Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

GrimRevenant posted:

Fixed. My mistake. Sorry! :shobon:

Thanks!

Lazyfire posted:

Good luck with this, Gatz, I think we all know the history around people here trying to LP this game. It's stopped at least five people now.

RIP Hampooj. :qq:

TheMcD posted:

This should be a lot of fun.

Voting for a female Gangrel for entirely selfish reasons (already ran through the game as a Ventrue, dreaming about one day doing a narrative LP as a Ventrue).

I always have thoughts of doing a narrative LP, like some political LP of that old Floor 13 DOS game, then I remember that it takes me twice as long to write fiction than it does nonfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Even though my playthroughs of this game number in the double digits, I feel compelled to follow this. I love this game so drat much.

The dialogue in this game is so great you almost owe it to yourself to play as a talky character. So I guess I'm voting for Female Ventrue as well.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

The previous full LP of this game had a male tremere, so I'm voting for a Female Ventrue. Highest voted name is fine with me.

Oh it did? In that case, I change my vote to Male Ventrue, name whatever people want.

insanityv2 posted:

Even though my playthroughs of this game number in the double digits, I feel compelled to follow this. I love this game so drat much.

The dialogue in this game is so great you almost owe it to yourself to play as a talky character. So I guess I'm voting for Female Ventrue as well.

It's an amazing game, definitely in my top 5 of all time. It's a shame about the bugginess, I wish it had been more recieved. I feel like the WoD is kind of untapped as far as games go and so many awesome games could come out of it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

gatz posted:

RIP Hampooj. :qq:

If you make it past the hotel I think you will have out done all the ones I've seen, either that or getting past the reveal that the vampire twins are actually one insane vampire which I believe comes up right after.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Lazyfire posted:

If you make it past the hotel I think you will have out done all the ones I've seen, either that or getting past the reveal that the vampire twins are actually one insane vampire which I believe comes up right after.

Really? That's surprisingly quick. I'd figure most LPs would only give up once those sewers come up.

As an aside, I like the fact I can just say those sewers and most people already know what I mean.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Oh cool, Bloodlines.

Does anyone want the rough perspective of what's Going Down around this time? There's some huge shakeups which are canonically going down around this time in the underworld, the world of Mages (which the Tremere were until they sacrificed awesome True Magic for cut-rate blood magic), and, well, everything. Some of these shakeups are actually relevant (Week of Nightmares), others are just cool things that people might want to know for context, because again, I'm a Mage player not a Vamp one and my perspective is basically entirely that of an outsider looking in (and setting vampires on fire with plasma cannon).

(Also, amusingly enough, oWoD's Mage is still being supported after all this time).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TheMcD posted:

Really? That's surprisingly quick. I'd figure most LPs would only give up once those sewers come up.

As an aside, I like the fact I can just say those sewers and most people already know what I mean.

Don't quote me on that one, but back in the dark days when SSLP ruled the forums there were a few attempts at the game that ended right after either of those two plot points, and then a VLP of one that I believe got a bit further, but not much.

Game's cursed is what I'm saying.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Why did you have to remind me of this gigantic stain on an otherwise mostly fantastic game. :negative:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I last played this as a Female Ventrue, and I hate things that are different. :colbert:

Don't really care about the name, but something appropriately pretentious would be good.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

TheMcD posted:

I liked those loving sewers but I really hated the motherfucking RAPTOR outta nowhere! Please do that justice if you get there!.

Also voting for Male Nosferatu because after Malkavian, those are the most hilarious reactions you get from people.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 11, 2013

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Also voting for Male Nosferatu because after Malkavian, those are the most hilarious reactions you get from people.

gatz posted:

The Nosferatu are the same as the Malkavians in the respect that they are more suited for a gimmick run of the game. You have to avoid being in the near vicinity of a human or else you get a)attention drawn to you or b)a masquerade violation if multiple people see you at the same time. Conversations, when playing as a Nosferatu, usually open with the NPC noting how disgusting you look and then the conversation continues as it would with any other clan. I will not be accepting votes for playing as a nosferatu.

