Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

THE CHORSE posted:

Anyway, who the gently caress are the Court of Owls?

A very goddamn stupid villain from the New 52. Well, group of villains I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Stroth posted:

A very goddamn stupid villain from the New 52. Well, group of villains I guess.

I really liked the first half of the Court of Owls arc, especially the labyrinth sequence. Everybody always gets so pissy when someone tries to add something new to Batman. It's not sacrosanct.

Anyway, looks like another patch for PS3 is in the works and should fix the bug I ran into:

quote:

Singleplayer
Addressed a few more cases of 'infinite falling' in Bridge and in the My Alibi club
Users were able to get stuck unable to grapple if you miss the helicopter in Royal Hotel. This has been fixed.
Fixed the Gotham bridge elevator so that if you backtracked you can still progress forward.
Fixed the GCPD Sewers elevator stuck in wrong state when backtracking to the area.
Should no longer be able to glide out of world with the fast travel system in the open world.
Fix potential issue when backing out too soon after creating a new save slot.
Immediately acquiring concussion detonator after using batwing now saves objective when fast traveling later.
Fixed animation crash using invalid texture’s unused memory.
On rare occasions, Batman would only have 1 health after restarting after title autosaves. This should no longer happen.
Fixed situation where users were blocked from destroying the Black Mask Drug stash due to unlocking the cage to the stash near the Courthouse then immediately entering the courthouse.
Bird Most Wanted side mission should now always start correctly.
Fixed Firefly intro movie not starting properly in certain cases.
Fix for Bane 2 not spawning again in FFC at start of prison
Users should no longer be getting stuck outside of GCPD shooting range.
Jezebel Plaza objective does not clear away in rare situations. This has been addressed.

I must be easily pleased because while the bugginess has been very disappointing, I'm willing to put up with it while waiting for patches and just enjoy the game for what it is. I must be one of the only people who thinks the changes to combat made the game more challenging (in a fun way). I never expected the quantum leap that we got from Asylum to City, so I'm just happy to have more Batman content while I wait for Rocksteady's next game in the next year or two.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So...none of the "outdoor predator" places (Steelmill, GCPD) count as actual "predator encounters" for the challenge list, I take it? I'm on the "don't use any takedowns" and definitely only used cap stun+beatdown on both the cops at the GCPD and thugs at the steelmill, yet it didn't count it.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I must be easily pleased because while the bugginess has been very disappointing, I'm willing to put up with it while waiting for patches and just enjoy the game for what it is. I must be one of the only people who thinks the changes to combat made the game more challenging (in a fun way). I never expected the quantum leap that we got from Asylum to City, so I'm just happy to have more Batman content while I wait for Rocksteady's next game in the next year or two.

Nope, that's exactly how I feel. I really like this game, even if they didn't knock it out of the park. The only bugs I've run into have been the Burnley Tower bug and the Mad Hatter bug, and then a couple of minor things like enemies getting stuck in terrain or Batman punching them through walls, which is the kind of stuff I also saw in Asylum and City so I'm a little more willing to forgive. I guess people have forgotten that having PhysX on still makes Asylum crash in certain places, or that City is still jerky as hell even on really good setups. The actual content and gameplay of Origins are very good, just not as great as Asylum or City. If this were the only Arkham game I'm pretty sure everybody would be talking about how great it is. In comparison to Asylum and City, though, it doesn't hold up. It's really easy to tell that Rocksteady had love and passion for the material and were crafting the Batman game that they, as Batman fans, really wanted to see, whereas WB Montreal cranked out a sequel to a game with established gameplay and style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

So...none of the "outdoor predator" places (Steelmill, GCPD) count as actual "predator encounters" for the challenge list, I take it? I'm on the "don't use any takedowns" and definitely only used cap stun+beatdown on both the cops at the GCPD and thugs at the steelmill, yet it didn't count it.

