Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

robodex posted:

You can play it without buying IAP, but it's not designed to be played that way.

I honestly don't really see how this is the case. Other than it taking longer to get elevators because dollars come less awesome, I can't really see any way this game applies pressure that TT did not. I mean it's not even like the game is unplayable with slow elevators, it just makes things run quicker. Other than that the only differences I'm really seeing is that upgrading floors does much less (which the iap in the game don't really help with) and you get WAY mlore supplly officers than you'll ever need. It just doesn't seem all that different to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

robodex posted:

I still play TT once in a while to try and fill the last 2-3 dream jobbers I need. Obviously no longer checking it 2-3 times a day but if I'm bored on the subway I'll play it.

The issue is that even with some amazing improvements, TDS just ups the friction so much that it's plain not fun to play. You can play it without buying IAP, but it's not designed to be played that way. All of the cool things that made TT fun and bearable to play are turned way down in TDS.

Maybe I'd agree if I played TT more in the past. I get plenty of bux / money overtime (using the strategy een posted of cycling dream jobs) and I am still opening two levels per day when levels cost 100,000+ now. Just completed the third elevator. Not trying to defend the IAP structure of the game, but it is easier coming from not having played TT. Lately I only play to restock the 3rd tier of stock and typically ignore the fast stocking ones. That became the biggest drag for me, the 5-11 minute items to stock that sell so quickly. I can definitely see why some people may not like it, but just wanted to throw some love for it regardless.

e: Also for those saying the imperial missions don't do anything: I ended up just using supply officers constantly and finally built the communication center. Now all my missions give me 45k+ gold per completion. They're definitely worth it, especially since I saved so much parts while I was ignoring building for the communication center.

OMGzKakaniz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 12, 2013

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

radge posted:

That Zelda esque game Oceanhorn is coming out in 36 hours and looks pretty nice.

Oh for god's sake. Is this confirmed somewhere? I was banking on having more time to clear out space on my iPad, I still haven't started Device 6 that I bought on day 1 :(

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Froist posted:

Oh for god's sake. Is this confirmed somewhere? I was banking on having more time to clear out space on my iPad, I still haven't started Device 6 that I bought on day 1 :(

https://twitter.com/FDG_Games/status/399126748841148416

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

axleblaze posted:

I honestly don't really see how this is the case. Other than it taking longer to get elevators because dollars come less awesome, I can't really see any way this game applies pressure that TT did not. I mean it's not even like the game is unplayable with slow elevators, it just makes things run quicker. Other than that the only differences I'm really seeing is that upgrading floors does much less (which the iap in the game don't really help with) and you get WAY mlore supplly officers than you'll ever need. It just doesn't seem all that different to me.

VIPs come at a much slower pace, for one, and they're about 80% supply officers when they do come (but you can spend 5 bux to instantly summon a VIP.) Upgrading floors only upgrades the stock by 1 rather than 75 so to actually upgrade a floor you need to sink some major bux into them. If you care about completing missions (you shouldn't because the effort:reward ratio on them is hilariously low,) some require you to build specific floors which either cost upwards of 150 bux or will require you to keep building floors until you get the correct one. Moving bitizens in instantly costs bux, and the alternative is to wait and wait until someone chooses to go to a floor with an empty apartment--once you start getting up there in floors, this will be an absolute nightmare.

It's not that the game is unplayable without bux, it's just that it's not very fun. Where in TT I wouldn't feel bad about tossing a bux here and there to complete stocking or move bitizens in, I'm deathly afraid of spending any because they're so hard to come by.

robodex fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 12, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

robodex posted:

VIPs come at a much slower pace, for one, and they're about 80% supply officers when they do come (but you can spend 5 bux to instantly summon a VIP.) Upgrading floors only upgrades the stock by 1 rather than 75 so to actually upgrade a floor you need to sink some major bux into them. If you care about completing missions (you shouldn't because the effort:reward ratio on them is hilariously low,) some require you to build specific floors which either cost upwards of 150 bux or will require you to keep building floors until you get the correct one. Moving bitizens in instantly costs bux, and the alternative is to wait and wait until someone chooses to go to a floor with an empty apartment--once you start getting up there in floors, this will be an absolute nightmare.

