Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Can someone please explain why Ivin wants to put Eren in an "environment that will make him fret"? It feels like he wants him to do something in particular that I'm not cluing in on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Lump posted:

Can someone please explain why Ivin wants to put Eren in an "environment that will make him fret"? It feels like he wants him to do something in particular that I'm not cluing in on.

I think they are counting on the stress of seeing his friends in mortal danger to help awaken any other powers he might have. So far his powers only revealed themselves when he's in seriously deep poo poo so they're planning on turning up the heat to 11.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Just finished reading the Crunchyroll translation, and yeah, it seems to make a lot more sense than the first ones I saw go up. A few of the sentences seem to make a lot more sense or mean entirely different things now.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hazdoc posted:

Just finished reading the Crunchyroll translation, and yeah, it seems to make a lot more sense than the first ones I saw go up. A few of the sentences seem to make a lot more sense or mean entirely different things now.

Do you have a link for that? Cant find it on the website.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Elias_Maluco posted:

Do you have a link for that? Cant find it on the website.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/attack-on-titan/volumes
Not sure if you need premium to read the latest chapter, I don't think you do.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hazdoc posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/attack-on-titan/volumes
Not sure if you need premium to read the latest chapter, I don't think you do.

Looks like you do: it gives me a 404

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Elias_Maluco posted:

Looks like you do: it gives me a 404

I logged out completely and I was still able to read the most recent chapter, so that may just be an issue on your end.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hazdoc posted:

I logged out completely and I was still able to read the most recent chapter, so that may just be an issue on your end.

Well, thats really weird then. I tried in FF, chrome and even in an incognito window in chrome: I get a page not found.

If the URL is correct, it might be that they make it availiable only to certain countries.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Pensive posted:

Going with the theory that the titans where once some kind of weapon, I wonder if the troublesome trio's titans forms are actually what titan are supposed to look like and that what was weaponized was actually the transformation itself.

i.e at some point titans where some kind of tool, customized for each user for whatever purpose they needed it for. Then someone comes up with a way to forcibly transform people and then control them. That could be the reason why the feral titans are so random in appearance and capabilities. Ymir's monstrous appearance could be an extension of this, we know that she got her powers from the same place as the other three, but her first transformation may have been uncontrolled or missing some step, resulting in her 60 years as a feral titan.

There's probably some holes in this theory since we still know so little for certain about the Warriors.

I have a terrible feeling that it's going to be very anime and that "Warrior" is just a synonym for "someone with a really strong will" and only major characters can regain consciousness and choose/control their form. Everyone else just didn't want it enough :colbert: (which would be unfortunate and boring so let's hope not).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

I think they are counting on the stress of seeing his friends in mortal danger to help awaken any other powers he might have. So far his powers only revealed themselves when he's in seriously deep poo poo so they're planning on turning up the heat to 11.
Thanks!

Szmitten posted:

I have a terrible feeling that it's going to be very anime and that "Warrior" is just a synonym for "someone with a really strong will" and only major characters can regain consciousness and choose/control their form. Everyone else just didn't want it enough :colbert: (which would be unfortunate and boring so let's hope not).
I'm hoping it will be like Bleach and Hollows. To increase in evolution you need to consume your own kind.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Don't worry. After all, Bertholdt is a "warrior".

Bertholdt may have low self-esteem but he's got willpower. He's going to complete his mission whereas Reiner is the one who's wavering. Not to mention he's the one who broke down the walls twice, even though after the first time he genuinely felt horrible about it. Let's not forget "You bastards, I will kill you all!".

But yeah I kinda hope it doesn't go full anime with the "Warrior" synonym, but that may be what is happening. I wonder if Ymir was like a normal titan at one point?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Let's hope someone, anyone remembers about that loving basement at this point...

Like, seriously, now you've got some downtime and no titans running after you, investigate already! :colbert:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The basement will reveal their darkest, most terrible secret...

