Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The_White_Crane posted:

"What happened to the heads?"
"The horseman took them, sir."
"For now, our cover story is cult ritual suicide."
"Ah yes, a suicide in which the participants disposed of their own heads post-mortem! That should stick!"

With no apparent nearby implement for them to behead themselves no less, or any way to explain how the last guy beheaded himself. Brilliant, Irving, brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well obviously they all beheaded one another in turn. The last two had to use really good timing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Falukorv posted:

Abby is a little nuts about tap water. Besides, cheap bottled water probably comes from a municipal source anyway, she's probably drinking tap water anyways, possibly from some county with worse water quality than whatever county Sleepy Hollow is located, shipped across the country with diesel-fueled trucks.
Yeah, the lengths humans go to defile the Earth, to paraphrase Ichabod.

Just pretend that Sleepy Hollow has especially bad tap water. I've lived in towns where the perfectly safe tap water had an odd smell or flavor. Occasionally you'll hear about a town that had a particularly bad contamination problem. It is possible that sometime in the last 20 years fictional Sleepy Hollow had a contamination scandal, making it understandable that some folks are off tap water.

She specifically mentions arsenic, which is not a common tap water contaminant, but it can happen. Through natural or industrial processes the groundwater itself can have arsenic contamination. When Sleepy Hollow set up their municipal water system 100+ years ago they probably didn't test for arsenic. So some time in the last 20 years or so they did tests and found that Sleepy Hollow had unusually high levels of arsenic in the tapwater. Obviously not high enough for instant death, but high enough to be a local scandal on a slow news day. High enough to be a worry, and to erode confidence in the municipal water authority.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Angela Christine posted:

Just pretend that Sleepy Hollow has especially bad tap water. I've lived in towns where the perfectly safe tap water had an odd smell or flavor. Occasionally you'll hear about a town that had a particularly bad contamination problem. It is possible that sometime in the last 20 years fictional Sleepy Hollow had a contamination scandal, making it understandable that some folks are off tap water.

She specifically mentions arsenic, which is not a common tap water contaminant, but it can happen. Through natural or industrial processes the groundwater itself can have arsenic contamination. When Sleepy Hollow set up their municipal water system 100+ years ago they probably didn't test for arsenic. So some time in the last 20 years or so they did tests and found that Sleepy Hollow had unusually high levels of arsenic in the tapwater. Obviously not high enough for instant death, but high enough to be a local scandal on a slow news day. High enough to be a worry, and to erode confidence in the municipal water authority.

True, i may need to get out of my bubble, i'm not from the US so i just assumed that their tap water is fine, which most of the time seems to be. Im blessed to live in a country with very good tap water where contaminations are exceedingly rare, maybe assumed too much for the US which is a very different country, both geographically and otherwise.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's also simply lots of people who irrationally think tap water is worse than it really is.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm perfectly willing to believe that Abbie is one of those people who take tap water horror stories too seriously. I know plenty of otherwise reasonable people who think similarly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At my job, the HR lady decided that every faucet and water fountain in the company needs a water filter because "unfiltered tap water is harmful to pregnant mothers", so there is a lot of that going around.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm perfectly willing to believe that Abbie is one of those people who take tap water horror stories too seriously. I know plenty of otherwise reasonable people who think similarly.

Two weeks after buying my Brita pitcher I was told that my town had some of the cleanest tap water in the state.

I sure like having cold water on demand, though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well 99+% of the time US tapwater is perfectly safe. It might not taste the way you want it to (different mineral concentrations between different municipalities) but aside from the rare incident, yeah, it's just people freaking the gently caress out for no reason.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Tap water is regulated and tested like crazy precisely because it goes out to everyone's homes. Commercial bottle water, on the other hand, only has to pass your standard FDA testing. I mean at the end of the day it's just loving water and is fine, but people who think that tap water comes straight from the sewers while bottled water has some kind of crazy standard to meet are idiots.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

And then there's lots of people who say they logically know that tap water's fine, but they still exclusively drink bottled water because I don't know.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Growing up we had... well water...? Something like that and it smelled like sulfur and tasted vile. Or at least the smell was enough to turn you off of drinking it. After 10 years of THAT I'm still hesitant to drink straight from the tap very often.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Lycus posted:

And then there's lots of people who say they logically know that tap water's fine, but they still exclusively drink bottled water because I don't know.
There is no accounting for taste. Also, the taste of the water can come from the pipes after the testing site, like an old house plumbing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Growing up we had... well water...? Something like that and it smelled like sulfur and tasted vile. Or at least the smell was enough to turn you off of drinking it. After 10 years of THAT I'm still hesitant to drink straight from the tap very often.