It's not that the game is unplayable without bux, it's just that it's not very fun. Where in TT I wouldn't feel bad about tossing a bux here and there to complete stocking or move bitizens in, I'm deathly afraid of spending any because they're so hard to come by.

A couple of notes: I've actually found the cost of selecting a specific floor is significantly lower if you do it once you've got the coins to do so. For example: the Communications floor is around 150 bux from the Levels screen. However, selecting it from the Build Level screen was only 50. It looks like the Levels screen incorporates the cost of the level in addition to selecting a specific floor.

Also, een's strategy from a few pages back eliminates your last item about moving in new bitizens. Built a new residence every other floor so you've got half empty residences. You'll have a 50% chance of moving in someone every elevator trip so dream jobbers come more easily.

However, I will agree that the increase in friction does diminish the fun feeling of the game. It still gives me the same "everything in its place/zen garden" reward that TT does but it just isn't quite as smooth as TT is.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I think upgrading increases capacity by 10%, my Trash Compactor went from 4000 stocked to 4400. With that said, the cost to upgrade increases every time, a level 9 floor costs 11 bux to upgrade, for example. (I may or may not have sunk all my upgrader VIPs in the Holochess Hall...)

VIPs only cost 2 bux if you don't have any in reserve, otherwise it's 2 + the amount you have in reserve. The VIPs in general seem better than in TT, the only one that's a flop is the floor mover.

Concerning Imperial floors, there's a useful bug: if you have one under construction, you can still produce the item it's making even though it's not complete, and it costs 0 bux to hurry. The only downside is that any items from that floor in reserve are erased once the floor is complete, so you can't just get a huge hoard during the construction period.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I also find the imperial floors have weird borders and hit detection for the elevator.

Also, I can't tell if its a feature or a bug but you can send anyone to an Imperial floor at any time to hurry production or construction on that floor.

Edit: one last weird bug with Imperial floors, workers definitely aren't applying correctly. I had 4 hours and 25 minutes left on an Imperial floor and when I added a worker to it, it completed instantly.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 12, 2013

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Froist posted:

SPeaking of space clearing, I'm going to need space for Walking Dead Season 2 if they come up with a release date so I can plan :(

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
I wanted to finally show off the game I've been working on for almost a year and a half (no joke):

Playground Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDXNwgomzRw

It's a 2D tower defense/castle defense game but totally over the top. If you remember my last game Rogue Runner (years ago) then you know I like going way over the top with games.

The game is super strategic. There are 4 locations, each with night and day settings, 5 types of weather, 10 friendly units, 14 enemy units including really great bosses, 9 special attacks, and something like 450 upgrades. I lost count.

The strategy is in the combinations of all of the above. Some units have bonuses or penalties depending on the weather or time of day. For example, some cost more at night, or have weaker attack when it's snowing. The units themselves all have very noticeable differences -- some have really long reach, some fire projectiles, some have high levels of HP or armor. And then the units themselves have bonuses or penalties against other individual units and unit types.

Its pretty complex, which keeps the game interesting over 112 levels. And we spent the last 4 months just on the level design. When you get comfortable with one strategy we pull the rug out from under you and force you to really think about how to win the round.

Anyway I'm really proud of this game, I love it to death. I'm hoping we're about 2 weeks from release. If you watch the video all the way through you'll get a taste of how much content I've managed to squeeze into 50MB so far.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
My post wasn't being a crybaby that someone didn't like TDS specifically, (whoever posted obviously didn't like the entire "non-game" genre)

:siren: News Flash: :siren: I'm pretty numb to people not liking our games at this point.

Glad I could generate a few pages of discussion with my post though.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Playground Wars looks awesome! You should post again when it releases and I'll pick it up for sure.

