Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

The Joe Man posted:

Unimaginably lazy.

Definitely disagree on this one. DiMaggio does an excellent job as the Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Uh, the voice acting in Under the Red Hood is by and large amazing and DiMaggio sells most of his lines very well (For the rather short time he's in the movie). I mean, in general it's very hard to not find a good voice with the Joker, he's a character that can be interpreted in a multitude of ways so just about any voice works really except Brent Spiner's.

Brent Spiner was great as Puck in Gargoyles - I could imagine that voice as something close to the Joker.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Darke GBF posted:

Definitely disagree on this one. DiMaggio does an excellent job as the Joker.

I am with you here. This wasn't the manic almost freindly Joker of Hamil, this was a more menacing and dangerous version.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah with the tone of the movie, I've definitely got to say DiMaggio played a good Joker that fit the movie.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Is there any way to play as Joker more than just that one part in the story? Cos that was loving fun.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

No, but I sincerely hope that they bust out some DLC that adds Joker as a playable character, if only for brawl challenges. Because a joy-buzzer combo takedown is loving cool.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
His entire moveset was really cool.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Joker's moveset felt like it was taken straight from the ps3 exclusive "Play as Joker" materials in Arkham Asylum.

I went into Origins hoping it'd be something like Splinter Cell's Pandora Tomorrow - which was basically splinter cell 1.5. Kept a lot of the features but also tweaked a few mechanics and created a totally different but interesting style of level design.

Instead, Origins pilfers straight from City, with the only new "additions" either unbalancing the gameplay (shock gloves) or adding dull busywork (Riddler Towers).

There's a lot of things that City tried to do that didn't quite work - but it felt BIG AND EPIC AND AMBITIOUS.

Origins largely shanks the easy "Fun to play but not original" shot too. The bugs, the retreads, the long list of niggling flaws that all add up to a significantly weaker game.

And yet, its clear the guys at WB Montreal aren't entirely a lost cause. The script is derivative (stealing rather well from The Nolan Films to The Killing Joke etc.) but tonally consistent, with a few memorable sections.

I liked all of the new combat enemies, especially the martial artists and Venom thugs. They mixed up the combat in a logical way - shame to see there was so few opportunities to fight them.

And I liked all of the Crime Scene sidequests, focusing on an area that Rocksteady largely just paid small homage to.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Their crime sidequests were GREAT! The enemy variety was wonderful, but there were far too many special thugs included in the fights coupled with the janky targeting. I loved that fight outside the Joker's lair in Asylum. Loved the sprinkling of 20+ fights in City, but even a simple 10 thug fight turned into a chore because you had two guys with shields and another two in armor and the knife guy just attacked from off screen and there goes your combo, but it didn't matter anyway because you hadn't opened the Shiva quest for Disarm&Destroy yet anyways. Special thugs are spice. Use too many and you ruin the dish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I started my I Am The Night run and on the GCPD roof several of the guys I was stalking suddenly were facing me and opening fire as I started to use Silent Takedown, and I ended up finishing up that section with only a single bar of life left :stare:

I decided that was a good place to call it. I assume that I can do JUST the story missions in I Am The Night and I'll get the achievement? I'd hate to die on one of the optional bosses.

Edit: And hey, while Origins isn't as good as Asylum and City, there must be something right about it because I do feel that same urge to do everything possible in the game like I did with the others. It didn't really hit me till today that I've already put 75+ hours into the game.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Kilson posted:

Brent Spiner was great as Puck in Gargoyles - I could imagine that voice as something close to the Joker.

No no no... he was Joker on Young Justice I believe and all he tried to do was a crummy Heath Ledger take. Reaaaaal crummy. DiMaggio was good and he wasn't trying to be Hamil (which anyone who does at this point is nuts) his Joker fit that story pretty well. Michael McKean and Jeff Bennett both did really good Dick Sprang era Jokers in an episode of TBAS and Brave and the Bold respectively.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Commissar Ken posted:

No no no... he was Joker on Young Justice I believe and all he tried to do was a crummy Heath Ledger take. Reaaaaal crummy. DiMaggio was good and he wasn't trying to be Hamil (which anyone who does at this point is nuts) his Joker fit that story pretty well. Michael McKean and Jeff Bennett both did really good Dick Sprang era Jokers in an episode of TBAS and Brave and the Bold respectively.

