Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
I got my "learners permit" when I was 15 1/2 (New Hampshire has no formal permit, you just need a parent and your birth cert.)and the only speed limits I had were the posted ones. My dad let me do well over 80 a few times, looking back probably not the smartest idea but it got me used to the average cruising speed around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Saw someone in the right hand lane, with right turn signal on, turn left into a neighborhood yesterday.

There is officially 1 inch of snow on the ground and I need to run errands. I wish I had a dash cam like you guys.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:downs: YAY FIRST SNOW OF THE SEASON :downs:

Words cannot express the... murderous loathing I have for the 4 brazillion chicken littles that hosed up my commute and turned it into a 2.5 hour shitshow.

You mouthbreathing inbred mother fuckers, the snow wasn't even sticking to the road. And massdot was salting the gently caress out of everything anyways. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU? THIS MIGHT AS WELL BE RAIN THAT LOOKS PRETTY. :tizzy:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kastein posted:

Words cannot express the... murderous loathing I have for the 4 brazillion chicken littles that hosed up my commute and turned it into a 2.5 hour shitshow.

You mouthbreathing inbred mother fuckers, the snow wasn't even sticking to the road. And massdot was salting the gently caress out of everything anyways. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU? THIS MIGHT AS WELL BE RAIN THAT LOOKS PRETTY. :tizzy:

Haha it's 40 degrees out and the snow is melting before it hits the windshield, but gently caress that, I'm gonna crash into everything.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

FogHelmut posted:

Haha it's 40 degrees out and the snow is melting before it hits the windshield, but gently caress that, I'm gonna crash into everything.

Quoting myself from earlier ITT:

Geoj posted:

"OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS WHITE poo poo FALLING FROM THE SKY AND SOMETIMES STICKING TO THE ROAD?!? IT DIDN'T DO THIS LAST YEAR! I'M GOING TO DRIVE 30 MPH UNDER THE LIMIT TO BE SAFE!!! :derp:"

Every. Goddamn. Year. Without fail.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My beef with snow is the idiots that can't take 30 seconds to clear their windows. I saw at least a dozen cars last night (in a 15 minute commute) with the rear window completely covered, couldn't even be bothered to hit the button for the rear defroster. I get super paranoid if I can't see out my windows, if I don't know where every single car around me is I get really uneasy. I don't know how people would consent to entering traffic with snow on the windows unless they literally don't use their mirrors.

Though I did see one dude in a Lexus regret his decision, had dealer plates on. Flipped on his blinker to change lanes and had a panic attack when he realized he couldn't see poo poo. Dropped 20 mph and did one of those "three stage lane changes" where he cruised on top of the dashed line to see if anyone started leaning on their horn.

Also saw a two wheel drive S10 backwards in a ditch. Put some sand in the bed you dolt. :v:

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Opensourcepirate posted:

For a few days she had been driving around thinking she was doing MPH when really it was KPH.

I made the opposite mistake after getting my VFR800 (digital speedo). I was fiddling at a red light trying to figure out how to change the clock and then pulled away when the light turned green.
Ten minutes later I can't understand why everyone is so slow today, the limit is 70 and everyone usually goes 60-70, I look down and see I'm doing 80 so I shouldn't be passing this many peopl... "MPH"

Whoops

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

My beef with snow is the idiots that can't take 30 seconds to clear their windows. I saw at least a dozen cars last night (in a 15 minute commute) with the rear window completely covered, couldn't even be bothered to hit the button for the rear defroster. I get super paranoid if I can't see out my windows, if I don't know where every single car around me is I get really uneasy. I don't know how people would consent to entering traffic with snow on the windows unless they literally don't use their mirrors.

Even worse are the assholes who won't bother to brush however many inches of snow off their car after a heavier snow storm. They just clear their windows, sometimes not even completely, then hit the roads and highways still covered in a thick layer of snow. gently caress these lazy assholes.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
The local favorite is the "Tank Commander." I'm sure its commonplace in other spots that get a lot of snow.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The ironic thing is that I've driven a Bradley, and you have way better vision out of one of them than most "tank commander commuters" do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I lived in Alaska, it was pretty common to see people trying to drive around with a foot of snow on their hood. It seems fine when you pull out of the driveway, but once you get above 40 mph all that powder starts to dislodge. Some of it melts when it hits the windshield, causing more snow to stick to the water, making it loving impossible to see. Then they try to use the wipers but the wipers don't work because they've been buried by snow. The upside is they were easy to identify and avoid because there'd be an enormous snow cloud tailing them.

