Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I agree, it's only the consequences for my licence that prevent me cruising at a ton-twenty in those conditions.

Not the unlubed baton, car confiscation and massive fine too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Two real winners tonight on my way home.

First, I end up behind someone doing 40 in a 50, and the guy behind me starts tailgating because he's turning off the next exit. Guy in front starts to turn into the turn lane, but straddles the line so he's in both my lane and the turning lane, then realizes he's at the wrong intersection, so he slams the brakes and swings back into traffic, forcing me to slam my brakes, and thankfully the guy behind me riding my rear end was turning there or I'd be getting a new rear bumper.

So, with the left lane clear, I get around this guy and at the next loving intersection there's a dumbass who comes to a complete stop at a green light. What. the. gently caress. CAK goons, drive carefully, the mouth breathers are out tonight.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

These were taken a few weeks ago. Some from my workvan on my way back to the site and others fron my Jeep on my way home. I have my phone set to voice recognition and burst photos so it's not as dangerous. That's my story and I stick to it.

No headlights. Gray car.

Sure, cut in on me with wind and rain and no lights!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Yeah if I am driving super late and have the freeway almost to myself like that I will occasionally drive at simliar speeds (for realitively short periods where I "know" police are not lurking).

Its not fundamentally dangerous assuming you have a car that can handle those speeds.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Das Volk posted:

I think you're overreacting a tad bit there, unless there's danger I'm not seeing in the video. He's maybe doing 110. On a nearly empty, well-lit freeway, with plenty of visibility. In conditions like those I will have no problem with passing or being passed deep into triple digits and think nothing of it.

2:30 AM on a Saturday night. Safe to say he was likely pretty buzzed, at the least. When I saw him coming up behind me he was all over the road, though you couldn't really see that in the video. There was a decent amount of traffic for the hour (just not in that particular clip).

I still think that's way over 110 though - I was doing between 85-90. There's no way that's a 25 mph difference. :stare:

That said, the tollway is generally devoid of much in the way of traffic enforcement when you're south of SH 121 - most sections (including that one) are only patrolled by state troopers.

About 30 seconds later I came up on a nasty rollover accident, though that Lexus was in no way involved (there was already a state trooper on scene, fire trucks were coming up behind me when I passed it). I really hate driving home late at night on a Friday or Saturday just because of all the drunks :sigh:

Chinatown posted:

Yeah if I am driving super late and have the freeway almost to myself like that I will occasionally drive at simliar speeds (for realitively short periods where I "know" police are not lurking).

Its not fundamentally dangerous assuming you have a car that can handle those speeds.

I agree with you there. He was barely able to stay in a lane when he was coming up behind me though. And I still think he was doing at least a buck 25.

General_Failure posted:

Not the unlubed baton, car confiscation and massive fine too?

I've actually been pulled over for 120 (mph) before (55 zone). :stonklol:

Escaped with a massive (and very well deserved) rear end chewing. Empty highway, broad daylight, running late to work... I still don't know why he didn't arrest me, but I'm glad he didn't (every other word out of his mouth was "gently caress" or "Andretti" though).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 11, 2013

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

xzzy posted:

Yep.. well I've tried. For much of the mid-west it's not gonna buy me anything. People who have chosen to cruise in the left lane don't give a poo poo what's happening in their mirrors.

Proper left lane usage doesn't really seem to become the norm until I get west of the Mississippi.

Southern California must be exempt from that.

Actually, I have to say I prefer the way Americans use all the lanes on the motorway and undertaking people is excellent. We had a friend staying from the UK last week and he also mentioned how civilized he thought it was to be able to overtake someone from any lane.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Now here's a high speed pass :clint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCT6BXn2SbA

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I will admit to doing 100 MPH (my actual speed) the other day in my Porsche 944 in the leftmost lane of I93, heading South towards Boston at about 10 PM. Maybe 20 miles North of the city, barely any traffic.

What little traffic there was included two cars in the middle lane, with the back one barely coming up on the front one. The car in back is getting relatively close to the front one right as I'm coming up on them, and starts to merge left into my lane right in front of me, but really only makes a little bit into the lane when he presumably sees me goes "oh gently caress" and goes hard into the right lane instead just as I'm going "oh gently caress" and hitting my brakes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Sometimes I drop to 4th to pass someone and then I forget to stop accelerating.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
The people I share the road with drive some of the most beat down cars ever. Last week my boyfriend saw a car without a rear window, and a different car without a windshield and the driver was wearing goggles. He said it was like a Taurus or something, it was supposed to have a windshield.