I'm trying to decide if I like that big honking warning sign or not. It's definitely cool that it's a live feed. It just seems to shut down almost a quarter of the screen :/

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
The security cam only happens at two points, when a tank is incoming (and off screen) and when your base is under attack. You very rarely see it, but when you do, poo poo's going down :)

Also forgot to mention the game will be free.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

Although it's now back up to non-free, I finished it yesterday and it's a pretty decent game. I went full Materialism and Tirade is a really nice skill to have. I do feel like any sequel needs to be a bit less RNG-dependent but overall on Normal it was not to the extent where you have to restart-scum for your first attack except perhaps for the last case.

It's something that could be easily remedied by just having your first round's attacks do maximum damage always.

Great voice acting, too.

Deep voice makes your next attack do max damage. And with the cell phone accessory you can use it twice. I never really needed more damage then that on normal. Also the last case is much easier once you realized the special move uses a pattern and isn't random.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
QuizUp is a seriously fantastic trivia game. It's crazy the amount of topics they have available.

I'm currently playing a game testing my trivia of The Wire.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shwqa posted:

Deep voice makes your next attack do max damage. And with the cell phone accessory you can use it twice. I never really needed more damage then that on normal. Also the last case is much easier once you realized the special move uses a pattern and isn't random.
By the end of the game I was easily able to get max Materialism and Deep Voice. And Objection, which is extremely useful on Witness Protection. I was dumb to pass on the cell phone accessory, granted.

Yeah the last case only took me a retry or two once I figured out the trick. It's a nice change-up from the other prosecutors' tactics.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

radge posted:

That Zelda esque game Oceanhorn is coming out in 36 hours and looks pretty nice.

I just picked up a 5s and this is the type of game I've been looking for on the app store. Can't wait to try it!

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

TDS question: Is a skill 7 dream job worker better than a skill 9 worker in the same shop? I get that I can just give the guy his dream job for the bux and then kick him, but I'm not quite sure what the skill rating actually does so I can't tell if a higher skill is worth more than the double stock bonus from the dream jobber.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Each skill point reduces the stocking time for all products by 1% (rounded up to the nearest minute?) Having double stock is worth it if you can get 3 dream jobbers in a place that has a large stock for the third item.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Can't we just have a Nimblebit thread where all the IAP debate and talk about lovely non-games can go? It could be the black hole for terrible topics in this thread and we could actually talk about iOS games here, maybe.

Which is better, Terraria or that Survivalcraft game?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Bottom Liner posted:

Can't we just have a Nimblebit thread where all the IAP debate and talk about lovely non-games can go? It could be the black hole for terrible topics in this thread and we could actually talk about iOS games here, maybe.

YES

Neither is better or worse than the other, they're hugely different games. What do you want out of them? If it's a Minecraft-like experience, go with the latter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've only played a bit of Terraria on the PC. Which is more like Don't Starve? That's my favorite explore/craft/survive game (and drat does it need an iOS port).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bottom Liner posted:

I've only played a bit of Terraria on the PC. Which is more like Don't Starve? That's my favorite explore/craft/survive game (and drat does it need an iOS port).
As a Terraria-liking person who recently discovered that Don't Starve isn't really even a similar game to Terraria, and is indeed not really that much fun past the first couple of hours, I'm going veer towards the unexpected and recommend trying The Blockheads first for free.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm not normally big on tower defense, but Playground Wars looks awesome and I can't wait to try it.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bottom Liner posted:

Most of the discussion about IAP and stuff in this thread have nothing to do with our games. Suck it up!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm not normally big on tower defense, but Playground Wars looks awesome and I can't wait to try it.

Castle defense! :spergin:

Bottom Liner posted:

Neither are like Don't Starve. Like, at all. It's hard to recommend either with the criteria you're offering us. Try Minecraft and Terraria on a real computer and see which one suits you best, they should both have demos. iOS Minecraft is garbage, don't touch that with a ten foot pole. Survivalcraft is what you want if you want minecraft on ios.

edit:

Kenny Logins posted:

As a Terraria-liking person who recently discovered that Don't Starve isn't really even a similar game to Terraria, and is indeed not really that much fun past the first couple of hours, I'm going veer towards the unexpected and recommend trying The Blockheads first for free.