Even with well water a sulfuric taste/smell doesn't mean the water is harmful to drink. A Brita filter or pitcher works wonders there taste-wise and is a hell of a lot more cost effective than buying bottles.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Oh, yeah! We had a brita filter (and eventually one built right into the kitchen sink) and that's what I use now. I'm sure it tasted fine/wasn't bad for you but the smell (unfiltered) was enough that it was a chore to drink. We never bought bottled water growing up but it made me wary of tap water for the most part.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

That's what I got from the little exchange this episode. Everyone has their flaws, Abbie's just happens to be that she literally believes tap water is evil and will kill you. It humanizes her v:shobon:v

Plus, this gives them a chance to have Ichabod either also take this belief or give Abbie tap water and watch her freak out. Either way, we win.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

raditts posted:

With no apparent nearby implement for them to behead themselves no less, or any way to explain how the last guy beheaded himself. Brilliant, Irving, brilliant.

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but I sort of took that as a sign that Irving was grasping at straws at that point. Like, a growing part of him knows that something's not right but there's still the part that wants it all just to be a lie, so he tries coming up with some sort of excuse only that's the best he can come up with. Then the horseman shows up with an assault rifle and, welp, that's that.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I've always drank tap water and like Ichabod find it really weird that people buy water. I mean, if you are out and about okay, but to fill your fridge with bottles of water? Weird. I'll buy a bottle and refill it with tap water and put it in the fridge for the next day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ichabod Crane being told about Sally Hemmings by two African-Americans is the greatest gag ever. Even better than they kept it going, rather than dropping it after he said "Who?"

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
At least the show complaints here are much better than the Walking Dead thread, but really, it's an offhand comment guys, that was a pretty good show, no?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Bluedust posted:

At least the show complaints here are much better than the Walking Dead thread, but really, it's an offhand comment guys, that was a pretty good show, no?

Huh? I don't think anyone is actually complaining.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KilGrey posted:

We are FIGHTING about WATER!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but I sort of took that as a sign that Irving was grasping at straws at that point. Like, a growing part of him knows that something's not right but there's still the part that wants it all just to be a lie, so he tries coming up with some sort of excuse only that's the best he can come up with. Then the horseman shows up with an assault rifle and, welp, that's that.

If you analyse this comment from the point of the viewer (or anyone involved) who implicitly knows that the masons were beheaded, then yeah it makes little sense. However it works as a covering story for public knowledge as no one is really going to question " 4 masons found dead in ritual suicide".

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

KilGrey posted:

How dare you take my words at 100% harshness.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

No Pun Intended posted:

If you analyse this comment from the point of the viewer (or anyone involved) who implicitly knows that the masons were beheaded, then yeah it makes little sense. However it works as a covering story for public knowledge as no one is really going to question " 4 masons found dead in ritual suicide".

True, but they also wouldn't question "4 masons found dead in ritual murder". It is going to get out that the heads are missing/lanternized, and initially calling it a suicide is going to look like a sloppy cover up.

Then again, this is not CSI. Otherwise Abbey would be sooooo fired for taking down the lanterns and blowing them out before documenting the crime scene.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Gyges posted:

Edit: I love that when Zombie Cho turns his head it's done in a weird, broken neck, way.

It also makes a squishing noise.

The montage of Ichabod beating up the skull was great, as was Irving's action scene. So glad he's on board now. And man that ending was cool. Are they going to interrogate him? How's that going to work?

I also gathered Zombie Cho is forced to do this work because he's not allowed to die until the apocalypse? Although I guess now he's trying to save Abbie by helping them defeat the Horseman but also to secure her a place in the post-apocalyptic wasteland? I can't wait to see what his endgame is.