If there's some jerk on the freeway going 10 miles under the speed limit when the flow of traffic is 10-15 over the speed limit, it almost always Baja California plates. I haven't been able to figure out if the car just can't keep up, or if they are scared to get pulled over and get a ticket.

During the summer there will be a report on the radio traffic of a vehicle fire somewhere in the county almost daily. When I would drive from San Diego to Los Angeles to visit family, there was almost always something on fire.

90% of the other things that all y'all are talking about seeing on your drives I see all day every day. Someone posted a compilation a few pages back, and for almost every item on the list I had to go look at the 'about' description part to see what exactly dude was bitching about because more than half the things on the list didn't even register because it's just so bad here.

Please, someone anyone, send help to Southern California. We don't know how to drive. Everyone is an rear end in a top hat. My first time driving to San Diego about 12 years ago, I was going 85-90 in a posted 65 in the far left lane and there were cars frantically honking and flashing their lights at me. I move over to let the car pass and the lane just zooms by me, every one of them going 95-100. My first impression of the I-5 in San Diego was "I'm driving at almost felony speeding MPH and it isn't fast enough for the flow of traffic."

Now a days if you see me on the freeway I'm the one leaving 2-3 seconds of space in front of me. I still count it off from time to time. People get absolutely infuriated that I have so much space in front of me, they will whip around me and get in front of me and do their little lane merge song and dance while I cruise behind them. I don't need to put on my brakes when traffic slows up because I can just let off my gas and coast while all y'all in front of me are communicating with Morse-code brakelights that say "I'm an rear end in a top hat who insists on being on your rear end so close I can smell your air freshener." I get to work or home relaxed because I'm not stressing out about my drive while my fellow commuters get red faced angry honkhonkhonk and will probably stroke out one day.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Might as well toss this in.
It's very common here to have people driving at 80km/h maximum when the limit is 100, or occasionally 110 if there are any of those zones actually left.
Roads, even highways are usually just one lane each way too. This can cause traffic to really back up sometimes because it's not always possible to see. The person might be towing a caravan or trailer, or perhaps heat haze is bad enough that it's too hard to tell if there's oncoming traffic.
I seem to be one of the last people in existence that will pull over enough to let people see what's coming when I'm one of the slowies, and pull over completely occasionally to let people pass.

Part of it is also people driving at 80km/h in a desperate attempt to save fuel. People take that 80km/h as the most efficient speed as gospel. Sure there's less wind resistance but gearing has a role too. For example I know that the Fairlane gets better economy at 100km/h than 80km/h because it has a trip computer with the whole instant and average economy thing.
But this also comes back to the octane penny pinchers too. I got better economy pulling a plant machinery trailer with the Niva on it while running 98 than I do without a trailer running 91.
People will do anything in the false pursuit of economy.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Whoa, for those that need it, 150kph equates to just under 100mph. So the videographer's car was doing nearly a ton and got passed like it wasn't moving at all.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dead Cow posted:

The people I share the road with drive some of the most beat down cars ever. Last week my boyfriend saw a car without a rear window, and a different car without a windshield and the driver was wearing goggles. He said it was like a Taurus or something, it was supposed to have a windshield.

If there's some jerk on the freeway going 10 miles under the speed limit when the flow of traffic is 10-15 over the speed limit, it almost always Baja California plates. I haven't been able to figure out if the car just can't keep up, or if they are scared to get pulled over and get a ticket.

During the summer there will be a report on the radio traffic of a vehicle fire somewhere in the county almost daily. When I would drive from San Diego to Los Angeles to visit family, there was almost always something on fire.

90% of the other things that all y'all are talking about seeing on your drives I see all day every day. Someone posted a compilation a few pages back, and for almost every item on the list I had to go look at the 'about' description part to see what exactly dude was bitching about because more than half the things on the list didn't even register because it's just so bad here.

Please, someone anyone, send help to Southern California. We don't know how to drive. Everyone is an rear end in a top hat. My first time driving to San Diego about 12 years ago, I was going 85-90 in a posted 65 in the far left lane and there were cars frantically honking and flashing their lights at me. I move over to let the car pass and the lane just zooms by me, every one of them going 95-100. My first impression of the I-5 in San Diego was "I'm driving at almost felony speeding MPH and it isn't fast enough for the flow of traffic."

