Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I personally don't care the slightest if they hide the settings in Opera:Config or behind a Konami code and require the sacrifice of a virgin because a lot of Opera users are already trained to dig up features that are built in but obscured. Accessibility would be a nice change for Opera, probably necessary to its survival as a brower, but I'll take functionality first. But the way the Options are setup in Opera, I don't get a real "forward thinking" feel to how they're building it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Computer viking posted:

They'll be adding more things to it, at about one item per released developer build.
Feature parity slated for the year 3500?

As to the other things you wrote about, it boils down to me to: Opera as a company habitually lies to its customers, and it's become so casual and ubiquitous that even the customers don't even realize it's happening anymore. There's nothing wrong with saying "Okay, we provide the option, but we won't make it easy to find, because that makes us less money." There's exactly one thing wrong with saying "We put it there because it might break the browser.": That is a lie.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

More opera fun times. Pretty much every message in one of my mail accounts prior to 2011 was blank. I logged into the mail server with this account and opened my inbox with Pine. Opera mail then re-downloaded every single message in my mailbox. That's nice because I now have the text from all of those missing messages, but of course I also now have duplicate copies of all of them, one of which is blank.

I logged into a different, lovely university mail account running through outlook mail. I had constantly been getting 'authenticate error' when trying to retrieve mail from this account with Opera, even with the correct login/password. After logging out of the webmail, I stopped getting authenticate errors and suddenly received 6-7 messages it had failed to download from the last 2 weeks. To be fair, I don't think this is opera mail's fault, because I also got those messages on my phone at the same time. I guess this one is more of an illustration of how Outlook mail is lovely and how my university is dumb as hell for contracting their mail services out to Microsoft for no discernible reason.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The reason is $$$. You're welcome.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Is it cool to ask for some setup help from those who know what's going on with the new Opera? I'm trying to set it up the way I've always had it (or similar), but opera:config suddenly has nothing in it and I'm wondering where the options I need are.

I use Opera for specific things that other browsers don't do (or that I found out how to do in Opera and never did in the others, I guess), but after reinstalling Windows 7 yesterday I can't figure out how to do those things in Opera 17. For reference, I'm on Opera 17.0.1241.53, but I'm happy to use any other version if what I'm looking for isn't available any more.

The things I use Opera for:

* Dragging an image into the browser or clicking "open image" opens the image centred, instead of stuck to the left-side of my screen.
In the new version it's stuck to the left, and I just find that so gross. (Why do any browsers do that?)

* The Opera cycle mode.
That thing where ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab do a different thing to [whatever shortcut you have set up for the other cycle mode, in my case it was always 1+2].

I can never really explain the cycle mode to people, I don't have the vocab, but you probably know what I mean. That thing where you could easily get to the last tab you were on, instead of whatever tab is physically next to the one you're reading now. That thing.

* Different saved sessions
I dunno, I guess I can get used to life without this if necessary, but I don't wanna.

I used to use Opera all the time, but now I use Chrome and Firefox too, all for different things. (I know, it's clumsy, I shouldn't do that.) The trouble is, the features I've described there are really invaluable to me so I always set them up first thing on a new computer, but right now I'm unable to get them working in Opera 17. Can anyone help?

(Frankly if you know how to set the same things up in Chrome, that'd be good too, but I just feel comfortable having Opera around, you know? You must know.)

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 8, 2013

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Google just announced that you will only be able to install extensions from the Chrome Store now.

So there's finally something to make Blink Opera marginally interesting by comparison.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ufarn posted:

Google just announced that you will only be able to install extensions from the Chrome Store now.

So there's finally something to make Blink Opera marginally interesting by comparison.

You can still install extensions through policy files or "Load Unpacked Extension", so it's not that interesting.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Buml0r posted:

I used to use Opera all the time, but now I use Chrome and Firefox too, all for different things. (I know, it's clumsy, I shouldn't do that.) The trouble is, the features I've described there are really invaluable to me so I always set them up first thing on a new computer, but right now I'm unable to get them working in Opera 17. Can anyone help?

Right now Opera 17 is missing a lot of customization. I doubt you'd be able to get those features without downgrading to an older version of Opera like 12.5 or so. Unfortunately, since development in 12 has frozen it's becoming incompatible with fundamental websites like Twitter or such.

