Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

RatHat posted:

Anything for Lego Marvel Superheroes for someone who has never played a Lego game before?

Don't worry about getting all the shinies in a level on the first run through, most of them require you to have certain characters or abilities.

Do the deadpool side stuff and complete it in free mode while interacting with everything to find deadpool bricks, these will allow you to build up a stud multiplier among other things.

Get the ghost stud pickup if you intend to freeroam a lot

Death is never a problem, you only lose some studs.

Bring a buddy, LEGO games are even better in co-op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does anyone happen to know when the last chance for me to spend money in RAGE is? I'm closing in on the end I think (about to blow up a bridge) and I don't wanna finish the game with money unspent.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Does anyone happen to know when the last chance for me to spend money in RAGE is? I'm closing in on the end I think (about to blow up a bridge) and I don't wanna finish the game with money unspent.

That's actually the penultimate mission so stock up once you complete it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nohman posted:

Anything I should know for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen?

Do your first 20-30 levels as a strider since they have the most balanced stat growth (it's quite difficult to switch from mage/sorceror to a melee class and vice versa unless you keep your stats somewhat balanced.)

You can't freely switch classes until you reach the main city a few hours in.

Make friends with goons in the normal Dragon's Dogma thread. That way you can use their pawn party members for free.

Avoid the bandits with shields when you first encounter them. They are extremely dangerous.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

After the bridge you do a little drive to the final area, some big technological building. Once you do that last map transition into the building, you can't get back.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What is the best way to replay Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors on Nintendo DS if you get a bad ending? I know you can fastforward through text by pressing right on the d-pad. Are you suppose to start over from the beginning or use the chapter select? Absolutely no spoilers please.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You start from the beginning.

Just choose doors you didn't choose before. The skip function will stop the second you hit ANY new text so you don't have to worry about skipping over new things.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Mokinokaro posted:

Do your first 20-30 levels as a strider since they have the most balanced stat growth (it's quite difficult to switch from mage/sorceror to a melee class and vice versa unless you keep your stats somewhat balanced.)

You can't freely switch classes until you reach the main city a few hours in.

Make friends with goons in the normal Dragon's Dogma thread. That way you can use their pawn party members for free.

Avoid the bandits with shields when you first encounter them. They are extremely dangerous.

I tended to switch classes whenever I maxed out a class, and I was fine.
You can share pawns even if you don't have XBox Live Gold and even if you have the shittiest Internet connection in the world (like mine). Just connect, upload your pawn, and then download it again later.

It's pretty obvious, but if you're playing a fighter type switch your Main Pawn to a mage, and vice versa.

Character creation isn't just cosmetic. If you're fatter, you can carry more stuff, but you're slower. If you're thinner, you take more damage but you you're quicker. I set my Main Pawn to a be a fat guy to carry my loot.

Food will spoil.
Remember to upgrade your weapons and items.
All the inns are linked, so you can just dump items in storage and grab them later.
Set harpies on fire so they hit the ground.
The romance system is really weird and kinda hosed up, so either look at a guide or ignore it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The skip function will stop the second you hit ANY new text so you don't have to worry about skipping over new things.
I didn't know this my first time through, and it was murder, constantly stopping.

Also, it's not quite a spoiler, but if you have trouble finding the new endings, rewatch the things you've unlocked. I won't say any more than that. You'll understand when you see it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

AASman posted:

What is the best way to replay Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors on Nintendo DS if you get a bad ending? I know you can fastforward through text by pressing right on the d-pad. Are you suppose to start over from the beginning or use the chapter select? Absolutely no spoilers please.

I think that you should play through it just choosing whatever seems best to you the first 2-3 times. After that, you can look up a spoiler free ending guide that will tell you what to do in order to see the entirety of the story. Great game :)

Also, the game will gray out choices that you've already made, so that you can see a different experience than you did last time. The only thing that gets tedious is having to redo some of the puzzle rooms several times. Fortunately, I've heard that the sequel improves the game by allowing you to skip past puzzles you've already worked out on a previous playthrough.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

AASman posted:

As mentioned, you start from the beginning which is a bit of a pain. I'm with Jolo here, this is why I personally used an aforementioned spoiler-free guide, because you see that first stupid room enough times as it is. Doubly so because a greyed-out choice does not mean it's a wrong choice, merely that it's one you've picked before; this can lead to a lot of running in circles which isn't very fun. Other than that my best advice is to write down the puzzle solutions as you go through the rooms so that you can minimize the amount of time you need to spend in rooms you've already cleared.