Now a days if you see me on the freeway I'm the one leaving 2-3 seconds of space in front of me. I still count it off from time to time. People get absolutely infuriated that I have so much space in front of me, they will whip around me and get in front of me and do their little lane merge song and dance while I cruise behind them. I don't need to put on my brakes when traffic slows up because I can just let off my gas and coast while all y'all in front of me are communicating with Morse-code brakelights that say "I'm an rear end in a top hat who insists on being on your rear end so close I can smell your air freshener." I get to work or home relaxed because I'm not stressing out about my drive while my fellow commuters get red faced angry honkhonkhonk and will probably stroke out one day.

I think my favorite thing to see on the Southern California freeways are the severely overloaded pickups full of junk. Also the massive bro-trucks doing the aforementioned speeds. I thought Californians were concerned about the environment? Maybe it's an Orange County thing.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

No, bro trucks going way over the limit is endemic to all of SoCal. Same thing with pickups full of poo poo barely hanging on at freeway speeds. Amazingly enough, I've seen three such junk wagons pulled over in the past week. Maybe the CHP is starting to get annoyed with the mattresses and rolls of carpet in the middle of the freeway.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

FogHelmut posted:

I think my favorite thing to see on the Southern California freeways are the severely overloaded pickups full of junk. Also the massive bro-trucks doing the aforementioned speeds. I thought Californians were concerned about the environment? Maybe it's an Orange County thing.

All of So Cal is plagued with this.

Overloaded pick ups, vans, cars, people who don't red flag crap sticking out of everything. Saw a volvo with a kayak on top of it yesterday, not a little kayak, but like a canoe. Raised trucks, lowered trucks, small passenger cars towing other cars. Motorcyclists doing wheelies on the freeway, hydraulic cars bouncing while waiting for a light to change. These are all things I've seen in the last few months.

I just remembered this, because I am the people you share the road with. We brought a mattress home once with 4 people in the car, everyone was holding onto a handle. I remember feeling it start to lift if I went over 25mph.

Also, my old 89 Celica didn't like to go up hills, and the one time I went up into the mountainy area in it I had to pull over every turnout to let the BIG RIGS go by me. It probably didn't help that I had 'fixed' the air hose between the EFI and air filter with duct tape but Pick Your Part didn't have a single Celica with that hose. The one I did find had more tape on it than the one in the car. Oh and it had the worst suspension, no AC, no odometer or speedometer, and the tape player ate tapes. God I loved that loving car.

EDIT: The CHP website is my favorite. Maybe I should cross post this into the PYF Shadenfreude thread. http://cad.chp.ca.gov/Traffic.aspx

Incident: 00378 Type: Trfc Collision-No Inj

Detail Information
11:59 AM 1 [1] NEIGHBOR UNHOOKED BOAT FROM VEH - BOAT ROLLED DOWN HILL AND TC'D INTO 3 MAILBOXES

Incident: 00166 Type: Traffic Hazard Location: I5 N / I5 N Oso Pkwy E Onr
Detail Information
11:08 AM 1 [2] COUCH IN UKN LANE

Double edit, just refreshed
Incident: 00402 Type: Traffic Hazard Location: I5 S / Sea World No
Detail Information
12:34 PM 2 [4] NO VEHS IN SIGHT
12:33 PM 1 [3] WHEEL BARROW IN #2

Just note, that's the 402nd incident TODAY in San Diego County. The couch one is the 166th incident in Orange County.

Dead Cow fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 11, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dead Cow posted:

Double edit, just refreshed
Incident: 00402 Type: Traffic Hazard Location: I5 S / Sea World No
Detail Information
12:34 PM 2 [4] NO VEHS IN SIGHT
12:33 PM 1 [3] WHEEL BARROW IN #2

Just note, that's the 402nd incident TODAY in San Diego County. The couch one is the 166th incident in Orange County.

This reminds me of the Arizona DOT twitter account. Last Christmas season in one day it basically went down like this:

Tweet 1: Christmas tree in southbound lane on I-10 at Elliot
Tweet 2: Christmas tree in northbound lane on I-17 at Green way
Tweet 3: Christmas tree on northbound 51 at Bell
Tweet 4: Refrigerator blocking 2 lanes on I-10 at 143 exit. SECURE YOUR LOADS PEOPLE.

cluck1000
May 23, 2011

fo'rilla
Just discovered/fell in love with this thread!

Astroman posted:

I'm betting the majority of dumb complaints that are just rolled over and fixed for free are from chain places like Midas and Monroe, who will be willing to take a loss for "customer satisfaction."

Coincidentally, it's also those places that are most likely to rip you off and suggest unnecessary repairs. Hmm...