Origins has a great Hamilesque Joker, and it is better for it. I have no problem with people basically using Hamil as a model for their Joker because Joker is essentially a cartoon character in the same way Optimus Prime, Popeye, and Daffy Duck are. He basically has a voice thanks to Hamil and the only time going off model would work is if the Joker being portrayed is, himself, somehow "off model" like Heath Ledger. I'd say DiMaggio's Joker was pretty Hamilesque, just a lot deeper, but I liked it well enough.

I really hope the next Arkham game basically adapts Under the Red Hood in addition to Hush. Then we can get some crazy Red Hood maps/challenges/story mode stuff.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

ToastyPotato posted:

Origins has a great Hamilesque Joker, and it is better for it. I have no problem with people basically using Hamil as a model for their Joker because Joker is essentially a cartoon character in the same way Optimus Prime, Popeye, and Daffy Duck are. He basically has a voice thanks to Hamil and the only time going off model would work is if the Joker being portrayed is, himself, somehow "off model" like Heath Ledger. I'd say DiMaggio's Joker was pretty Hamilesque, just a lot deeper, but I liked it well enough.

I really hope the next Arkham game basically adapts Under the Red Hood in addition to Hush. Then we can get some crazy Red Hood maps/challenges/story mode stuff.

I don't think this is true at all. There have been many portrayals and interpretations of Joker of the years, Hamill is just one of them. A very good one but certainly not the 'definitive one'. I can't imagine Joker from 'A Serious House on Serious Earth' (also called Arkham Asylum), being voiced by Hamill. Or the Joke in Dark Knight Returns. I think the 'The Killing Joke' Joker would be well-served by Hamill though.

I thought DiMaggio worked for Red Hood, but was very far removed from Hamil's joker.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Emerson's Joker in Returns was pretty interesting as well I thought. Took a while to get used to Weller as Batman though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

bonds0097 posted:

I don't think this is true at all. There have been many portrayals and interpretations of Joker of the years, Hamill is just one of them. A very good one but certainly not the 'definitive one'. I can't imagine Joker from 'A Serious House on Serious Earth' (also called Arkham Asylum), being voiced by Hamill. Or the Joke in Dark Knight Returns. I think the 'The Killing Joke' Joker would be well-served by Hamill though.

I thought DiMaggio worked for Red Hood, but was very far removed from Hamil's joker.

I know, which is why I made the "off model" comment. The vast majority of Joker portrayals in comics for the last 25+ years have been within a model that a Hamilesque performance simply works perfectly for. The Arkham games and BTAS were also within that model, despite being different from each other. I'd say Red Hood Joker is also within the model (since it is based on a main continuity comic story) and while DiMaggio obviously doesn't sound like Hamil, he's also not doing anything with the portrayal that Hamil wouldn't have done, since this this Joker was basically written well within the expected model for the character.

Emerson was great for DKR, but that Joker is also pretty different from the established "basic" Joker model we've had for decades. Ditto for Heath Ledger.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Hamill's not the definitive Joker even if he is the most beloved voice for him. Much like how Kevin Conroy is basically the favorite Batman voice, but very few of the succeeding voices are actually inspired by him. I'd prefer it if everyone did their own take on a character rather than ape someone else's style, no matter how good said style is. For instance, Kevin Michael Richardson did a fantastic job as the Joker in The Batman. He doen't sound even remotely similar and his voice is pretty deep, but he's able to convey a wide range of emotion and styles because he knows what the character is. The only problem with The Batman's Joker is his design unfortunately which turns a lot of people off to that version.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Welp, figured i'd give new game+ a go to get the last of the predator challenges but then the game freezes/crashes whilst saving and i lose everything i've done from the first predator room in the penguin's ship all the way to returning to the batcave to pick up the concussion grenade.

gently caress this buggy mess.