People here in Illinois try the same thing, but we don't get nearly enough snow for it to be that big a problem. Usually the wipers can plow right through whatever builds up. It still hurts visibility (and running the wipers over the top of the ice can't be good for their longevity) but they aren't literally driving blind.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Once every few years Phoenix will get a heavy fog. It's hilarious watching people drive 15 miles an hour down the freeway blinded as poo poo from their own high beams wondering why they can't see a god drat thing. Adverse weather in a place that has no weather leads to the dumbest people ever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SierraEchoBravo posted:

The local favorite is the "Tank Commander." I'm sure its commonplace in other spots that get a lot of snow.

Around here it's either that or "Burqa Driver".

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Protocol7 posted:

I don't know what it is about these people that makes them drive so shittily, but, hey, Colorado drivers I guess.
Halloween night I saw someone slide through a left-turn with a green arrow, he fishtailed like crazy and almost t-boned a car that was sitting at the red waiting to go.

The guy fishtailing was a cop, he was in the middle of a string of cops all going somewhere but SOMEBODY had to go all sideways and gently caress it up. I really need a dashcam but I already plug in way too much poo poo as is.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I particularly like it when I've advised people not to go up/down a given hill, and their response is a combination of a "you're not the boss of me" attitude and "yeah, well, you made it ok, didn't you?". Yes, I did. With four wheel drive, winter tyres, and a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. You, however, are a typical "more throttle is better" dickcheese in a sports-tyre-shod 3-series. Go find out the hard way, I'm off to do donuts in the Asda car park.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Local public transit told everyone to stop waiting for buses in the middle of hills when it's icy, even if there's stops, because the bus might not be able to stop in the middle of the hill.

On my commute to work that day I saw buses not stopping in the middle of the hill as instructed and people, who were still waiting in the middle of the hill, jumping out onto the street and running after the buses, then slipping on the ice and almost sliding under the rear wheels.

It happened at two different stops so I wonder how many people overall can't understand the concept of "sometimes a bus won't stop for you, don't do anything stupid about it."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I particularly like it when I've advised people not to go up/down a given hill, and their response is a combination of a "you're not the boss of me" attitude and "yeah, well, you made it ok, didn't you?". Yes, I did. With four wheel drive, winter tyres, and a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. You, however, are a typical "more throttle is better" dickcheese in a sports-tyre-shod 3-series. Go find out the hard way, I'm off to do donuts in the Asda car park.

Hey, sports-tyre-shod-3-series were solid income for me in high school, back when $20 was an enormous windfall. First big snow, toss some tow cables, a bag of cat litter, and a snow shovel in the back of the truck and go cruising the city looking for people stuck in a ditch to drag them out.

So I fully support people driving sports cars on ice, as long as they aren't behind me.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

some texas redneck posted:

I usually grab the inside lane if I can, as the turning lanes are striped to give me 2 lanes to choose from. This is one of those "3-10x a week" things for me at this loving intersection. So far I've had two hit and runs at this intersection before I had a cam, thankfully both were minor enough that it was just some scuffing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg04jgVPROI

Every. Goddamn. Time. If I'm on the inside lane, someone cuts in and I have to brake. If I'm on the outside, someone takes the turn too wide. If only the road painters could put some sort of dividing lane marker down in the intersection so people would know where to drive safely!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

jamal posted:

They are actually supposed to be the natural speed of the 85th percentile. And by "natural speed" I mean how fast people would drive if there was no posted limit.

The no speed limit thing worked well here in Montana. No one really drove faster than 80-85 on the interstates during the day and fatal accidents decreased during that period, mostly because people had better lane courtesy. These days Texas and Utah have 80mph limits on some sections of highway. I love that section of 15 in utah. You can pretty much get away with going 90.

The speed limit is 75 for most of my commute in North Dakota. I've never seen as many people obey the speed limit as I have here. People are also really courteous about lane changes and passing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

xzzy posted:

When I lived in Alaska, it was pretty common to see people trying to drive around with a foot of snow on their hood. It seems fine when you pull out of the driveway, but once you get above 40 mph all that powder starts to dislodge. Some of it melts when it hits the windshield, causing more snow to stick to the water, making it loving impossible to see. Then they try to use the wipers but the wipers don't work because they've been buried by snow. The upside is they were easy to identify and avoid because there'd be an enormous snow cloud tailing them.