They do. I got the 'don't be seen' one on two dudes standing on a rooftop and that particular one at the GCPD. It may (shock of shocks) be glitched

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I never expected the quantum leap that we got from Asylum to City

Well I doubt there will be another jump so substantial as that. How do you escalate beyond Arkham City? Arkham County? Arkham Country? Big-rear end Arkham World?

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

RyokoTK posted:

Well I doubt there will be another jump so substantial as that. How do you escalate beyond Arkham City? Arkham County? Arkham Country? Big-rear end Arkham World?

A Justice League game that takes place in multiple cities (Gotham, Metropolis, Blüdhaven) and features unique gameplay for every character.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I only posted that to quote one of my favorite thug chatter lines from Arkham City, sorry. v:shobon:v

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

THE CHORSE posted:

A Justice League game that takes place in multiple cities (Gotham, Metropolis, Blüdhaven) and features unique gameplay for every character.

Please God.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ImpAtom posted:

They do. I got the 'don't be seen' one on two dudes standing on a rooftop and that particular one at the GCPD. It may (shock of shocks) be glitched

Well I've tried GCPD (twice,) steelmill (both the entrance and another rooftop), and the Final Offer twice, and I can't get the "no takedown" one to credit.

I'm done for tonight...maybe if I try tomorrow after quitting and restarting it will work, otherwise I'll say "gently caress it" and just do the Most Wanted and the few Enigma stuff to finish it out and go to NG+ to finish the challenges.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If Rocksteady could somehow make a game with three fully fleshed out distinct cities, each of which had their own playstyle, while also making it their first game for a next-generation console and presumably early in that console's life, I would pretty gladly declare them wizards.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RyokoTK posted:

Silver Age Batman

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

THE CHORSE posted:

The closest we've gotten to that is, I kid you not, Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes.

That was one incredibly drawn-out series of fights against a giant robot, let me tell you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I got at least one on the GCPD rooftop, and another two I think (one of them was the smoke pellet challenge) outside the steel mill.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I figure the next logical step is moving into GTAV territory. We get full sized Gotham, with outside areas including Wayne Manor, and Bludhaven. We also get multiple playable characters that we might even possibly be able to switch between when not doing a story mission.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ToastyPotato posted:

I figure the next logical step is moving into GTAV territory. We get full sized Gotham, with outside areas including Wayne Manor, and Bludhaven. We also get multiple playable characters that we might even possibly be able to switch between when not doing a story mission.

Meh. One of the shortcomings of Origins is that it demonstrates how bigger isn't necessarily better. I'd prefer a "small" (by current standards) game world if that meant dense content throughout over a bigger world filled with stretches of little to no content. Rocksteady could break new ground with player-controlled vehicles, some new playable characters with their own powers/styles, and some new settings. I know I keep harping on the Silver Age angle, but it would give them a wealth of new options, settings, tones, and characters to play with. Origins already scraped the bottom of the barrel in terms of new characters in this type of world that takes itself seriously. A Silver Age game with some more tongue-in-cheek writing would be a nice new direction instead of staying in the Arkham continuity and setting.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I would really prefer another game like Asylum or Blackgate (but maybe more competent than the latter). A little smaller, but handled with a lot more finesse, and with one smaller but really well-constructed narrative. City's plot was preposterous, and I'm saying that about a game where the main character dresses like a bat and punches people at night. The problem is that, now that City and Origins exist, how can they go back?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

RyokoTK posted:

I'm hoping they'd do other superheroes. Don't get me wrong, I love Batman and still hope every other game would be a Batman game but i'd love to see them tackle a Superman game. They GOT Batman and no one who has made a Superman game actually GOT Superman so... that'd be neat.

Either that or finish this loving The Flash game that got canned because fuuuuuuuck that looks fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrtwUQXuSXY

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

A Silver Age game with some more tongue-in-cheek writing would be a nice new direction instead of staying in the Arkham continuity and setting.

