Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Might (mass) makes right :eng101: People don't understand p=mv and if his m is bigger than yours, for any v greater than 5km/h you're pretty much hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Ever since the first freeze, the railroad crossing gates in my area haven't worked right. The one outside my office was down and signalling for about 36 hours, the cops left an unattended car with the lights going in front of it, and after not very long people were driving around the cruiser and snaking through the gates to get by. Apparently it was enough of a mess that the solution was to disable the gates entirely, at least for a few days. I had the joy of riding the train this weekend, and got to see the workaround: the train stops at every crossing, one conductor gets out and walks into the street trying to wave down the cars, and once it looks clear, the train pulls out. They're not given a vest, a flag, a sign, little flashlights with glowy cones, nothing.

On one intersection someone came peeling around the corner just as the train had started moving, and had the nerve to honk at the moving train as they sped in front of it. drat near hit the conductor, too.

This seems to happen with some frequency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhKOHRpOvI

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ijustam posted:

This seems to happen with some frequency.

Can you explain why any reasonable person who doesn't know anything about trains would not start making that turn when 1.) the gates went up 2.) the driver of the truck watched this happen as well as traffic going through the crossing 3.) the train is obviously stationary and has been the entire time he's been able to see the crossing 4.) the flagger hadn't even made it to the tarmac by the time he had come the a complete stop and then started moving again.

Some random person walking down the tracks where you may or may see a flag in their hand is not the kind of thing that would make me stop in this situation. Please explain where a normal person would not have started to proceed through that crossing, or where a sensible traffic controller/flagger would step into the road after watching an 80,000 lb vehicle bang out 3 gears in their direction rather than just pausing for 5 extra seconds before proceeding into the crossing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Beach Bum posted:

Might (mass) makes right :eng101: People don't understand p=mv and if his m is bigger than yours, for any v greater than 5km/h you're pretty much hosed.

E = 1/2 mv2 :eng101:

And yes, it sure as hell does, but that doesn't mean retards won't pretend you can bend the laws of physics to let them do whatever they want after they cut your rear end off doing 30mph slower than you.

To illustrate this a little better, one of my trucks doing 52mph (redline 5th) has almost exactly the same kinetic energy as another of my trucks doing 120mph. The slower one weighs around 5 times as much.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 6, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That looks like an integral of F=ma but I don't really remember physics. I was good at calculus though (maybe I even own at it ;) ).

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Motronic posted:

Can you explain why any reasonable person who doesn't know anything about trains would not start making that turn when 1.) the gates went up 2.) the driver of the truck watched this happen as well as traffic going through the crossing 3.) the train is obviously stationary and has been the entire time he's been able to see the crossing 4.) the flagger hadn't even made it to the tarmac by the time he had come the a complete stop and then started moving again.

Some random person walking down the tracks where you may or may see a flag in their hand is not the kind of thing that would make me stop in this situation. Please explain where a normal person would not have started to proceed through that crossing, or where a sensible traffic controller/flagger would step into the road after watching an 80,000 lb vehicle bang out 3 gears in their direction rather than just pausing for 5 extra seconds before proceeding into the crossing.

I'm with you on this. I can say that I would have gone in this situation. I mean, train is stopped, gates go up, I'm rolling out. Based on the angle that truck was approaching at, the driver probably didn't even see that flagger.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlesM posted:

That looks like an integral of F=ma but I don't really remember physics. I was good at calculus though (maybe I even own at it ;) ).
It's not. a(t) = dv/dt

Edit: It's the integral of momentum with respect to velocity. P = mv

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 6, 2013

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

xzzy posted:

Yep.. well I've tried. For much of the mid-west it's not gonna buy me anything. People who have chosen to cruise in the left lane don't give a poo poo what's happening in their mirrors.

Proper left lane usage doesn't really seem to become the norm until I get west of the Mississippi.

You can trip these zombie drivers up if you know what you are doing. It's part of what I call "herd theory". Basically I think maybe humans have some latent herd instinct that keeps up bunched up in groups subconsciously. You see this on the roads all the time when there are a bunch of cars all blobbed together going 5mph under the speed limit when there is wide open highway in front of them. Anyway, these zombie drivers that zone out in the left lane tend to be very susceptible to a technique I've developed over the years whereby I creep up alongside them in the right lane, this is tricky because if you come up too fast, they identify you as something not of the herd and because typically they're already pacing a car to the right of them. You have to become that car they're pacing for it to work, you have to be subtle. Anyway, once you become their pace, creep a fender-length or so in front of them and then simply lift off the gas. They'll slow down right with you. Then you can goose it and take their lane in front of them. Obviously the technique requires patience and plenty of uninterrupted road in front of you, but it works frequently enough to be more than coincidence in my estimation.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

E = 1/2 mv2 :eng101:

And yes, it sure as hell does, but that doesn't mean retards won't pretend you can bend the laws of physics to let them do whatever they want after they cut your rear end off doing 30mph slower than you.

To illustrate this a little better, one of my trucks doing 52mph (redline 5th) has almost exactly the same kinetic energy as another of my trucks doing 120mph. The slower one weighs around 5 times as much.