People here in Illinois try the same thing, but we don't get nearly enough snow for it to be that big a problem. Usually the wipers can plow right through whatever builds up. It still hurts visibility (and running the wipers over the top of the ice can't be good for their longevity) but they aren't literally driving blind.

It's not just that, it's the huge amounts of snow these inconsiderate fuckwits drop in the paths of people driving behind them.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

drgitlin posted:

It's not just that, it's the huge amounts of snow these inconsiderate fuckwits drop in the paths of people driving behind them.

Or worse, a nice sized sheet of snow blows off and into the windshield of the car behind them, temporarily blinding that driver to what's going on in front of him at 50+ mph.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I've been doing professional valet parking for a couple of months now, and what little faith I had in my fellow drivers has been further diminished. You wouldn't believe how many people put slippery steering wheel covers on their cars, ridiculous cushions on their seats and hang stupid poo poo from their rearview mirrors. One of my personal favorites is seeing some faded picture of a loved one shoved into their gauge cluster. Why ever would you need to see the gauges? Who needs feedback from their automobile? People are loving animals. Before this job, I could only imagine the lovely condition in which most people drive their cars around, but it's truly eye-opening when you step on somebody's brake pedal and it goes almost all the way to the floor before grabbing. Makes me want to become a cop and just hand out equipment violations like they're going out of style.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

superdylan posted:

Every. Goddamn. Time. If I'm on the inside lane, someone cuts in and I have to brake. If I'm on the outside, someone takes the turn too wide. If only the road painters could put some sort of dividing lane marker down in the intersection so people would know where to drive safely!

They paint these lines around here at certain intersections. People just drive over them.

TheFrailNinja posted:

You wouldn't believe how many people put slippery steering wheel covers on their cars, ridiculous cushions on their seats and hang stupid poo poo from their rearview mirrors.

I believe they call these "mods."

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

TheFrailNinja posted:

You wouldn't believe how many people put slippery steering wheel covers on their cars, ridiculous cushions on their seats and hang stupid poo poo from their rearview mirrors. One of my personal favorites is seeing some faded picture of a loved one shoved into their gauge cluster.

My mother does the seat cushion, hangs stuff from her rear view, and has post-it notes in various places on her dash (including the gauge cluster). I don't understand it, but she's actually a pretty safe and careful driver. I don't understand it personally, even when I had a crappy car and didn't really care about cars in general I didn't let junk pile up in it. Now that I have a car I really care about I don't keep anything except a few essentials in the trunk. You might assume that I'm a neat person but I'm really not, at home I'm a bit of a slob, but when it comes to work and my car and anything I care about I'm pretty drat fastidious.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

My mother does the seat cushion, hangs stuff from her rear view, and has post-it notes in various places on her dash (including the gauge cluster). I don't understand it, but she's actually a pretty safe and careful driver. I don't understand it personally, even when I had a crappy car and didn't really care about cars in general I didn't let junk pile up in it. Now that I have a car I really care about I don't keep anything except a few essentials in the trunk. You might assume that I'm a neat person but I'm really not, at home I'm a bit of a slob, but when it comes to work and my car and anything I care about I'm pretty drat fastidious.

I think everyone should be fastidious. One of my good buddies trashes his car. At any given time there is trash bags/soda cups laying around the floor of his car, and he hasn't exactly had shitboxes - his last car was a 2004 Outback and his current one is a 2007 Mazda3. I'm like, when you're going to sell this, you're going to have a lot of fun cleaning or replacing the upholstery on your rear seats and getting new carpeting on your floors. Or you could just take care of your car.

In my car, I have some paper and pens in the center console, manual in the passenger side door cubby, registration and insurance in the glove compartment, ice scraper in the back seat, and in the trunk I have an emergency first aid kit, tools, and a repair guide for my car. Nice, easy, practical, especially whenever I'll inevitably need on-site roadside repair.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 13, 2013

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Almost everyone who gets in my car says something like, "Wow, it is so clean in here!" Yet, no one says a thing when they come to my clean house. Why is okay to trash your car that you depend on every day, but if I make my house a little dirty I am a bad person?

