Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Russad
Feb 19, 2011

raditts posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with the Sonic Batarang not working? I had it work once in a predator room where the guy just walked up to it and shot it, but every other time I've tried to use it to distract someone they just walk right by it like it doesn't even exist.

Did you use it already on the guy who shot it? I've only had enemies destroy them if I had already lured them with it once and then not dealt with them afterwards.

I've had the Sonic 'rang fizzle out a few times, and I'm not sure what causes it but I suspect it is that I am throwing it too far away from anyone, but for the most part it works as you would expect it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Russad posted:

Did you use it already on the guy who shot it? I've only had enemies destroy them if I had already lured them with it once and then not dealt with them afterwards.

I've had the Sonic 'rang fizzle out a few times, and I'm not sure what causes it but I suspect it is that I am throwing it too far away from anyone, but for the most part it works as you would expect it to.

Nope, it was the first time I'd even bothered using it, threw it a couple feet behind a guy, he turns around to look and almost immediately shoots it. Ever since that point nobody else in the whole game world would even acknowledge it was there, even if I threw it at a wall right next to their head.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Oh, you may have thrown it too close to him. When I was doing the "lure guys into takedowns using sonic batarang" challenge, I threw a few right behind some guys just to distract them, and they immediately alerted.

Edit: I don't know about the other thing though. I haven't had any global issues with people not recognizing them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Why is the skill progression system so linear? Who benefits from that?

I don't think they did a good job designing it but conversations in this thread make it very clear they needed to redesign the skill system as people were just getting Disarm and Disable and never using anything else ever. That kind of implies it is not a move that it should be available early in the game because it's making people never do anything but it and in turn causing them to have severe issues. They really did need to create a tree that puts super-powerful moves later on so people have reason to actually try different abilities out instead of getting one do-all move and then getting completely stuck when the combat system rewards anything else. (See how many people never use a glue grenade on Firefly or the Batclaw on Deathstroke.)

As I said, I don't agree with the solution and it doesn't seem to have worked, but moves like D&D are clearly pretty damaging because they, in the long run, hurt the combat system because players come to rely on one or two specific moves and will then get stuck if they lose access to those moves or those moves don't work. It's okay to include a trump card move as long as it comes after players have already mastered what they need to do. AA was really good about this. I thought AC was but I may have to reevaluate that considering how much losing a couple of moves throws people off.

The Shock Gloves/BAT suit from the Wii U AC and the tutorial area both also seem to be a response to this. I like the optional tutorial but the Shock Gloves are pretty hamfisted and half-baked. Instead of figuring out a way to really teach the player to deal with difficult situations it's just a "get out of doing anything but button-mashing free" card, which isn't a sign of good design when you already have Takedowns which do the same thing but better.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 12, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think they did a good job designing it but conversations in this thread make it very clear they needed to redesign the skill system as people were just getting Disarm and Disable and never using anything else ever, which kind of implies it is not a move that it should be available early in the game because it's making people never do anything but it and in turn causing them to have severe issues. They really did need to create a tree that puts super-powerful moves later on so people have reason to actually try different abilities out instead of getting one do-all move and then getting completely stuck when the combat system rewards anything else. (See how many people never use a glue grenade on Firefly or the Batclaw on Deathstroke.)

How do you not use a glue grenade on Firefly? The on screen prompts specifically tell you to!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

raditts posted:

How do you not use a glue grenade on Firefly? The on screen prompts specifically tell you to!

I don't know, but several people in this thread and other places have admitted to just plinking the guy down very slowly with Batarangs. If you turn off hints (to remove the counter icons) you don't get that hint so it may be people playing it that way.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I'd say Origins is a considerably better game than Asylum, which suffers from linearity, length and limited moves in comparison. But of course that's disregarding the innovative genius of Asylum to begin with, which took that first step for this wonderful series where combat more closely resembles the rhythm game they set out to make than your typical beat-em-up. And also disregarding the conservativeness of Origins which settled for mimicry--in fairness, this approach served them wonderfully and it would have served them even better to further mimic in the few areas of deviation.

Linearity isn't always a bad thing. Having a GTA style overworld just added a bunch of boring busywork travelling from one mission to the next. Not to mention the fact that this also means they have put a bunch of lame riddler towers and shitload of riddler trophies to make those open areas seem less open.

hpereznoble
Nov 8, 2013

by XyloJW
Great Post!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think they did a good job designing it but conversations in this thread make it very clear they needed to redesign the skill system as people were just getting Disarm and Disable and never using anything else ever. That kind of implies it is not a move that it should be available early in the game because it's making people never do anything but it and in turn causing them to have severe issues.
It's because vaulting over/Aerial Attacking stun rod/shield thugs gets extremely loving old very quickly, more so when there are issues like shield thugs sometimes attacking so preternaturally quickly right after you attack an enemy that there's virtually no chance of dodging them.