While I'm not going to laugh, I am going to find this at least somewhat amusing.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

TheMcD posted:

While I'm not going to laugh, I am going to find this at least somewhat amusing.

I am the worst at reading comprehension, I will now retire to my basement and grow a beard, RIP. It is a pity that the two best runs aren't gonna happen though, that kinda takes most of the fun outta this game. :smith:

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

MJ12 posted:

Oh cool, Bloodlines.

Does anyone want the rough perspective of what's Going Down around this time? There's some huge shakeups which are canonically going down around this time in the underworld, the world of Mages (which the Tremere were until they sacrificed awesome True Magic for cut-rate blood magic), and, well, everything. Some of these shakeups are actually relevant (Week of Nightmares), others are just cool things that people might want to know for context, because again, I'm a Mage player not a Vamp one and my perspective is basically entirely that of an outsider looking in (and setting vampires on fire with plasma cannon).

(Also, amusingly enough, oWoD's Mage is still being supported after all this time).

That would be a nice set up to the LP and would definitely be featured in the second post.

A Tartan Tory posted:

I am the worst at reading comprehension, I will now retire to my basement and grow a beard, RIP. It is a pity that the two best runs aren't gonna happen though, that kinda takes most of the fun outta this game. :smith:

They are the two most unique runs, but they're also the two least accessible to someone not familiar with the game.

Lazyfire posted:

Don't quote me on that one, but back in the dark days when SSLP ruled the forums there were a few attempts at the game that ended right after either of those two plot points, and then a VLP of one that I believe got a bit further, but not much.

Game's cursed is what I'm saying.

A big benefit of doing a SSLP of this is that I can easily leave out content without breaking the flow like it would in a VLP. This will come in handy during those sewers.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Also what patches will you be playing with? Vanilla? Wesps? Going all out with the clan quest mod? Also if we do go Female Ventrue, how about Madison as a name?

ETA: Alternatively, Carrington.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 12, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
8.8 plus, as stated in the OP. No clan quest, companion mod, or meet n gently caress vampire mod or whatever the hell that poo poo is.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Why if it isn't the plebs. Don't you dare look upon me, don't you know I am Regina E. Butterscotch? What's that? How dare you! I'll have you know that I'm a close friend of the Ventrue Clan Leader in this city. If you don't moderate your tone, childe, you'll be staked before you can say 'inquisition'!

Oh, drat it all. There's just no point talking to malkavians. Bunch of chavs.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I loved your Redemption LP, so I'll be following this one closely! I say we go with a female Gangrel called Belle because I'm in a bit of a Disney mood at the moment.

If you manage to beat the curse of this game, it'd be great if you could follow up with a Malk run to show off just how much detail they put into the silly dialogue. You know you're looking at dedication when they write what's almost an entire separate game just for one clan. If only they'd had the time to put that much work into the second half of the game...

quote:

I will not be accepting votes for playing as a nosferatu.
What really annoyed me about the Nos in this game is that they don't even try to hide their disfigurement. A Nosferatu going unnoticed on the streets thanks to an all-concealing coat and hat is one thing; a Nos casually strolling around in a leather gimp outfit is just plain silly.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

inflatablefish posted:

What really annoyed me about the Nos in this game is that they don't even try to hide their disfigurement. A Nosferatu going unnoticed on the streets thanks to an all-concealing coat and hat is one thing; a Nos casually strolling around in a leather gimp outfit is just plain silly.

Yeah, wasn't there some level of obfuscation in the table top game that allowed the nos to look like a regular human?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yeah. 3 dots of obfuscation gave you Mask of a Thousand Faces.

Would have been cool to have in the game but basically impossible to implement. There's already so, so much dialogue in this game especially with the 7 playable clans.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 11, 2013

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

insanityv2 posted:

Yeah. 3 dots of obfuscation gave you Mask of a Thousand Faces.