My mother-in-law has such a large collection of poo poo hanging from the rear-view mirror, it is like having an extra pillar in the car blocking my view.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I try to keep my cars clean, really I do. But then other people borrow it or I feel too tired/depressed to clean it at the the end of the day, so some things get left in it but it's ok because I'll just get them tomorrow except that tomorrow I'm more tired/depressed/busy than yesterday and before I know it a month has passed and my car looks like a homeless person used it for shelter.

TL;DR I am a bad person for how I treat my vehicles.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

I don't know about all of you guys, but I certainly am skewed towards keeping a clean car empty of loose items just by virtue of the fact that I enjoy driving in a spirited manner. I don't want everything flying across the car, breaking things, flying out windows, or hitting me and getting in the way of pedals and whatnot while taking quick turns. People who slow down 15mph to handle a slight bend in the road are never experiencing the kind of g forces even the most mild of us encounter on the regular, and so junk building up never has the same kind of impact on their drive that it might for us. That's my theory anyways. It's also why when I do have things in the car I put so much more thought into securing it or putting it somewhere it can't have bad consequences if it moves around.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Viper915 posted:

I don't know about all of you guys, but I certainly am skewed towards keeping a clean car empty of loose items just by virtue of the fact that I enjoy driving in a spirited manner. I don't want everything flying across the car, breaking things, flying out windows, or hitting me and getting in the way of pedals and whatnot while taking quick turns. People who slow down 15mph to handle a slight bend in the road are never experiencing the kind of g forces even the most mild of us encounter on the regular, and so junk building up never has the same kind of impact on their drive that it might for us. That's my theory anyways. It's also why when I do have things in the car I put so much more thought into securing it or putting it somewhere it can't have bad consequences if it moves around.

Yeah, that's the other thing with having less poo poo in your car. Less distractions, less moving poo poo that could get lodged somewhere awful/become a projectile.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clean cars are a little more significant in areas that get a lot of rain or snow. Random pieces of paper, handful of napkins from a restaurant, various food wrappers.. pretty much anything that qualifies as "garbage" tends to turn into gooey pulp really fast once you start tracking water in, and it's disgusting to have to clean it up. It's twice as bad if there's any food mixed in with it. :barf:

Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I saw a lot more dirty cars when I lived in California than, say, Seattle.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I used to have a cloth-seat nothing special 2002 Monte Carlo that people would ask if it's new up to around 2010. Meanwhile a coworker had a BMW X3 where the passenger side was full of McDonalds poo poo about halfway up to the seat. My girlfriend may not like that I make no effort to hide computer/video cables in my house and there's a fair amount of clutter, but one thing I won't do is leave food garbage out, and especially not in a car. Sitting in the hot sun all day too, that's just gross.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

There are garbage cans right next to every gas pump so it really takes no effort to not fill your car with trash.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Protocol7 posted:

I think everyone should be fastidious. One of my good buddies trashes his car. At any given time there is trash bags/soda cups laying around the floor of his car, and he hasn't exactly had shitboxes - his last car was a 2004 Outback and his current one is a 2007 Mazda3. I'm like, when you're going to sell this, you're going to have a lot of fun cleaning or replacing the upholstery on your rear seats and getting new carpeting on your floors. Or you could just take care of your car.

In my car, I have some paper and pens in the center console, manual in the passenger side door cubby, registration and insurance in the glove compartment, ice scraper in the back seat, and in the trunk I have an emergency first aid kit, tools, and a repair guide for my car. Nice, easy, practical, especially whenever I'll inevitably need on-site roadside repair.

When I'm working several days back to back, the passenger side footwell gets cluttered with a bunch of delivery tickets. Sometimes something fast food too.

I try to clean the car out before each shift (or after, if it's one of the rare shifts when I don't close). When I'm not working, car records + manual + insurance in the glove box, trunk has basic tools, center console keeps an extra pair of glasses + pens + flashlight.

quote:

snow :words:

I'm just gonna leave this here.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

Clean cars are a little more significant in areas that get a lot of rain or snow. Random pieces of paper, handful of napkins from a restaurant, various food wrappers.. pretty much anything that qualifies as "garbage" tends to turn into gooey pulp really fast once you start tracking water in, and it's disgusting to have to clean it up. It's twice as bad if there's any food mixed in with it. :barf:

Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I saw a lot more dirty cars when I lived in California than, say, Seattle.
upstate NY here ( ie: four months of snow ), and it seems like poo poo-filled cars are the norm around here as well.