E: I grew up in California and the tap water tastes generally icky there, so it was all about the Britta filters.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 13, 2013

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Agree with all the positive comments for this latest episode. What I haven't seen anyone mention though is Abbie's (Nicole Beharie) amazing expressions. Every scene she has a different look on her face.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I miss my hometown, it had the best, softest water in the country. Finished first in a national tap water championship (yes, they had a tap water contest, held in one of Stockholms most prestigious restaurants).

Anyways, i'm wondering what they are going to do with the horseman. Just hold thim there indefinately? Can he speak? Part of me wants him free, an undead 18th century mercenary blazing with ARs and shotguns is pretty cool, but probably get old fast.

I wonder if any other horsemen will make an appearance. We've had Pestilence. War and Famine are left. Although i have a hard time imagining War being much different than death.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Angela Christine posted:

True, but they also wouldn't question "4 masons found dead in ritual murder". It is going to get out that the heads are missing/lanternized, and initially calling it a suicide is going to look like a sloppy cover up.

Then again, this is not CSI. Otherwise Abbey would be sooooo fired for taking down the lanterns and blowing them out before documenting the crime scene.

With a suicide you don't have to catch a killer :cop:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Crisco Kid posted:

How did he print stuff off? Lots and loooots of hand-holding by Abby, no doubt. This is the woman who labeled his entire hotel room with instructive sticky-notes, after all.

Holy CRAP a lot happened this episode. But let's ignore how a headless guy sees the glint of silver in his skull.
I laughed every time the headless guy turned his body to 'look' at something.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Bluedust posted:

How dare you take my words at 100% harshness.

I literally take everything literally...LITERALLY!!!

Honestly, I dunno. It's been a long day and I'm easily confused. I need a drink of water.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't pay for it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
You can get it free at the market. :smuggo:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:allears:

Someone needs to like graph the ratio of crazy:awesome this show is running on, because I bet its like like a straight diagonal line reaching upward toward infinity starting from the first second of the pilot.

I can't believe I went into the pilot rolling my eyes at the premise only for it to become like my favourite show can't-miss show since like :bsg:. Everyone seems like they're just having a blast making this show, and that joy effortlessly translates to the audience too. I'm so happy that this shows become such a smash hit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Falukorv posted:

I wonder if any other horsemen will make an appearance. We've had Pestilence. War and Famine are left. Although i have a hard time imagining War being much different than death.
War could drive people into berserk rages in its presence, maybe?

This show really is great, I hope it keeps this up for a long time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Falukorv posted:

True, i may need to get out of my bubble, i'm not from the US so i just assumed that their tap water is fine, which most of the time seems to be. Im blessed to live in a country with very good tap water where contaminations are exceedingly rare, maybe assumed too much for the US which is a very different country, both geographically and otherwise.

In 99% of the US the tap water's fine but you'll find occasional pockets of tiny water systems where it's not so good. Such as mine which has played host cholera regularly in recent years and turns brown twice a year when the temperature changes. They are nice enough to refund my monthly bill when the feds find too much contamination, though. :v:

But, just to make you completely paranoid, bottled water isn't nearly as tightly regulated as municipal supplies.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Accordion Man posted:

War could drive people into berserk rages in its presence, maybe?

This show really is great, I hope it keeps this up for a long time.

Supernatural did a version of war like this that just made everyone paranoid and seeing things to where they formed armies fighting each other.

War would fit in really well with the revolutionary war theme as the idea behind War is more civil war or a war within a community than the war leading to death that is brought by Conquest

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Random Stranger posted:

But, just to make you completely paranoid, bottled water isn't nearly as tightly regulated as municipal supplies.

On the other hand, most bottled water is just municipal tap water that's sent through another filtering process and then sold for a gigantic mark up.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Sleepy Hollow writers confirmed as radicals who will destroy our republic with their anti-capitalist rhetoric. It's already spreading in this thread :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a silly argument because tap water isn't free anyways!

The whole "it was a ritual suicide" bit reminded me of The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul by Douglas Adams where they find a guy decapitated in a locked room with his head rotating on a record player. The chief inspector wanted it to be a suicide so they could close the investigation right then and there.

• Locked thread