Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I am having some issues trying to get Voicemail Preview working on Exchange 2013.

We have recently got an Avaya IP Office system and I have managed to get the systems to talk to each other enough that you get the voicemail playback controls within the email, but I cannot get a text transcript to appear. Is there something obvious that I am missing?
The really obvious - 'Allow Voice Mail Preview' is enabled in your effective UM Mailbox Policy, correct? If Exchange is receiving the call and generating the voicemail, your PBX is handing off fine, so you don't have to worry about that side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Syano posted:

Create a temporary send connector that routes via DNS instead of smarthost and have it send your mail for a while and see if it still happens. If that fixes it, make sure you havent had any public IP changes recently that you havent updated with your smarthost. Make sure you arent doing in wan load balancing. Stuff like that

It's not the send connector. It's the receive. Sending is fine.

Gyshall posted:

Add more RAM. Do you have that server doing anything else or just Exchange?

No it's just Exchange, but it's all of the roles.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can you reproduce the issue? I'd also check the event logs and see if you see anything happening when you reproduce it.

Were you able to add more memory to the server?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

wyoak posted:

The really obvious - 'Allow Voice Mail Preview' is enabled in your effective UM Mailbox Policy, correct? If Exchange is receiving the call and generating the voicemail, your PBX is handing off fine, so you don't have to worry about that side.

Allow Voice Mail Preview is indeed checked. However, Exchange is not currently handling the calls- it is just being passed the voicemail from the Avaya Voicemail Pro server with Outlook installed. I assumed that as the playback control appeared, rather than just having the voicemail as an attached wav file that I was close to getting the text preview.

How would I go about setting my Exchange up to receive calls from the IP Office (running r9)? I can't find much good information on how to do this. Can I do it direct, or will I need some sort of SIP intermediary? Sorry for the silly questions, I am just starting out with UM.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Allow Voice Mail Preview is indeed checked. However, Exchange is not currently handling the calls- it is just being passed the voicemail from the Avaya Voicemail Pro server with Outlook installed. I assumed that as the playback control appeared, rather than just having the voicemail as an attached wav file that I was close to getting the text preview.

How would I go about setting my Exchange up to receive calls from the IP Office (running r9)? I can't find much good information on how to do this. Can I do it direct, or will I need some sort of SIP intermediary? Sorry for the silly questions, I am just starting out with UM.
Ahhh....if Avaya is actually generating the voicemail, I'm out of my depth. I don't know much about direct integration between Voicemail Pro and UM. Maybe Voicemail Pro packages the voicemail in a format such that Outlook knows to use its voicemail form when opening the message, so UM actually isn't in the picture, but that's a complete shot in the dark.

Unified Messaging does use SIP, our setup is an ancient definity phone system -> SIP Gateway via T1 -> Unified Messaging. Basically it just hands the call off to Unified Messaging via a coverage path, UM sees the extension it came from, and calls the appropriate voicemail box (or auto attendant). I've never used a SIP-enabled IP office, but if you've got SIP already, it may just be a matter of telling your IP Office to send certain calls to the UM box's IP (and telling UM to use the IP Office as its SIP gateway).

wyoak fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 11, 2013

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Lord Dudeguy posted:

It's not the send connector. It's the receive. Sending is fine.

No it's just Exchange, but it's all of the roles.

Anything going on with your firewall? I had an issue where a Watchguard firewall had the intrusion prevention (IPS) enabled on the SMTP 25 firewall rule and it worked fine for the longest time then started breaking port 25 connections randomly, likely an updated IPS definition that hosed poo poo. Anyway, might be worth ruling the firewall out just to be safe as well, if you can't find any Exchange transport related errors.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Morganus_Starr posted:

Anything going on with your firewall? I had an issue where a Watchguard firewall had the intrusion prevention (IPS) enabled on the SMTP 25 firewall rule and it worked fine for the longest time then started breaking port 25 connections randomly, likely an updated IPS definition that hosed poo poo. Anyway, might be worth ruling the firewall out just to be safe as well, if you can't find any Exchange transport related errors.

No error messages in the event logs that I could find.

This is occurring on the LAN. Hosts that are directly SMTPing (monitoring systems, etc) are also experiencing the same problem.

I just rebooted the server last night. It was running for 6 months solid.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Is there a lync thread and if not can I poo poo this thread up with Lync stuff?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Is there a lync thread and if not can I poo poo this thread up with Lync stuff?