I don't doubt that there are players who have to have D&D just to deal with these enemies at all, but even when you know how to take care of them otherwise they tend to severely outstay their welcome in any reasonably well–populated fight.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

MMAgCh posted:

It's because vaulting over/Aerial Attacking stun rod/shield thugs gets extremely loving old very quickly, more so when there are issues like shield thugs sometimes attacking so preternaturally quickly right after you attack an enemy that there's virtually no chance of dodging them.

I don't doubt that there are players who have to have D&D just to deal with these enemies at all, but even when you know how to take care of them otherwise they tend to severely outstay their welcome in any reasonably well–populated fight.

The nice thing about those thugs is that you hit them once and they magically turn into regular thugs that you can attack any way you want to. Is it really so terrible to have enemies that force you to break your routine of just hitting X and Y?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Stun rods, and shields in particular, are pretty much specifically designed to annoy you into focusing them down first. Punching them until they simply drop the weapon removes the threat for maybe two seconds until someone else picks it up. Why on earth would people want to eliminate deliberately irritating combo-ruiners from fight scenes? I can't loving imagine. It's not like there's no way to win fights without D&D, or that it's even the most efficient ability to use combo skills on, but it's a quality-of-life crutch.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

RyokoTK posted:

Stun rods, and shields in particular, are pretty much specifically designed to annoy you into focusing them down first. Punching them until they simply drop the weapon removes the threat for maybe two seconds until someone else picks it up. Why on earth would people want to eliminate deliberately irritating combo-ruiners from fight scenes? I can't loving imagine.

Why on earth would people want fight scenes with no challenge, in which the player can just mash X and win? There are so many options for dealing with shields and stun baton enemies, and you get more and more options as the game progresses. It is trivially easy to spot an enemy going for a weapon on the ground and prevent him from picking it up. There's no reason to dumb down the game and remove any semblance of variation in the gameplay just because some people can't be bothered to learn to use tools that have been in the series for three games now.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

THE CHORSE posted:

Why on earth would people want fight scenes with no challenge, in which the player can just mash X and win? There are so many options for dealing with shields and stun baton enemies, and you get more and more options as the game progresses. It is trivially easy to spot an enemy going for a weapon on the ground and prevent him from picking it up. There's no reason to dumb down the game and remove any semblance of variation in the gameplay just because some people can't be bothered to learn to use tools that have been in the series for three games now.

Yeah, mashing X to win totally describes every fight in every game before shields show up, and the gameplay of Arkham in general. :rolleyes: Shields aren't hard to deal with, they're just not fun to deal with, and doing aerial attack over and over again to disable them tediously slows down the pace of combat for no benefit.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, mashing X to win totally describes every fight in every game before shields show up, and the gameplay of Arkham in general. :rolleyes:

Umm, it doesn't? Just about every single fight in City wound up being "push X, knock guy down, jump-twist 20 feet to next guy, push X, knock him down, repeat." There wasn't a whole lot of variety or challenge in that combat. Asylum had even less variation.

RyokoTK posted:

Shields aren't hard to deal with, they're just not fun to deal with, and doing aerial attack over and over again to disable them tediously slows down the pace of combat for no benefit.

If you have to do aerial attack (or disarm & destroy, or instant takedown, or a shock glove attack, or...) more than once per shield in a fight then you're doing it wrong.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

THE CHORSE posted:

If you have to do aerial attack (or disarm & destroy, or instant takedown, or a shock glove attack, or...) more than once per shield in a fight then you're doing it wrong.

You're right, camping a weapon drop like I'm a ten-year-old playing Quake 2 for the first time is the height of Batman to me. My point that shield enemies are simply tedious and not fun to deal with stands.

Also, I guess all the other enemy weapons and variations don't actually affect gameplay whatsoever; the only challenge in combat in Arkham is from shields. Not body armor or knives or anything else.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

RyokoTK posted:

You're right, camping a weapon drop like I'm a ten-year-old playing Quake 2 for the first time is the height of Batman to me. My point that shield enemies are simply tedious and not fun to deal with stands.

