Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
My kid was tongue-tied too. He had the same weight loss and milk transfer issue. Once his ties were fixed I won't say everything was perfect immediately, but it was way better. He's going to be 4 months Friday, now exclusively breastfed, but I did have to supplement in the beginning. If she is indeed tied, try and find someone as soon as possible to fix it.

Feel free to PM me if you want any info. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Thank you for the encouragement. :) We saw the lactation consultant tonight and she thinks Allison might be tongue tied, so I'll be calling the doctor tomorrow to get that figured out. We also tested how much she was getting from a feeding, and it only turned out to be like .2 ounces per side. I'll start some fenugreek tomorrow, as well as eating oatmeal every day. When she's hungry now, I'll nurse first, then formula, then pump. We'll go back Friday to weigh her again.

Since I've had a baby and started paying attention to stuff like this I'm surprised at how common tongue ties are! If that is the case for you they are usually pretty easily fixed! Good luck!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I know there are a lot of moms on here who've said it's like night and day after a tongue tie is fixed :) I'm happy for you that it's potentially figured out!

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Soulex posted:

I have learned that Hormones are the Devil. It doesnt matter what I do, its not enough. Even if I am right I am wrong. But these are rare moments.

Sup dad-bro :v::hf::v:
Wife and I go in for the 12th week check up next week.
Everything's been going well thus far, but just recently, she's having a lot of trouble sleeping. She's pretty tiny at 5'2" and is already showing a lot, after a bit of research I've seen a lot of recommendations for pre-natal body pillows for sleep, any that the thread would recommend?

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I am cheap and just picked up a body pillow. I used it to sperate my knees to help with the hip pain.

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008

Funhilde posted:

Moving while in the beginning stages of pregnancy is challenging. It is difficult to be packing and organize while avoiding dizziness and nausea. I almost cried when we hit a snag with some carpet installation.

If it makes you feel any better, I had to hold back tears when I had a nail fixed in my tire for free. Hormones, man.

Illuminado posted:

Sup dad-bro :v::hf::v:
Wife and I go in for the 12th week check up next week.
Everything's been going well thus far, but just recently, she's having a lot of trouble sleeping. She's pretty tiny at 5'2" and is already showing a lot, after a bit of research I've seen a lot of recommendations for pre-natal body pillows for sleep, any that the thread would recommend?

I also use a regular body pillow, although to be honest I used one before I was pregnant too. It might be a good idea to try one before shelling out money for an expensive pre-natal pillow.

Does anyone here have experience with pregnancy yoga? I used to practice yoga years ago, and since I'm already feeling back pain I think it's something I would like to get back into. If anyone has recommendations for videos/books/etc I would really appreciate it. :)

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007
My wife has really liked this one:
https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/Leachco-reg-Snoogle-reg-Total-Body-Pregnancy-Support-and-Feeding-Pillow-in-Navy/1018613603

It's pretty bulky, but once she figured out the right configuration its been great.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My baby is almost a year old and I still sleep with a body pillow.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Meanwhile I never ended up sleeping with a body pillow at all but found that the cure for my pregnancy insomnia was to cuddle up really close to my husband to sleep, something I pretty much never do otherwise.

If you do get a Snoogle, check Burlington Coat Factory. The one near us had them for ~$20 less than full price.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
7 weeks left as of yesterday. Oh my god I will be a parent by the end of next month. Plus I'm turning 30 next weekend. And I almost punched three patients and an old nosy man at the DMV for telling me (in no particular order), "you look like you're having twins; you should be in a hospital, you look like you're going to burst, your stomach is huge!"
I'm all stomach apparently which makes me appear further along I'm a bit touchy nowadays. Thanks for the self esteem boost, you fat gently caress.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Some people are so loving rude. I had a delivery man greet me last week with a cheerful "hello chubby!" WTF. I'm not overweight but even if I was, what an awful thing to say! I think some people are just overdue for a punch in the face or something :(

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Heh, one of my co-workers at work received a "Hello Fatty! All the best for the impending baby!" in her going-away-on-maternity-leave card. She had a patient's partner exclaim, "Well aren't you two a pair of teletubbies!" when he came into the room during a morphology scan.