Would have been cool to have in the game but basically impossible to implement. There's already so, so much dialogue in this game especially with the 7 playable clans.

Still, they could have handled it better than have everyone just ignore your face. Maybe let you learn it as a plot-point partway through the game, which would then unlock the side-missions which needed you to speak with mortals?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

gatz posted:

That would be a nice set up to the LP and would definitely be featured in the second post.

Okay, approximately in this time (1999) in the World of Darkness, the Week of Nightmares was happening. The Week of Nightmares was this huge megacrossover event (like comic ones, and just like comic ones it wasn't terribly well thought out) involving vampires, mages, werewolves, and wraiths. Now, why do I say it wasn't well though out?

Normally, the games exist in similar but different settings. If you're playing mage, for example, the vampires are just these pipsqueaks who think they control the mortal world but are covertly doing the Technocracy's bidding, more or less, by hiding evidence of the supernatural (just the way the Union wants it). If you're playing vampire, mages are generally just hedge sorcerers, not these godlike beings of nigh-omnipotent power that they are in their own line. In werewolf, the important thing to remember is that everything is controlled by Captain Planet Villains who are also demons.

Of course, you then mashed all the settings together for the Week of Nightmares, which is hilarious. There was a lot of angry fan backlash at this, especially vampire fans. There may still be flamewars to this day. There definitely were when this metaplot thing hugely altered the Mage line.

Anyways, in the Week of Nightmares, three really important things happened:

1. There was a Sabbat-Camarilla war that involved mass embraces and mass deaths of new vampires. This woke up an ancient Antediluvian, a ridiculously powerful vampire god. This is mostly a Vampire thing, but it spilled over into Mage. The Sabbat and Camarilla will be explained in more detail through this LP, so don't worry if you're not familiar with the terms yet.

2. Some guys in Wraith nuked a city in the underworld with the ghost of the first nuclear bomb. That city happened to have the "True Black Hand" in it, IIRC (who were a spooky double probationary secret society of vampires who knew the ~truth~ about everything and nobody liked because their book was awful so they got nuked).

3. In Mage, one of the Houses of the Order of Hermes, House Janissary, was exterminated by another mage faction, the Euthanatos. To explain this in more detail, the Order of Hermes were some of the most powerful non-Technocratic mages (the Technocracy being an organization of mages which seeks to impose order and predictability on a fundamentally chaotic world). They have various houses, which specialize in various things. Tremere was once one of their houses, until their, well, vampirism accident. Even to this day, Hermetic mages nurse a huge grudge against the Tremere and seek to burn them down when they can find them. The Janissaries were one of the Hermetic heavy hitters, basically a giant group of magic-wielding commandos. Think, basically, guys like Patrick Galloway from Undying. Gun in one hand, spells with the other.

The Euthanatos are a magical faction based on the idea of 'the good death'. Basically, death and life are cyclical, and sometimes for the good of the world as a whole, and the good of one's soul in the next reincarnation, they have to be killed. If you don't get how they work, watch the Wanted movie. That is literally how the Euthanatos see the world (and how they roll). One of their factions, the Golden Chalice, are explicitly magic wielding super commandos. Imagine if Jason Bourne had the powers of a D&D wizard as well. That's what an average member of the Chalice looks like.

Both of them are members of the Traditions, the mystics who were opposed to the Technocracy's enforcement of order and predictability on the world. They wanted a world safe for mysticism and wonder, where things could be unknown and accepted as unknown. Unfortunately, the Technocracy took significant issues with some of the things they wanted unknown, like "will I get eaten by a dragon when I get my lunch?" or "will this medicine cure my sick child"?

To go on with what actually happened, the Janissaries had been secretly manipulating the Ascension War because their leader thought that the end result of one side or the other winning would have been the total destruction of reality. They used ancient ciphers to encode those messages, with a slight issue. The Jason Bourne references (since the New World Order, one of the Technocratic branches, definitely is Bourne-inspired) might give you a hint.