If they do go Silver Age, I doubt they would risk changing the tone like that. Which is a shame, because a less serious Batman resulted in one of my favorite animated series ever:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm kinda maxed-out on grimdark Batman. I would eagerly welcome a Silver-Age Batman that was nonetheless irony-free. (Which is pretty much exactly how Batman BATB handled it: "yes, everything is ridiculous. This is how the world works. Roll with it." It was bizarre but didn't make me feel ashamed to like it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

If they do go Silver Age, I doubt they would risk changing the tone like that. Which is a shame, because a less serious Batman resulted in one of my favorite animated series ever:

I would buy a copy of Arkham and the Bold for every person I knew if they made it.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

RyokoTK posted:

According to DC One Million, that would be Arkham Pluto of the 853rd century. The game's plot will be advertised as focusing on Starman's betrayal of Justice Legion A to Solaris, the Tyrant Sun, but it'll turn out that Starman was actually the Joker in disguise the whole time.

I'm playing on PC, and does anyone know if there's a way to turn the taser fists off? I really, really don't like what they do to the flow of combat and how they'll sometimes turn themselves on if I strike too fast coming off a block. Is it possible to alter the flag saying I've acquired them, or change the activation buttons to something I never use like scroll lock and print screen?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Finished the game today, just bulldozered through the story and uninstalled. I didn't 100% Arkham City either, but at least I did a bunch of sidequests because the game was fun. At first I thought it wouldn't be so bad to have more of the same, but this game somehow manages to do everything worse than its predecessor. Same boss fights but less fun, terrible grappling in Predator encounters, glitches, glitches, glitches, the flow of combat isn't as good, etc. Quite disappointing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well poo poo, got up to the Steel Mill in I Am The Night, took out a sniper with a silent takedown in the predator room ahead of freeing Black Mask and suddenly two other snipers locked in on me out of nowhere and blew me away before I had a chance to react.

I think I'm done with Origins for now, the idea of starting I Am The Night all over again really doesn't appeal. I think I'm gonna go back to Arkham City and pick back up those achievements that didn't carryover with my save when they upped me to the GOTY edition.

:argh:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Is the Steam UI supposed to be unavailable in Origins? I occurred to me last night that I don't get the "Press Shift+Tab to access Steam" popup when first starting the game, shift+tab doesn't bring it up, and I haven't been getting any achievement popups.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Odd, i tried the use on beatdown ones on the rooftops but couldn't get it to trigger either.

Also, I take it there's no way of re-starting the non new game+ mode with all of your stuff intact? I just want to maybe replay the campaign with everything unlocked without having to deal with the no counters and ninja/shock/shield bastards everywhere.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Well poo poo, got up to the Steel Mill in I Am The Night, took out a sniper with a silent takedown in the predator room ahead of freeing Black Mask and suddenly two other snipers locked in on me out of nowhere and blew me away before I had a chance to react.

Hahaha, my latest attempt ended at the exact same point with the exact same death. Don't think I've ever used as many profanities before as when I saw those two sniper lasers lock onto me. Wish I had remembered to use smoke pellet, instead I panicked and just tried to grapple away immediately.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 11, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Orgophlax posted:

Is the Steam UI supposed to be unavailable in Origins? I occurred to me last night that I don't get the "Press Shift+Tab to access Steam" popup when first starting the game, shift+tab doesn't bring it up, and I haven't been getting any achievement popups.
You've got gremlins! You should be getting all of those.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 11, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Meh. One of the shortcomings of Origins is that it demonstrates how bigger isn't necessarily better. I'd prefer a "small" (by current standards) game world if that meant dense content throughout over a bigger world filled with stretches of little to no content. Rocksteady could break new ground with player-controlled vehicles, some new playable characters with their own powers/styles, and some new settings. I know I keep harping on the Silver Age angle, but it would give them a wealth of new options, settings, tones, and characters to play with. Origins already scraped the bottom of the barrel in terms of new characters in this type of world that takes itself seriously. A Silver Age game with some more tongue-in-cheek writing would be a nice new direction instead of staying in the Arkham continuity and setting.