Meanwhile, I get the occasional patient who smokes during their pregnancy and goes into semi anorexia because 'I don't want to put on too much weight' or 'I don't want to have to push out a big baby!'.

Something about pregnancy/infants seems to negate the social covenant of not commenting on appearances.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I have my first appointment tomorrow! Although they didn't call to confirm it or tell me if I needed to do anything special. I assume they will be drawing blood? A little nervous I guess.

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008
They'll likely draw blood/urine and do a Pap smear. They should also do a dating sonogram, I think. They did at my first appointment, anyway. Your doctor will go over basics (diet, exercise, medications, etc). The only thing I would do in preparation is drink a lot of water so you can give them a urine sample. Oh, and write down any questions you might have so you don't forget them during the appointment. Try not to be nervous!

My second appointment was today and we got to hear the heartbeat. :) It's so surreal knowing that there is another living creature with its own separate heartbeat living inside of me.

Isabelle Caramel fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 7, 2013

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Isabelle Caramel posted:

My second appointment was today and we got to hear the heartbeat. :) It's so surreal knowing that there is another living creature with its own separate heartbeat living inside of me.

Just wait til you see him or her on sonogram! It gets weirder and weirder. I had (have) terrible anxiety, and the only days I really felt like everything was okay were when I got to see him or hear his heartbeat. Also got a kick out of it because my belly sounded like a creaky haunted house. That was some Tell-Tale Heart poo poo.
He's 4 weeks and a couple days and things are getting easier, but he has awful gas. Guess it's time to really crack down on my diet. Gripe water doesn't do poo poo, simethicone drops make for some impressive farts but don't stop him from straining and crying. The positives are that he's cute as hell, took right to a bottle (of breastmilk, I go back to work in December), and is sleeping 3-4 hours at night since he's up fussing all day. Any recommendations for a gassy baby? I'll be cracking down on dairy hardcore, so we'll see if things improve.
Obligatory baby picture incoming.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Adorable! Speaking about your use of a bottle - I plan to breast feed and then switch to pumping for bottle use when I go back to work. What's a good age to start introducing him, 4-6 weeks?

Man, Kanye west cancelled the show I was going to on Friday for my bday- pretty bummed. At least I have a pageant and a 5k for bday weekend. However- I am really ouchy with walking, like I feel slightly stretched out and my breasts are a lot more full. What's the chances that it's just ligamentous movement and not kiddo deciding to jump in on my bday weekend? 34 wk appt today should hopefully address this.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Anya posted:

Adorable! Speaking about your use of a bottle - I plan to breast feed and then switch to pumping for bottle use when I go back to work. What's a good age to start introducing him, 4-6 weeks?

Man, Kanye west cancelled the show I was going to on Friday for my bday- pretty bummed. At least I have a pageant and a 5k for bday weekend. However- I am really ouchy with walking, like I feel slightly stretched out and my breasts are a lot more full. What's the chances that it's just ligamentous movement and not kiddo deciding to jump in on my bday weekend? 34 wk appt today should hopefully address this.

We just started him this week. First one was a little rough, I think user error on the part of my husband and some confusion from the baby. Second bottle went smooth as silk. Depending on when you're going back to work, I'd give yourself 2-3 weeks to practice.
Has your baby dropped already? Leon was down in my pelvis for something like 7 weeks before I went into labor, just shy of 39 weeks. And I was INCREDIBLY ouchy when walking. He settled on my sciatic nerve, and sometimes my legs would just give out. Don't push yourself too hard! I wish I could go back and just rest.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Just wait til you see him or her on sonogram! It gets weirder and weirder. I had (have) terrible anxiety, and the only days I really felt like everything was okay were when I got to see him or hear his heartbeat. Also got a kick out of it because my belly sounded like a creaky haunted house. That was some Tell-Tale Heart poo poo.
He's 4 weeks and a couple days and things are getting easier, but he has awful gas. Guess it's time to really crack down on my diet. Gripe water doesn't do poo poo, simethicone drops make for some impressive farts but don't stop him from straining and crying. The positives are that he's cute as hell, took right to a bottle (of breastmilk, I go back to work in December), and is sleeping 3-4 hours at night since he's up fussing all day. Any recommendations for a gassy baby? I'll be cracking down on dairy hardcore, so we'll see if things improve.
Obligatory baby picture incoming.