Huh, I dunno, I was gonna say exactly the opposite like "I bet you'd never see this at Midas/Mieneke/Jensen."

I work (as the front desk receptionist) at a higher (tho not highest) end dealership w/a full-service garage, and I was gonna say our garage guys are probably waaay more likely to feel like fucknag due to the repeat customers/loyalty bit b/c people who come into our shop are, ideally people who have already and we hope will in the future buy cars from us.

Fucknag posted:

^In my case it's pressure from above to "BUILD RELATIONSHIPS WITH CUSTOMERS", even if it's pointless and unreasonable poo poo like this. Retail employees have to suck the customer's dick no matter what, and since it's all one company that means we have to, too.

Granted, we are also a euro company, so our clients are not only people who buy cars b/c they want (not need) them, they are also pretty aware that if they need parts, we gon get those parts.

EDIT: I don't know why I thought this thread was new and responded to something on the first page LIKE A FOOL :gonk:, sorry guys

cluck1000 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 11, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

some texas redneck posted:

Escaped with a massive (and very well deserved) rear end chewing. Empty highway, broad daylight, running late to work... I still don't know why he didn't arrest me, but I'm glad he didn't (every other word out of his mouth was "gently caress" or "Andretti" though).

someone post the ticket a goon got for going 150 mph in his volvo 850

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

some texas redneck posted:

If you pick your time and place, I don't really have a problem with this.

quote:

Now, here's the thing, this is why I really don't like speed cameras. Cop pulls you over, they can arrest you, they can shout at you to stop being a twat, or they can give you the "if I see you again" routine - but it happens right there and then, and you drat well pay attention. Camera gets you, you get a nasty letter in the post a week later, and all it does is piss you off.

It comes down to whether you believe that the idea should be to hammer people who break the law, or to discourage people from breaking the law in the first place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

It comes down to whether you believe that the idea should be to hammer people who break the law, or to discourage people from breaking the law in the first place.

You forgot option C: make money off it.

Not that the police see any of that income, but that doesn't stop companies from pushing enormous contracts for speed cameras.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
All research states that speed limits should ideally be set at the 85th percentile speed during normal traffic flow, and yet no one changes speed limits to that.

i95 northbound from the pike to i93 in Massachusetts is rarely doing under 80 during my morning commute. It's a 55 zone. I get passed like the wind every day by someone doing 100+.

i90 (the pike) eastbound from i84 to i95 in Mass also usually averages 80. It's only a 65 zone, though.

There's actually a bill going through the state house right now to bump the limit up to 80 on the pike because frankly, anyone doing under 80 is probably a hazard. Even the truckers average around 75-80 and they're pretty drat ticket-averse due to needing to keep their jobs.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
This happened to me yesterday.

Incident area:

I'm in the turn lane to turn left. This Buick SUV is in the right lane. They have their left blinker on. I assume they wish to merge, but they don't. They drive straight into that clearly marked right turn lane, without stopping, and make a left turn.

The woman driving the car was about as you'd expect - mid forties, overweight, and on the phone. I don't know what it is about these people that makes them drive so shittily, but, hey, Colorado drivers I guess.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

BraveUlysses posted:

Passing on the right is legal here in WA :smug:

lovely drivers have adapted to this by speed matching other lovely drivers under the speed limit for such long distances that you know they're going out of their way to do it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Basically all roads and highways are designed with an 85th percentile speed in mind that ends up being significantly higher than what the speed limits end up being. It's not all just how much the road can handle safely though. Fuel economy, noise pollution, and road wear/maintenance are all concerns that should be taken into account as well. In the case where the majority of drivers on a road are breaking the law it seems rather asinine to set a limit that low because it encourages cops to prey upon some rather unhealthy social biases in deciding who to pull over.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

kastein posted:

i90 (the pike) eastbound from i84 to i95 in Mass also usually averages 80. It's only a 65 zone, though.

There's actually a bill going through the state house right now to bump the limit up to 80 on the pike because frankly, anyone doing under 80 is probably a hazard. Even the truckers average around 75-80 and they're pretty drat ticket-averse due to needing to keep their jobs.
a while back I went down to MA with some friends ... I forget how we had originally planned to get back to NY, but whatever it was fell through and someone's mother ended up driving us on the Mass Pike from about Framingham to the NY/MA border.

At 45mph. :suicide:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

cluck1000 posted:

Just discovered/fell in love with this thread!

Huh, I dunno, I was gonna say exactly the opposite like "I bet you'd never see this at Midas/Mieneke/Jensen."