This guy is wrong about Don't Starve, but correct about Blockheads. The Blockheads is very much like Terraria, try that first.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 12, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can Of Worms posted:

Each skill point reduces the stocking time for all products by 1% (rounded up to the nearest minute?) Having double stock is worth it if you can get 3 dream jobbers in a place that has a large stock for the third item.

It's so satisfying sending a big spender to a level that only has its 3rd tier of product available and you have a full 13,000 items stocked.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I have a question about TDS

Why does my level 4 building full of level 9 skill employees take almost 5 hours to complete the 3rd product?

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 12, 2013

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

robodex posted:

Moving bitizens in instantly costs bux, and the alternative is to wait and wait until someone chooses to go to a floor with an empty apartment--once you start getting up there in floors, this will be an absolute nightmare.

One little trick I've found is that everyone gets off at the Interrogation level whether they want to go there or not. If you're finding the lift a little slow, move all your new residences down to level 2 and assume anyone wanting to go above level 10 is a rebel spy.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

rotaryfun posted:

I have a question about TDS

Why does my level 4 building full of level 9 skill employees take almost 5 hours to complete the 3rd product?

Because it's got a giant inventory?

More items to stock = longer stocking times.

I should clarify that you should be aware that the floors all have different amounts of stock and they are randomly inserted when you build a new floor. So you lucked out and got a big inventory 3 floor early on.

Some floors don't hold very much and end up needing to be restocked constantly. Other floors take most of a day and night to restock but will last two to three days (use big spenders on these to reap huge paydays).

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 12, 2013

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Goffer posted:

One little trick I've found is that everyone gets off at the Interrogation level whether they want to go there or not. If you're finding the lift a little slow, move all your new residences down to level 2 and assume anyone wanting to go above level 10 is a rebel spy.

That does work, but then you also lose the -1minute stocking/building time by not delivering them to stores. Which doesn't seem like a lot but when you're actively playing it can cut down restocking time a lot especially in the early game.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Thwomp posted:

Because it's got a giant inventory?

More items to stock = longer stocking times.

That makes sense. I guess it's just an inconvenience now because I only have 4 stores while the rest are residential. Sure it'll be nicer later in the game.

Are stock sizes static for each level or are they random?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

rotaryfun posted:

That makes sense. I guess it's just an inconvenience now because I only have 4 stores while the rest are residential. Sure it'll be nicer later in the game.

Are stock sizes static for each level or are they random?

Static.

But seriously, bag and save the first big spender you come across. Save his Chiss rear end for when you're ready to finish re-stocking that floor. Make sure the other two items are out of stock. You'll reap enough coins to probably add 2 if not 3 floors at once.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Bummey posted:

Castle defense! :spergin:

Whoops! :doh: My bad!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Tilt to Live 2 will be released on Thursday at a price of $2.99! Also the soundtrack owns.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Evil Sagan posted:

Whoops! :doh: My bad!

Well, it does have towers in it. :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For some reason I expected Devil's Attorney to be anime styled.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Thwomp posted:

I also find the imperial floors have weird borders and hit detection for the elevator.

Also, I can't tell if its a feature or a bug but you can send anyone to an Imperial floor at any time to hurry production or construction on that floor.

Edit: one last weird bug with Imperial floors, workers definitely aren't applying correctly. I had 4 hours and 25 minutes left on an Imperial floor and when I added a worker to it, it completed instantly.

It is a feature, also if you send Leia down to interrogation it triggers a scene.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Luke has a scene in the Communications room, too. It's the one in his white training suit.

Here's something I haven't figured out yet. What does unlocking bitizens do in the shop? It doesn't add them to the album as far as I'm aware.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Davincie posted:

What's the best and hardest Picross game? I fully beat Paint it Back getting all medals/achievements and I want more.

Pixelogic HD has a never-ending stream of 20x20 puzzles, but I found iPacross to have better controls and harder puzzles, though less content. There's 1/2 dozen other well-reviewed picross games out there, some that incorporate colours (and 3D) which I'm sure is even harder, but I haven't tried them yet.

• Locked thread