You see, centuries ago, before the Technocracy existed, there was a group of assassin magi called the Ixoi. They thought the Traditions were corrupt and had to be changed. There were people of two minds in that. One of them thought the Traditions were irreparably corrupt and needed to be changed externally, by shooting them a lot. Another thought they could be redeemed from within. The latter group eventually became the Golden Chalice. The former joined the Order of Reason, which would later become the Technocracy, as the Ksirafai. Eventually, some of the Ksirafai started getting cold feet, and they get into a fight with the others who didn't and become House Janissary.

The remaining Ksirafai loyal to the Order of Reason eventually became part of the New World Order.

Anyways, back to the story, you see, the Janissaries had been using old Ixoi ciphers to communicate their secret conspiracy plans, and one of them was eventually intercepted. That, and the Janissaries setting up some political warfare that ended with a Hermetic archmage being killed, led the Golden Chalice to act. They burned House Janissary and left no survivors.

How's that relevant to Bloodlines? Well, it's mostly the fact that the Traditions are now in chaos and the Technocracy do not know what's going on. This may end up having effects on what happens when the more vampire-relevant stuff goes on, but I'll talk about that in another post, this one's getting long.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Amending my vote to Female Gangrel named Belle because it that name is just too good.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Right, wasn't the Week of Nightmares when a certain friendly fellow got himself nuked and took most of his clan with him?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yeah. Orbital mirrors redirected the suns rays from the other side of the planet.

oWod is a little before my time (I started playing D&D in 2005, and my first WoD product was actually the Vampire: the Requiem sourcebook) but it fascinates the hell out of me. It billed itself as more serious and mature than DnD and had goofy comic book stuff like sun lasers happening. And I loved reading about it, even if most of it had to be second hand.

Also I can't quite find the source, but I think word of god places VTM Bloodlines immediately BEFORE the week of nightmares. So the really crazy, end of the world stuff like aforementioned sun-nuking hasn't quite happened yet. (Signs of the endtimes, like the thin-bloods, are present and indicate that the week of nightmares is like imminent, though.)

Will defer to vissicitude though because if I remember my time in tradgames, he knows basically everything there is to know about oWoD.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 12, 2013

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
How about a Male Gangrel named David Heath , I hope someone will get this.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The thing about crossovers is absolutely every type of thing that goes bump in the night has their own metaplot that they consider all-encompassing, and they consider all the other critters to be sideshows to that metaplot. I'm talking about in-game views, but as you can see from MJ12 describing an Antediluvian as a 'powerful vampire god' without even saying which Antediluvian it is (Ravnos / Zapathasura) it does extend to players to a lesser extent.

So when you cross things over, inevitably a lot of players end up with the impression that their own favourite brand of special snowflakes aren't center stage and you get a lot of neckbeard tears. Not that I'm completely innocent of this (Samuel Haight :argh:).

And yes, the True Black Hand were terrible and there was much rejoicing with their passing.

quote:

ghost of the first nuclear bomb

Possibly because it was written by people who grew up during the Cold War, the oWoD features nuclear weapons more than you'd think. For instance, the first great wereshark council, which was intended to debate whether or not they should begin to migrate onto land, took place at the Bikini Atoll. The nuclear tests answered that question for them :ohdear:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Feinne posted:

Right, wasn't the Week of Nightmares when a certain friendly fellow got himself nuked and took most of his clan with him?

Sort of. That point number 1 above was off in a few particulars. I'll elaborate when I get home in an hour.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Male Ventrue named Alexander, please. I'm quite looking forward to this lp. I've heard about this game and I've always wanted to play it but have never really had the chance. Has this really gone through five other failed lps? The most I've heard of before this was something like three.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
I vote for a female Ventrue that dominates everything.

