Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I would be up for a monthly meet up for good food. I have friends that are into food, but they also have kids. Finding a babysitter can be a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Really wish I could have gone to the MLP meetup, but I'm currently in Tokyo :smug: One Eared Stag sounds like a really good idea for a goonbrunch.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

enthe0s posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good ramen place near Buckhead? One of my friends recommended me a place called Raku but that's way out in Duluth and would rather not have to travel that far if I can help it.

Yakitori Jinbei in Smyrna, its at 41 and 75 near the Best Buy kinda sorta ish. Thats been my go to for YEARS. Granted, no where close to Buckhead :(

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
Thanks for all the replies everyone! It seems like inner Atlanta is really big on Pho but not so much on other types of noodles. We ended up trying a place called Genki, a sushi and noodle bar combo. It was pretty alright, nothing crazy, but decently priced. Our waiter was really awesome though and allowed us to use both the first-time Foursquare check-in for free edamame, plus a Google Offer for another free edamame when you order a specialty sushi roll.

I ended up getting yokisoba thinking it was the soup bowl ramen experience I wanted, but it turned out to be fried noodles served on a plate with no broth instead. I was pretty ok with my mistake since it was delicious. I just need to learn more about Japanese cuisine apparently.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
It's way OTP, but we just went to Blue Fin Sushi up in Johns Creeks. They had a Tonkotsu Ramen with pickled mustard that was really good, and large enough really that you can split it with two people. I pigged out and had the whole thing though. We went at 6pm on Saturday, right when they opened, and about 5-6 Japanese families with kids in tow walked in immediately for dinner.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

AgentHaiTo posted:

It's way OTP, but we just went to Blue Fin Sushi up in Johns Creeks. They had a Tonkotsu Ramen with pickled mustard that was really good, and large enough really that you can split it with two people. I pigged out and had the whole thing though. We went at 6pm on Saturday, right when they opened, and about 5-6 Japanese families with kids in tow walked in immediately for dinner.

Umaido (http://www.umaidos.com/) is the best ramen, hands down, in the Atlanta/Metro-Atlanta area.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

godzirraRAWR posted:

Yakitori Jinbei in Smyrna, its at 41 and 75 near the Best Buy kinda sorta ish. Thats been my go to for YEARS. Granted, no where close to Buckhead :(

Jinbei's ramen and other noodle dishes are awesome. The yakitori is excellent, too, but they only serve it for dinner. It's actually across Cobb Parkway from the Best Buy, in the Office Depot shopping center.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RHIN0002 posted:

Umaido (http://www.umaidos.com/) is the best ramen, hands down, in the Atlanta/Metro-Atlanta area.

i think you linked the wrong place, this is in suwanee

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mindphlux posted:

Some people have a very liberal definition of "Atlanta". :10bux: says the OP either commutes an hour plus to work each way or is one of those vacation rental landlords that uses "Very close to [Popular Tourist Spot]" to describe their rental property that's about fifty miles from [Popular Tourist Spot]. :v:

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

mindphlux posted:

Meh, I know it's not in Atlanta but certainly in the ~Metro~ area. "Best ramen in a 50 mile radius of Atlanta" would have probably been more appropriate.

It's a drive, but look at that beautiful bowl

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

RHIN0002 posted:

Meh, I know it's not in Atlanta but certainly in the ~Metro~ area. "Best ramen in a 50 mile radius of Atlanta" would have probably been more appropriate.

It's a drive, but look at that beautiful bowl

Ok, fess up, who here works at The Loaf?

http://clatl.com/atlanta/the-atlanta-ramen-smackdown/Content?oid=9645303

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Needed this so badly 3 days ago!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
One of the commentators of that article said Raku Ramen is opening up a second location on Marietta St where Burger Joes used to be. I Googled it and the last mention of this was in May. Does anyone know if this is still happening? If a tonkatsu and ramen place opened this close to my work, I will be eating there every day.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, I pass that place on the way back from Tech sometimes. They had a soft opening last night, must be opening really soon.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Umaido is the right choice for top pick. Through and through, it's the best bowl of traditional style of ramen you can get in Georgia.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Craving French food; going to Atmosphere tonight! Where's everyone else going/went this weekend?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Craving French food; going to Atmosphere tonight! Where's everyone else going/went this weekend?
I'm currently eating crispy pig ears at Wrecking Bar. Bocca Lupo for dinner most likely.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
Just got out of eating at Raku on Marietta. It's pretty good, nothing I would super go out of the way for though. Pros: walking distance to apartment, noodles are good. Cons: egg costs extra (!!), tiny location. I had the shoyu ramen, came with a few pieces of pork belly and some bamboo shoots. It could use some more vegetables I think.

