Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
It's weird that the zergs at the very beginning of the event were apparently able to appropriately stack on him and now, groups there specifically to fight him can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

You're underestimating how big those initial zergs were. Open world bosses don't scale well to the number of players and get ridiculously easy when absurd numbers of people show up.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Man, is this game still kicking? I come back to it every now and again, but it never seems like there's much of substance to do at cap.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

Man, is this game still kicking? I come back to it every now and again, but it never seems like there's much of substance to do at cap.

It's kicking very well and there never was any doubt that it was.

You're approaching this guild like a typical WoW-style MMO with the whole idea of "endgame" being the only game. Treat the entire game like endgame, like I've been doing dungeons, WvW, world bosses, and I'm not even level 80 on this current alt.

If you want to try it again, just reinstall and play. There is no fee and nothing to lose.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
Yeah treating most MMOs like they're WoW pays off because they're all copies of what, Everquest?

Expecting Guild Wars 2 to be like most MMOs is sort of like expecting Diablo to be like most MMOs. They're related and elements of both might appeal to some of the same people, but they're very different games. "Cap" is basically about enjoying the combat and amassing stuff slowly over time.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Let's not pretend that there's nothing unusual about the fact that a year after launch, there's basically no new content (max-level or otherwise) for a returning player to see.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
While the prevalence of new content is low, the incidence of new content is very high.

Edit: I realize that this isn't ideal and I don't like that they make content disappear, but there is always new content being introduced.

As has been discussed in the past, Anet feels that this model is financially best for a free-to-play. Did people really expect WoW levels of permanent world expansion for free, forever?

The way it is right now there's always two new things to try out at any given time. The catch is that if you want to do all of them, you can't just log in once a year, but once every month, which is just how Anet wants it.

Are there free-to-play games that regularly and significantly expand the world in a permanent way?

sound_again fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 12, 2013

Yonic and Chronic
Apr 23, 2007
I'd like to dedicate this precursor which I got after 3 mystic toilet tries, to Arus-sempai!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Yeah, loving around doing whatever you feel like with other goons is the real endgame.

Still waiting on guild alliance chat :(

Lamp Stack
Jan 14, 2011

Ninjafix posted:

I'd like to dedicate this precursor which I got after 3 mystic toilet tries, to Arus-sempai!

3 tries? :staredog:

Congratulations!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ninjafix posted:

Your asura is so ugly it actually hurts me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your asura is so ugly it actually hurts me.

What does it look like a two-dimensional sprite :staredog:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

sound_again posted:

Are there free-to-play games that regularly and significantly expand the world in a permanent way?

TF2 hats, that's it.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Why do we hurt the ones we love? :(

(I'm sorry I helped jump you)

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

sound_again posted:

While the prevalence of new content is low, the incidence of new content is very high.

Edit: I realize that this isn't ideal and I don't like that they make content disappear, but there is always new content being introduced.

As has been discussed in the past, Anet feels that this model is financially best for a free-to-play. Did people really expect WoW levels of permanent world expansion for free, forever?

The way it is right now there's always two new things to try out at any given time. The catch is that if you want to do all of them, you can't just log in once a year, but once every month, which is just how Anet wants it.

I think it's not unreasonable for people to expect new content in the area that was their main draw to this game; new zones, hearts, vistas, events. Especially after a year.

The ironic thing is if they actually kept all the living story stuff instead of removing it, there would actually be a lot of content a returning player would have.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Does GW2 background patch? More specifically, did it drop about 15Gb of background patch over the weekend?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I haven't loaded it in days and just loaded it and it didn't download anything if that's any help.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
The infinite gathering tools are going to be made account bound instead of soul bound sometime in the future.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Soulbound-Gem-Item-to-Wrong-Character/first#post3188074

Ebola Dog fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 12, 2013

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
drat, arus bought 5 sets for his alts.

That could have been shield money.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

But you're totally right to be wary, WvW is incredibly and disgustingly unfriendly to newbies these days. What if a new guy got in a golem thinking it would be fun and looked cool, and got raged at/blacklisted/given death threats? There is a pretty big problem in WvW right now and some pretty foul people being vocal in it.

That's depressing to hear. I'm glad TC really doesn't have any of that issue. About the worst I've seen in WvW was right at the league opening someone was whining about "All these newbies" and the rest of the map told him to shut it.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I like to get on pubbie mumble and play with super-serious tryhards because

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

All SFD has to do is show up and they rage at us. Luckily we love it and have thick skin.