Aww, that's a cute baby!

If your baby only is gassy and doesn't have any other symptoms of a protein sensitivity/allergy, you might want to read this first:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/gassybaby/

There isn't really a lot of evidence to back up the claims that the mother's diet causes gassiness, so the good news is that you probably don't have to alter your diet (unless you really want to, but keep in mind that it might not help beyond a placebo effect).

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

New Weave Wendy posted:

Aww, that's a cute baby!

If your baby only is gassy and doesn't have any other symptoms of a protein sensitivity/allergy, you might want to read this first:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/gassybaby/

There isn't really a lot of evidence to back up the claims that the mother's diet causes gassiness, so the good news is that you probably don't have to alter your diet (unless you really want to, but keep in mind that it might not help beyond a placebo effect).

Thank you! I have a mild dairy allergy I mostly ignore, and he's been congested as well as fussy/gassy, so I thought maybe that's it. I'm definitely better able to handle a sore stomach from milk than he'd be able to. We're back for his one month checkup next week, though, so I'll ask then.
Yeah, other than milk, I haven't altered my diet at all. I also have OALD/oversupply going on, though, so maybe block feeding would help. Babies are so complicated.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I keep getting told he looks really low- but I don't know, maybe? Laying down was the only thing that made it feel better. It happens on and off over the last couple of weeks. I went to the mall and walked for awhile when shopping and my gait speed really dropped after awhile. We shall see.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Thank you! I have a mild dairy allergy I mostly ignore, and he's been congested as well as fussy/gassy, so I thought maybe that's it. I'm definitely better able to handle a sore stomach from milk than he'd be able to. We're back for his one month checkup next week, though, so I'll ask then.
Yeah, other than milk, I haven't altered my diet at all. I also have OALD/oversupply going on, though, so maybe block feeding would help. Babies are so complicated.

In that case, since you have a dairy allergy yourself, cutting out dairy to see if it makes a difference might not be a bad idea.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I'm at 34 weeks now and have just started buying and setting up my baby items. I've been using the Internet along with a couple books to try to figure out what to get. One question I have is, what do I actually need for toiletries? Some kind of baby shampoo, body wash, lotion, and diaper rash cream? I already bought a pair of little nail scissors, washcloths, and a package of cotton balls. Anything else? If anyone has suggestions or can steer me towards your favorite products, please let me know.

Edit: by the way, wanted to thank this thread for the carseat talk that happened a while back, we ended up going with a chicco keyfit 30

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 11, 2013

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
We didn't use any soap/body wash for the longest time. We're back to using only water but because she has ridiculously sensitive skin.

I'd see if you could find any perfume free lotion. We used aveeno until we switched to a more sensitive skin friendly one.

Most moms I know swear by desitin (not cloth diaper friendly if you're going that route).

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
We use a soap/shampoo combo and have it in this foamer It makes the soap last longer and I think it's easier to lather up.

I don't think any diaper cream is cloth friendly but I've heard to just apply then put a washcloth or something similar against the cream and then diaper like normal. We've been lucky enough to not have to deal with rashes so I don't know how this works in practice.

Maybe a brush or comb if the baby comes out with a ton of hair.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
Get a hold of a thermometer too... That would be something you'll want to have on hand if you have a sick baby and need it.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
Petroleum jelly. We still haven't used actual lotion on our 20 month old because the Vaseline fits our needs. We use it when he has a cold and his nose is raw from being wiped, to prevent wind chapped cheeks in the winter (just smear a thin layer on before going out) and on dry lips.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

New Weave Wendy posted:

Get a hold of a thermometer too... That would be something you'll want to have on hand if you have a sick baby and need it.

This. Get a good rectal thermometer & some infant Tylenol. Because your baby will get their first fever at 10pm on a Sunday night & the last thing you want to do at that point is drive to the closest 24 hour pharmacy.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
You don't need soap at all. A few drops of baby oil in the bathwater is nice, but unless you accidentally drop your baby in engine oil or something plain water gets them nice and clean without drying out their skin. And babies don't actually need to be bathed every day. We bathed ours once a week for the first month or so, and now we just bathe her as needed, like if she's done a particularly spectacular spit-up, something like twice a week.

