Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I've just started getting into Qud, and for the most part it's been fairly self-explanatory, especially for a roguelike, but there's a few things I still can't figure out:

With two heads, can you get any benefit at all from having a hat on your secondary head? Through testing I figured out that it doesn't use armor/dodge bonuses or stat boots on the secondary head, but will something with a special effect like a gas mask give me any protection there?

Does wielding something in the offhand reduce your main hand accuracy? I've been holding a glowsphere and noticed that my character occasionally hits enemies with it. Until then I'd assumed that you wouldn't attack with non-weapons, but now I'm worried that it's hurting the offensive power of my real weapon.

I also can't remember where I'm supposed to be going after returning to Joppa with a girshling corpse. I know the elder gave me a location, but it's not in the quest log and it's difficult to know what on the map is supposed to represent a town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I've just started getting into Qud, and for the most part it's been fairly self-explanatory, especially for a roguelike, but there's a few things I still can't figure out:

With two heads, can you get any benefit at all from having a hat on your secondary head? Through testing I figured out that it doesn't use armor/dodge bonuses or stat boots on the secondary head, but will something with a special effect like a gas mask give me any protection there?

Does wielding something in the offhand reduce your main hand accuracy? I've been holding a glowsphere and noticed that my character occasionally hits enemies with it. Until then I'd assumed that you wouldn't attack with non-weapons, but now I'm worried that it's hurting the offensive power of my real weapon.

I also can't remember where I'm supposed to be going after returning to Joppa with a girshling corpse. I know the elder gave me a location, but it's not in the quest log and it's difficult to know what on the map is supposed to represent a town.

Regarding the girshling corpse, bring it to the elder. You have to keep it in your inv. If you already got the reward, you can just eat or toss the corpse; he doesn't take it from you.

Regarding offhand attacks, no penalty to hit as far as I know, and offhand has a base 15% chance to hit per the in game help about combat. That's why you sometimes see attacks with the glowsphere.

No idea on having two heads. what you describe is the same with two sets of feet.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I actually prefer a stack of torches to glowspheres early in the game if I'm melee as offhand torch attacks will set your enemies on fire.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
I don't remember, can a dude set on fire with a torch spread fire to items on the ground? I know using incendiary grenades was an excellent way to ensure you ruined any possibly salable gear.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any of the new DLC/expansions for SOTS: The Pit make the game better or is it still bad?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Better is hard to quantify, but it certainly adds a lot more of everything and makes it harder via closing exploits and whatnot.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

S.T.C.A. posted:

Regarding the girshling corpse, bring it to the elder. You have to keep it in your inv. If you already got the reward, you can just eat or toss the corpse; he doesn't take it from you.

Oh, yeah, I've done that part. I just don't remember what my goal is supposed to be after returning, like what the next plot-important city is or where. My only current quest is to gather wire for the tinkerer.

Thanks for the other answers. It's been a weird but cool experience playing such a relatively unknown roguelike, since even the times when I've been tempted to spoiler-cheat (such as what a certain herb/food does), I haven't generally been able to find the information I'm looking for.

Oh, another one, does anyone know what Intimidate and Berate actually do? The persuasion skill tree is fairly expensive so even though I'm playing an ego-based character, I have no idea if it's worth investing in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Intimidate makes any creature within a 1-tile radius pass a check or run away in fear, and Berate reduces their willpower, which among other things makes Sunder Mind deal more damage (and probably makes other mental attacks more effective as well.)

They're good skills and generally worth the price on an Ego-heavy character, especially Intimidate.

Dec 26, 2012

uPen posted:

100' forge

Another quick tip to anyone dependent on smithing for earlygame survival/offense/etc: The guaranteed forge is on the second floor you go to, which is not necessarily 100' - going up a floor and generating a 50' floor works just as well.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Oh, yeah, I've done that part. I just don't remember what my goal is supposed to be after returning, like what the next plot-important city is or where. My only current quest is to gather wire for the tinkerer.

Thanks for the other answers. It's been a weird but cool experience playing such a relatively unknown roguelike, since even the times when I've been tempted to spoiler-cheat (such as what a certain herb/food does), I haven't generally been able to find the information I'm looking for.