Fire away.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I don't have time for Lync I have another Exchange thing!

Here is the deal. There is a whole complicated migration process for moving Exchange public folders from 2007/2010 to 2013. The thing is I do not want the public folders. Don't want them, don't want to migrate them. Is there a way for me to just tell Exchange 2013, forget about the old environment, give me a fresh slate? Give the mailbox databases a brand new public folder db.

this is what I'm following
http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2013/migration-deployment/migrating-public-folders-exchange-2013-part1.html

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

The thing is I do not want the public folders.

I removed the Public Folder database from the old Exchange server and made sure the OAB isn't using public folders (you shouldn't be anyway) to be distributed. I then migrated to the new exchange sever. I haven't had public folders since Exchange 2010 cause who the hell actually used them but weirdoes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876883(v=exchg.141).aspx

Now for why I actually came here. Has secure email been defined yet in a RFC? ALTA put it on their best practices with no define what it means. This is kind of a big deal and I was wondering what you guys thought since we don't have an SMTP thread.

Intrepid00 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 12, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Check this out -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876883%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

You're looking at the "Remove the last public folder database from an org"

Some considerations like the version of outlook you're using, etc.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Intrepid00 posted:

I removed the Public Folder database from the old Exchange server and made sure the OAB isn't using public folders (you shouldn't be anyway) to be distributed. I then migrated to the new exchange sever. I haven't had public folders since Exchange 2010 cause who the hell actually used them but weirdoes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876883(v=exchg.141).aspx

ok but it won't let me do this if mailbox databases are referencing the public folder db... will it?

if I do get-mailboxdatabase on the new databases for the public folder info I see a public folder (on the old server) referenced. So if I remove the public folder db, what will happen?

New server is in production so I don't want to cause a booboo. I assume it will error out though.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

ok but it won't let me do this if mailbox databases are referencing the public folder db... will it?

if I do get-mailboxdatabase on the new databases for the public folder info I see a public folder (on the old server) referenced. So if I remove the public folder db, what will happen?

New server is in production so I don't want to cause a booboo. I assume it will error out though.

When in doubt setup a test environment (always be in doubt). The attached guide is what I used but if you delete the public folder database and forget something you will have public folders showing up (they are defined in AD) that don't work and OAB can't be downloaded errors at worst I believe.

Intrepid00 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 12, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I would phase the Public Folders out - stop replicating OAB through them, free+busy, etc. Do that over the course of a few weeks, to make sure No One Complains (TM)

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

Free busy though has a replacement and doesn't need public folders. I wouldn't worry about that going poof.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

ugh ok :smithcloud:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hey so FYI I'm going ahead with migrating these public folders that I don't care about. Tip: if your old Exchange server is running powershell 1 the scripts will fail.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah you should probably install the prerequisites on all your servers before migration bro.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't go overboard and upgrade to PS3.0, because E2010 doesn't like that!

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Ok I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask but figured it would be a good place to start as I'm having an issue in outlook but I don't know if Exchange is causing it. We are on Exchange 03 in the process of migrating to 2010.

My CIO, using Office 2013, let me know when he puts name in the To/CC/BCC field they show up as Brad Smith, like they should, but sometimes it will go Brad Smith, Amy Smith, John Smith <jsmith@companyname.com>, Hank Smith. I'm trying to figure out why it randomly adds in the bracket with the email address cause it doesn't do it all the time and it doesn't matter how you add them to the field from the GAL.

If this was a normal user I'd tell them to deal with it cause its a non issue but since its coming from on high I'm the one who has to deal with it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Ok I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask but figured it would be a good place to start as I'm having an issue in outlook but I don't know if Exchange is causing it. We are on Exchange 03 in the process of migrating to 2010.

My CIO, using Office 2013, let me know when he puts name in the To/CC/BCC field they show up as Brad Smith, like they should, but sometimes it will go Brad Smith, Amy Smith, John Smith <jsmith@companyname.com>, Hank Smith. I'm trying to figure out why it randomly adds in the bracket with the email address cause it doesn't do it all the time and it doesn't matter how you add them to the field from the GAL.