And yeah, the sequel fixes this completely and unless I'm horribly mistaken you'll never have to repeat a single ending or puzzle room in it. Which is a godsend considering the crazy amount of content in that game even compared to 999.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Maybe not the right place to ask but... I've just started playing Sleeping Dogs and just wanted to know do the DLC (Nightmare in North Point/The Zodiac Tournament/Year of the Snake) take after the end of the game or are just tacted on missions to the main game?

Also is there anything I should know before I get any deeper in...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
All the DLC is pretty much designed for after you beat the game. The separate ones in particular. Nightmare in North Point is pretty much the Sleeping Dogs story retold with a the characters playing weird roles, so there's obvious spoilers there.

The Zodiac Tournament can be completed whenever. It says "You're recommended to be a certain level" but this isn't really necessary. What it should say is "Do you have a good grasp of the basic mechanics of the game, combat in particular"

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Same question for Saints Row 3. I have whatever DLC missions came with the ultimate pack that was in that humble bundle some time ago. Can I do those missions whenever I want, or should I save them for after beating the main storyline?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Same question for Saints Row 3. I have whatever DLC missions came with the ultimate pack that was in that humble bundle some time ago. Can I do those missions whenever I want, or should I save them for after beating the main storyline?

They're completely standalone so do them whenever you want.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

They're all activities that open up in the main city like the PR Stunt or Genki Bowl. You can activate them whenever you want.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

McCoy Pauley posted:

The Weird Science one is really good. I would wait until you are a high level before you try it.

The others are uninteresting slogs I would just ignore.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Genkibowl actually has some legs to it and the Trouble with Clones was fun (although most of its spectacle value was overshadowed by Saints Row IV) but Gangstas in Space is pretty much just one dick mechanic after another.

Skippy Granola did a Let's Play of Saints Row: the Third recently. Even he had trouble getting the story DLCs to look play-worthy.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Anything for a person who missed out on Wasteland and is playing it for the first time as Brian Fargo's Wasteland 1: The Original Classic--inXile Special Edition or whatever?

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Character creation tips:

Get 2 levels of Brawling, it's very handy.
Assault Rifle is the best weapon skill early, Energy Weapon later.
A couple of characters should have Medic.
There are a lot of practically useless (or at least really niche) skills.
Combat Shooting used not to do anything, maybe this is now different?

This guide will tell you pretty much anything you want to know.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I tried to play Mass Effect and found the combat really stilted and slow as a Vanguard. Any tips for a first time player? I'm not especially attached to any class, but soldier sounds kinda boring.

If that doesn't work, I'd like to try The Witcher 2. Anything a first time player really needs to know?

hampig fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 9, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The best advice you can get on the Witcher 2 is about combat, and it's basically this: Use every trick in your book. Stuff is there to be used. If you don't, you will get brutally slaughtered. A Witcher isn't really all that, and your biggest asset is the ability to fight dirty. Do whatever it takes to win, it's the Witcher way.

anime sarah palin
Oct 12, 2013

by Pipski

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Maybe not the right place to ask but... I've just started playing Sleeping Dogs and just wanted to know do the DLC (Nightmare in North Point/The Zodiac Tournament/Year of the Snake) take after the end of the game or are just tacted on missions to the main game?

Also is there anything I should know before I get any deeper in...

Get arm and leg break as quick as you can, they're the best moves in the game. Easy to pull off, powerful.

Also, if you can't win the melee battles, get a car and run everyone over. A lot of the battles can be won that way. You can cheese grapplers with flying kicks.

Actually take time to find the jade statues and health shrines, because they're VERY useful.

anime sarah palin fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 9, 2013

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

hampig posted:

If that doesn't work, I'd like to try The Witcher 2. Anything a first time player really needs to know?

