Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Eej posted:

Erwin smiling was incredibly creepy and I don't even really know why (for certain) he was doing it.

I may be bad at reading context but his "I was told that since I was a child..." Was that about his creepy smiling or did he mean that the revelation of titans being humans was something he was told as a child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Connie has been in titan form all along!!

But yeah not really a theory I'd put much stock into.

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual

BambooEarpick posted:

I may be bad at reading context but his "I was told that since I was a child..." Was that about his creepy smiling or did he mean that the revelation of titans being humans was something he was told as a child?

He said it in reference to the "you're a freak" comment by Levi.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

flowinprose posted:

I'm more curious about the fact that nobody has brought up the beast titan. Didn't they see him climb up the wall? Isn't that a pretty big problem??

Yeah I'm surprised that Eren hasn't talked about what he and the other titan shifters were discussing when alone, and how they're looking for the Beast Titan.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Herb Stencil posted:

He said it in reference to the "you're a freak" comment by Levi.

Yeah the jarring thing for me is that Erwin and his smiling came right after Levi expresses some concern that he may have been murdering humans this entire time. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Eej posted:

Yeah the jarring thing for me is that Erwin and his smiling came right after Levi expresses some concern that he may have been murdering humans this entire time. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I interpreted it as a "ahahaha gently caress this poo poo" sort of thing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Neo_Crimson posted:

I interpreted it as a "ahahaha gently caress this poo poo" sort of thing.

They had to of at least guessed this before I mean the Titans look like giant humans and they know that people can turn into them it can't be a huge leap of logic to at least contemplate that they were probably human at some point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

They had to of at least guessed this before I mean the Titans look like giant humans and they know that people can turn into them it can't be a huge leap of logic to at least contemplate that they were probably human at some point.

If I were in Irwin's position I would be putting this far as gently caress from the front of my mind until it became something that couldn't be avoided. Knowing about it doesn't actually change anything, and it would just make combat even harder and probably get you killed due to the hesitation that knowledge could cause. I imagine he just blocked it out until they actually obtained solid evidence.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

If I were in Irwin's position I would be putting this far as gently caress from the front of my mind until it became something that couldn't be avoided. Knowing about it doesn't actually change anything, and it would just make combat even harder and probably get you killed due to the hesitation that knowledge could cause. I imagine he just blocked it out until they actually obtained solid evidence.

People have been killing people in wars for far worse reasons then stopping genocide throughout human history, the whole "oh god we have been killing humans" is a cheap dramashot because if you got turned into a giant mindless monster and started eating your family and poo poo wouldn't you want someone to kill you?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

People have been killing people in wars for far worse reasons then stopping genocide throughout human history, the whole "oh god we have been killing humans" is a cheap dramashot because if you got turned into a giant mindless monster and started eating your family and poo poo wouldn't you want someone to kill you?

Absolutely, but there's a significant difference between killing a giant monster that just looks like a human and a giant mindless monster that actually is one. I'm not saying "oh god this mindless killing machine was actually a person once I CAN'T DO THIS" is the end result, so much as that knowledge just increases the possibility someone will hesitate even in a small way, which translates to slipups and subsequently increased titan death.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Yes, which is great from a handwavey standpoint. On the other hand: being confronted with the fact that you've been killing people who have by and large lost control of themselves isn't something to go hop skipping away like it means nothing.

"Gee all these people being mind controlled by the aliens probably would have wanted me to break their skulls open with a baseball bat, oh well might as well not worry about the sheer horror of the circumstance!" isn't really a realistic expectation. It's more "oh god". Nothing that would stop you, just kind of horrendous.

The very fact that Titans are humans and not some Other is kind of terrifying since it means that there's something else beyond them. They've had some suspicions of this but if EVERY titan is human, it makes the reality of their threat even more nightmarish. Plus: what if they can just turn whole sections of the city into Titans? Is there any way they can be safe if that's the case? Obviously we are fairly certain it's not that simple, but it's still something to fret over.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

socialsecurity posted:

This suddenly reminds me of a horror comic where the "zombies" are living people infected with brain parasites, still conscious but with no control over their actions.

kinda like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWB_COSUXMw

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Is there even any proof that all titans are originally human? Or just the people from Connie's village that Sasquatch had transformed, which is something that the readers (but not the characters) figured out already?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You know, in any other manga I would expect that moment to have been the first indicator that Erwin would snap and end up betraying the main characters for the power to become a titan and get his arm back.