I've sank countless hours into the PC versions of both previous Arkham games and never once hit anything like this.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wait... that's it? That's the end of the game? 31% done, with most of my time played being on Riddler/other side-villain stuff... and that's it?! Holy poo poo. Arkham Origins is the shortest game in the series. So...Bane was the final boss, then. That's unbelievably lame. The first half is a literal rehash of the earlier fight, and the second half isn't even a fight. You just sneak around an area against a monster too dumb to check any hiding spots and get like 5 back attacks in. Joker's not a boss as there is no fight. With the moves he did during his combat sequence, I wanted an actual loving Batman vs Joker rear end-kicking match, ya know? The one time these chumps could've made their stupid counter-heavy boss fights work and they didn't do it.

That said... it was nice hearing Troy Baker get a little singing in. Am I getting him confused with another high profile VA, or was he the one that had a band? I recall Joel saying in Last of Us that he played guitar, but he never sang in that one, right?

So... unbelievably short, still haven't encountered a couple assassins (lazy bums), combat is clunkier than the other two games, yet another lackluster finale (which seem to be a series bulletpoint now), glue grenades on the water, and a really nice version of Cold Cold Heart. :v:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Scyantific posted:

Did you get a comm from Gordon after that? That should have been the last one needed.

Don't recall getting that, guess I have at least one more crime scene.

Magnusaur
Dec 18, 2012
There's definetely something with the timing of counters that seems off. Maybe it was the intention of the developers to illustrate how Batman is less experienced and thus not nearly as agile or responsive. Then again, same developers apparently felt like we needed more Batclaw-rafting. And with glue grenades, no less.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't recall getting that, guess I have at least one more crime scene.

That was my last crime scene and I did get the call from Gordon. Did you do the Deadshot most wanted yet? That has a crime scene in it that may count towards the casefile completion.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

redbackground posted:

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths is pretty great, and James Woods is PERfectly cast as alternate-earth Batman.

I also enjoyed Superman vs. The Elite. It's got a different art style to it and Superman's chin seems to grow larger and larger every scene, but I enjoyed Robin Atkins Downes as Manchester Black. There's a really great scene where Superman just goes "gently caress it" and doesn't hold his full power back.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I gotta admit, I pretty much marathoned both Asylum and City right before Origins came out as I didn't own the games before, and especially with City, I can see how Origins gets compared unfavourably in regards to quite a few things. Even though there probably was a little too many filler optionals to find in City, it generally felt more rewarding, a fair few optional encounters I missed my first time were really quite interesting, and well, this time I DID notice something different about the combat compared to Origins, where my relative inexperience translated well into the new timings.

Still having fun with the MP, enough to consider an effortpost of sorts about it, but it already seems really hard to find a game on the PC and from what I hear here, seems the consoles are no different.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Soonmot posted:

t it didn't matter anyway because you hadn't opened the Shiva quest for Disarm&Destroy yet anyways. Special thugs are spice. Use too many and you ruin the dish.

Shive is critical hits. You get disarm and destroy from Bird. Which is goddamn stupid since you can only get that most wanted in the final act of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really do not understand how so many people depend on Disarm and Destroy to the point they are incapable of functioning without it. If you have a takedown to use D&D, you can use any other takedown. Default Takedown also works on armed enemies. All it does is keep their weapons in play so you may have to use it again later. With the new Double Takedown feature you can even just use a Power Explosive right into multi-Batarang takedown to defeat half the map in a single attack.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Finally got to the Deadshot most wanted, and I intended to use this encounter to get rank 6 of Worst Nightmare, but I'm hosed.

I can't get the explosive gel takedown to work. Because of the stupid proximity upgrade, the wall explodes when someone is barely within range, so all it does is knock them back, then they get up five seconds later. I know it's one of the "stronger"/brick walls that does result in a real knockdown, because I used the other wall right next to it in the first bank encounter for a knockdown and it worked. I tried putting it on one side and using a sonic batarang top lure them to the other side, but it still blows too early and just knocks them back a few feet.

gently caress you, developers. Now it seems I have to start over on NG+ to finish this track.

