Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I like Levi because by all outward appearances he's the archetypical shonen badass who only cares about being STRONG and KILLING THINGS and if you die it's because you're WEAK, but the comic actually shows that while he's pretty cold and ruthless, he's actually a human being who cares about other people.

I think my favorite moment with Levi was during his fight with the female titan, it's obvious on the inside he's absolutely burning with anger at her, but keeps a level head throughout the entire engagement, and realizes they can't beat her- only escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
And man, before that, you could tell he was dying on the inside (even though he said nothing) when he saw that his entire squad had been killed.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think my favorite moment with Levi was during his fight with the female titan, it's obvious on the inside he's absolutely burning with anger at her, but keeps a level head throughout the entire engagement, and realizes they can't beat her- only escape.

He still completely kicks her rear end, though. Like it wasn't even close. The anime did it better, I think. You have several episodes where she is build up as a huge threat and a very capable opponent. She completely wipes out Levi's squad without any major problems., so you think you are in for a full twenty minute episode of Levi vs. Annie going all out.

Then Levi takes off the kid gloves and kicks her rear end in 5 minutes flat.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ArchangeI posted:

Then Levi takes off the kid gloves and kicks her rear end in 5 minutes flat.

More like 5 seconds. Even Mikasa is all like: :stare: :drat:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

flowinprose posted:

More like 5 seconds. Even Mikasa is all like: :stare: :drat:

Reposting this

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think it may have been added for the anime, but the whole thing with Petra and her dad talking to Levi about marriage was pretty gut wrenching.

Also the bit where he presents random dude with the wings of freedom patch and says "this is proof that they lived, to me" is one of my favorite moments of the series.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

I think it may have been added for the anime, but the whole thing with Petra and her dad talking to Levi about marriage was pretty gut wrenching.

Also the bit where he presents random dude with the wings of freedom patch and says "this is proof that they lived, to me" is one of my favorite moments of the series.

IIRC the stuff with Petra was all in the manga, it was all the other family stuff that was filler.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
You'd think she'd like harden out some eye protection after the earlier fight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The crystalized skin looked pretty opaque. Even if she could do that to her eyes it would have blinded her anyway.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Can I request a followup to the Levi part with Mikasa going nuts (including the spin move to escape her grasp)?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

threeagainstfour posted:

You mean when he hands the random dude who fucks up Petra's patch, right? :smith:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Pyrotoad posted:

Isn't Levi literally the most popular character in the entire series though? I thought they actually changed a few scenes in the anime to include him just because of that.

Like the inexplicable scene where Levi appears to extract Eren from anime-only titan ~fusion~, despite previously being injured and in civilian clothes.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

You mean when he hands the random dude who fucks up Petra's patch, right? :smith:

Aw man that was hers? :smith:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto posted:

I like Levi because by all outward appearances he's the archetypical shonen badass who only cares about being STRONG and KILLING THINGS and if you die it's because you're WEAK, but the comic actually shows that while he's pretty cold and ruthless, he's actually a human being who cares about other people.

Surprisingly enough, my favourite Levi scene was extremely early on, where he comforts that dying man despite being completely grossed out his blood. He understands that his own neuroses mean nothing next the lives of his comrades. He could have touched the man on his shoulder and had perhaps the same effect (and Petra was going to worship the ground he walked on no matter what), but he chose to grab the man's hand anyway and look him directly in the eye and tell him that his sacrifice mattered.

Now I love the fact that his personality has infected Eren and turned him into as much of a neat freak. Without the OCD of course.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Now I love the fact that his personality has infected Eren and turned him into as much of a neat freak. Without the OCD of course.

I took that as Eren fearing Levi's reaction.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'm on board with the "Irwin having a bit of a breakdown upon hearing the awful truth" train. That smile he gives, man, looks like something snapped a bit in there.

Has anyone found more fake spoiler pages or other general Isayama fuckery? With what I search, all I find are the same images from before, terrible fanart and yaoi/yuri bullshit.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Surprisingly enough, my favourite Levi scene was extremely early on, where he comforts that dying man despite being completely grossed out his blood. He understands that his own neuroses mean nothing next the lives of his comrades. He could have touched the man on his shoulder and had perhaps the same effect (and Petra was going to worship the ground he walked on no matter what), but he chose to grab the man's hand anyway and look him directly in the eye and tell him that his sacrifice mattered.