Not here though, I expect him to continue being a badass.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Soulcleaver posted:

Is there even any proof that all titans are originally human? Or just the people from Connie's village that Sasquatch had transformed, which is something that the readers (but not the characters) figured out already?

I think beyond this latest chapter, Eren popping out of a titan's neck at the battle for Trost was also some decent proof that titans are really humans all along. Not to mention if you just look at them, well...

That being said, there is clearly something different with Connie's village. They operated at night when titans usually don't do that.

kant
May 12, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

Why aren't they doing that to Histora? Or torturing the poo poo out of the Wall Cult members? These fuckers knew a bunch of stuff about titans and did nothing while soldiers are off dying. The survey corps seems like they could probably grab a few wall cult members without anyone noticing.

I think the 'truth' will more or less justify the wall cult's decision to stay quiet. They may be driven crazy by what they know but they're probably not the bad guys.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think beyond this latest chapter, Eren popping out of a titan's neck at the battle for Trost was also some decent proof that titans are really humans all along. Not to mention if you just look at them, well...

That being said, there is clearly something different with Connie's village. They operated at night when titans usually don't do that.

Dunno, I interpreted that as them being able to move around at night because King Kong ordered them to gently caress around with the Scouting Legion.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This...kind of already seemed to be happening with Levi in this most recent chapter, didn't it?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Honestly I kind of hope the revelation to the characters that the titans are transformed humans doesn't lead to people hesitating and getting killed in the future, because though I could understand hesitation if you're fighting the titan of your mother or friend or whatever, the fact is it's an extreme kill or be killed situation. The person in the titan is functionally unconscious as it is.

I think it's a great thing for the characters to discuss and feel guilty about but they're still locked in a horrible battle for survival and I think anybody would realize this.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Might be due to how they were recently turned?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Probably has more to do with Sasquatch being involved. Sasquatch :argh:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Squidster posted:

Historia doesn't know anything, but I'm sure they're working on putting her and Pastor Nick in a room together. There isn't any point in being suspicious of her - she's valuable, but she doesn't present any risk. I'm sure the SC could kidnap priests and torture 'em, but that could have incredible blowback. The SC doesn't understand the nature of the wall conspiracy, so they can't even predict what form that blowback would take - riots? Titans? Poisoned potatoes?

Historia has been lying to them from the start. Her best friend was a Titan who was also lying to them from the start. The three titans who killed hundred of thousands of people were also in that group and were lying from the start. Two of those three titans tried to kidnap her, and she tried to leave with them. There is 100% reason to be completely suspicious of her, and they have no idea of knowing if she poses no risk or not.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Well we know from Sawney and Bean that not all titans are created equal. Some go inactive in darkness, others are fine for hours.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
It may have just been the translation, but I got the distinct impression that Historia and Connie and the others were already thoroughly debriefed at some point between returning to the wall and the discussion with Irwin et al., and that they'd drawn as-yet-undisclosed conclusions and plans from it, which presumably gave them something to work on with more potential value than keeping either locked up could. I also have the impression that the wall religion is more politically powerful than the scouts, but that's less specific and more of my general feel of the story universe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I still think it's going to end up being something a little more than just "titans are transformed humans". It's really cliche.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TK-31 posted:

You know, in any other manga I would expect that moment to have been the first indicator that Erwin would snap and end up betraying the main characters for the power to become a titan and get his arm back.

Not here though, I expect him to continue being a badass.

Hey, maybe the bite was contagious.... :unsmigghh:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Terror Sweat posted:

Historia has been lying to them from the start. Her best friend was a Titan who was also lying to them from the start. The three titans who killed hundred of thousands of people were also in that group and were lying from the start. Two of those three titans tried to kidnap her, and she tried to leave with them. There is 100% reason to be completely suspicious of her, and they have no idea of knowing if she poses no risk or not.