They're still in their soft opening, so maybe the menu will change a little come Monday. They randomly comped our table some pork belly and some lollipops (why) which was cool.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

bee burger posted:

Yeah, I pass that place on the way back from Tech sometimes. They had a soft opening last night, must be opening really soon.

I think it fully opens on the 11th. I dropped in for lunch with some coworkers on Friday. I've had ramen at both locations now, and I've been a bit underwhelmed each time. It's a big bowl, and satiating, but the flavor just isn't fully there. The broth seems like it's been watered down or something, as it doesn't have the richness or depth of flavor I'd expect from ramen. The appetizers were good, and the donburi my coworker ordered looked great, so I'll definitely be back to try some more dishes, but the ramen is definitely a bit lackluster.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Vote for Eater Atlanta's Restaurant of the Year

The choices are:

BoccaLupo - Great pasta and other Italian food at a moderate price (for quality Italian) and in a non-stuffy atmosphere. I went last weekend and it was good, but I really missed Bruce, the bartender, who I had really enjoyed talking to in all my prior visits. The atmosphere is a little more trendy than I like, but the pasta is top notch.

The General Muir - My favorite restaurant and the hosts of our recent goon dinner meet. (Vote for them.)

Gunshow - Been once and really enjoyed it. Can be a bit pricey (I spent $180 just for myself). Probably great for groups, and I nearly always dine by myself, so I miss out on that experience. Definitely on the short list of restaurants I will bring out-of-town friends when they come to town.

King + Duke - My one experience here was good, but not great enough that I have really wanted to go back. I think I like the concept of the food more than the execution of the food. It is in Buckhead and patronized by the Buckhead crowd, and I really dislike Buckhead.

Umi - I've never been. I've read the sushi is fantastic but the Buckhead crowd is in full effect ("Umi has the best sushi" he says as he eats a California Roll). I think the head sushi chef used to work at MF.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

jooky posted:

I think it fully opens on the 11th. I dropped in for lunch with some coworkers on Friday. I've had ramen at both locations now, and I've been a bit underwhelmed each time. It's a big bowl, and satiating, but the flavor just isn't fully there. The broth seems like it's been watered down or something, as it doesn't have the richness or depth of flavor I'd expect from ramen. The appetizers were good, and the donburi my coworker ordered looked great, so I'll definitely be back to try some more dishes, but the ramen is definitely a bit lackluster.

I wish they would update their website or even their facebook or twitter. I have some co-workers that I have been talking up the greatness of tonkatsu and now they want to go and we are hoping for a Thursday lunch. I cannot even find a phone number for their Marietta location.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

It is in Buckhead and patronized by the Buckhead crowd, and I really dislike Buckhead.

god this a thousand times this. I literally just walked in from driving down peachtree in my car screaming "JESUS CHRIST I loving HATE BUCKHEAD EVERY ONE OF YOU ARE WORTHLESS SELF ABSORBED PRICKS AARGGHHAHAAGHHGGHGHGGH"

I think I need to move. =(

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

venutolo posted:

Umi - I've never been. I've read the sushi is fantastic but the Buckhead crowd is in full effect ("Umi has the best sushi" he says as he eats a California Roll). I think the head sushi chef used to work at MF.

