Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

What's the final word on Chuck?

It's pretty decent up to the final season, which a lot of people here seemed to like but I thought was total crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

precision posted:

Watch the first two seasons of Chuck and pretend the rest never happened. The finale is actually pretty good, though.
This, but ditch the finale. Constantly being threatened with getting cancelled and having your season shortened and lengthened doesn't do a lot of good for the quality of a show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

Watch the first two seasons of Chuck and pretend the rest never happened. The finale is actually pretty good, though.

See, that's not fair, because the finale takes into account everything that happened over the entire series, good and bad.

It absolutely gets divisive after the second season (personally I enjoyed the whole run), but on the whole, it's worth watching and forming your own opinion over.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think Chuck's getting added to Netflix Instant next month, too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Actually it's already there!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

I think Chuck's getting added to Netflix Instant next month, too.

Its already up. Speaking of Netflix and Raising Hope, they recently added last season as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, well if you have Netflix then yeah form your own opinion, but in my mind what starkly contrasts seasons 1-2 with 3-5 is that season 3 is when the show became self-aware, used a lot more things that should have been quirky one-offs instead of running gags (the nerd guys' cover band) - what I guess I'm dancing around is the "F" word.

Fanservice. :nyoron:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Getting renewed each season that it did in itself was fanservice so I don't know why you're being so delicate.

This Chuck post brought to you by Subway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
In retrospect I think had Chuck ended at the season 3.0 finale (Chuck vs. The Other Guy, which was pretty much a straight up series finale) it would be remembered as one of the great shortish television runs ever. It was still mostly good and enjoyable then (and the Chuck vs. The Honeymooners episode after the one I'm talking about is actually one of the better one-offs they did), but it started retreading ground fairly heavily and there were a few storylines that directly undercut the emotional impact of some of the "glory days" stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I stopped watching Chuck somewhere early in season four as I just completely lost interest in it. After hearing about what happened in the rest of that season and the next I feel like I made the right decision.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The quality completely cratered at some point. I can't remember where exactly that was, but God Almighty how the writing sucked by the end.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ufarn posted:

The quality completely cratered at some point. I can't remember where exactly that was, but God Almighty how the writing sucked by the end.

I think it's when they resurrected Shaw - that's kind of the line where everything after that was either derivative or bad plotting. I still largely enjoyed watching it but it went from something that was probably legitimately the best show on broadcast for awhile into a guilty pleasure.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, but it's mostly because of what jeffersonlives was talking about in that the show had some false finales due to being on the brink of cancellation so many times. When you try to write yourself to a conclusion only to have to pull up at the last minute a few times it's eventually going to bite you in the rear end and it finally caught up with Chuck. In my mind the show should have ended in season three, but that's because I did think it felt like a logical end to the story. I gave it a little time in season four to convince me and it didn't happen so I jumped ship.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

It never got to the "I no longer enjoy watching this television program" point for me. I still enjoyed spending 42 minutes a week with that set of characters. But it got really bait and switchy there, definitely.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Chuck really suffered when the writers decided that exploring the mythology of the spy world and how Chuck's family was connected to it was a good idea.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Season 4 is a bit hammy and iffy but it fits in with the previous seasons. Until the last episode where it all goes downhill leading into the terribly plotted 5th season.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think the family critique is dead-on in how literally everyone mentioned gets introduced at some point like some cheesy soap

One thing that was got increasingly interesting even through the bad seasons was seeing Yvonne Strahovski's comedic acting improve over the years. She got some great comedic timing by the end, and I think she really helped make this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBehoHATZhc

(Bonus points for Spartacus's Naevia guest starring.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Maybe it's just me but I'm of the opinion that Chuck was always just 'okay.'

It certainly was never;

jeffersonlives posted:

the best show on broadcast

I mean, really, Chuck? Not Friday Night Lights or 30 Rock, two shows airing on the same network?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It had its moments, and the steep decline in quality probably makes a lot look like Made Men by comparison.

You'd have to really love Jeffster.

It bothers me that Yvonne Strahovski still hasn't had an opportunity to show what a great actress she is. She was so drat good on Chuck.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ufarn posted:

It had its moments, and the steep decline in quality probably makes a lot look like Made Men by comparison.

It bothers me that Yvonne Strahovski still hasn't had an opportunity to show what a great actress she is. She was so drat good on Chuck.

She was really awful in Dexter.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ufarn posted:

I never liked any of the Buy More staff, including Morgan right at the start - they just dragged the show down into pointless poo poo every time they showed up.

ufarn posted:

She showed everyone how great she can be in the last season of Dexter so hopefully she never gets hired for another major role again.

I think what Chuck showed is that she looks great and doesn't mind prancing around in her underwear.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I mean, really, Chuck? Not Friday Night Lights or 30 Rock, two shows airing on the same network?

When you say it like that, CHUCK may be the greatest show of the past thirty years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Buy More segments existed solely to sell advertisements and keep the show on the air.