I work (as the front desk receptionist) at a higher (tho not highest) end dealership w/a full-service garage, and I was gonna say our garage guys are probably waaay more likely to feel like fucknag due to the repeat customers/loyalty bit b/c people who come into our shop are, ideally people who have already and we hope will in the future buy cars from us.

Granted, we are also a euro company, so our clients are not only people who buy cars b/c they want (not need) them, they are also pretty aware that if they need parts, we gon get those parts.

EDIT: I don't know why I thought this thread was new and responded to something on the first page LIKE A FOOL :gonk:, sorry guys
Good topic of discussion though.
Do receptionists do the figurative dick sucking or do the sales/service managers handle all that? I work at a small shop and it's probably the major headache we have to deal with in the business. I've developed huge respect for people in service industries like waitressing after trying to deal with that poo poo for the last few years.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

This happened to me yesterday.

Incident area:

I'm in the turn lane to turn left. This Buick SUV is in the right lane. They have their left blinker on. I assume they wish to merge, but they don't. They drive straight into that clearly marked right turn lane, without stopping, and make a left turn.

The woman driving the car was about as you'd expect - mid forties, overweight, and on the phone. I don't know what it is about these people that makes them drive so shittily, but, hey, Colorado drivers I guess.

what the hell is that middle lane supposed to be for?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a suburb near me where I drive right at the speed limit without deviation. Not because of the police, because the town is full of privileged yuppies that blaze down 30 mph neighborhood roads at 50 in whatever luxury suv is popular this year. The type of head up their rear end bastards that refuse to acknowledge your existence if you catch a door for them or whatever.

At any rate, I drive exactly on the speed limit just to piss them off. Lots of enjoyable tailgating or drifting over the yellow lines to see if there's an opportunity to pass.

It works well based on the amount of throttle they apply when a passing lane finally opens up. :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Not because of the police, because the town is full of privileged yuppies that blaze down 30 mph neighborhood roads at 50 in whatever luxury suv is popular this year.

This is pretty much the street I live on (the "50+ MPH in a 25" part. ") My house is about three blocks from the nearest major intersection with a traffic signal, and pretty much every time I leave or return someone inevitably rides my rear end until we get to the light or I pull into my driveway.

I'm not sure who's worse - the people tailgating me when we're pulling up to a light that just turned red or the assholes who have actually tried to follow me into my driveway (presumably to bitch me out for daring to go the speedlimit) and then become even more enraged when I stop in the approach and they're stuck blocking both lanes.

Local cops are loving worthless too - it'll probably take a kid getting killed by someone doing 65 to force them to do their jobs.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

gileadexile posted:

These were taken a few weeks ago. Some from my workvan on my way back to the site and others fron my Jeep on my way home. I have my phone set to voice recognition and burst photos so it's not as dangerous. That's my story and I stick to it.

No headlights. Gray car.

Sure, cut in on me with wind and rain and no lights!

At least they used their turn signal. I've had some people cut me off so close I can't even see the rear of their car. Then they get all pissy when I thumb the air horn. I can't remember 100% but I think the nose of my truck rated that I can see something 3 feet tall, three feet in front of my bumper. Anyway, it's too loving close, and my airhorn rattles their assholes.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Not too terrible, but a few years ago my friend's parents had a rental car for a few days while their car was in the shop. Towards the end of that period, my friend and I got a ride from his mother. It seemed to us like she was driving awfully slowly, so we looked up and realized that KMH was illuminated on the speedometer. He managed to use some knobs and buttons on the dash to change in to MPH while she was still driving. For a few days she had been driving around thinking she was doing MPH when really it was KPH.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

triple clutcher posted:

a while back I went down to MA with some friends ... I forget how we had originally planned to get back to NY, but whatever it was fell through and someone's mother ended up driving us on the Mass Pike from about Framingham to the NY/MA border.

At 45mph. :suicide:

Pike westbound is always an absolute shitshow on the last day of any given weekend, or was it just that she drives like a 90 year old blind alzheimers sufferer?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm just wondering what happens when stupid people like these who clearly can't drive on safe, normal roads encounter roads like Storrow Drive or the Merritt Parkway. For those who don't know these are both old, narrow roads with no real shoulders and very heavy traffic where everyone drives whatever speed they drat well please because they're too dangerous to try to enforce anything on. The Merritt Parkway also has the advantage of no real on-ramps while Storrow gains and loses lanes like it's going out of fashion.