You don't have to camp a weapon drop to manage the combat area properly, which is really what combat in the Arkham series is all about - looking at the numbers and types of enemies, their locations relative to Batman, whether they are running toward Batman or actively attacking, whether they are stunned and vulnerable to a ground or multi-takedown, whether they are running for a weapon crate... and watching whether they are running toward or picking up a weapon or shield, which has been part of the series since Asylum.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

THE CHORSE posted:

You don't have to camp a weapon drop to manage the combat area properly, which is really what combat in the Arkham series is all about - looking at the numbers and types of enemies, their locations relative to Batman, whether they are running toward Batman or actively attacking, whether they are stunned and vulnerable to a ground or multi-takedown, whether they are running for a weapon crate... and watching whether they are running toward or picking up a weapon or shield, which has been part of the series since Asylum.

Yeah enemy management is the name of the series. None of the combat toughness is ever really about tough enemies, its about situations where you're able to plan in advance compared to fights where youve got to be on your toes constantly with improvisation.

Shield thugs have never been a problem or annoyance for me. Only guys that ever really get to me are the padded ones, and that's just because its easier to mistake them for a normal thug in the heat of the moment and lose your combo.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 12, 2013

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Just finished Blackgate and I'm feeling kinda mixed about it. The 7.5 reviews seem to be spot on. It's a solid MVania with a few problems that drag the game down. Can't say I'd recommend it at full price, but if/when it hits $20-$25 then I'd say it's a no-brainer.

Good stuff

The exploration is fun for the most part, and figuring out where to go next and how to get there is just challenging enough. The story is decent and I liked the puzzle nature of most of the boss fights. It was satisfying to figure out the trick for each one and then pull it off with the right timing. There's a ton of collectables and they're all shown on the map, which is nice. BUT:

Bad stuff

The map is loving horrible! 2D, top down isn't enough when you're in a pseudo-3D environment. The game really needed a Metroid Prime-like map where you could see the different levels of a room each exit was on. Combat is sparse and pretty annoying when it does show up. I'm not sure how I'll ever get those 50 or 100 combo trophies. There aren't enough thugs in any one spot to keep it going for that long, and I lost track of how many times Batman would attack the wrong thug because of the 2D perspective.

Also, there's way too much forced backtracking. It's nice that you can tackle each area mostly in the order you want, but there were too many times where I'd be in one area and have to get to an exit, go deep into a different area, do the thing I had to do there and then get sent all the way back to where I was in the first place. And there's a part near the end where you have to go through some of each area again before the last fight that just felt like time-padding.

And while it's nice to have so many collectibles, the lack of a clear save file or new game+ just makes me not want to bother. Sure, the game warns you when you get to the point of no return, and I have a save file right before then, but it would've been nice to be able to either fight people again or just run through and grab everything with all Batman's toys already unlocked. At that point I just want to finish the game, collectibles be damned.

I'll probably go through and get the platinum at some point in the future, but right now I'm done with it. I've got PS3 Origins sitting here from Gamefly and I'm gonna start in on that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah that's a decent summary of the game. The map is garbage and there are some areas where it is (I think deliberately) unclear of how to get from A to B, even when you've cleared the area out and you've passed through it before. And I really dislike the bosses, because the puzzle nature is nice but they pretty much kill you straight away if you do it wrongly and don't provide a challenge whatsoever if you do it the right way. On the other hand, I thought the backtracking was handled pretty well, because there's always a new pickup or two you can grab along the way, and since you unlock secondary entrances to most of the areas it definitely goes quicker the second time. I do wish areas would repopulate themselves because Blackgate is very... sparsely populated, even to start with.

The lack of a quick-to-play challenge mode in a loving portable game is inexcusable, though, given it's in all the other Arkham games.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

THE CHORSE posted:

Umm, it doesn't? Just about every single fight in City wound up being "push X, knock guy down, jump-twist 20 feet to next guy, push X, knock him down, repeat." There wasn't a whole lot of variety or challenge in that combat. Asylum had even less variation.

This is an odd thing to say. In smaller battles, sure, you can lock down a shield, but when you have 20+ dudes and five or six pain-in-the-rear end weapons juggling around, it's pretty nice to just destroy them. Gun guys too, they're a lot less shy about ruining your combo than AC. D&D is just another tool in your kit, one of 17 different attacks, not to mention the variety of gadgets available. I use all the other moves too, but in Origins, far more than AC, any armed enemy can't really be ignored and if you try to fight around them they're going to destroy your combo.

And yes, D&D should work in concert with batclaw disarms and glue grenades as far as managing enemy inventory.