People's personalities infecting one another really makes up for some of the relatively flat motivations they start with. What happened to Reiner after being exposed to Eren for too long is of course the funniest.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Reiner losing his god drat mind had nothing to do with Eren, and instead everything to do with the fact that underneath his mass murdering traitor exterior, he's actually a really cool and dependable guy.

So it's great, if you're going to be one of the worse human beings on the planet, at least suffer for it!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I swear this is on-topic.

I recently got to visit the Ojo Caliente hot springs. One of their mineral pools, the Soda Pool, is under cover. It's kind of dark and hidden and quiet - even during the day, most of the light just comes from one backlit window. So this is what it looks like:

Now, as I'm sitting there bobbing along in the hot water, with other random people floating around me... all I could think was: if they got a new red color scheme in here, this would make a great Titan Stomach Pool.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Saagonsa posted:

Haha, that ended in the best possible way.

Seriously though, I think the whole Tumblr fangirl thing is a small fraction of women who enjoy the anime/manga. I wouldn't use their obsession over Levi as evidence of anything.

I honestly see more women getting excited about Ymir and Christa than Levi but it could just be because it's not a thorough cross-section.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Levi figs sell out faster than Mikasa figs and I don't think people actually buy Eren poo poo. He's definitely driving a lot of popularity for the series. It doesn't help that when he's in his civvies he's better dressed than literally everyone else combined.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Levi figs sell out faster than Mikasa figs and I don't think people actually buy Eren poo poo. He's definitely driving a lot of popularity for the series. It doesn't help that when he's in his civvies he's better dressed than literally everyone else combined.

Do Sasha figures come with a tiny figurine potato or is there an actual potato that comes with a Sasha figure?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Saagonsa posted:

Haha, that ended in the best possible way.

Seriously though, I think the whole Tumblr fangirl thing is a small fraction of women who enjoy the anime/manga. I wouldn't use their obsession over Levi as evidence of anything.

I think someone in the thread mentioned that they'd been to Comiket and an entire floor was devoted to AoT. Almost that entire floor was Levi devoted fan stuff, plus a little Eren.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Huh, guess I was wrong. Although to me it sounds more like Levi is just a strangely popular character in general, not just with women.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 14, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Strangely? Levi is a total badass, he can do a Samus-style screw attack with the 3DMG and also he's got a lot of cool qualities that help to flesh out his characterization without having to even see a lot of attention on him explicitly in the manga. A few key things and the author's conveyed a heck of a lot about the character that would otherwise just be "humanity's strongest soldier. Like how he actually cares about people even if he's a bit of a neat freak. What's strange about a cool character being popular?

Also, last chapter was exposition city - but thanks to the new Crunchyroll simultranslations it was one heck of a lot more readable than some chapters have been. Considering getting a sub to read back through, scanlators do their best but it seems like they aim for "we gotta get this out as soon as possible" more so than "we want to do the best possible job on this" a lot of the time.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
While Levi actually is legitimately rad, his rampant (or at least the knee-jerk part) popularity is mostly due to being a perfect storm of traits that are super-popular with nerds. (The only difference whether they appeal more to fujoshi or male otaku is gender of the character.) He's broody, athletic, outwardly cold but inwardly caring, and all of those make it super easy for fans to project their own traits onto them. Mix that into a series like Attack on Titan which is mostly aromantic let's them do anything with those characters.

I'm pretty sure that's mostly just a first-impression love of the character until they actually find him pretty great, though, from his real character traits. He's not actually much of an rear end in a top hat and at least kind of complex.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Agreed posted:

Also, last chapter was exposition city - but thanks to the new Crunchyroll simultranslations it was one heck of a lot more readable than some chapters have been. Considering getting a sub to read back through, scanlators do their best but it seems like they aim for "we gotta get this out as soon as possible" more so than "we want to do the best possible job on this" a lot of the time.
Just keep in mind that the list you see on Crunchy is it. There's no hidden earlier chapters you'll be able to see once you sub.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not really surprised after he threw in the name Mikasa and General Pixis that he might harbor blind nationalism. I'm no expert on Japan but I do know that as a country they do a lot of white-washing of their history with imperialism in China and Korea.