OnyxRaven
Aug 10, 2009
Female Venture.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tehan posted:

The thing about crossovers is absolutely every type of thing that goes bump in the night has their own metaplot that they consider all-encompassing, and they consider all the other critters to be sideshows to that metaplot. I'm talking about in-game views, but as you can see from MJ12 describing an Antediluvian as a 'powerful vampire god' without even saying which Antediluvian it is (Ravnos / Zapathasura) it does extend to players to a lesser extent.

So when you cross things over, inevitably a lot of players end up with the impression that their own favourite brand of special snowflakes aren't center stage and you get a lot of neckbeard tears. Not that I'm completely innocent of this (Samuel Haight :argh:).

And yes, the True Black Hand were terrible and there was much rejoicing with their passing.

Possibly because it was written by people who grew up during the Cold War, the oWoD features nuclear weapons more than you'd think. For instance, the first great wereshark council, which was intended to debate whether or not they should begin to migrate onto land, took place at the Bikini Atoll. The nuclear tests answered that question for them :ohdear:

Is...is that ACTUALLY what happened to the Weresharks in OWoD? I had heard that they were MIA for kind of hazy reasons, but holy poo poo that's hilarious if so.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Vicissitude posted:

Sort of. That point number 1 above was off in a few particulars. I'll elaborate when I get home in an hour.

Alright, elaboration now that I remembered that I had to elaborate :v:

The whole Camarilla-Sabbat war IS an ongoing thing in V:tM, but it's not what caused the Week of Nightmares. The Ravnos clan had been fighting their own turf war in the Indian subcontinent against the Cathayans, the Kindred of the East. They're almost like Caineite vampires, but not. More on them when the time comes. Anyway, things had not being going well for them over the recent decades, so they had taken to using Sabbat-like tactics of mass embracing mortals and sending them at their enemies like cannon fodder. The trouble is, with all this Ravnos blood being spilled and passed on in a seeming endless cycle, it caused something to resonate in the bloodline.

Because of that, Ravnos itself woke up. It had become a near god in its blood potency and mastery of Chimeristry, the Ravnos' signature discipline. Now, at low levels, a vampire can use the discipline to create simple illusions. At higher levels, they're no longer illusions; they reshape reality itself. So picture that: A 3rd generation Antediluvian with the power to rewrite everything it sees to its own desires. Scary, right? Well, what's scarier is its goals.

The thing is, it wasn't too happy with what had been going on. So, in order to punish its clan, or to start from scratch, or who knows what else, it sent out a kind of signal through the blood. From the time it awoke, for an entire week, the Ravnos clan fell upon each other in a fratricidal frenzy. Some were completely broken and lay catatonic as their cousins devoured them. Others saw visions and spouted prophecies that nobody could hear or even understand. Most just went mad for a time, seeking out any other Ravnos they could find to drink their heart's blood and consume their souls. Personally, I think the endgame was to just consume whoever was left to have the whole power of the clan in one being, but I also like the idea of an Etch-a-Sketch-style genocide. It amuses me.

The whole affair also rippled out into the other game systems, as noted above. In Mummy: the Resurrection, it was the great spirit storm that swept away the Kingdom of the Dead in the underworld. It was the genesis of Demon: the Fallen, as Ravenna cracked open the gates of Hell as a consequence of its awakening. In the end, it was a combination of things that caused its downfall. Prophecy had stated that it could only be killed in the "light of four suns", a seemingly impossible task. But not so! cried the Technocracy! While a trio of ancient Cathayan elders, the Dragon, the Tiger, and the Crane, battled Ravenna for an entire week under the artificial monsoon it created to block out the sun, the science-mages went to work deploying one of their new wonder weapons. They were three spirit-nukes, bombs with the destructive capability of an h-bomb, but on a spiritual level rather than the physical. They fired off the bombs on the mountain where the Antediluvian fought the Bodhisattvas, cracking the mountain in half, killing the Cathayans, and severely weakening the Caineite.