Also it has probably the most satisfying animations in the game.

I also tend to judge combat by the challenge rooms. Who cares if you can't D&D six thugs wondering the streets of Arkham. Extreme challenge rooms though are a whole different matter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Stun rods, and shields in particular, are pretty much specifically designed to annoy you into focusing them down first. Punching them until they simply drop the weapon removes the threat for maybe two seconds until someone else picks it up. Why on earth would people want to eliminate deliberately irritating combo-ruiners from fight scenes? I can't loving imagine. It's not like there's no way to win fights without D&D, or that it's even the most efficient ability to use combo skills on, but it's a quality-of-life crutch.

It doesn't take two seconds and there are a wide variety of things you can do to prevent them from picking up the weapons again. For everything but shield enemies the glue grenade effectively removes them from the fight until you choose otherwise. Batarangs are the same for everything but shield and armored enemies. Shield are vulnerable to every form of takedown and give you invincibility frames when air attacking. All of these contribute to your variation bonus as part of natural combat to boot, which gives you a higher grade/more points. Trying to Aerial Attack a non-shielded enemy is actually harder than doing it on a shielded enemy due to lack of Invincibility frames.

RyokoTK posted:

Shield guys maybe but stun rod guys are extremely minor issues unless you're just attacking wildly. They are vulnerable to pretty much everything in your inventory EXCEPT a straight punch. Shield guys, as mentioned above, are more troublesome but are still pretty trivially taken out. Part of keeping a combo going in AC is knowing how to keep it going through any situation. They're not 'dilberately irritating combo-ruiners' they're part of keeping combos extended and flowing. Every type of enemy in the game has one (or more) 'counters' you use and a big part of the combat system is mixing the counters together to keep flowing together.

Something like the Titans from AA/AC are far worse about ruining combos than shield guys and one of the good things AO did was replace them with enemies who are far more combo-friendly. If I had to say AO had a big combo-ruiner it would be Armored enemies and those are just because the art design is worse than Arkham City for them and so it's harder to recognize them at a glance.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 12, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Something like the Titans from AA/AC are far worse about ruining combos than shield guys and one of the good things AO did was replace them with enemies who are far more combo-friendly.

I was with you up until here. You can easily up your combo by 30 or so by wailing on one of these guys and Batswarming every 5 hits, and if it's one you can rodeo on, you can get another 20-30 and don't even have to worry about being hit!

The problem with shield / stun / knife guys in Origins is that the camera is so close that you often can't see them coming until they're already on their way to attack you.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 12, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

raditts posted:

I was with you up until here. You can easily up your combo by 30 or so by wailing on one of these guys and Batswarming every 5 hits, and if it's one you can rodeo on, you can get another 20-30 and don't even have to worry about being hit!

Yeah for sure, but I think ImpAtom was just specifically referring to the charges they do. With their massive size you have to get decently far out of their way and sometimes they can trip you up even when you see it coming if it starts while youre in the middle of a long animation close by.

There's one really small addition I love in Origins that doesn't get mentioned too often: that grading system for each fight and predator room. In the past it always showed the points too, but I really like the additional C-B-A-S ranking as a quick reference and as inspiration to mix up your approach even when you don't need to. Also the "threat level" of each encounter is nifty too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

raditts posted:

The problem with shield / stun / knife guys in Origins is that the camera is so close that you often can't see them coming until they're already on their way to attack you.

You can get your combo up on them but they involve very specific and lengthy diversions from the combat system while pretty much everything else is naturally integrated into it. They dominate the playing field in a way nothing else really does with their charges and general attack style. Even the one-armed hammer thug in AC is a similar idea without being as disruptive to the freeflow combat.

I will say that I think the concussive grenades are a pretty dumb gadget, especially when compared to the REC gun. They don't really have fun interactions and the delay makes it hard to really use them on a whim, whereas something like the quickfire gel takes a moment to set but then can be detonated at an optimal moment. Power Grenades are a little better since they insta-trigger but the REC gun was just so much better designed.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 13, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Unless I missed it, Origins really doesn't have anything like the REC gun for blasting armored dudes off of their feet, does it? That was always a handy way to deal with an armored guy in a fight, just quick fire the REC gun at him.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So I think I've got a lovely bug- my objectives keep reading "Locate Black Mask" and "deactivate the jamming tower" at the radio station, but I can't seem to do so. I walk into the room, the Riddler says, "You shouldn't be in here, fly away, little bat" but there's nothing to interact with or prompts as to what to do. I got frustrated by this and somehow stumbled across the ship where Penguin is, beat Deathstroke, and then got the Lacey Towers mission. However, after a patch, there's no cues for Lacey Towers, and I'm still told to deactivate the jamming signal. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or do I have to restart the game due to a bad save or bug?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Unless I missed it, Origins really doesn't have anything like the REC gun for blasting armored dudes off of their feet, does it? That was always a handy way to deal with an armored guy in a fight, just quick fire the REC gun at him.