Honestly I used to think the same thing of MF Sushi. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I don't want jalapenos on my sushi. I was also put off because the owner came off as a former Vietnamese gangster and he kept bragging how his VIP room had thousand dollar chairs or something.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mindphlux posted:

god this a thousand times this. I literally just walked in from driving down peachtree in my car screaming "JESUS CHRIST I loving HATE BUCKHEAD EVERY ONE OF YOU ARE WORTHLESS SELF ABSORBED PRICKS AARGGHHAHAAGHHGGHGHGGH"

Doesn't sound like anything a good spree wouldn't cure.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

King + Duke - My one experience here was good, but not great enough that I have really wanted to go back. I think I like the concept of the food more than the execution of the food. It is in Buckhead and patronized by the Buckhead crowd, and I really dislike Buckhead.

Voted for General Muir. I agree, it was pretty awesome food we had. We'll be going back regularly now. King + Duke is missing something... proper flavor profiles? I mean, it's so close to being awesome, but it's just not.

mindphlux posted:

god this a thousand times this.

Having just moved to Buckhead a year ago from the farmlands of North Carolina, I totally understand. We keep trying "Buckhead" restaurants and hate the whole vibe. F&B being the exception to the rule. It is the only snobby Buckhead restaurant we absolutely love going back to, as the food is perfection, and it's close by. It's also got a more intimate feel, not like some giant loud soulless room like everywhere else.

Also, I wasn't sure if this was posted awhile back, but this list always give me a LOL

The 25 douchiest bars in Atlanta
http://www.complex.com/city-guide/2012/11/douchiest-bars-atlanta/

Landrobot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 13, 2013

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Threw a vote to Gunshow. It's been the best meal I've had all year (my gf has been begging to go back).

I have to admit, since moving to the Buckhead area a little over a year ago, it hasn't been TOO bad, except when my drive home past The Ivy and Johnny's Hideaway makes me feel like I'm a car in Frogger. Seriously, I've had way too many close calls by assholes just running into the street at night. Then again, I don't really visit many of the local places anyways since they aren't my style :smugdog:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I went to Raku on Marietta St. for lunch today. No tonkatsu on the menu(Even though the restaurant name on the printed menu still says, "Raku Tonkatsu+Ramen", and when I asked the waiter about it he didn't know what tonkatsu was, and pointed me to get the tonkotsu ramen. I told him tonkatsu is fried pork and tonkotsu is pork broth ramen and he said he didn't know anything about that. I went ahead and got the ramen though, and it was just ok.

The soup base is a little bland. It's not worth 9 bucks as it wasn't even very much food. I just got the same thing at Blue Fin Sushi up in Johns Creek and it was a huge bowl with tons of chashu. At Raku, you get three little slices of chashu in there. I was going to bring my office tomorrow for our weekly lunch together, but I'm glad I scouted it today, because I don't think it's a place I'd recommend.

Afterwards, I tried to ask a few more questions about whether this is a soft opening menu or will it be expanded, and the waiter again said he didn't know anything. I understand with new restaurants it's hard to teach all the staff about the food and what's being planned, but you'd think the wait staff would have some kind of information.

I'll probably wait a few weeks and try it again, because I'm that desperate for a good Japanese lunch place, but they aren't starting off very well.

kontona
May 3, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

I went to Raku on Marietta St. for lunch today...

that's a little disappointing. hopefully they'll work out the kinks soon. would be nice to have a ramen place in that area of town.

has anyone been to the other location?

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

kontona posted:

that's a little disappointing. hopefully they'll work out the kinks soon. would be nice to have a ramen place in that area of town.

I've been to the Duluth location and the ramen is decent at best. I don't like that the noodles aren't fresh-made, but its certainly not bad by any means. The Duluth location does have tonkatsu so no idea what that's about.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I called Raku up today to check because my co-workers were all excited about tonkatsu and it was my turn to choose a place. I had to call the Duluth Raku to get the number because the Marietta St Raku has no online presence at all. Anyway, I just wanted to ask about the menu and future full menu opening, but I got the same waiter from yesterday, and I think he remembered me too, because he was a real jerk on the phone. We went thru the whole tonkatsu is not tonkotsu speil again, and when I explained the difference, he did this whole, "Well, look at you now, knowing Japanese and everything..." I'm not trying to be some kind of Japanese food expert, but when you work at a restaurant that serves Japanese food, at least take some time to learn a few words. Also, he did say this is it for the grand opening, as in this is not a soft opening, and that is their menu. No tonkatsu.