You don't really find a ton of weapon/armor loot, instead the game expects you to buy weapon and armor schematics, find or buy the necessary materials for the schematic and then craft the schematic to get new gear. Keeping your gear current makes a big difference!

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

hampig posted:

I tried to play Mass Effect and found the combat really stilted and slow as a Vanguard. Any tips for a first time player? I'm not especially attached to any class, but soldier sounds kinda boring.

In the first game you'll probably have most fun with an Adept simply because it gives you most of the casting abilities that are somewhat fun to use, but you will effectively be limited to using pistols (which isn't that big of a deal because they're the best gun class in the game anyway, albeit boring to use).

Infiltrator can be fun because sniping is somewhat unique compared to the other guns and you still get some useful casting skills, although they're not quite as fun as the Adept's.

That said, ME1's gameplay hasn't aged that well and wasn't that good to begin with, and the combat is much better in the sequels, so when in doubt, just set the difficulty to easy and breeze through the main storyline so you can import your savegame to ME2 and onwards.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
After finishing RAGE (thanks for the advice thread!), I'm about to start Hitman Absolution. I understand the game is more straightforward than the previous ones but is there anything I should know going in? Any things that are crucial to do/avoid?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

After finishing RAGE (thanks for the advice thread!), I'm about to start Hitman Absolution. I understand the game is more straightforward than the previous ones but is there anything I should know going in? Any things that are crucial to do/avoid?

When you load a checkpoint, everyone in the level is magically alive again, including all the people behind you.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Play on normal difficulty first, maybe bumping it up one notch if you want a bigger challenge (but definitely not higher than that).
Hiding a body will negate the score penalty for stealth kills or knocking someone out.
Outside of accidents, a kill with the fiber wire will give you the best score.
The Silent Assassin rating can only be achieved if there's actually a target that needs to be eliminated as part of the mission.
You can't complete the R&D section of the Death Factory mission in your default suit without being spotted (if you're doing the mission challenges).

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Don't worry about score your first time around but if you do, know that knocking out a civilian and then hiding the body is point neutral. Hiding the body gives you the points you initially lost for knocking him out.

If you are sneaking behind an object, use the "stick to cover" function. Sometimes enemies will be able to see you if you just crouch behind a chest high wall, while they will not see you if you are actually taking cover behind it.

Don't feel bad about shooting people, if your stealthy approach does not seem to work out.

Remember that disguises are vulnerable against people in the same clothes. If you dress up as a policeman, other policeman will become suspicious of you very quickly, because they all went to academy together. Line cooks, engineers and scientiests will however not mind bald murdercop as long as he does not kill people.

There is cake in this game and it is hollow. Hide in it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Normally I'm not a fan of rougelikes, but I'm willing to give Sword of the Stars: The Pit Gold Edition a go. Anything I should know besides not getting too attached to my character because he's going to die in some horrible fashion eventually?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

Anything for a person who missed out on Wasteland and is playing it for the first time as Brian Fargo's Wasteland 1: The Original Classic--inXile Special Edition or whatever?

The important thing to remember is that it's an 80s PC RPG. That means it's much more focused on combat than Fallout or later games. If you don't pump up your characters then monsters will gank you all the time.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Wasteland is a great game, but also has a lot of bugs and quirks. For example, don't save and quit while standing on the same tile a store is on, you won't be able to access that store ever again unless you start over. Also, a lot of the skills are pretty useless. Never take pistols or rifles as combat skills since you'll get submachine guns and assault rifles (which don't use the rifle skill and instead has it's own skill class) pretty quickly and you can get by with melee until then. In fact killing an enemy with melee nets double exp, and melee remains useful throughout the game. Also, everyone should have medical skills and energy weapons when you have access to it. Roll all your PCs with high IQ and always pick IQ when leveling up, as it's the only way to get skill points. Other than that, have fun and don't read the paragraphs until the game asks you to do so.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 10, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
The wiki for GTA V says to avoid 'Assasination missions' until the post game. Are thise just Lester's missions or are they marked seperately on the map? I've already done 2 of Lester's missions.