Now, this was unable to kill Ravenna, but it was enough to cause it to lose control of the monsoon. Sadly, it was the dead of night when the clouds dispersed. But the Technocracy had an answer to that, too. Calling in a few favors, they redirected a few mirrored satellites. The reflected sunlight from the other side of the world poured down on the shattered mountain and finally destroyed Ravenna. It was killed by the light of four suns, 3 artificial and one natural.

-----------------------------

As for point 2: The less said about the Tal'mahe'Ra, the better... VICISSITUDE IS NOT AN ALIEN PARASITE INFECTION, drat IT! I WOULD KNOW! :argh:

I'll admit that I don't know much about Mage. I'll have to bow out on that one. As I said, my PhD is in Vampire Studies.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 12, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think it also bears mentioning that since Ravnos also had a 10 in Fortitude (this is on a scale of 1-5), he had so little to fear from the (singular) sun that he could have gotten a tan if he wanted to. I imagine the monsoon was either for the sake of his progeny or else because he still wasn't very fond of daylight.

Oh, and the spirit nukes also FUBAR'ed the Wraith setting all to hell.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is...is that ACTUALLY what happened to the Weresharks in OWoD? I had heard that they were MIA for kind of hazy reasons, but holy poo poo that's hilarious if so.

Yep. Their 'holy mission' from Kun* is survival and continued existence, so they came together at Bikini Atoll to debate and finally answer the question once and for all whether that mission would be furthered or hindered if they went onto land. It's very heavily implied that Bikini Atoll was deliberately chosen by Wyrm agents as the test site, who managed to hide the hubbub from the Rokea until it was too late. I believe the Technocracy may have been involved, but my bailiwick is Vampire and Werewolf so don't quote me on that.

The more militant members of the Rokea ('Brightwaters', those born on bright days or full moons) reacted to this by declaring land off-limits to all Rokea, and hunt down and kill any that breach this. This is complicated by the fact that the first human-born Rokea are starting to reach adulthood and hit werecritter puberty in the Final Nights, and some Rokea are living on land full-time and only go into the sea to recharge their version of magic at holy sites - which are still perfectly happy to accept land-going Rokea, so the Brightwater-imposed taboo is a purely secular matter instead of a judgement from Gaia.

*Werecritter cosmology resolves around a chaos/order/destruction trinity, Wyld/Weaver/Wyrm. The Rokea know them as Kun/C'et/Qyrl, though whether those are different names for the same things or just the underwater avatars for them is debatable. On land, most Wyld-aligned werecritters and werewolves especially revere Gaia as the chief avatar of Wyld, but it's more likely that Gaia is the whole and the trinity are facets of her.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 12, 2013

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Well, why soak Aggravated damage when you don't have to, right?

Oh, that brings up damage types! There are 3 kinds that we'll deal with in this game. Bashing, Lethal, and Aggravated. You can resist the damage with a 'soak' roll, basically absorbing the damage rather than sustaining it. Base pool for soaking damage is Stamina + Fortitude (if you have it).

Bashing: Basically, blunt force trauma. Impacts and some various and sundry other means cause Bashing damage to vampires. Due to their undead nature and lack of organ function, vampires halve the amount of Bashing damage they take from any given source, rounding down, after soak. For Caineites, even electrical shocks are considered bashing as you can't stop a heart that doesn't beat. But they still can take damage from it, since eventually that voltage starts to cause burns and tissue damage.

Lethal: Lethal damage is just that, lethal. Ordinarily, anyway. We're talking the walking dead who feed on the vital juices of their mortal victims. Again, vampires are pretty resilient. Unlike a human, a gunshot or a sword slash is a minor inconvenience. They can soak Lethal damage which would severely wound or kill a mortal. Vampires can also spend vitae to heal themselves of Lethal damage, as they can Bashing. Mortals have to wait for time and medical attention to take its course.