Also I thought Adam Baldwin was one of the Baldwin brothers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ufarn posted:

I think the most work she or Awesome have gotten since Chuck was a voice acting role on one of those terrible Lego TV movies.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

She showed everyone how great she can be in the last season of Dexter so hopefully she never gets hired for another major role again.

Let's be fair: it was Dexter. The number of actors who escaped that show looking good can be counted on one hand.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivisionPost posted:

Let's be fair: it was Dexter. The number of actors who escaped that show looking good can be counted on one hand.

John Lithgow and ?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

John Lithgow and ?

The chief from season 1? Jimmy Smits was not too bad either.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

This is true, but she did come across looking considerably worst than most.

I mean, if she was a "great actress" who was "drat good" on a show as undemanding as Chuck she should've been able to muster something more than whatever I'd call her performance on Dexter.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Friday Night Lights wasn't a first-run broadcast show by the time Chuck really advanced to that level, a lot of stuff had just went off the air (The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, etc.), Lost was already off the rails, Grey's was a few seasons past the crazy stuff, The Good Wife doesn't show up until fall 2009...yeah, I think Chuck's in the mix for a bit there. It's really competing against sitcoms only (Office, 30 Rock, maybe HIMYM) in the 2008 area for me, and hour dramedies are always going to have structural advantages. That was a bleak time for hour dramas too, the strike really did a number on both that new year of dramas and then the next year's pilots.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When Erik King was killed off is when my interest in Dexter largely died.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Deadpool posted:

When Erik King was killed off is when my interest in Dexter largely died.

Oh how I wish I had your ability to cut shows loose, Deadpool. :sigh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Friday Night Lights wasn't a first-run broadcast show by the time Chuck really advanced to that level, a lot of stuff had just went off the air (The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, etc.), Lost was already off the rails, Grey's was a few seasons past the crazy stuff, The Good Wife doesn't show up until fall 2009...yeah, I think Chuck's in the mix for a bit there. It's really competing against sitcoms only (Office, 30 Rock, maybe HIMYM) in the 2008 area for me, and hour dramedies are always going to have structural advantages. That was a bleak time for hour dramas too, the strike really did a number on both that new year of dramas and then the next year's pilots.

I just don't think Chuck was ever a particularly notable series - Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Friday Night Lights were all airing at one point during its run, three of the greatest dramas ever.

For lighter dramatic/genre shows you had Fringe, Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Terminator.

On the comedy side, you had 30 Rock, Community, The Office, Scrubs, Pysch and Parks and Rec airing as well.

Maybe I could see the argument for it being one of the best shows that started in 2007, but definitely not much past that.

jeffersonlives posted:

This. I watch way too many shows and once I've started I can't stop. Smallville, Dexter and Charmed are my biggest regrets - I figure I liked less than half of their entire run time and I stayed with them to the final episode.

Maybe Chuck was as good as your saying and I'm just being colored by my memory of the final seasons.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 10, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

A bunch of those shows either weren't on broadcast (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Psych), came on in 2009 after when you can make a plausible case for Chuck (TVD, Community), or some combination (FNL switched to cable, Parks and Rec technically overlapped but the first season was terrible). So yeah I'm definitely taking Chuck over like season 2 of Friday Night Lights and Supernatural, other people can disagree of course.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

jeffersonlives posted:

I dunno. I somehow managed to slog through all of Smallville hanging on for the couple of characters I liked and largely ignoring the others I loathed.

Volvo of Despair
Nov 19, 2005
Now with 100% less Trent Reznor!
Once they decided that Morgan should have the intersect in his head that pretty much sealed it for me that I didn't want to watch the show anymore.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Volvo of Despair posted:

Once they decided that Morgan should have the intersect in his head that pretty much sealed it for me that I didn't want to watch the show anymore.
Ungh, spoilers are now trigger warnings. I'd repressed stupid plotlines like that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ufarn posted:

Ungh, spoilers are now trigger warnings. I'd repressed stupid plotlines like that.

I went to Wikipedia to look at season 5 stuff and got reminded that loving Shaw came back one more time in season 5 after being disposed of not once but twice by our heroes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

I think the most work she or Awesome have gotten since Chuck was a voice acting role on one of those terrible Lego TV movies.

She was in a whole season of Dexter then came back for about half of the next one, and co-stars in I, Frankenstein.

It's only been 2 years since Chuck ended.

But yeah Captain Awesome hasn't done much.

(Also that Lego movie came out during Chuck's run.)

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

But yeah Captain Awesome hasn't done much.

I still think he should have landed that one big role he was up for, some old guy that looks a lot younger named Steve Rogers :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

PriorMarcus posted:

This. I watch way too many shows and once I've started I can't stop. Smallville, Dexter and Charmed are my biggest regrets - I figure I liked less than half of their entire run time and I stayed with them to the final episode.

I'd add Entourage and Weeds to the mix.

• Locked thread