Oh, another one, does anyone know what Intimidate and Berate actually do? The persuasion skill tree is fairly expensive so even though I'm playing an ego-based character, I have no idea if it's worth investing in.

You should do Argyve's quests, he's the tinkerer in Joppa. He'll eventually send you to the Grit Gate.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

...will something with a special effect like a gas mask give me any protection there?

Yes, for any of the extra-body part mutations.

Pretty sure it's -4 ego, willpower, and to-hit rolls.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gently caress nether-worms forever.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

uPen posted:

gently caress nether-worms forever.

:staredog:

I had a great game going today, I even found a mail corselet of resilience and gloves of strength (good for my fighter at least) but then I fell down a hatch trap and got surrounded by werewolves, raukos and cavetrolls :argh: Still, I'm glad I haven't had to deal with a breeder explosion like that.

Anyone have any recommendations on the best combat skills to take in sil? I had some great synergy going with knock back+blocking because I could punt an enemy away and the rest a turn to gain a huge bonus to my defenses, but I'm never 100% confident I'm choosing smart. Usually I just go power and then grab follow through but I may stick with knock back. Knock back with charge seems like another very obvious combo, I may try that.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

"Prospector", a space roguelike I assumed was dead but used to play loads, is apparently back in development, and is now winnable. I have a real soft spot for this game. It used to be in the OP I think? http://www.prospector.at/forum/index.php

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Space Bat posted:

:staredog:

I had a great game going today, I even found a mail corselet of resilience and gloves of strength (good for my fighter at least) but then I fell down a hatch trap and got surrounded by werewolves, raukos and cavetrolls :argh: Still, I'm glad I haven't had to deal with a breeder explosion like that.

Anyone have any recommendations on the best combat skills to take in sil? I had some great synergy going with knock back+blocking because I could punt an enemy away and the rest a turn to gain a huge bonus to my defenses, but I'm never 100% confident I'm choosing smart. Usually I just go power and then grab follow through but I may stick with knock back. Knock back with charge seems like another very obvious combo, I may try that.

Low str combos: Finesse + Subelty + Concentration. Rapid attack optional. Get huge huge crits that tear through armour.
High Str: Polearm Mastery + Focus + Knockback. Wait a turn and watch them bounce off you. Repeat ad nasuim.
Med/High Str: Charge + knockback. Get Momemtum if weapon is too light. Run at people and hit them. Combine with Flanking for sillyness.
More sillyness: Flanking + Whirlwind. Output 4-6 attacks for every 1-2 you receive! Hilarity ensues.
Sword&board: You'll need sharpness for that longsword, sorry.

Things that change the way the game works:
Flanking; Suddenly, you *want* to fight out in the open, and it works better than you'd think?
Opportunist; SO GOOD. I wear gloves of treachery for it and it's totally worth it.
Listen; Maphack is good!
Extreme stealth/stabbing; good luck getting this online, but midgame is unfairly easy
Extreme Majesty/Elbereth/etc; I've heard this works in theory but I have no drat idea.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Gotta thank everybody for the Desktop Dungeons recommendation in this thread. I picked it up on Friday and shamelessly spent roughly 20 hours in it already. It's an incredibly addictive mix of rogue-like and puzzle elements.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any other high-quality, actively developed open world roguelikes like Cataclysm? Setting or flavor don't matter. I just want something with an equally realized world and scavenging/crafting, but without having to deal with all of Cataclysm's :psyduck: design choices.

Something that runs really snappy and preferably in a console window would be the icing on top; roguelikes shouldn't have perceptible input delay.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any other high-quality, actively developed open world roguelikes like Cataclysm? Setting or flavor don't matter. I just want something with an equally realized world and scavenging/crafting, but without having to deal with all of Cataclysm's :psyduck: design choices.

Something that runs really snappy and preferably in a console window would be the icing on top; roguelikes shouldn't have perceptible input delay.