But you're totally right to be wary, WvW is incredibly and disgustingly unfriendly to newbies these days. What if a new guy got in a golem thinking it would be fun and looked cool, and got raged at/blacklisted/given death threats? There is a pretty big problem in WvW right now and some pretty foul people being vocal in it.

New guy, come with Goon Squad or SFD guild groups (whichever one you're in) and turn off map chat/team chat. You will still have a great time.

The League system has done nothing but make it exponentially worse. I took a break because I'm not a PvPer, and WvW had gotten stale on me; I'm virtually guaranteed to not come back to WvW with the current atmosphere.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
In the OP, SFD is listed as being homed in Maguuma but a lot of posts recently reference Blackgate. Did you guys move? I ask because I originally selected Blackgate as my home server and as a filthy poor never transferred to Maguuma. Does this mean I can join in trolling the try-hards with you guys?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

buffbus posted:

In the OP, SFD is listed as being homed in Maguuma but a lot of posts recently reference Blackgate. Did you guys move? I ask because I originally selected Blackgate as my home server and as a filthy poor never transferred to Maguuma. Does this mean I can join in trolling the try-hards with you guys?

We're on Maguuma, sorry.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

buffbus posted:

We're currently matched against Blackgate in WvW

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ItBurns posted:

I like to get on pubbie mumble and play with super-serious tryhards because

It's good when I'm roaming so I can keep track of where they are and where they think the enemy is. Sort of like stealing a police radio so you can rob a bank easier

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

So after having some internet connection issues for the last few weeks I've resumed playing my engineer and am making good progress. Things seemed to get much easier for me after I got the tool kit, even though I mostly only use the box of nails and wrench throw powers from it, otherwise focusing on grenades and pistol/shield.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Cephid posted:

The League system has done nothing but make it exponentially worse. I took a break because I'm not a PvPer, and WvW had gotten stale on me; I'm virtually guaranteed to not come back to WvW with the current atmosphere.

The league system has only introduced blowhards and vitriol to mag when I was perfectly fine with finding good fights and nothing more. The skill lag from fighting MLG cookie cutter zergs nullifies any enjoyment from large scale fights and the lack of oceanic or euro coverage is only exacerbated against servers who went out of their way to recruit offpeak guilds.

The whole play for e-peen and not fun permeating T1-T1.5 gameplay is an astronomically stupid mindset to have allowed and why I feel choosing sides in W3 should have been completely isolated from server population. If they used districts instead of servers you would even solve the problem of sparsely populated PvE maps. If they really cared about social gaming, they'd focus on building up guilds because relying on servers has shortcomings that should have been obvious from the onset.

I suspect they can only make more money off server transfers as inflation increases so I shouldn't be surprised why they used such a lovely mechanic.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Isorenieratane posted:

The infinite gathering tools are going to be made account bound instead of soul bound sometime in the future.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Soulbound-Gem-Item-to-Wrong-Character/first#post3188074

I'm kind of tempted to buy a set now. Best thing would be for them to be available for all of your characters on your account, like the dumb ring I get when I make a new guy.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Pretty happy with that change; thank god I didn't buy that awful jack in the box sickle or bone pick.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I don't know. Transferring unlimited use tools between characters sounds like more of a pain in the rear end than just buying the default ones. All for the low, low price of $30. Maybe I'm just crazy.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
I'm going to be optimistic and hope that they somehow make it like the wallet, so that you don't have to switch.

Edit: VVVV This move absolutely fucks over players who bought more than one of each of them, and for that reason alone it's hard to understand why they are making this switch.

sound_again fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 12, 2013

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

sound_again posted:

I'm going to be optimistic and hope that they somehow make it like the wallet, so that you don't have to switch.

That would basically send the message to the players to never buy more than one of a gem store item. This has nothing to do with me having paid for eight of them so far.

Also where is my Halloween axe?!?!?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Delacroix posted:

I suspect they can only make more money off server transfers as inflation increases so I shouldn't be surprised why they used such a lovely mechanic.

Never attribute to malice on what could easily be attributable to stupidity.