The titans are actually humans! :wth:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The basements gonna be full of empty dew and dorito refuse, along with a dust-covered gaming pc.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Let's hope someone, anyone remembers about that loving basement at this point...

Like, seriously, now you've got some downtime and no titans running after you, investigate already! :colbert:

They probably need that downtime to get back on their feet. Let's not forget the previous expedition was a major failure before the MP had to go out and get a bunch of their troops killed rescuing Eren.

Sure, Eren could probably keep a small group of fast-moving soldiers safe from regular Titans. But Aberrants are probably immune to his commands, the 'Warrior' tribe must already be preparing countermeasures against him, and God forbid them running into Ape Titan.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

I'm pretty sure its a japan -> chinese -> english translation

It's definitely Japanese -> English, but done by a Japanese person. Despite how common a mistake it is, many Japanese never seem to learn that "pan" is a French word for bread, not an English one. So when Sasha pockets a "pan" and then is later shown with bread, that's why.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That line is Sasha saying she was just taking a cooking pan and I will not believe otherwise.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

That line is Sasha saying she was just taking a cooking pan and I will not believe otherwise.

You mean a flying pan.

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked
Mangastream is up.

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan/51/2136/1

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Didn't Eren say something about retaking Wall Maria with his newfound titan commanding powers? Pretty sure he's just as determined as ever to get to the basement.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Suspicious Lump posted:

What a weird translation. A better way to put it would be that Eren does better when he's desperate. So by surrounding him with his friends who will die if he fucks up or doesn't have what it takes, they're hoping he'll have better results.

Shadow0 posted:

It's definitely Japanese -> English, but done by a Japanese person. Despite how common a mistake it is, many Japanese never seem to learn that "pan" is a French word for bread, not an English one. So when Sasha pockets a "pan" and then is later shown with bread, that's why.

There was no Japanese raw out at the time of that scanlation.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

What a weird translation. A better way to put it would be that Eren does better when he's desperate. So by surrounding him with his friends who will die if he fucks up or doesn't have what it takes, they're hoping he'll have better results.

"What Eren needs... Is an environment where he's able to become desperate." That's the line according to the crunchyroll translation.

It makes more sense.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
God, I'm so happy that there's a prompt, competent, official translation now.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Szmitten posted:

Annie said that she failed to become a "warrior" and she's pretty stong willed, I doubt it's anything as dumb as that. Seems more likely that it is a social cast/rank that you achieve in some way or another. At least that what I'm hoping for, since thealternative is kinda redundant. The human-Titans we've seen so far have been shits because of their dedication to a supposed mission, the because they are bad people.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, reading the new chapters is so much easier with a proper translation. I remember, with some fan translations, having to read over pages multiple times because I just could not understand what anybody was talking about.

I also loved the end of this chapter. Sasha especially made me laugh. :)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Most of the CR translation was better, but I rather liked that fan translation of Connie's epiphany. I guess I prefer the phrase "They knew. They knew what was happening, and frantically tried to cover it up" versus "So that's what it was, both of them knew, they knew what had happened, and they tricked everyone so we wouldn't figure it out." The former sounds so much more dejected and weighed down by the sheer enormity of the Grand Conspiracy, the latter worked it out on the spot.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And what happened to all the women titans? Why are they only like, 5-10% of the total titan population?
I think most of the titans are drawn androgynous or male so that Hajime can avoid having giant, naked woman roaming around.
Sexy titan boobs would not be a good look for what are supposed to be carnivorous monsters.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
So... why isn't Connie underground in a cell, surrounded by soldiers? Or being studied and/or dissected?

Every single person in his village turned. His family turned. Logically, they should suspect that he's going to turn in time as well. They finally have a living link to the titan birth process, and they're letting him chill with humanity's only hope, Eren. Connie is awesome, and I want only good things for that poor guy - but his life could always get shittier.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Squidster posted:

So... why isn't Connie underground in a cell, surrounded by soldiers? Or being studied and/or dissected?