It's weird how there is a pretty clear divorce from his potential imperialist views where the wall of fear is more than a story metaphor for humanity's complacency, but is also a criticism of japanese culture's exclusiveness, and how they try to keep out other people.

Heh, you could read the whole wall concept in a completely opposite way: A major theme is that the wall is (1) keeping out monstrous foreign elements that want to devour the people inside, and (2) actually trapping human beings inside and preventing them from fulfilling the dream of spreading out across the world. Eren's major motivation is to break free of the walls and kill all of the titans outside so that humanity can live free. Note that the titan's attributes and facial features are drawn in a significantly different, more realistic style, and that they're reminiscent of humans, but strangely deformed and defined by their large size. You could take the titans to be racially exaggerated depictions of non-Japanese people that are mindless and driven by pointless consumption.

Now, while most of the human characters are Caucasian, they're specifically German. The one Japanese character is also depicted as genetically superior to all the rest of the characters (granted, there's hinted plot reasons, but details). The area inside the walls is roughly the size of a small country (like Japan), and a later plot point reveals that the walls that are keeping the humans contained are actually made up of massive titans (foreigners) themselves. The creation of the walls is an event that occurred roughly a century ago (could reference WWII, or an earlier event in Japanese history).

Now, not that I necessarily believe that any of this is what he intended, but it's kind of funny how well all of that lines up in regards to AoT being about the virtues of imperialistic fascism.

EDIT: Haha, it also paints the existence of the monkey titan in a horrible new light.

Winky fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 13, 2013

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Winky posted:

Note that the titan's attributes and facial features are drawn in a significantly different, more realistic style, and that they're reminiscent of humans, but strangely deformed and defined by their large size.

People keep mentioning this but I don't really see it, sure, they're deformed, but other than that they look no different than the humans themselves. We have guys like Armin with huge anime eyes and guys like Reiner with more realistic features, while we have titans with realistic attributes and more cartoony looking titans like the infamous "kawaii" titan in Trost. So I believe that point is mostly due to Isiyama's er... peculiar drawing style rather than a deliberate stylistic choice.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Winky posted:

Now, not that I necessarily believe that any of this is what he intended, but it's kind of funny how well all of that lines up in regards to AoT being about the virtues of imperialistic fascism.

To put it mildly, this and similar interpretations seems to ignore HUGE parts of the "text" that is Shingeki.
WARNING: EFFORT POST INCOMING

A key note in fascism is the idea that our society either was or is "perfect", but was ruined by some foreign intruder that either smashed or infiltrated and corrupted said society. In Shingekis case, that would be the titans. Yet it's pretty clear from the get go that Shingekis world is hosed with or without the titans. The only reason Mikasa isn't a sex slave to some rich pervert in the inner city is because of a Erens burning (and admittedly, slightly deranged) sense of justice(I think, can't remember all the details). The way the king and ruling class handles the aftermath of the first attack is also pretty tellin: they first force them to slave away to get any food and they they force them all to fight the titans in a suicide attack. And this is a fifth of all humanity! It really makes you wonder how all those people could so easily be sacrificed. the answer is pretty simple though: It was because they were poor.

Which brings me to my theory regarding Shingeki: Shingeki no Kyojin is COMMUNIST AS ALL-gently caress.
Which really isn't that crazy when you think about it. I might be wrong, but pretty much every good character is a poor exploited person from either the middle or outer wall, which corresponds to the middle and lover class respectively, with some exceptions like Sasha, who we might note is still from a poor hunter family. The exception is Crista/ Historia, and she
is desperately trying to escape the oppression of her rich family, while fighting for the sake of her gay half-titan lover.
She is a gay class traitor and in Shingeki that is a good thing.

But what about the Titans? Are they not a bunch of scary foreign invader? Not really. The latest chapters revelations that Eren can control titans and that titans are humans make is explicit, but from the beginning there was something off about them as enemies. For example, they don't need to eat humans to survive, in fact they don't need to eat at all! So why do they do it? Well if Eren can command titans, and isn't the first to do so, then it's pretty clear why the titans are doing it: because they are forced to. The titans are slaves, just like the humans are. This makes them way more sympathetic then any fascist story would allow them to be. And then there id the fact that they are essentially big zombies, and zombies often stand for the poor and repressed of the world, where the true problem is whether the protagonist will respect the humanity or even ally with the zombies despite their supposed "inhumanity".