There are some things that may never return, like your centering of images. I think those got imported by Chrome and they may not ever fix something they see as a quirk or kind of Opera-y feel thing. Like the old page down going from 100% to 85% of the original page. But you'd never know. If you intend to wait on Opera to reintroduce the features you're seeking, you could post that as a bug or feature change request. It might be something they'd tweak to return classic Opera behavior.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Thanks, Apple Cultists(Macworld.co.uk), for reinforcing Opera's belief that 17+ is better than dogshit and rating it the best browser available. This will certainly help Opera pull their heads out of their asses and get back to making Opera a good browser again, rather than a lovely Chrome port.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cuntpunch posted:

Thanks, Apple Cultists(Macworld.co.uk), for reinforcing Opera's belief that 17+ is better than dogshit and rating it the best browser available. This will certainly help Opera pull their heads out of their asses and get back to making Opera a good browser again, rather than a lovely Chrome port.

Let's face it, if they ever were going to do it, the could have done something significant by now. It's been available for 6 months now.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Buml0r posted:

The things I use Opera for:

* The Opera cycle mode.
That thing where ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab do a different thing to [whatever shortcut you have set up for the other cycle mode, in my case it was always 1+2].

I can never really explain the cycle mode to people, I don't have the vocab, but you probably know what I mean. That thing where you could easily get to the last tab you were on, instead of whatever tab is physically next to the one you're reading now. That thing.

I think this is called "most recently used order" or some variation of that. It's basically like Alt+tab on Windows and it's a lot more intuitive than cycling to the next adjacent tab, for sure. There's an extension to do it in Chrome but they can't modify the built-in Ctrl+tab behavior so they set it to Ctrl+Q or something like that.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Thanks for the replies:

lowcrabdiet posted:

I think this is called "most recently used order" or some variation of that. It's basically like Alt+tab on Windows and it's a lot more intuitive than cycling to the next adjacent tab, for sure. There's an extension to do it in Chrome but they can't modify the built-in Ctrl+tab behavior so they set it to Ctrl+Q or something like that.

That's fine by me, do you know what the extension's called?

Ape Agitator posted:

Right now Opera 17 is missing a lot of customization.

You're not kidding! I'm guessing there was quite a bit of fallout over it when it first happened. I had quite a rude awakening today when I discovered the options page and opera:config are the same thing now, and saw how little you could change.

It's a shame, because the browser itself runs like a dream. If there was what I'd think of as a "real" Opera that runs the way the new one does, that would really be the best of all worlds.

Ape Agitator posted:

I doubt you'd be able to get those features without downgrading to an older version of Opera like 12.5 or so. Unfortunately, since development in 12 has frozen it's becoming incompatible with fundamental websites like Twitter or such.

Yeah, in the end that's what I've done, I've installed an older one. It's a real shame though because it represents a real drop in speed compared to what I tried of 17. I guess I'll have to configure Chrome until it resembles what I like, but I'm having little success.

Ape Agitator posted:

There are some things that may never return, like your centering of images.

This just seems so crazy to me. Opera was the last browser I could find that would display images centred, and I just don't understand why nobody's kicking up a fuss about this. Am I the only person who sits in the middle of their screen instead of at one end? Isn't the trend to left-align images annoying to anyone else in the widescreen era? I was sure central-aligned image viewing was something the other browsers would move towards eventually, so I'm really surprised to see it go the other way and to be left with nothing.

I guess I'll go and ask about it in the Chrome thread, if such a thing exists, but my new mission is to find an extension for Chrome that lets me view images centrally-aligned after dropping them into the browser from Windows Explorer. I've found multiple extensions that mimic Opera's old behaviour perfectly, but only for images actually opened from websites.

This seems like such a simple thing to want to do with a computer, it's amazing to me that it isn't answered by any of the major browsers any more. Maybe everyone else is using a dedicated tabs-based image viewing app that I'm unaware of.

...Ah, I appear to be ranting. Apologies.

Reith
Jul 23, 2007
I use Firefox (currently 25.0) and it centers images for me... does it not do the same for you?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Chrome's tab ordering is probably the single biggest reason I haven't switched yet. I've been using Chrome for nearly a year at work and I still can't get used to it.

That and closing the window when the last tab closes. "Oh yes, you can press ctrl+shift+T to re-open the previous tab, but not if it was the last one, hahaha sorry".

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Buml0r posted:

This seems like such a simple thing to want to do with a computer, it's amazing to me that it isn't answered by any of the major browsers any more. Maybe everyone else is using a dedicated tabs-based image viewing app that I'm unaware of.

I think a lot of this falls under the look and feel category that doesn't seem to get a lot of traction with people unless they're originally Opera fans. I think they grow up with the other browser's style and come to expect it.

With Opera starting with Chrome, they have to proactively change things from the Chrome way to the Opera way and they seem to be sidelining the look and feel aspect of Opera in favor of other stuff for now. I'm sad because lacking those elements dulls my interest in the browser because the longer the browser remains feeling like Chrome the more I inevitably think about why I'm trying to relearn a Chrome-like Opera when I could just learn to like Chrome.