Every single person in his village turned. His family turned. Logically, they should suspect that he's going to turn in time as well. They finally have a living link to the titan birth process, and they're letting him chill with humanity's only hope, Eren. Connie is awesome, and I want only good things for that poor guy - but his life could always get shittier.

Because he wasn't in the village when they all turned? They're probably assuming that someone did something to them to turn them all into titans right before the "invasion".

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Even if they wondered if titan-capability was hereditary, Connie's village wasn't even genetically isolated from the rest of the nation. All evidence pointed towards something location-specific that turned the village.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sasha's already forgotten about the potato incident but nobody else will let her live it down.

True to life, this.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Squidster posted:

Why aren't they doing that to Histora? Or torturing the poo poo out of the Wall Cult members? These fuckers knew a bunch of stuff about titans and did nothing while soldiers are off dying. The survey corps seems like they could probably grab a few wall cult members without anyone noticing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

Why aren't they doing that to Histora? Or torturing the poo poo out of the Wall Cult members? These fuckers knew a bunch of stuff about titans and did nothing while soldiers are off dying. The survey corps seems like they could probably grab a few wall cult members without anyone noticing.

The Survey Corps doesn't have much power within the walls; that power is all in the Royal Guard, as far as we can tell. And there's a reallllll good chance that they're somehow involved in all this to some degree.

The Survey Corps are taking it as slowly and careful as they can. They don't want to move their hand too quickly and lose all they've gained recently with recent revelations / Eren's abilities.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Erwin smiling was incredibly creepy and I don't even really know why (for certain) he was doing it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Terror Sweat posted:

Historia doesn't know anything, but I'm sure they're working on putting her and Pastor Nick in a room together. There isn't any point in being suspicious of her - she's valuable, but she doesn't present any risk. I'm sure the SC could kidnap priests and torture 'em, but that could have incredible blowback. The SC doesn't understand the nature of the wall conspiracy, so they can't even predict what form that blowback would take - riots? Titans? Poisoned potatoes?

But Connie is a scary unknown with no significant positives. Sure, he's a talented soldier and survivor, but humanity still has a bunch of those. When the villagers turned, none of them became intelligent, useful Titans. There's no chance of him becoming another Eren. If he turns, he's just going to be a dumber-than-average abnormal.

Option A) Assign Connie to Team Levi as valued friend.
Pro: He fights as well as any other soldier, and he boosts the morale of his squad.
Con: He could transform and eat everyone, dooming humanity.

Option B) Isolate and Study:
Pro: No chance of him hurting anyone. There's a tiny chance of learning about the Titanification process.
Con: Humanity loses a trusted soldier, Team Levi loses a friend for nothing, and our protagonists approach the Shinji Event Horizon of crushing sad.

Consider how little the SC knows about the process - this is the first ever provable origin of Titans. While I'm sure there's intermarriage between villages, it's probably safe to assume that most villages - especially remote ones - are still relatively isolated. All the Newborns transformed simultaneously in one location. If anything, the SC should be desperately trying to transform Connie. Feed him the local water, the local food, try everything possible to identify the vector that triggers the process.

We've seen hundreds of men and women die for the slightest scrap of information. The collective knowledge of the Survey Corps is written on the back of corpses, inked in the blood of martyrs. Would Erwin consider Connie's life more valuable than the secret of the Titans?

( but seriously, I love Connie and I don't want him taken out of the game. )

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't believe you're carrying on with this theory dude, Connie is just Connie. Everyone in his village was turned because they were there at that moment in time, not because their village is the secret spawner of Titans.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I don't think anyone has to worry about Connie, his titan form isn't much larger than a human.

:v:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Eej posted:

Erwin smiling was incredibly creepy and I don't even really know why (for certain) he was doing it.
Basically because he had the suspicion that what Hanji said was true all this time. Sort of a "It was this kind of poo poo all along"/mental breakdown kind of laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
I'm more curious about the fact that nobody has brought up the beast titan. Didn't they see him climb up the wall? Isn't that a pretty big problem??