is the coolest looking one. That's the app that'll let you look at something in a foreign language and it'll show you the same view, but with the text translated. It works but it will murder your battery.

And then if you want to share photos there's all the various social services you care about and some you don't (FB, Twitter, G+, Tumblr, Path).

Most of the other apps in their "Glassware" portal look pretty useless.

I don't suppose anyone's working on a navigation app? I've been thinking that that would be nice to have for walking around a major city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cockmaster posted:

I don't suppose anyone's working on a navigation app? I've been thinking that that would be nice to have for walking around a major city.

Google's already got Maps integrated with driving, cycling, walking, and transit directions.

https://support.google.com/glass/answer/3086042?hl=en

It's actually pretty cool; the screen will switch off when you're on the route so as to not distract you. As you're approaching a turn it'll beep in your ear, tell you what to do, and briefly show the map again.