Aggravated: Ooh, now we're getting into some nasty business. Some things are the antithesis of a vampire's existence. Sunlight, naturally, and fire are both sources that deal out Aggravated damage. Mage Spells, the claws and fangs of other vampires or werewolves, some magical relics, all of these can dole out the harshness, and harsh it is. While lesser damage can be healed with blood on a one-for-one basis, Aggravated damage takes a full night of rest and FIVE blood points (standard 13th-generation characters have a max capacity of 10). If you spend a Willpower point, basically a supreme dedication of effort towards healing, and another 5 blood points, the vampire can heal a second level of Aggravated damage that day.

As a vampire takes more and more damage, it begins to wrap around into a more severe level. Enough Bashing damage and eventually you start to cause severe tissue damage, turning to Lethal. Keep going, and you can start to pulp the flesh, completely taking out large chunks of meat. A source of Lethal damage can eventually just cut away pieces of the body, turning to Aggravated.

Back to the point, sunlight is ugly to vampires. You take more or less depending on the strength of the sunlight and how much you're covered, but it'll hurt regardless. In the case of our Antediluvian monster, he was just caught in the blast of 3 nukes. Even if they were more damaging to spirits than to the physical world, it was enough to crack a mountain in two. So we can assume that any clothing Ravenna wore was burned away. Then, it was caught the direct, if reflected, rays of the sun. So, no cover and full exposure to the sun. By the rulebook, that's Difficulty 10 to soak (you have to roll a 10 for a success), and you take 3 Aggravated damage per turn. Every success negates one level of damage taken. So, even with Fortitude 10, that's an average of 1 soak per turn, or every 3-6 seconds. That leaves 2 Aggravated damage per turn. A vampire only has 7 health levels total.

So after 4 turns, less than 30 seconds, Ravenna was nothing but ash in the artificial dawn.

EDIT:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not all of the Rokea were at Turna'a, but many of them were. Only 20 survived the detonation of one of the 'small wounds', the Rokea term for nuclear weapons. The weresharks were never known for breeding quickly, so even now their numbers are few.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 12, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vicissitude posted:

So after 4 turns, less than 30 seconds, Ravenna was nothing but ash in the artificial dawn.

Why the hell isn't there a Technocracy computer game where you can do stuff like this? Ancient apocalyptic evil horror waking up? Nuke it, then hit it with orbital death rays.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Vicissitude posted:

Back to the point, sunlight is ugly to vampires. You take more or less depending on the strength of the sunlight and how much you're covered, but it'll hurt regardless. In the case of our Antediluvian monster, he was just caught in the blast of 3 nukes. Even if they were more damaging to spirits than to the physical world, it was enough to crack a mountain in two. So we can assume that any clothing Ravenna wore was burned away. Then, it was caught the direct, if reflected, rays of the sun. So, no cover and full exposure to the sun. By the rulebook, that's Difficulty 10 to soak (you have to roll a 10 for a success), and you take 3 Aggravated damage per turn. Every success negates one level of damage taken. So, even with Fortitude 10, that's an average of 1 soak per turn, or every 3-6 seconds. That leaves 2 Aggravated damage per turn. A vampire only has 7 health levels total.

No need to be so technical; after all, abilities scale geometrically once you break past the 5 point barrier. The official powers associated with level 10 in any special ability are "whatever the hell the storyteller needs it to do (but try to at least justify it around what the skill normally does)."

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Why the hell isn't there a Technocracy computer game where you can do stuff like this? Ancient apocalyptic evil horror waking up? Nuke it, then hit it with orbital death rays.

It'd pretty much be X-Com, except you'd have to try to pretend to be as subtle as possible (instead of blowing the entire place up). Speaking of the Technocracy, the funniest part of the old World of Darkness is that the Technocracy is still being supported. This is probably because where new Vampire and new Werewolf are generally better games that touch on the same themes as the old games, new Mage is an entirely different beast than old Mage. Similar mechanics, but completely different setting and metaphysics.