What I wouldn't give for them to prioritize seemingly simple things like customization of shortcuts and mouse gestures. I know that they're not simple but its such a core part of my Opera experience that I can't get past it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm still using Opera 12. Its hands down better than any other browser even with development having been killed of. I use Opera 8-10 hours a day and its going to hurt so bad moving to Firefox down the line. I bought Opera when you had to pay for it and I've been using it ever since. What a shame that the company was eaten alive. I guess I'll hold out hope that someone steals the source and releases it to the public once the company dies.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Buml0r posted:

Thanks for the replies:

That's fine by me, do you know what the extension's called?

The Chrome extension is "Recent Tabs"

hopefully this link works:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/recent-tabs/ocllfmhjhfmogablefmibmjcodggknml

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I don't know what it is about this thread where I constantly skip over it and not check it, but, anyway, you don't have to install an extension for that recent tabs behavior. It's the first option in the opera:flags (just like Chrome!) setting page. I don't remember when they added that but I want to say it was awhile ago.

And, wow, never noticed the "centered image" thing, that's seriously annoying (probably because I don't use Opera 15+ for opening images). While I haven't tried it, Google led me to this old Opera add-on which the newest comment says works for 15. Or you could use Google's Chrome extensions through their webstore (just Google "chrome center image"; I only found a couple and didn't try them out).

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Is there, or have they said there will be an option to open links in new tabs (specifically, middle-clicking) at the end instead of adjacent to the tab you're opening them from? It's pretty much the only thing that makes Opera Next actually unusable to me and I didn't find an existing option to change it.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Thanks for the help guys. I think a combo of what you've said might solve my problem.

If not, it matters a lot less now I've discovered something called XnView.

It's basically a browser just for images with every little detail of the way it works customisable. I was able to recreate exactly what I'm looking for in about ten minutes fiddling with the options at 3am, so if anyone else is in my boat and can't get anywhere, this could help. This is (probably) just for images you have on your hard drive, of course.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Doom Goon posted:

I don't know what it is about this thread where I constantly skip over it and not check it, but, anyway, you don't have to install an extension for that recent tabs behavior. It's the first option in the opera:flags (just like Chrome!) setting page. I don't remember when they added that but I want to say it was awhile ago.

Ah!

Thanks for pointing this out! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for when I was trying to find the hidden settings I assumed must exist somewhere. I tried the settings link in the Opera button thingy, I tried typing opera:config the way I always used to... I never knew opera:flags was there.

Are there any more like this that I can start fiddling with? Fiddling with settings, who here doesn't enjoy it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Nope, that's about it for settings really (the advanced settings/code and flags). There's some more internal pages but they won't improve your usability or customization.

Polsy posted:

Is there, or have they said there will be an option to open links in new tabs (specifically, middle-clicking) at the end instead of adjacent to the tab you're opening them from? It's pretty much the only thing that makes Opera Next actually unusable to me and I didn't find an existing option to change it.
That's pretty much it for tab options, you'll need an extension for that like Classic Tabs which looks fairly updated. I'd wager there might be a Chrome extension or two as well.

Yeah, for offline use there are a ton of options; XnView is a classic. I don't think it is exactly a fringe case to want to open a lot of stand-alone images in Opera and find problems with it, though.

Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Opera Thread! Opera can almost sort of do that I guess

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

That's pretty much it for tab options, you'll need an extension for that like Classic Tabs which looks fairly updated. I'd wager there might be a Chrome extension or two as well.

Ah, that works, at least for now, thanks.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

I think Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Opera Thread! No, Opera can't do that anymore would be much more appropriate, in light of all the functionality removed :(.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The Opera Thread! Yes, firefox can do that

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Wild EEPROM posted:

The Opera Thread! Yes, firefox can do that

The Opera Thread! The only browser that can't replicate the Opera features you love is Opera.

When they announced the new version I kind of had it in my head that a year would go by without a release while they retooled and recoded and came out of the gate with a new Opera. I was surprised that they had a release so soon and that it was barebones was understandable because they didn't keep it cooking for a whole year but got it out there quick. That was like Feb or March so I don't necessarily mind giving them three months or so to see what they could put together in a year. But with customization on the back burner like it has been, I'm not encouraged with what's probably going to be done by then.

Come back to me Opera. I don't want to make other browsers into you, I want you. :( This is going to be the saddest break up I've ever had.

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed
In Opera I had two different mouse gestures for closing a tab and either switching to previous or next tab. So gesture up was close & switch to previous and gesture down was close & switch to next. Does anyone know a Firefox addon/setting/whatever to do this?

Thanks to this thread I've been able to make Firefox almost behave like Opera so thanks to everyone for posting addons and stuff! This truly is the 'migrating from Opera' thread now. Sad really :(

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Firegestures seems to be able to do this. But it needs some complicated settings for this.