Which reminds me of a question:

I know that the challenge tracks start off where you left off in the first story when you start NG+, but then it does transfer back over? That is to say, I start NG+, get to a point where I can do rank 6, do it, can I then go back to my original story that's just doing side missions and finish off the Worst Nightmare track there, or am I doomed to HAVE to finish it in NG+?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 11, 2013

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sober posted:

Took a while to get used to Weller as Batman though.

Robocop has been Batman for a long time though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

I really do not understand how so many people depend on Disarm and Destroy to the point they are incapable of functioning without it. If you have a takedown to use D&D, you can use any other takedown. Default Takedown also works on armed enemies. All it does is keep their weapons in play so you may have to use it again later. With the new Double Takedown feature you can even just use a Power Explosive right into multi-Batarang takedown to defeat half the map in a single attack.

It's not that I can't function without it, it's that the animations for Disarm and Destroy are so loving satisfying

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Oh yeah someone mentioned the explosive gel upgrade, I swear it didn't auto detonate unless you were in trouble. It's hard to lure a few thugs into a trap when it auto detonates on the first one arriving. Was that always the case with AA/AC? I swear if you weren't in combat during a predator room it would just flash up the "hostiles" in proximity (in AC anyway).

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Stairmaster posted:

Robocop has been Batman for a long time though.

That doesn't seem real at all but on the off chance it is I MUST read it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

With the new Double Takedown feature you can even just use a Power Explosive right into multi-Batarang takedown to defeat half the map in a single attack.

I was doing one of the challenge maps (the one outside Blackgate prison) and managed to take down something like 95% of the thugs with an explosive gel/multi-Batarang takedown combo and it just felt so loving satisfying. There were like three guys left standing and their 20 friends were just all KOed in the space of a few seconds.

Also, does anybody else absolutely hate the Overflow and Overflow Extreme challenges? That crowded little space just infuriates me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Commissar Ken posted:

That doesn't seem real at all but on the off chance it is I MUST read it.

Unfortunately it's a fake. The real B&TB issue 111 is Baman and The Joker.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Jesus christ, gently caress this Deadshot encounter.

I can sort of reliably get the 4 exotic takedowns...hardest part is that the gel only takes down the guy maybe half the time, but I try for it first and just restart if it doesn't.

But the second/third portion when he takes the guy hostage? It always ends RIGHT AWAY and says I was seen even though I wasn't. Like...it's counting the fact that I was just bearing him up before he runs to the hostage as being seen...WTF?! So I have to NOT beat him up before then? How do I know when to stop? It's been five times now...and considering it resets my challenges, I have to keep trying for the 4 exotic takedowns every time so I've been stuck on this thing for over an hour. :mad:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Don't do beatdowns in that fight stick to silent takedowns on him at all times the beatdowns just lead to issues.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Jerusalem posted:

Also, does anybody else absolutely hate the Overflow and Overflow Extreme challenges? That crowded little space just infuriates me.

Definitely the hardest for me.

The challenge maps, especially the earlier ones, seem to be a lot tougher to meet the medal requirements than in City where you could get scores ridiculously higher than required with ease.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
For the person asking about I Am the Night Mode and 100% completion:

I Am the Night Mode does not count toward 100% completion.

Also, while playing through New Game+ I spotted this in the base of the bridge during the Firefly segment.

In Arkham City it probably just would have been a riddle. Anyway, who the gently caress are the Court of Owls?

edit: Isn't there a way to spoiler images? I could swear I've seen spoiler tagged images before...

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 11, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

THE CHORSE posted:

For the person asking about I Am the Night Mode and 100% completion:

I Am the Night Mode does not count toward 100% completion.

Well poo poo, then why is my save on 99% :shepface:

THE CHORSE posted:

In Arkham City it probably just would have been a riddle. Anyway, who the gently caress are the Court of Owls?

I haven't read the story myself, but I know they appeared in a somewhat recent Batman cross-over event, so it looks like a pretty neat easter egg/reference.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Well poo poo, then why is my save on 99% :shepface:

May very well be a bug.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Orv posted:

May very well be a bug.

In this game? I dunno...

Adbot