This extends to the human-titans as well. At first they might seem like the perfect fascist enemy, happily infiltrating our society and destroying it when the chance arises. But the problem here is that all the human titans that we've seen (besides Ymir, who's never been an enemy of humanity) clearly do not want to kill people. The closets we came to that was Annie, but even she could not bring herself to kill Armin, and her flashback shows that she too has some hidden reason for why she felt that she needed to kill. The same goes for Reiner and Bertolt. And then there is the continued reference to becoming a "warrior". While it could be something lame, I'd like to think that it is a reference to a social caste in the human-titan society that Annie, Bertolt and Reiner comes from.

So where does that leave us? Well the big conflict for Eren is whether he can overcome his hatred for the titans and ally with them against their as of yet unseen master(s)like maybe the monkey titan? Be that's only half of it. Because the other side of the conflict is whether the scouting legion will storm the inner city and beat the poo poo out of the decadent and evil Military police, and then killing the king responsible for everyone's misery before creating the :ussr:dictatorship of the proletariat :ussr:.

If this doesn't happen the manga is utter garbage :colbert:.

(I'm joking a bit, but they seriously need to address some of the issues present in Shingekis world or it's gonna feel like a cop out )

TLDR: "Advance of the Titan? More like ADVANCE OF THE GLORIOUS COMMUNIST REVOLUTIONARIES, AMIRIGHT?"

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Team Four Star have a new Abridged series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr2PyNriPWI

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Winky posted:

Heh, you could read the whole wall concept in a completely opposite way: A major theme is that the wall is (1) keeping out monstrous foreign elements that want to devour the people inside, and (2) actually trapping human beings inside and preventing them from fulfilling the dream of spreading out across the world. Eren's major motivation is to break free of the walls and kill all of the titans outside so that humanity can live free. Note that the titan's attributes and facial features are drawn in a significantly different, more realistic style, and that they're reminiscent of humans, but strangely deformed and defined by their large size. You could take the titans to be racially exaggerated depictions of non-Japanese people that are mindless and driven by pointless consumption.

Now, while most of the human characters are Caucasian, they're specifically German. The one Japanese character is also depicted as genetically superior to all the rest of the characters (granted, there's hinted plot reasons, but details). The area inside the walls is roughly the size of a small country (like Japan), and a later plot point reveals that the walls that are keeping the humans contained are actually made up of massive titans (foreigners) themselves. The creation of the walls is an event that occurred roughly a century ago (could reference WWII, or an earlier event in Japanese history).

EDIT: Haha, it also paints the existence of the monkey titan in a horrible new light.

The Colossal Titan represents Matthew Perry (the commodore not the actor). It all makes sense.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Perigryn posted:

Holy poo poo this was incredible. The ending absolutely killed me.

I HAVE THE MOST AWKWARD BONER RIGHT NOW

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Perigryn posted:

That was fantastic, ahahahahahaha.

"It's time for HANNES!"

...and now I'm sad. Hannes. :smith:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Perigryn posted:

They did a decent job on this, especially liked 5:03 and the SotC music when Hannes showed up. Much better than the awful Hellsing Abridged.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 13, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Perigryn posted:

Okay, that was pretty drat great. I wasn't too keen on Armin and kind of hope they tone back the shrill screaming from him, but otherwise it was pretty solid. Though mostly it made me really want Funi to get their drat dub out of the door already.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jackard posted:

They did a decent job on this, especially liked 5:03 and the SotC music when Hannes showed up. Much better than the awful Hellsing Abridged.

Got a giggle from my by introducing the Armoured Titan with Brock Lesnar's WWE theme.

Edit: and a pitch-perfect Patrick Warburton impression.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 13, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There is also another abridged series by a group called Abridg'd Comedy that's pretty good; they have three episodes and some shorts out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXH2lEAe334

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I do feel that, at the very least, AoT's outlook is too nuanced to be completely fascist; Eren's "eager to die" mentality isn't portrayed as a completely good thing, some of the antagonists are relatively sympathetic, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Winky posted:

I cannot deny all of this, you're right.

quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr2PyNriPWI

"We can't turn around kid, she's gone!" This is great.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 14, 2013