For The Witcher 2, practice, practice, practice combat. And save often, since there are lots of branch points for the story. And read a guide for the tutorial, since there are a few easily missable skill boosts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ddraig posted:

The best advice you can get on the Witcher 2 is about combat, and it's basically this: Use every trick in your book. Stuff is there to be used. If you don't, you will get brutally slaughtered. A Witcher isn't really all that, and your biggest asset is the ability to fight dirty. Do whatever it takes to win, it's the Witcher way.

Build your character to specialize in either sword play or magic. Trying to spread out and get a bit of everything really weakens your character. You almost have to get Quen to level 2 until you master the combat system, but the other spells aren't too useful unless you really focus on their synergies i.e the flame spell and taking abilities that increase damage against burning targets.

A typical fight in The Witcher games should go something like this

- Creep up, see a group of enemies
- Set traps, juice up on potions
- Use spells/bombs to take out the biggest target, aggro the rest
- Lead their charge into your traps, kill the survivors
- Rush up and murder any archers since Witchers deflect arrows

You can also oil up your sword to do more damage to certain types, so if you're going ghost hunting, adding an extra +25% dmg to spectrals really gives you an edge.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Count Chocula posted:

The wiki for GTA V says to avoid 'Assasination missions' until the post game. Are thise just Lester's missions or are they marked seperately on the map? I've already done 2 of Lester's missions.

They're Lester's missions, yeah. The first one is mandatory but you can save the rest until later.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Didn't see anything for Lord of the Ring: War in the North. Won't be doing co-op, and would be willing to listen if it's just not worth playing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Picked up Assassin's Creed IV and gently caress me there are a lot of collectibles! I've only just reached Havana, but I've spent a few hours already hunting down all the treasures and fragments and shanties and stuff.

My question is, are there rewards for doing this that are at all worth it? I'm not a completionist by nature, I really only like doing stuff like this if it will result in some interesting reward later on.

I know that "worth it" is subjective, so here's a rubric using AC 3's collectibles as an example:

Collecting the peg leg trinkets: There's not too many, and they result in fun missions, a costume, and a weapon. Worth it
Collecting the feathers: Takes forever, results in a dumb outfit and nothing else. Not worth it
Collecting the Almanac Pages: Doesn't take that long, but still only gives you a dumb reward (some animus entries and things to look at in a room). Not worth it
Completing the optional objectives for each mission: Infuratingly hard at times, gives you...? Not worth it!

I feel like I could spend forever hunting this stuff down, I'm just wondering if I should bother.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Didn't see anything for Lord of the Ring: War in the North. Won't be doing co-op, and would be willing to listen if it's just not worth playing.
Yeah, I think I'd just skip it if you're going to play solo; I reached a boss fight fairly early on where the AI companions became too much of a liability for me to keep playing. I suppose that if you're pretty good at this kind of game you might be able to forge on despite this, but I'll freely admit that I'm not and just couldn't be bothered as a result.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything for Mercenary Kings? I guess I'm out of the beginning of it -- I'm playing missions at the second rank, and have unlocked some weapons and am about ready to craft some mods. Some things still remain a mystery to me, though, like where it's best to farm for certain rare drops, and what I do with these "rp" points (rank points?) that I seem to be accumulating. And what exactly triggers new weapons and mods being craftable (is it just moving up to the next rank of missions)? Any other tips to keep in mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything for Mercenary Kings?

-There's a list of enemies and useful item drop locations in this Steam guide.

-No matter how much your weapon slows you down, rolling remains the same speed. Rolling also has a few invincibility frames at the very beginning.

-Rank Points go up as you finish missions and I'm pretty sure they cap at some points until you unlock the next rank by finishing primary missions.

-New weapons and parts become available as you unlock higher mission ranks. This is fine since higher rank missions usually drop the new materials needed.

-For missions that send you all over the map, like hostage rescue missions, remember you can use the radio to teleport back to the beginning.

-A medkit can be called in once per mission. The big red box it arrives in can also be used as a platform!

-To use other types of bullets, you'll have to combine gun parts to reach at least 100% in that type.