:cripes:

I have been out of the game for waaay too long.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

CharlesM posted:

We have our eye on you "Charles."

Dat Kush
Aug 21, 2007

presidential shit
Why is it that everytime someone wants to make an appointment with me for an oil change they go WELL WHAT DO YOU HAVE OPEN?

Me: Well, how about 2:00? Does that work for you?

No sorry I have fifteen thousand things to do at 2, not gonna work sorry....

me: Well how about tomorrow morning then?

Well I have to take the kids to school, get the dog washed, go to the library, go to target so.....no that's not gonna work either!

Repeat this merry go round of questions for about 20 minutes until they finally say ILL JUST CALL YOU NEXT WEEK

Great, thanks idiot

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Why can't you fix my car at 8 PM? Don't you know I have a life!?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Opposite of that: do you folks who work on other people's cars care or appreciate it when a customer (e.g. me) tells you to just keep the car for the rest of the week, no rush, work on it whenever? My usual mechanic seems happy to see me, but that could just be "don't let the customers know you hate them".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

8ender posted:

In Ontario I feel like we're right on the edge of it being socially acceptable to flash brights at someone doing this like they do in Europe. I've seen it done lots of times now and people seem to move over without any sort of drama or rage.

I really want this to be a thing because people passing on the right causes lots of near misses.

I have to think Alberta's still the reigning champion in the per-capita "assholes who can't use the left lane properly" rate. Apart from the usual idiots, I was driving out to BC last weekend with my Dad, and we came upon multiple people who decided they absolutely needed to be in the passing lane on the Trans-Canada (where, on certain stretches, you don't get them all that often). Several of them actually, upon moving into the right lane to let us pass (only about half of the people were bright enough to do this), resumed driving in the left-hand lane afterward.

We have "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs all along. What more do we need?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

PT6A posted:

I have to think Alberta's still the reigning champion in the per-capita "assholes who can't use the left lane properly" rate. Apart from the usual idiots, I was driving out to BC last weekend with my Dad, and we came upon multiple people who decided they absolutely needed to be in the passing lane on the Trans-Canada (where, on certain stretches, you don't get them all that often). Several of them actually, upon moving into the right lane to let us pass (only about half of the people were bright enough to do this), resumed driving in the left-hand lane afterward.

As an Albertan, I just want to point out that you are in the left lane already when the passing lane begins, so why waste gas and tire tread moving over?

(Yeah I don't know, I always pull over unless I'm passing someone)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

CharlesM posted:

The more signs are posted, the less people will read them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ijustam posted:

This seems to happen with some frequency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhKOHRpOvI

Train stopped at a level crossing, with gates up, yeah, I'm going through that too.

How many people, myself included, know that a random person with a flag means, hey, the train gets to go through here without dropping the super obvious and infinitely safer gates across the tracks?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If I saw a dude standing in the street waving a flag I'd assume something was up. Certainly my first instinct wouldn't be to swerve around him while laying on the horn.

I'd also point out that on the train I was on, unlike that video where the train stopped a few carlengths from the crossing, they were pulling up all the way to where they were blocking the sidewalk, which seems far less ambiguous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret:

You too can own calculus!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That didn't get me through Calculus and Analytical Geometry because the jerk professor wouldn't let us use calculators on most of the tests t:mad:

It did however get me through statistics and a bunch of other math type courses. Also some non math courses where it helped me to be really good at remembering stuff during tests somehow :iiam:.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Very funny.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't mind these. I know how they work. People in metro Phoenix? Not so much. It's two lanes. STOP CUTTING ACROSS IT AND PUTTING ME IN PANIC MODE EVERY SINGLE DAY. Look! Google Maps even has someone doing right then and there!

That is the most assbutt thing i've ever seen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think that existed when I took calculus.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't mind these. I know how they work. People in metro Phoenix? Not so much. It's two lanes. STOP CUTTING ACROSS IT AND PUTTING ME IN PANIC MODE EVERY SINGLE DAY. Look! Google Maps even has someone doing right then and there!

I...how is this supposed to work? :ohdear:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Shut eyes, accelerate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

If I saw a dude standing in the street waving a flag I'd assume something was up. Certainly my first instinct wouldn't be to swerve around him while laying on the horn.

I'd also point out that on the train I was on, unlike that video where the train stopped a few carlengths from the crossing, they were pulling up all the way to where they were blocking the sidewalk, which seems far less ambiguous.

The flagman (woman, I think, actually) hadn't reached the road when the truck started to make the turn; she had the flag rolled up down near her hip, not extended or anything, and wasn't making waving motions; the train was stopped; the gates were up; several cars had already gone through. She starts waving the flag afterwards, but hadn't done so when the truck started to move (after coming to a complete stop I'd add).

Furthermore, the truck probably is not legally allowed to stop once it's started towards the tracks (to say nothing of how stupid it would be to do so anyway), the swerving was to avoid the person who had walked out into the middle of the roadway after the truck started in, and the horn was from the train, not the truck.