If this was a normal user I'd tell them to deal with it cause its a non issue but since its coming from on high I'm the one who has to deal with it.

he's probably pulling from the cached or personal address list, have him type "John" and when "John Smith <jsmith@companyname.com>" pops up as a suggestion, highlight and click delete. then type john's name again and let GAL resolve it - should show up like everyone else.

Look in his contacts and suggested contacts and see if john smith is listed there, if he is delete it (before doing what I said).

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Also backup your web.config and disable your URL rewrite rules when install update rollups.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Jeoh posted:

They fixed this in a rollup. You can deploy 3.0 again (if you're on SP3+the rollup). However, now they're doing a warning to not roll out PS 4.0 to all non-server platforms (EXC,sharepoint).

All of my wut.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

You may want to include the web.config in some of the subfolders in IIS too. I have a user who needed to send larger attachments via ActiveSync, and a rollup helpfully overwrote the tweak.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

I have a bit of an issue popping up with Online Archives in Exchange 2013.
I have a user who has Full Access to a mailbox of someone who left a little while ago. That user can see the set of live folders in their Outlook, but not the archives. I thought that as long as someone had full access, they would get the archive to appear. Am I missing something obvious?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

incoherent posted:

They fixed this in a rollup. You can deploy 3.0 again (if you're on SP3+the rollup)

Got a link for this? The stuff i'm reading still says 3.0 is unsupported.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/12/14/windows-management-framework-3-0-on-exchange-2007-and-exchange-2010.aspx

Bright yellow box at the top. My memory was hazy and it was just in SP3.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Update 9/19/13: A side-by-side coexistence of PowerShell 3.0 and PowerShell 2.0 is supported starting with Exchange 2010 SP3. Note that Exchange 2010 will only use PowerShell 2.0 so PowerShell 2.0 is still a required component.

So does this mean that I can install 3.0, but not actually use any of the 3.0 features?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

That is correct. On the server and administration side you'll get all the features of 3.0, but managing exchange will be 2.0.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Right well that is fine. I can finally use some sweet export-csv -append action.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Our GFI mail archive installation went live this morning, in no small part thanks to reccomendations from this thread. It is pretty darn awesome. Install was completely painless. Web interface is snappy and the built in reports are fantastic. This is going to make legal compliance sooooo much easier. Highly reccomend if you need an archive solution

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

Syano posted:

Our GFI mail archive installation went live this morning, in no small part thanks to reccomendations from this thread. It is pretty darn awesome. Install was completely painless. Web interface is snappy and the built in reports are fantastic. This is going to make legal compliance sooooo much easier. Highly reccomend if you need an archive solution

How does it compare to the built in archiving functionality of Exchange 2010?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

TKovacs2 posted:

Ive only used the built in archive solution in a lab environment. That being said, GFI is way ahead as far as functionality and ease of use

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

TKovacs2 posted:

We have been using it for 4+ years. It is pretty good as long as you use SQL server. I would suggest making sure you use the put it all in SQL option. We have something over a million emails archived and online in yearly stores and the search engine finds what we are looking for searching it all within 10 seconds on first search. Further searches are under 3 seconds.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So, after months from putting down the migration from one 2010 box in our home office to another 2010 box in our DR site, I'm getting back into it and I just realized I never set up a CAS array. Good job, me.

How hosed am I creating this after the fact? I have about 50 users, so its really not the biggest of deals to go around and point them at the new CAS array.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What do they point at now? Just create a new array, with something like mail2.yourcompany.com, test it, and if it works, change the main DNS record for mail.yourcompany.com or whatever it is pointing at to look at the new CAS, if that makes sense.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

What do they point at now? Just create a new array, with something like mail2.yourcompany.com, test it, and if it works, change the main DNS record for mail.yourcompany.com or whatever it is pointing at to look at the new CAS, if that makes sense.

Right now the CAS is just the server name. I for some stupid reason didn't create a CAS for a single server when I did the initial install/migration from 2003.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah CAS should be the outside address name (mail.yourcompany.com) and should be set up with Split DNS, at least for Exchange 2007+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Yeah CAS should be the outside address name (mail.yourcompany.com) and should be set up with Split DNS, at least for Exchange 2007+.

Odd, everything I'm seeing says that the CAS array shouldn't be advertised outside of the network.

Anyway, I'm way behind on Exchange updates anyway so my first order of business is to get both servers on SP3 and the latest rollup before doing anything.