Shoot, I've completely forgotten when Historia found out about Ymir. How long was it between Ymir outing herself as the biggest lesbian to Historia and the SC discovering it?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I still think it's going to end up being something a little more than just "titans are transformed humans". It's really cliche.

Yeah, considering Hanji stressed repeatedly that they don't have any solid proof for that theory my guess is that there's going to be more to it than that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, considering Hanji stressed repeatedly that they don't have any solid proof for that theory my guess is that there's going to be more to it than that.

I completely agree. Thanks for summing up my views entirely.

EDIT: Hasn't anyone discussed the Freudian appeal of this show yet? It's pretty striking! No wonder it's popular with females.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Griff Lee posted:

EDIT: Hasn't anyone discussed the Freudian appeal of this show yet? It's pretty striking! No wonder it's popular with females.

Is having a short, moody, clean-freak fujyoshi-magnet Freudian?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Griff Lee posted:

It's popular with girls because Levi is more or less a laundry list of every trait fujoshi find attractive in male characters. He's pretty much the blind deaf childhood friend robot maid from Welcome to the NHK!

vvv what the hell are you even talking about

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 11, 2013

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

It's popular with girls because Levi is more or less a laundry list of every trait fujoshi find attractive in male characters. He's pretty much the blind deaf childhood friend robot maid from Welcome to the NHK!

And people still don't believe in the Misandry bubble! smh

seriously though shows like Bleach and Attack on Titan make me weirded out. Sexualizing men for the purpose of female consummation just seems wrong and immoral and frankly I'm tired of men being used as a scape goat to do all SORTS of things. Sexism hurts men and women equally and once we realize that these issues are just as important as the ones on E! maybe we could work to stop it???

----------------

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 11, 2013

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

AnonSpore posted:

This I don't really get. I mean yeah, he's aloof as hell, but not in a ~*mysterious*~ way, he's just kind of a mundane sort of rear end in a top hat. On top of being really short, not very pretty, and being a neat freak. I'm not saying people can't find him attractive, but fujoshi bait he isn't.

Then again, I'm a straight guy. So what the hell do I know? :v:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Then again, I'm a straight guy. So what the hell do I know? :v:

According to society this is the biggest sin you can commit!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

----------------

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

vvv what the hell are you even talking about

I think Griff Lee forgot he wasn't in GBS and started gimmickposting.

I agree that Levi's popularity is kind of baffling, though.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Griff Lee posted:

According to society this is the biggest sin you can commit!
I think you want this thread, buddy. We get it, you have a sweet sig and whatevs.

I think Levi wasn't designed as fujoshi bait, but accidentally stumbled into many of those tropes. I'm sure that if he didn't exist, the fujoshi fanbase would have recast Jean in his place, or Erwin, or any other authority figure who could creep all over their subordinates.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

no don't send him to the feminism thread

I'm a lady and I like Attack on Titan because the plot is engaging and its female characters are actually characters? :shrug: It's not progressive but it doesn't have to be to stand out, unfortunately.

Squidster posted:

Shoot, I've completely forgotten when Historia found out about Ymir. How long was it between Ymir outing herself as the biggest lesbian to Historia and the SC discovering it?
A few hours? Historia didn't know Ymir was a titan until the stuff at Utgard and Connie can pretty much confirm that (unless you want to get into why the SC shouldn't trust Connie). Unless you're talking about the lesbian thing, in which case, forever? :v:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Haha, that ended in the best possible way.

Seriously though, I think the whole Tumblr fangirl thing is a small fraction of women who enjoy the anime/manga. I wouldn't use their obsession over Levi as evidence of anything.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
The Japanese fandom also has no shortage of Levi fangirls and works catering to their tastes. It's certainly one component of the series' remarkable popularity, as far as I can tell.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Isn't Levi literally the most popular character in the entire series though? I thought they actually changed a few scenes in the anime to include him just because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like Levi because by all outward appearances he's the archetypical shonen badass who only cares about being STRONG and KILLING THINGS and if you die it's because you're WEAK, but the comic actually shows that while he's pretty cold and ruthless, he's actually a human being who cares about other people.