The only baby skin products we've used so far is zinc ointment for the occasional sore bottom and baby oil for bath time and for rubbing on her feet when they were dry in the beginning (baby skin needs to get used to not being wet all the time, so it does some weird things for the first couple of weeks. Our kid looked like a leper until her skin adjusted, but didn't seem to mind.), and we've yet to move on from the few sample packages we got at the pharmacy, and our daughter is 4 months old.

Other toiletries we've used are cotton pads, q-tips for her ears after bathtime, and a million wash-cloths. They disappear for some strange reason. I think she eats them when we're not looking.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
I can't find a good source on my phone but please don't put qtips in your baby's ear, or really any ear. Around the ear is fine.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Oh, not in them, obviously, just for drying the nooks and crannies of the outer ear. She's a splasher and gleefully drenches every bit of herself.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

Oh, not in them, obviously, just for drying the nooks and crannies of the outer ear. She's a splasher and gleefully drenches every bit of herself.

Thanks for the clarification. They're also good for cleaning dirty belly buttons after the cord falls off.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
We haven't had any problems with diaper cream and cloth diapers. We've used a couple different kinds that I don't remember, but are currently using some Aquaphor version that is very similar consistency to vaseline.

e:
vvvv Breastfeeding was a struggle for my wife for like, 4-6 months. 3 weeks is not even close to out of the ordinary.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 11, 2013

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
I'm still struggling with breastfeeding, unfortunately. Allison will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and I'm still not making enough milk. I think a lot of it is my fault... I try my best to pump as often as I can to empty them, but it's difficult to wash the parts and bring them back every couple hours when my baby cries every time I put her down when she's not asleep. The baby carrier helps, but I'm still working on that because I get paranoid that she can't breathe. I just need to get a system going, and hopefully it'll get better. I'm also trying to gauge how much formula to give her each feeding. Sometimes she'll fall asleep right after eating 2 ounces, other times she'll keep crying afterward and trying to feed her a little more makes her spit up. Did anyone else struggle this long? :( I have a lot of friends that are offering encouragement and I found a La Leche Leauge group that's meeting next Saturday, so I'm going to check that out.

On a happier note, I did a trial run of cloth diapers today, and she pooped in both of them in 20 minutes. :) I succeeded in not throwing up while spraying it into the toilet, and they both got really clean after washing them the first time. I'm paranoid about stuff leaking through her leg holes (can't seem to get them snug enough), but I guess it'll get better with practice.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Chicken Biscuits posted:

I'm still struggling with breastfeeding, unfortunately. Allison will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and I'm still not making enough milk. I think a lot of it is my fault... I try my best to pump as often as I can to empty them, but it's difficult to wash the parts and bring them back every couple hours when my baby cries every time I put her down when she's not asleep. The baby carrier helps, but I'm still working on that because I get paranoid that she can't breathe. I just need to get a system going, and hopefully it'll get better. I'm also trying to gauge how much formula to give her each feeding. Sometimes she'll fall asleep right after eating 2 ounces, other times she'll keep crying afterward and trying to feed her a little more makes her spit up. Did anyone else struggle this long? :( I have a lot of friends that are offering encouragement and I found a La Leche Leauge group that's meeting next Saturday, so I'm going to check that out.

On a happier note, I did a trial run of cloth diapers today, and she pooped in both of them in 20 minutes. :) I succeeded in not throwing up while spraying it into the toilet, and they both got really clean after washing them the first time. I'm paranoid about stuff leaking through her leg holes (can't seem to get them snug enough), but I guess it'll get better with practice.

Try this trick...put your pump parts in a plastic bag and in the fridge between sessions. Wash at end of day. Perfectly acceptable according to every LC I've asked.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Papercut posted:

We haven't had any problems with diaper cream and cloth diapers. We've used a couple different kinds that I don't remember, but are currently using some Aquaphor version that is very similar consistency to vaseline.

e:
vvvv Breastfeeding was a struggle for my wife for like, 4-6 months. 3 weeks is not even close to out of the ordinary.