Shitposting aside, I'm starting to get bored of GW2 again. :( I got talked out of making ascended weapons for my characters (thanks blin you fucker) and there just isn't any permanent content that interests me. I'll probably come back for the green and purple rap video though.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 12, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Lyer posted:

Shitposting aside, I'm starting to get bored of GW2 again. :( I got talked out of making ascended weapons for my characters (thanks blin you fucker) and there just isn't any permanent content that interests me. I'll probably come back for the green and purple rap video though.

To paraphrase others (who I don't agree with but whatever)... "Thats the great thing! You can take a break and not fall behind because nothing matters!".... except when you come back there still isn't anything relevant to do because progression doesn't exist.

Once you 100% the world and maybe get a legendary or whatever if the people you play with aren't keeping you around theres no reason to log on. I only play for guild events at this point on the weekends and as something to do when I feel like running around exploring. GW2 doesn't have any real reason to devote serious time to it which is fine but probably not what a bunch of people are looking for in an MMO.

Power progression is a good feeling and justifies time investment in a game and there isn't any of that.

E: I guess that this would be less relevant if the PvP didn't suck but that's not really good either so PvE is kindof an important part of the game.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 12, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If you're bitching about progression "not existing" then you entirely miss the point of GW2, sorry. If your only focus is maximizing your numbers and 100% the world, then you're playing this like a traditional MMO and it's not the game's fault you're getting bored. It's about doing a variety of activities with friends like guild missions and dungeons, playing WvW/sPvP, getting difference skins and appearances, saying there's no reason to log on once you 100% the world and get a legendary is really disingenuous.

e: Power progression might be a good thing for you personally but it's not the point or focus of GW2. It doesn't justify things for everyone, speak for yourself.

Lyer posted:

You don't need to quit and come back or whatever like subscription MMOs, just play less, whatever, who cares. There's nothing wrong with taking a bit of a break, there is no sub tying you to the game requiring you to split up your time precisely between PLAYING and NOT PLAYING.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

If you want to make ascended weapons for stat increases alone it's totally not worth it. If you just want them because you want them though go for it dude. I spent about 200 gold Sunday, got both weaponsmithing and huntsman to 500, and made myself an ascended dagger and ascended shortbow. It's pretty painless.

It'll take several days if you are sensible and craft your time gated materials, but if you buy spiritwood and Deldrimor poo poo it takes like 2 hours and only costs like 25g more per weapon.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you're bitching about progression "not existing" then you entirely miss the point of GW2, sorry. If your only focus is maximizing your numbers and 100% the world, then you're playing this like a traditional MMO and it's not the game's fault you're getting bored. It's about doing a variety of activities with friends like guild missions and dungeons, playing WvW/sPvP, getting difference skins and appearances, saying there's no reason to log on once you 100% the world and get a legendary is really disingenuous.

e: Power progression might be a good thing for you personally but it's not the point or focus of GW2. It doesn't justify things for everyone, speak for yourself.

You don't need to quit and come back or whatever like subscription MMOs, just play less, whatever, who cares. There's nothing wrong with taking a bit of a break, there is no sub tying you to the game requiring you to split up your time precisely between PLAYING and NOT PLAYING.

Thats why I specifically said I log on because of the people I play with (You and other miscreants damnit arus stop making me sound like a bad person) and not for the games content.

I mean it's not like doing the world 4 times on alts is more exciting than one time on one character. Dungeons are fun but nobody ever wants to run them you jerks.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I don't even really care about progression really, I'd just want some cool new stuff to check out. A new dungeon with new armor sets would be awesome. I will say that I really liked this living story update this time around, it was almost like a new zone and you got the meta simply by just playing it (or leveling an alt with minimal effort :v:). If they keep it up, I don't think I'll go into a months long hibernation like I did earlier.

But I agree, once you've done everything, there's nothing left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

I mean it's not like doing the world 4 times on alts is more exciting than one time on one character. Dungeons are fun but nobody ever wants to run them you jerks.

I actually do find it fun. James Quall has done world completion I think 5 times. Just because you don't like something personally doesn't make it universally bad for everyone.

We run dungeons all the time. If you only log on for guild missions, of course you'll miss out on them, we're doing guild missions then you dummy.

Lyer posted:

But I agree, once you've done everything, there's nothing left.

That's not true at all though. Even if you have "done everything", the same content with friends can result in a totally different experience though. Even WvW still has some fresh and fun experiences as I've found in this season.

• Locked thread