Have you tried Lego Batman 2? It has pretty much everything you want there.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well I've tried GCPD (twice,) steelmill (both the entrance and another rooftop), and the Final Offer twice, and I can't get the "no takedown" one to credit.

I'm done for tonight...maybe if I try tomorrow after quitting and restarting it will work, otherwise I'll say "gently caress it" and just do the Most Wanted and the few Enigma stuff to finish it out and go to NG+ to finish the challenges.

It's quite possible they only count as predator encounters on their first go.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Lego Batman 2 is glorious, even though its different than advertised.

The Justice League does show up, but only at the very end - more of an extended easter egg than anything truly crazy.

But the bulk of the game is basically The World's Finest - with Superman at his most obliviously cheerful egging on an incredibly grumpy Batman. It is amazingly good at capturing the characters without hammering away at them.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
So I went back and finished up AA and replayed AC over the weekend. While AC still has one or two snipers floating around at the end of the game it is a far cry from AO. If nothing else the snipers in AC pretty much never look at each other so it is easy to take them down. The ones AO all stare right at each other so (at least so far for me) it has been almost impossible to take them out undetected. There are also a lot more snipers at the end of AO then the end of AC. When gliding around it is also much easier to find stuff to grapple onto for an elevation boost in AC.

Combat in AC is definitely smoother then AO, although at least AO beats out AA (although in AA's defense it was the first game combat was awesome for its time).

I am having a hard time finding the motivation to go back and do NG+ in AO. After playing through All 3 games in a very short period of time I have a hard time coming up with a single thing that is better about AO then AC.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

TheGreySpectre posted:

I am having a hard time finding the motivation to go back and do NG+ in AO. After playing through All 3 games in a very short period of time I have a hard time coming up with a single thing that is better about AO then AC.

Well the story primarily. It's easily the best one they've ever done, not to mention things like Batman actually having a character arc (although in fairness theres a lot more room for that being a year 2 story). I've done the same thing with replaying AA and AC. Both ending up being not as great as I had remembered, although all three games are classics. Bane's previous incarnations in the other games was laughably bad, and even though new villains would be appreciated, it was absolutely wonderful they redeemed him. I even forgot about my joker fatigue with how well they handled him here (although, please lets move on in the future). And I'm glad they largely eliminated one of my least favorite tropes of games where the character you're playing gets foolishly captured or knocked out just to further the plot (man was AC bad about that).

There are also some really minor things like the knife takedown timing is a lot lot better in AO (its a lot closer to AA's timing, whereas AC's was annoying). And the fact that there were 300 less Riddler trophies (some of the AC ones were legitimately good puzzles, but at that number massively redundant and a huge time filler).

Really AO's biggest flaw is the things they changed from AC instead of keeping the same like the upgrade system and challenges. If not for that, I'd probably consider AO the better game (aside from consideration for AC being bold enough to take such great strides forward or any criticism of AO for not being as ambitious).

In an ideal world the next game would be written by WB Montreal and built by Rocksteady.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

TheGreySpectre posted:

So I went back and finished up AA and replayed AC over the weekend. While AC still has one or two snipers floating around at the end of the game it is a far cry from AO. If nothing else the snipers in AC pretty much never look at each other so it is easy to take them down. The ones AO all stare right at each other so (at least so far for me) it has been almost impossible to take them out undetected. There are also a lot more snipers at the end of AO then the end of AC. When gliding around it is also much easier to find stuff to grapple onto for an elevation boost in AC.

Combat in AC is definitely smoother then AO, although at least AO beats out AA (although in AA's defense it was the first game combat was awesome for its time).

If you are talking about the snipers in the Diamond District, take out the lone one on the roof when you are able, pop behind cover, multibatarang the three (2 snipers 1 gun) when they turn their attention away, dive right in knock out the regular unarmed thug, then just KO the gun-toters. They stay down pretty long as long as you have the batarang stun upgrade. That's the best I've been able to get.