If you're using a thick petroleum based cream, the issue is that it may build up over time in the diaper and cause issues with absorbency. So if you start seeing leaks, this may be the problem.

Edit: here's a bunch of "safe" creams: http://www.kellyscloset.com/Cloth-Diaper-Safe-CreamsSalves_c_774.html But I found that if my kid had a rash bad enough for creams, I just switched to disposables for a couple days and broke out the big guns of Aveeno paste or Desitin.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 11, 2013

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
How often does she nurse, particularly at night? You produce more prolactin at night, so night-time feeds are super important for your supply.

I'm in no way an expert, but this whole pump milk and then feed it to the baby thing I've seen people being recommended at hospital in this thread seems really strange to me - since suckling is much more effective at stimulating milk production than pumping, wouldn't it make more sense to just have baby feed more often? Our little bug was basically hanging off my boobs 24/7 the first couple of weeks, since she fell asleep as soon as she got latched on and the milk started flowing, I had to tickle her and sing loudly to keep her awake, so getting food into her took a long time, and the constant nursing resulted in a massive oversupply.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Chicken Biscuits posted:

What is her diaper output looking like? How do you know you're not making enough? The first six weeks are basically just one long growth spurt of baby growing fast and getting your milk supply up to her needs, so they nurse A LOT. You might also consider if she has reflux with the overeating and spitting up. Some babies will just keep eating beyond fullness because the milk soothes the burn. Will she sleep flat or only upright?

quote:

The following things are normal:

Frequent and/or long feedings.
Varying nursing pattern from day to day.
Cluster nursing (very frequent to constant nursing) for several hours—usually evenings—each day. This may coincide with the normal “fussy time” that most babies have in the early months.
Growth spurts, where baby nurses more often than usual for several days and may act very fussy. Common growth spurt times in the early weeks are the first few days at home, 7 – 10 days, 2 – 3 weeks and 4 – 6 weeks.

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 11, 2013

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Chickalicious posted:

You might also consider if she has reflux with the overeating and spitting up. Some babies will just keep eating beyond fullness because the milk soothes the burn. Will she sleep flat or only upright?

This is what we have going on, probably - except it's dairy-related reflux paired with oversupply, I think, so definitely ask if Allison's regularly eating herself to the point of spitting up. Leon's going to the doctor tomorrow but I feel like I've mostly got a handle on managing it, feeding less milk more often and keeping him upright for 20-30 minutes after. Yeah, it sucks at 3 in the morning, but it's so nice to see him actually resting and smiling and looking at the world around him instead of just grunting and crying all the time.
Anyway, don't give up! I thought I had low supply and now I could probably drown someone in it.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
She wakes up every 2 1/2- 3 hours at night to eat. I can make more of an effort to wake her up a bit more often.

During the first week, she wasn't producing enough dirty diapers. She had very few wet ones, and was pooping maybe once every other day. By day 7, she was still pooping meconium and weighed 8 pounds 10 ounces, down from 9'8 when she left the hospital a week prior. When we went to the lactation consultant, we did the weighing before/after feedings, and she was only getting about .2 ounces per side. We also found out she was tongue tied, so we got that fixed last week and it's only helped a little. Pumping every time only gets me about .1 ounce as well. I'll check with the LC again this week to see if we can get in again and see if she's able to take in more milk.

She sleeps happily flat on her back, so I don't think she has reflux, but I'll look into that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chicken Biscuits posted:

She wakes up every 2 1/2- 3 hours at night to eat. I can make more of an effort to wake her up a bit more often.

During the first week, she wasn't producing enough dirty diapers. She had very few wet ones, and was pooping maybe once every other day. By day 7, she was still pooping meconium and weighed 8 pounds 10 ounces, down from 9'8 when she left the hospital a week prior. When we went to the lactation consultant, we did the weighing before/after feedings, and she was only getting about .2 ounces per side. We also found out she was tongue tied, so we got that fixed last week and it's only helped a little. Pumping every time only gets me about .1 ounce as well. I'll check with the LC again this week to see if we can get in again and see if she's able to take in more milk.

She sleeps happily flat on her back, so I don't think she has reflux, but I'll look into that as well.

Are you doing breast compressions while nursing? Have you tried hand expressing?