Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Smite posted:

The first of the last round of Donkey Kong Country is up.

DKC Finals, Group 1 - ElTipejoLoco, Faenix, FrozenTreasure, Heavy Sigh

The deadline for world 5 and the finals here is Oct. 31, so we should be completely done with this game not too long from now. I'm looking forward to taking a break from monkeys and doing some one-off races instead. As for DKC2, it will be an elimination tournament (learned my lesson!) of a similar format that I'll probably start around December.
I really hope somehow I get my poo poo fixed by then. I REALLY do not want to miss out on DKC2 or else I'll be a sad gamer, it seriously pisses me off that I had to drop out of this race. :saddowns: Good luck to everyone else though!

Edit: OR MAYBE NOT! Perhaps I at the very least might be able to join in as a dummy fourth for one of the final groups, should anyone need a fourth.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

R3M posted:

After two months in the making: Castlevania.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYJZUMU00V0
Please excuse my awful commentary.

Oh, finally! Now if only the group 2 race was up...

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I told the guys that it was a poo poo video, but they insist that I post it. If you don't like insufferable smugness, don't watch this. And don't actually put this in the OP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKOixYlDklc&feature=youtu.be

ScouSin
Jul 7, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

If you don't like insufferable smugness, don't watch this.

It isn't like you ruined the video. I'm over halfway through and I'm enjoying it (especially considering I never played the game). Aside from all of that, what I like most about the vast amount of LPers in these races is that I get to see a wide array of personalities; and some of those personalities just outright make the video amazing (I'm looking at you, Chitlin!) I think you should reconsider this for the OP.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I definitely want to get in on this madness. I do think that the DKC2 races are going to be a lot crazier since I think most people started on that game; I remember playing it a ton as a kid.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I hope the 2 races don't turn this bitter by the end.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
They will.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Just to let people know (especially those in my group), my computer is currently being repaired and won't be available for a few more days (at most).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Would anyone be interested in organizing a Little Samson race? No warps, naturally.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
Here is the last submission from world 5:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Would anyone be interested in organizing a Little Samson race? No warps, naturally.

Yeah I'll sign up for that.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Another World bites the dust. The eighteen players still eligible for victory, and Catsworth, have between them burned through a total of 162 lives in this latest world. This means that Kremkroc Industries, Inc. has been the least dangerous level since Kongo Jungle. Part of that can be attributed to the greater skill of the remaining players, I'm sure, but this world is still a dramatic step down from the last in terms of difficulty.

The grand total going into the final leg of the race is 973 mangled monkeys.

Most Lethal Levels
None of the levels in World 5 made it into the top six, so I'll expand the list to the top ten:
pre:
Levels by most deaths
1. Snow Barrel Blast:   120 deaths
2. Tree Top Town:       116 deaths
3. Mine Cart Carnage:    65 deaths
4. Barrel Cannon Canyon: 61 deaths
5. Vulture Culture:      52 deaths
6. Slipslide Ride:       51 deaths
7. Oil Drum Alley:       44 deaths
8. Bouncy Bonanza:       38 deaths
9. Ropey Rampage:        37 deaths
   Elevator Antics:      37 deaths
The theme of the world seems to be 'tricky jumps', with Oil Drum Alley and Elevator Antics being the only two to crack the Top 10. Poison Pond ranked 14th, Trick Track Trek 15th, Mine Cart Madness 20th, and Blackout Basement 26th (probably because anyone who actually reached the last stage was good enough not to die much.)

:eyepop::pcgaming:
watching Blackout Basement at 4x speed

Causes of Death
Last time, I asked people to guess which non-boss enemy was the only one with a kill tally of zero. Nobody bothered to make a guess. :smith: Well, the answer was Krusha (the musclehead Kremling). Happily, Krusha has finally put himself on the leaderboard by scoring a single kill on Carlitonsp, so when I post the final tally it will include every enemy in the game.

The stats for World 5:
pre:
Top five killers, Kremkroc Industries, Inc.
1. Jumping into a pit:           46 deaths
2. Kritter (generic Kremlin):    17 deaths
   Mankey Kong (barrel thrower): 17 deaths
4. Dropping into a pit:          15 deaths
5. Mincer (spinny death wheel):  13 deaths
Tricky jumps indeed. Mankey Kong and Mincer can attribute their sudden appearance to Oil Drum Alley and Poison Pond respectively.