Anyhow, we all ended up driving up to Marietta to Tasty China. God, I love that place. It was packed as hell, and I think we all left sniffling from the chili count, but you can't beat the amount of food they pile up on you. Maybe I'll drive them up to Egesushi for a tonkatsu one day. It's not much farther than Tasty China even.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

AgentHaiTo posted:

We went thru the whole tonkatsu is not tonkotsu speil again

"We serve boogers, not burgers. Who cares anyway?"

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

kontona posted:

I've been to both. The broth is a little weak, but the noodles are tasty.

I went to Raku on Marietta again earlier this week (Tuesday I think?) and it was better than this past Friday. The soup was richer than I remembered. The combo is a huge meal for $12. It's a small bowl of donburi and a full bowl of ramen, with some throwaway salad. The spicy pork donburi was tasty. The ramens don't have eggs in them so I'm very confused by that (they had them at the Duluth location).

The waiters seem clueless for the most part but I'm not sure I can knock them since they seem to have very minimal, if any, training at all. It's definitely worth a try, just don't expect some high level of Japanese food knowledge from the staff.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The General Muir won Eater Atlanta's restaurant of the year: http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/11/18/announcing-the-2013-eater-awards-for-atlanta.php

I'm happy.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, in staying at the Hyatt Regency hotel in Atlanta the next few days starting tomorrow. What few places should I definitely target for my girlfriend & I? Not looking to spend a poo poo ton of money, but I wouldn't mind dropping $75 on our meals if it's worth it....but, cheaper the better..

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

89 posted:

So, in staying at the Hyatt Regency hotel in Atlanta the next few days starting tomorrow. What few places should I definitely target for my girlfriend & I? Not looking to spend a poo poo ton of money, but I wouldn't mind dropping $75 on our meals if it's worth it....but, cheaper the better..

1. Underground Atlanta - it's probably the most amazing place in all of downtown Atlanta. It's within walking distance; I suggest going at night.
2. Hard Rock Cafe - hands down the most foodie place in Atlanta
3. If you have a car, and want a nice drink, the Clermont Lounge is a cool place to sip a beer and relax

In all seriousness, do you have a car? Us Atlanta folk never go downtown for anything (may I speak for the whole group?). There's plenty of good places nearby (driving), just let us know what you're in the mood for.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Landrobot posted:

1. Underground Atlanta - it's probably the most amazing place in all of downtown Atlanta. It's within walking distance; I suggest going at night.
3. If you have a car, and want a nice drink, the Clermont Lounge is a cool place to sip a beer and relax

In all seriousness, do you have a car? Us Atlanta folk never go downtown for anything (may I speak for the whole group?). There's plenty of good places nearby (driving), just let us know what you're in the mood for.

I have a car, but with it being a big city and the fact I'm only in town for a couple of days, I might just stick within walking distance unless there's something just totally bad rear end I need to hit up? :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

I appreciate your attempt at ITP centricness, but there's plenty within a reasonable distance of the hyatt/downtown.

if you're looking for lunch, visit the sweet auburn market - it's pretty cool. there are some decent places between peachtree/auburn st / peachtree / marietta street too. a couple vietnamese/korean places and some poor but passable attempts at doner kebabs.

anyways, the edgewood area over the highway has tons of nightlife and good food, check out the sound table and clubs/bars in area. get an uber and go get food farther intown - tons of great options in midtown / poncey highlands / inman park

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Is anyone going to plan the Sushi dinner place soon? I would plan it, but I've never been there before.

In other news, went to the General Muir again last night, so so good! We have reservations at the Ink & Elm for this Saturday, so that should be good.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

So Ria Pell died tonight. Heart attack. That's pretty lovely, figured this thread would want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright, here's a poll thing for dates for a Japanese dinner at shoya izakaya. I'm personally most free during the week, but if the majority of yall wouldn't be able to come out on a weeknight, please yell at me.

:siren: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/14bBZmasvLUlj59OsqjXRKf5lpECEUQXeL5CC4KEHxkU/viewform :siren:

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 25, 2013