NEO Scavenger isn't a traditional roguelike but it's more or less a hex-based post-apocalyptic survival roguelike where you actually have to fight against the environment as well as adversaries. It's also actively developed by a goon. If you're okay with something that won't run in a console window at all, it's worth checking out, the demo can be played for free in your browser:
http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/21

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Photosynaesthesias posted:

NEO Scavenger isn't a traditional roguelike but it's more or less a hex-based post-apocalyptic survival roguelike where you actually have to fight against the environment as well as adversaries. It's also actively developed by a goon. If you're okay with something that won't run in a console window at all, it's worth checking out, the demo can be played for free in your browser:
http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/21

I do encourage people to play NEO Scav, but be aware that it's a very mouse-driven interface.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm not sure if Project Zomboid is technically a roguelike, but if you guys haven't checked it out I suggest giving the demo on steam a try. I've yet to survive more than six days; I've died from zombie bites, burning my house down when I burned a TV dinner, and killed myself by guzzling bleach while zombies were swarming my house.

It's pretty awesome, but I haven't played cataclysm to be able to compare them. It does have some crafting and carpentry features.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

I'm not sure if Project Zomboid is technically a roguelike, but if you guys haven't checked it out I suggest giving the demo on steam a try. I've yet to survive more than six days; I've died from zombie bites, burning my house down when I burned a TV dinner, and killed myself by guzzling bleach while zombies were swarming my house.

It's pretty awesome, but I haven't played cataclysm to be able to compare them. It does have some crafting and carpentry features.

Cataclysm is pretty much a picking stuff up and making other stuff out of it simulator, with zombies as an incidental obstacle between you and picking stuff up. Kind of like Minecraft if Minecraft's world were more populated and interesting and had more significant differences between regions.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Where can I get some good at XP at 21 in Qud? Most things aren't really giving me XP anymore and Bethesda is a little too difficult at the moment which is where I'm at in the quest line.

Just found a slender lacquered chaingun. Jesus christ.

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 12, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Anybody know a good zombie survival roguelike? I saw the Malastro one in the OP, but I was thinking something that was less going down in dungeons and just trying to survive in some sort of randomly generated world or something. Anything remotely like that?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

PureRok posted:

Anybody know a good zombie survival roguelike? I saw the Malastro one in the OP, but I was thinking something that was less going down in dungeons and just trying to survive in some sort of randomly generated world or something. Anything remotely like that?

Cataclysm has a classic zombie mode.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

PureRok posted:

Gooch181 posted:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

PureRok posted:

There's also Neo Scavenger although it's less zombies and more post-apocalyptic survival.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I think I'm going to try NPPangband. Could anyone give me some tips for a melee kinda dude? I haven't really played angband at all so I don't know what to expect other than playing a tiny bit of Sil.
Also does it have tiles?

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

I just started playing DCSS. I heard about this guy named Sigmund and figured he would kill me when I found him, however, My Troll Bezerker wearing a blue orc robe went berserk and chopped him up with bare hands and ate him raw. He was annoying as hell and apparently very tasty.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 12, 2013

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

PureRok posted:

I know someone quoted me in reply to your post, but Project Zomboid sounds right up your alley. The demo on steam starts you off already infected, imposing a time limit, but it should give you a pretty good idea how the game plays. The thread is here

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Citycop posted:

I just started playing DCSS. I heard about this guy named Sigmund and figured he would kill me when I found him, however, My Troll Bezerker wearing a blue orc robe went berserk and chopped him up with bare hands and ate him raw. He was annoying as hell and apparently very tasty.

You're lucky he didn't get a working Confuse off on you. Those make trollzerkers prime targets for magic scythes.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You're lucky he didn't get a working Confuse off on you. Those make trollzerkers prime targets for magic scythes.

Trog adds magic resist based on piety in addition to the invokable magic resist+regen, I thought?

Also higher value corpses are (I think) better to pray over (offer) due to better piety gain unless you were hungry.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
I decided to pick up Desktop Dungeons after being on the fence due to all of the positive reviews. I'm generally not a fan of puzzle games which is why I was hesitating, but DD manages to hide the puzzle elements under Roguelike gameplay. I feel like it's making me better at Roguelikes because you can't really bumble your way through it, you will replay a dungeon until you kind of figure it out and play it perfectly, but it's randomized each time so your tactics are evolving with each attempt. I intended to play for a few minutes then go to sleep, but I ended up playing for two hours and then sleeping real late :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Also higher value corpses are (I think) better to pray over (offer) due to better piety gain unless you were hungry.
I don't think they actually are. IIRC it's something like a 60-70% chance to gain one piety for praying over one corpse, no matter what corpse it is. Unless I've been very misled, that is.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

I don't think they actually are. IIRC it's something like a 60-70% chance to gain one piety for praying over one corpse, no matter what corpse it is. Unless I've been very misled, that is.