The updated overall rankings are:
pre:
Top twelve killers, Worlds 1-5
 1. Jumping into a pit:            223 deaths
 2. Shooting into a pit:           198 deaths
 3. Dropping into a pit:           104 deaths
 4. Kritter (generic Kremlin):      87 deaths
 5. Zinger (bee enemy):             79 deaths
 6. Klaptrap (chompy little guy):   23 deaths
    Krash (mine cart Kremlin):      23 deaths
 8. Mini-Necky (small bird enemy):  22 deaths
    Necky (large bird enemy):       22 deaths
10. Croctopus (spinning octopus):   19 deaths
The cannon-free nature of World 5 allows jumping deaths to steal the #1 slot from shooting deaths; the top five otherwise remain stable. Klaptrap jumps up a step to tie with Krash, who is still #6 (seriously wtf). Mini-Necky shoots up out of nowhere to tie with her big sister for #8, Croctopus drops down to #10, and the millstones are finally gone from the leaderboard.

Player Rankings

Catsworth was previously considered ineligible due to having skipped World 4. However, looking back to the first Death Tally post, my original rule was

Alien Arcana posted:

I will only be counting players who have run in all [...] worlds.
At no point did I specify that the run had to be complete, or that it had to be in the correct leg, so... welcome back, Johnny Cat.

With this in mind, the leaderboard now looks like this:
pre:
Top ten players by total death count, Worlds 1-5
 1. Catsworth         with 69 deaths (previously 39)
 2. KillerEmcee       with 63 deaths (previously 49)
 3. SnS               with 57 deaths (previously 37)
 4. FutureFriend      with 56 deaths (previously 38)
 5. Carlitonsp        with 46 deaths (previously 24)
 6. FrozenTreasure    with 44 deaths (previously 38)
 7. Faenix            with 38 deaths (previously 29)
 8. a raving loon     with 31 deaths (previously 26)
 9. The T             with 28 deaths (previously 20)
10. kingeffingfrost   with 19 deaths (previously  9)
The title of 'fewest deaths' is currently tied between KkoserYaks and FreezingInferno, with 5 deaths each.

Well, there's just one leg left in the race. After the next round is over, I'll post the final rankings for everything. Stay tuned.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I wasn't able to join in the race for world 5 sadly, BUT! I did do world 5 on my own in preparation to join up for the final world if anyone should need a fourth and also because I wanna finish this drat game.

While I went through world 5, I actually managed to write down each and every death I had and reasons for dying, if you'd like to know them Arcana. I didn't wanna mess up your awesomely nerdy tallies with anything and I can't PM them to you so...yeah!

Killer Emcee
May 19, 2010

"Looks like your angel has misplaced her halo."
pre:
Top ten players by total death count, Worlds 1-5
 1. Catsworth         with 69 deaths (previously 39)
 2. KillerEmcee       with 63 deaths (previously 49)
One day I'll defeat that mangy cat.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Mega Man 6 - Group 3 months late - FutureFriend, KillerEmcee, KrumbsThumbs, TurboC

DKC groups 3 through 5 are coming, I swear!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Smite you gotta tell me what's in the pipeline for the time period in between the end of DKC and the start of DKC2

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Fun fact: there's actually another Mega Man 6 group. I've been sitting on the footage for a long-rear end time and just never got the chance to put it together :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So, when are we going to see the Mega Man 7 races start? :v:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
What happened to the Grief Syndrome race? It disappeared from the OP and youtube.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
I think it got taken down for the music or something?

Something along those lines was mentioned like one or two months ago to those of us who were in the race, and we kinda agreed that it wasn't very good and didn't think anybody would miss it.

Guess we were wrong. :v:

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What happened to the Grief Syndrome race? It disappeared from the OP and youtube.