Also playing without counter indicators feels good again, although I spent wayyyyy too much time trying to figure out martial artists in general via the training challenge over and over, timing to not fub your counter and your combo and what is coming, since they have two sets of attacks you have to watch out for. Although for some reason on some combat challenge maps, knife/bottle wielders seem impossible to spot. Or maybe it's just Overflow being a dumb map.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

It's quite possible they only count as predator encounters on their first go.

Nope, it seems bugged for me in some way...either the rank as a whole, or (hopefully) just not triggering on outdoor Predator encounters.

I started a NG+, and as soon as I could free roam I went to the GCPD and took them all down with cape stun+beatdown, and it didn't trigger. So I'll have to keep doing the story until I get a "real" predator encounter and see if it will work then.

Luckily, the rest of the challenge list are ones that can be done in pretty much any encounter room, unlike that POS rank 6 that can ONLY be done in the bank, it seems.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The martial artists are easy. If they're coming at you, assume it's a double attack and hit counter twice. If you attacked them first, expect a block and an immediate counter-attack and be prepared to throw up a counter counter-attack.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

The martial artists are easy. If they're coming at you, assume it's a double attack and hit counter twice. If you attacked them first, expect a block and an immediate counter-attack and be prepared to throw up a counter counter-attack.
Yeah--before playing, I was expecting them to be another pain in the rear end like like knife guys, but they're actually pretty easy to dispose of.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Well the story primarily. It's easily the best one they've ever done, not to mention things like Batman actually having a character arc (although in fairness theres a lot more room for that being a year 2 story). I've done the same thing with replaying AA and AC. Both ending up being not as great as I had remembered, although all three games are classics. Bane's previous incarnations in the other games was laughably bad, and even though new villains would be appreciated, it was absolutely wonderful they redeemed him. I even forgot about my joker fatigue with how well they handled him here (although, please lets move on in the future). And I'm glad they largely eliminated one of my least favorite tropes of games where the character you're playing gets foolishly captured or knocked out just to further the plot (man was AC bad about that).

There are also some really minor things like the knife takedown timing is a lot lot better in AO (its a lot closer to AA's timing, whereas AC's was annoying). And the fact that there were 300 less Riddler trophies (some of the AC ones were legitimately good puzzles, but at that number massively redundant and a huge time filler).

Really AO's biggest flaw is the things they changed from AC instead of keeping the same like the upgrade system and challenges. If not for that, I'd probably consider AO the better game (aside from consideration for AC being bold enough to take such great strides forward or any criticism of AO for not being as ambitious).

I don't even remember there being knife takedowns in Asylum, I thought knife guys were the guys you had to stun before hitting in Asylum, similar to armored guys in City and Origins, although there is no beatdown move in Asylum either.

Other than that I agree wholeheartedly, Origins would be my favorite game of the series pretty easily if there were fewer glitches, the timing in combat was more similar to City, and the upgrades and challenges were more open like they were in City.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sober posted:

If you are talking about the snipers in the Diamond District, take out the lone one on the roof when you are able, pop behind cover, multibatarang the three (2 snipers 1 gun) when they turn their attention away, dive right in knock out the regular unarmed thug, then just KO the gun-toters. They stay down pretty long as long as you have the batarang stun upgrade. That's the best I've been able to get.

I haven't tried it, but aren't snipers usually on small platforms that are reasonably high? Couldn't you use the boost on a remote control batarang to KO them outright from behind cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptide
Jun 26, 2012
Uhhh did I break something? I went to confront (side quest spoilers) Deadshot and I took him down super easily, and the "Capture all of Black Mask's Assassins" achievement popped up. But...the hostage is still in the room, and in the most wanted list, Deadshot is listed as 0% complete. My map still displays the sidequest.

edit: according to the Internet, I'm boned, because I took him down too quickly. No workaround. This is the buggiest 360 game I've ever seen.

Riptide fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 11, 2013

• Locked thread