I would call that whole thing a completely bizarre and improper flag procedure and a truck driver doing the best he could to interpret the situation.

e: if you read the video description it's essentially just some trainspotting autist going "trains rule, cars drool"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 9, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

Doesn't stop the 200+ km/h VERY IMPORTANT BUSINESSMEN from flashing their brights like there's no tomorrow at anyone they deem to be impeding their VERY IMPORTANT DRIVING.

This explains why my mutual friends in the UK and I had to conclude that the French had better lane discipline than the Germans these days. I would have thought the Germans would at least have given deference to my car, being locally built and fairly special and all at that, but no - I had to ride rear end for miles to get Herr Scheißekasten to yield the left lane.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I got by with a TI-84, I believe. Maybe an 86? I finally got an 89 when I took Circuits since the professor said we would do very poorly without a calculator to quickly solve matrices.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
We had to do everything manually for calculus. Pen and paper. Nothing else. I was lucky enough to have a proper mathematician for a lecturer who could actually teach. Looks like he's been in the game for a while too.
I just searched for him and found an article he wrote for SMH which has the old name for CSU.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=RNRYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HOUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5082%2C5558906

Dude really loves him some math.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I swear, every time I use this loving intersection, someone either runs the N/W light and nearly t-bones me, or E/W decides "oh green light, that means I can pull out in front of oncoming traffic even when they're obviously going straight".

":wtf: Lady!" didn't even look my way despite the horn and tire squeals (and her windows were open, there's no way she didn't hear horn + squealing tires), and the Lexus behind her was obviously trying to follow her through the intersection. The E/W direction does not have any form of protected turn, it's either green, or turn right on red. Nothing else.

The best part: I've come drat close to t-boning several cops at this intersection. There's a police substation next door to the library (and I'm at the library 2-3x a week). You'd think the city would at least hang a "No protected turn" sign or some poo poo, since there's an assload of accidents at that intersection... IIRC it's on the top 10 list of intersections w/accidents for the whole city. :sigh:

Before you bark about speed - I was doing a little over 20 when I hit the intersection. Posted speed limit is 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cpZmbwQdg

When I'm doing delivery, the intersection in the next clip is a serious pain in the rear end. It goes from 3 lanes when you're headed east to 5 lanes at the light (and one of the 3 lanes starts about 250 ft before the intersection) - there is literally no legal way to change into the turning lanes (TX doesn't allow lane changes in an intersection). I usually grab the inside lane if I can, as the turning lanes are striped to give me 2 lanes to choose from. This is one of those "3-10x a week" things for me at this loving intersection. So far I've had two hit and runs at this intersection before I had a cam, thankfully both were minor enough that it was just some scuffing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg04jgVPROI

e: meanwhile, on my way home last night with the cruise set at 85 (70 mph road where traffic normally does 80-85)

I only got around to fixing the clock a few hours ago, everything I've posted in the past week is an hour into the future

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 10, 2013

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Throatwarbler posted:

I...how is this supposed to work? :ohdear:

I didn't want to say anything in case I looked like an idiot, but, yeah, that's not a roundabout design that makes any sense, unless I'm really missing something.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Whoop whoop, that looked about 110-120. What was that, a BMW?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Well, it's not much but there's a person driving a Yaris or something that seems to have a deathwish. They've nearly been splattered in the main street reversing out from the angle parking a couple of times that I've seen. Logically this means it happens a lot.

First time they start reversing out when there's a semi bearing down on them. Lots of honking and brake locking ensued. They pulled in a little. As soon as the truck had passed they continued to reverse out again without looking. This time it was a car that nearly ate them. I've had to swerve a couple or times to dodge this person too.
How is it people like this seem to have pristine cars? I mean my cars even cop damage when they are stationary. Parked in the same street, a tradie was wandering a long with a long piece of wood with nails removed from a renovation. He's not paying attention. It swings and hits the front of my car leaving a nice dimple and taking off paint. He doesn't even slow down, the dickbag. Wasn't anything I could really do about the whole thing either :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

General_Failure posted:

How is it people like this seem to have pristine cars?

New/replacement cars are delivered in pretty good condition.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Michael Scott posted:

Whoop whoop, that looked about 110-120. What was that, a BMW?

Lexus.

120 would be a conservative guess.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

PT6A posted:

I didn't want to say anything in case I looked like an idiot, but, yeah, that's not a roundabout design that makes any sense, unless I'm really missing something.

The feeders and outlets are probably all one-way streets.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

some texas redneck posted:

e: meanwhile, on my way home last night with the cruise set at 85 (70 mph road where traffic normally does 80-85)

I only got around to fixing the clock a few hours ago, everything I've posted in the past week is an hour into the future

Just wait until you see that, but they are on the wrong side of the interstate heading right at you.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

some texas redneck posted:

I think you're overreacting a tad bit there, unless there's danger I'm not seeing in the video. He's maybe doing 110. On a nearly empty, well-lit freeway, with plenty of visibility. In conditions like those I will have no problem with passing or being passed deep into triple digits and think nothing of it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have to agree, that road is drat near empty. Breaking the law? Definitely. Endangering anyone aside from himself? Most likely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I agree, it's only the consequences for my licence that prevent me cruising at a ton-twenty in those conditions.