I think the problem is that even if this thread hadn't become "How to make firefox into an OK emulation of classic Opera" we would have "How to make new Opera into an OK emulation of classic Opera". Both are surprisingly hard work, and once you started on one, there is no reason to switch.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I use All-in-One gestures in Firefox, and it has a ton of configuration options, but the out of the box ones have been fine for me. I mostly use the close-window gesture and button-rockers, though.

Firefox's sync feature is pretty nice as well - getting not just bookmarks but addons and settings between my systems is a sweet deal.

Really it hasn't been that hard getting Firefox set up - I think I wound up only with 4 or 5 extensions with minimal configuration of each. I wasted more time getting passwords put back into my common sites. I did give up on getting a nice speed dial - all the extension ones were pretty ugly or performed poorly.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Man Opera 12 is starting to piss me off something fierce.
Pretty much every time I come out of hibernation/sleep it can't connect to the internet anymore until I restart Opera.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Riso posted:

Man Opera 12 is starting to piss me off something fierce.
Pretty much every time I come out of hibernation/sleep it can't connect to the internet anymore until I restart Opera.

Are you sure that isn't an issue with your interface? I'd check the power management settings.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
When everything else works the problem is not the interface.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Riso posted:

I'm on Win7 and i did have the same happen daily on my machine for a few months, because i take my laptop to work with me. However for the past two months or so it hasn't happened anymore, and i can't tell if it's something i did or not.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Is there any extension that replicates Opera's page mode/user mode functionality. I have a user style sheet that makes unvisited and visited links very obvious, that I sometimes use on sites that have styling that doesn't make them different from each other.

I know there are some extensions that let you permanently modify the styling, but I want to toggle it on and off, like Opera.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hmmm... looks like Stylish has an enable/disable toggle option when you click on the button. The couple others I found didn't seem to have that (or the option wasn't plainly obvious).

Opera 19 Development updated, this time with Sync support (Speed Dials, Stash item, and custom search providers, with more coming later, through Opera Accounts or social network integration). A couple known issues, and a couple comments posting about HiDPI becoming enabled? They also renamed the Quick-Access Bar to Bookmarks Bar :downs: Somebody else recommended the Chrome extension Neater Bookmarks although it looks like there might be Opera-specific limitations to it?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sorry to double-post, but Opera 18 final is out. That's the one that includes mic/camera support (getUserMedia and webRTC), some custom search engine support, draggable tabs, and theme support. Most of those aren't as good as they used to be (custom search has limitations, themes are nowhere near as comprehensive as skins used to be), but still, if you're using new Opera and not an experimental version you'll want to update.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
So with much futzing around I've been able to cobble together a pretty close approximation of Opera's tab stacking behavior and the tab tree found in the Windows panel using a few different Firefox extensions. Tab Utilities (use ver 1.6pre5) will enable tab stacking and add some additional tab options similar to Tab Mix Plus, you can enable auto-stacking by toggling extensions.tabutils.autoStack in about :config. Second, I've found a combination of OmniSidebar and 2 Pane Bookmarks will duplicate the Opera sidebar in that you can change the sidebar keyboard shortcut to F4 and add a toggle button in the margin, and importantly adds a custom toolbar to the top of the sidebar to toggle between bookmarks/history. And lastly using Pano will add the tree tab view, which mimics Opera's windows panel in that it groups trees by Tab Group rather than how Tree Style Tabs handles it in creating hierarchies based off of parent tabs spawning child tabs. Also it merges nicely with OmniSidebar if you add Pano's toolbar button to the sidebar toolbar. I've found that the windows panel became essential in managing the 600 tabs that long time Opera users will typically have open at any given time.

The only problem is that Pano hasn't been updated in a year, and appears to have ceased development as it was removed from the Addons directory. It works right now but who knows in a year, and I've found Tree Style Tabs doesn't quite fulfill the same niche. With everything setup correctly you should have something similar to what's in the image.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
^^

Hey guys, check out my sweet new Ferrari:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I finally found a reason/need to try out a pretty standard basic chrome-based feature with Opera Next, that they just recently added: The ability to drag tabs into their own new windows.
In this case, I dragged a single tab I wanted out to my second monitor, dropped it, and was somewhat confused when instead of creating a new window out of the tab I had just dropped, it moved the original window(and all the other tabs) to the second monitor and left a window with my single tab on the first one.

I don't even know how you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm having a problem with scrolling on my laptop. When I use the touchpad to scroll in Opera it zooms around way too fast, but works perfectly in every other program. Anyone know of a solution to this? All I found with some brief Googling was a bunch of people suggesting to change the touchpad sensitivity, but obviously that would effect everything, not just Opera.