That's how it was last I played; as such you'd butcher bigger bodies while saccing smaller ones to maximize food via corpses with minimal piety loss since they're all the same piety.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Photosynaesthesias posted:

I decided to pick up Desktop Dungeons after being on the fence due to all of the positive reviews. I'm generally not a fan of puzzle games which is why I was hesitating, but DD manages to hide the puzzle elements under Roguelike gameplay. I feel like it's making me better at Roguelikes because you can't really bumble your way through it, you will replay a dungeon until you kind of figure it out and play it perfectly, but it's randomized each time so your tactics are evolving with each attempt. I intended to play for a few minutes then go to sleep, but I ended up playing for two hours and then sleeping real late :v:

I'm enjoying it a lot, although I wish the difficulty ramped up a little slower.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Unreal World is my other favourite open world roguelike. You play as a hermit in Iron Age Finland. The focus is pretty heavy on basic survival, and you can play for a long time without ever getting into combat. Plus, crafting-wise it's pretty easy to mod in your own items. Several people on their forums have made their own variants on ceramics and blacksmithing, and those don't even exist in the base game.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Where can I get some good at XP at 21 in Qud? Most things aren't really giving me XP anymore and Bethesda is a little too difficult at the moment which is where I'm at in the quest line.

Just found a slender lacquered chaingun. Jesus christ.

I'm at about the same point and I'm still getting decent exp without too much risk by fighting the goatmen in the jungle. The most basic ones just started to get exp-throttled I think (but are still giving >100 per kill), but I'm pretty sure all the others are giving the full value.

The most powerful thing I've found so far was a counterweight(2)/electric(7) Polluxus longsword. For some reason a vendor was selling it for only $150 or so.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Trog adds magic resist based on piety in addition to the invokable magic resist+regen, I thought?

Admittedly I played a lot of Trog trolls before the Trog rebalance. That said, does Sigmund still have a chance of spawning at level 2? That's a 'fun' time even with the rebalance (if you haven't learned even a troll isn't strong enough at that point for him, that is).

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Alright, I give up. I need a Qud spoiler.

I need to know how to proceed through Golgotha in Qud. I'm at the point where I'm bored and I haven't died to anything stupid so rather than go explore the deathlands until I die, I might as well try again. I literally get instantly killed when I drop through the chutes with the crabs after the first or second level; like I drop down into the chutes, kill the crabs no problem, can even explore the level without issue, but when I drop down again, I just die. The message log says that like 1000 crabs ping me to death. Do I need to use rubbergum before I jump down? Is it weight related? The hell do I do? I have 131 hp, I'm level 20, I know I should be able to do this but I don't wnat to just instantly die to bullshit without even understanding it again, and I don't feel like just popping rubbergum and hoping, either. The only thing I really lack is reliable AOE, to the point where I'm thinking about farming up sower's seeds if I need them since I haven't done Raising Indrix yet. I also took Endurance this game, thinking maybe the passive chance to shake daze/stun will prevent the instant death. Am I just doing something wrong? Does it matter which entrance I choose into Golgotha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

S.T.C.A. posted:

Alright, I give up. I need a Qud spoiler.

Not every chute is a crab chute, but yeah -- I think there's actually a bug where the chute crabs will get a bunch of free hits on you as you enter a new area. Regardless of chute, the best advice is to probably skip exploration and run. Use the extra speed granted by the conveyors, as well as sprint/other mobility skills/mutations to dodge enemies and other obstacles (Acrobatics skills are wonderful in Golgotha). The good news is that by 20, you'll outlevel the creatures in the dungeon, so you should be good on health, but avoid using any injectors until absolutely necessary, as you don't want to risk overdosing in an emergency.

Finally, though the advice is to rush to the bottom, take your time planning out each move. It's a chaotic dungeon, so your situation can change quickly, but your primary goal should be to avoid getting trapped while moving quickly to each exit chute.

Good luck!