I can understand things getting messy inside if you do a lot of driving or have kids or whatever, but taking ten minutes every week or so to shovel out the back seat so it doesn't *stay* messy doesn't seem like that much of a burden.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

some texas redneck posted:

When I'm working several days back to back, the passenger side footwell gets cluttered with a bunch of delivery tickets. Sometimes something fast food too.

I try to clean the car out before each shift (or after, if it's one of the rare shifts when I don't close). When I'm not working, car records + manual + insurance in the glove box, trunk has basic tools, center console keeps an extra pair of glasses + pens + flashlight.

I'm just gonna leave this here.

I can forgive dirtiness in your case because you actually try to clean. My buddy's just like, "well, done with my McGriddle" and throws the wrapper down in his passenger side.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Protocol7 posted:

I can forgive dirtiness in your case because you actually try to clean. My buddy's just like, "well, done with my McGriddle" and throws the wrapper down in his passenger side.

See, at least I can take comfort in the fact that I am not that bad. Food related trash gets removed as soon as I get home.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Protocol7 posted:

That's exactly what I meant by the fast food line, actually. :v:

But it does get removed - not always the same day, but within a day or two. I try to vacuum the interior at least twice a month as well. Having black floor mats helps hide any stains. :v:

At one time I was very much like your buddy though - my cars always had trashed interiors, smelled horrible, tons of stains, etc. Started turning that around with my last Accord, then kept the Altima fairly clean. I keep the dash and seats of the Ion clean enough to eat off of.

There's still a few things that could probably be removed - I have a stereo mounting kit that's sitting in the trunk waiting for me to get an aftermarket stereo, along with an antenna adapter. Window shade lives in the trunk when it's not summer, ice scraper/snow brush lives back there year round. Stuff that just seems like it should stay in the car if I don't want it to get lost, even if I'm not using it anytime soon. :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Driving in Costa Rica was rad because there is an unspoken rule that people in faster vehicles are better than you and therefore deserve to pass your slow stupid rear end. A Porsche 911 appeared at warp speed in the rear view mirror of my Daihatsu Terios and everyone behind and in front of me moved half way into the shoulder so that he could shame us with his superior car. He also missed an oncoming slow fruit truck by inches and my heart stopped briefly but that was earlier in the journey before I was desensitized to near misses.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

TheFrailNinja posted:

I've been doing professional valet parking for a couple of months now, and what little faith I had in my fellow drivers has been further diminished. You wouldn't believe how many people put slippery steering wheel covers on their cars, ridiculous cushions on their seats and hang stupid poo poo from their rearview mirrors. One of my personal favorites is seeing some faded picture of a loved one shoved into their gauge cluster. Why ever would you need to see the gauges? Who needs feedback from their automobile? People are loving animals. Before this job, I could only imagine the lovely condition in which most people drive their cars around, but it's truly eye-opening when you step on somebody's brake pedal and it goes almost all the way to the floor before grabbing. Makes me want to become a cop and just hand out equipment violations like they're going out of style.

Ask me about almost wrecking a car yesterday because the reverse gear barely worked and and I had to give it some gas, only to find the brakes barely worked.

And as far as dirty cars go, yeah, you see some poo poo working valet, the worst I've even encountered was a guy who had a small chicken graveyard under his seats. Ugh, how, how do you just throw your bones down like that? I don't always keep my car the cleanest, after working some of my shifts I love to empty out my car. I'm also thankful my car is old enough to have ashtrays in it. They make for the perfect place to throw away receipts, straw wrappers, etc. until I can really clean out my car.

The worst by far is a smoker's car though. Yeah, I know some people like to smoke with the windows down or whatever, but some people man. Nothing better than getting into a customers car and finding ash covering every possible surface, and having all the cheap, cheap plastic be sticky with tar. Oh, and of course the mandatory cup/ashtray in the center console overflowing with ash and butts. I mean, I get smokers get desensitized to the smell of cigarette smoke, but good God, how do you let your car turn into a volcanic wasteland like that? Even the dankest of weedcars I've valeted are still pretty clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
We actually turned away a car one time because the occupants were hot boxing it as they pulled up. No poo poo, the smoke came pouring out when the driver opened the door.