There have been three new Technocratic Convention books, all dealing with the fallout of all the nuking that went on in the Week of Nightmares. You see, all those nukes hosed up the spirit world something awful, and created the Avatar Storm, which was basically this gigantic barrier that cut off travel from the Earth and the spirit world. Note: In mage, this includes 'outer space'. Of course, like anything that says 'no' to mages, that's more or less just a suggestion. This was a very strongly worded suggestion, though, possibly with a few guns pointed for emphasis.

There was a more insidious problem, though. Mages trapped in the now-damaged and seething spirit world (the Umbra) eventually became spirits themselves of a sort, and spirits are kind of wacky. They're definitely insane by human standards. This sort of culminated, in the original metaplot for the oWoD, in Ascension around 2003, which had a few interesting reveals. The Technocracy's leadership, because it had been seen as this invisible hivemind that ordered all the awful things so your hands could stay clean, actually was exactly that. Anyone who tried to use it to order the Technocracy around had to risk being subsumed into the hivemind and becoming some kind of platonic idea of bureaucratic leadership. The Traditions became the Rogue Council, who were a crazy squabbling cabal of dead archmages who were trying to win the Ascension War, that being their entire raison d'etre now.

The new books retcon the poo poo out of that. No. Now what happened is that the Technocracy suffered the same fate as the Traditions.

Nobody cares about RPG book spoilers because they're not really spoilers, so I'll lay it out straight.

The Void Engineers now, the guys in the Technocracy who specialize in being X-Com meets Star Trek, are fighting the Technocracy that was. The Technocrats in the umbra became spirits, and with that lost all sense of human perspective, and seek to impose their extremist no-gray-area ideas of what it means to be a better person and what Ascension means onto humanity whether they like it or not. They call them Threat Null. They're pretty horrible.

For example, Iteration X, the craftmasons of the Technocracy, are all about tools enhancing and augmenting human ability. So their warped versions, the Autopolitans, are all Borg-like cyborgs who presumably kidnap people for their assimilation vats.

The financiers of the Technocracy, the Syndicate, are now (even more) amoral businessmen who will deal with anyone and anything for absolutely anything.

The New World Order, the Technocracy's spies, media specialists, government influence, and assassins? They become bullshit anime/bad conspiracy thriller "conspiracy" types. You know the type. "Oh my plan goes off without a hitch anyways no matter your interference because of [insert totally nonsensical bullshit]." Occasionally (often) they deliver to other members of Threat Null plans, devices, hostages, or whatever that they never asked for and have no idea about. Nevertheless it turns out useful because of [conspiracy bullshit].

The Progenitors, the Technocracy's biomedical wing, are now some sort of universally beautiful universally superhuman hivemind. Individuality is bad!

And the Void Engineers that were lost? Nobody knows. That's the scariest part of all.

I would totally play a V-COM game where you fight Threat Null, werewolves, and vampires, while maintaining your crew's sanity, your good relations to the rest of the Technocracy, and conserve scarce resources. Also, particle beam cannon the occasional angry vampire elder.

(A Gamma-class particle beam does 21 levels, not dice, levels, of lethal Forces damage. :D)

Aerobot
Apr 28, 2013
Hmmm, I've already seen Malkavian and Tremere LP's so I'd like to see something different. I'm going to have to second this idea ...

inflatablefish posted:

I loved your Redemption LP, so I'll be following this one closely! I say we go with a female Gangrel called Belle because I'm in a bit of a Disney mood at the moment.

... because it's just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Vicissitude posted:

Lethal: ... Again, vampires are pretty resilient. Unlike a human, a gunshot or a sword slash is a minor inconvenience.

Aren't gunshots causing bashing damage to Vampires (but lethal to humans)? They're even less effective to Vampires than sword slashes...

I've Always been fascinated by WoD's settings. Sometimes they read like a bad Marvel comic, but they're usually inventive enough to justify it.

Also, during those sewers I've had a crippling bug that created a lot of major artifacts everywhere, grinding my framerate to a halt and covering most of the screen with beige polygons. Even more fun! :suicide:

• Locked thread