Too much anime.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

DKC Finals, Group 3 - Apt Funk, Carlitonsp, KkoserYaks, NGDBSS

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It got flagged. It had audio issues in the first place, this made it really poor. It didn't take long to make, they should race it again instead!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Smite posted:

DKC Finals, Group 3 - Apt Funk, Carlitonsp, KkoserYaks, NGDBSS

It got flagged. It had audio issues in the first place, this made it really poor. It didn't take long to make, they should race it again instead!

If they do end up doing it again for some reason, I'd be up to join, the reason why I was even looking was I think I beat the winner's time.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Holy poo poo, I didn't actually come last overall! Thought it was a done deal by this point. I have fully achieved my original goal, then.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

:siren: If you see one World 6 video, see this one. Not for actual speedrunning, mind you, but for other hilarity.

Immediately after that I was considering posting about the peculiar circumstances Apt Funk had. He told me, "NOT. A. WORD." And so when Smite downloaded the video/audio to compile for the group video, he was just a bit perplexed.

quote:

[7:37:33 PM] Smite: what uh happened here apt funk :V
[7:38:24 PM] The T: Protip: When something weird happens with your video, it's best to explain WHAT.
[7:38:25 PM] Smite: you got three videos and the first one ends after the fake credits, as if you were completely fooled by them!
[7:38:42 PM] Carlitonsp: He was completely fooled by them.
[7:38:58 PM] The T: .....this is my favorite thing.
[7:39:08 PM] The T: I'm angry, ANGRY, that I'm having this spoiled for me by being in this chat.
[7:39:23 PM] Carlitonsp: After I pointed out the fake credits, he realized that he didn't finish the K. Rool.
[7:48:46 PM] Apt Funk: Yeah...
[7:50:54 PM] The T: Including all of his playing VVVVVV into his DKC time
[8:02:38 PM] Smite: how am I supposed to add up this?!
[8:02:58 PM] Smite: will you be 1st, 2nd or 10th?!
[8:03:02 PM] The T: yes
[8:03:04 PM] The T: all of those

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

No, then? :shrug:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

I have never played this game or even heard of it, but I'm willing :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Galick posted:

If one blind racer isn't recipe for disaster enough, I'd be down too :toot:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Galick posted:

Well I have no idea how I'd go about doing something like this, but great to hear! The best description I can give is that it's fantasy Mega Man with switchable characters.

Also, look at that loving dragon.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well I have no idea how I'd go about doing something like this, but great to hear! The best description I can give is that it's fantasy Mega Man with switchable characters.

Also, look at that loving dragon.
...yeah okay I'm sold, that is one loving adorable dragon. I'll gladly try this game on evenings for a blind fun-race.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Haha, considering everyone else but the Wizard is okay with a blind race of an obscure NES title, now I'm interested too!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Don't feel like you can't do location scouting on the game, guys. :v:

EDIT: And don't worry, I'm bad enough at the game that it'll probably be about even.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 18, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Being aware that I'm terrible at most games, add me on skype for that Little Samson race. Username: Choconado We'll figure out details from there.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Same here, my Skype name is Danaru5277.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Excellent. I'm going to be gone until Friday, so I'll see to things then.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
It's time for more...
Portal 2 Custom Co-Op Map Race Competition

Featuring RJWaters2 & Robust Laser vs GamesFreakSA & Man with Hat

A few weeks ago, Pizzatime was banned from the forums, presumably for making such a bad co-op map.
In this round, we each made 1 co-op map for the other 4 to race in pairs. Pizza got replaced in the competition by Dice, but we had already raced this map!

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 20, 2013

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain
If there's still a free space for the Little Samson race, I'd also like to participate.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Have another
Portal 2 Custom Co-Op Map Race Competition

Featuring RJWaters2, Robust Laser, Man with Hat, GamesfreakSA, and DICE!

This round, we only made one map apiece, so here is a video with 5 races! We round-robin the co-op partners, so everyone gets to team up with everyone. See the previous race to learn why Pizzatime is out and DICE! is in.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So is that Lil Samson thing still a thing LizWiz? I'm still totally game for being awful at racing that, and other random NES games.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I'm still up for it too, whenever you got free time I'm here for it. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still good to go as well, work schedule is a bit unpredictable right now, but it'll hopefully calm down soon.

• Locked thread