The Merritt scares me, Storrow I'm used to but at least most people have the sense (or the traffic is too heavy) to go under 70 on it most of the time. The Merritt though is pretty much solid 80+mph and tailgating 10 feet off your bumper (if you're lucky). I've also seen more hardcore lane weavers on the Merritt including a Bentley Continental who was somehow managing to average about 100mph through heavy traffic going about 75.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I usually don't speed to badly when I'm not on the highway. Storrow is one of those roads where I just want to be in 5th gear (50 MPH) and I'm happy. Speed limit is 35 to 40 on most of it I think, so it's not too bad. I honestly don't see people doing much more than that often, but that may be because I drive it at night when everyone is secretly drunk and trying not to get pulled over.

I may be one of those assholes on the road because I can't help but speed on Jamaicaway and Alewife Brook Parkway, not that I go faster than most of the other traffic. Two lanes on each side, 25-30 MPH speed limit but everyone is doing 40. Jaimaicaway is way more twisting than Alewife Brook, but for some reason I almost never see someone leave their lane. ABP seems to be a prime location for people to drift a foot or two out of their lane right as I'm coming up in the other lane.

wikipedia posted:

Designed with carriages in mind during an era when Jamaica Plain was a sparsely-inhabited streetcar suburb, the Jamaicaway is now a well-traveled route for motor vehicles. Adding to the volume of traffic is the Jamaicaway's proximity to the Longwood Medical and Academic Area and to main roads leading to Forest Hills, West Roxbury and the densely populated suburbs of Norfolk County. The winding nature of the road, and its heavy use by commuters lead to many accidents, as evidenced by the damage done at vehicle height to many of the trees that line the Jamaicaway.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Speed limits make a lot more sense if you figure they have to be calculated for the lowest common denominator, which is going to be some tired mid-'60s landboat with worn bias-plys and drum brakes and a driver who probably should've had their license pulled during the Bush 1 presidency.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

kastein posted:

Pike westbound is always an absolute shitshow on the last day of any given weekend, or was it just that she drives like a 90 year old blind alzheimers sufferer?
the latter. Traffic was pretty light, which was probably why we made it to NY not sprayed across the grill of a semi.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Snowdens Secret posted:

Speed limits make a lot more sense if you figure they have to be calculated for the lowest common denominator, which is going to be some tired mid-'60s landboat with worn bias-plys and drum brakes and a driver who probably should've had their license pulled during the Bush 1 presidency.

They are actually supposed to be the natural speed of the 85th percentile. And by "natural speed" I mean how fast people would drive if there was no posted limit.

The no speed limit thing worked well here in Montana. No one really drove faster than 80-85 on the interstates during the day and fatal accidents decreased during that period, mostly because people had better lane courtesy. These days Texas and Utah have 80mph limits on some sections of highway. I love that section of 15 in utah. You can pretty much get away with going 90.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 12, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

They are actually supposed to be the natural speed of the 85th percentile. And by "natural speed" I mean how fast people would drive if there was no posted limit.

The no speed limit thing worked well here in Montana. No one really drove faster than 80-85 on the interstates during the day and fatal accidents decreased during that period, mostly because people had better lane courtesy. These days Texas and Utah have 80mph limits on some sections of highway. I love that section of 15 in utah. You can pretty much get away with going 90.
When they introduced speed limits on the major roads in the UK, they found that the peak speeds, how fast the fastest cars were going, dropped, but the average speed of the traffic increased. Given a specific limit, people used their whole "allowance", even if they had otherwise been perfectly happy to drive slower when there was no limit.

Of course, this makes for a lower speed differential between slowest and fastest, which I'd agree is probably safer overall.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm just wondering what happens when stupid people like these who clearly can't drive on safe, normal roads encounter roads like Storrow Drive or the Merritt Parkway.

Exactly what you'd think. (Page 5 has the accident statistics summary).

The road mentioned in that study is a very narrow road (two lanes with no shoulder for the majority) winding through a mountain range with significant elevation changes along the route and no runoff area on the sides, you've got your choice of trees, rock faces, or steep drops waiting for you if you leave the road surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prototype14
Nov 6, 2013

InitialDave posted:

Of course, this makes for a lower speed differential between slowest and fastest, which I'd agree is probably safer overall.
I agree with this too. If you have a large body of cars doing more or less the same speed, say within 5mph, it would have to be easier to predict and overtake people than if there was a 25mph difference between one car and the next.

I don't know what the limits on beginner drivers are elsewhere, but in Australia (specifically Tasmania) they're limited to 80km/h, even on the 100-110km/h highways, which just seems to create more problems than it solves.