Nope. The Shock Gloves give you a nosell on them like everything else but that's about it. It's a really noticeable absence too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

raditts posted:

The problem with...knife guys in Origins is that the camera is so close that you often can't see them coming until they're already on their way to attack you.

I haven't had this problem at all (the camera and such), at least no more than I did in the other two games. The problem with Knife guys in Arkham City was that the move to counter them and gently caress them up never seemed to work and was impossible to time; at least for me. I can deal with Knife Guys much better in this game for some reason. Also, for those saying they can't tell who has armor, who has a gun or a knife or who has a shield: Detective Vision is your friend in battles. I forget about that too sometimes but it helps a lot, especially if you can survey the field first before leaping in to simply kick rear end.

When I see a group of enemies, I'll use detective vision to survey the threat, try to take down down the immediate dangers first, etc. Then I'll leave it on during the fight to know who who's a motherfucker/bad rear end and who's just a regular mook.

ImpAtom posted:

Stuff about Arkham Batman games and why us whiny bitches suck at them.

This is so true. I bet you destroy at these games.

You're right though. The issue most people seem to have is that they lock into a certain set of moves and gadgets or whatever, come to rely and depend on them and when those don't work or the timing of them gets hosed up, they never adjust. Muscle memory and all that. I've been guilty of it in all three games myself but, usually, if I take my time and vary my approach a little, mix it up a bit and re-think stuff from a new angle (in other words, be like Batman) I can get through whatever it is that's loving me up.

I haven't run into anything with Origins that's any different from that formula so far.

suboptimal posted:

So I think I've got a lovely bug- my objectives keep reading "Locate Black Mask" and "deactivate the jamming tower" at the radio station, but I can't seem to do so. I walk into the room, the Riddler says, "You shouldn't be in here, fly away, little bat" but there's nothing to interact with or prompts as to what to do. I got frustrated by this and somehow stumbled across the ship where Penguin is, beat Deathstroke, and then got the Lacey Towers mission. However, after a patch, there's no cues for Lacey Towers, and I'm still told to deactivate the jamming signal. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or do I have to restart the game due to a bad save or bug?

No. I think you're just looking in the wrong area. For a while, I remember my objective was "Find Black Mask" but my main mission marker led me to where I needed to go.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 13, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Re: the combat in Origins

I actually liked the Venom thugs, since they effectively work as two thugs in one. When they have venom on, they work exactly like armoured thugs but after you remove their venom backpack they are just regular enemies.

Armoured enemies are still dumb because they blend in too well sometimes with the rest of the group whereas they stood out in AC. Personally Detective Mode should not really be needed for combat but I feel like I've been needing to use it, but mostly I do that while jumping over heads.

If you want to really trivialize martial artists, just jump over them and follow up with a simple strike. They won't counter or cancel your move (this doesn't fail you out of your combo though, e.g. if you try to instant takedown a MA thug)

Is it just me or is the targeting system for quickfire batarangs a little funky? If I even bother aiming in the general direction of a armoured/shield thug surrounded by regular thugs, it will hit the former instead and fail me out of my combo. In this instance I really only throw one at a time even though you can get away with 3 in a single move before having to move on, but even then it still hits the wrong target and fails me out.

They should've put critical strikes at the end of the combat skill tree (i.e. where critical counters were) and move critical counters as a reward for Shiva's sidequest (since you happen to be fighting the poo poo out of martial artists or ninjas anyway). At that point they maybe should've squeezed the other moves like D&D after crits in the tree. I'm personally fine with it being a sidequest reward though.

Disarm and Destroy against enemies getting ready to throw an item is hilarious.

I feel like the camera is inconsistent, especially on Overflow where it's almost too high up and you can't see things like blades or other details as much to help ID threats.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Olaf The Stout posted:

This is an odd thing to say. In smaller battles, sure, you can lock down a shield, but when you have 20+ dudes and five or six pain-in-the-rear end weapons juggling around, it's pretty nice to just destroy them. Gun guys too, they're a lot less shy about ruining your combo than AC. D&D is just another tool in your kit, one of 17 different attacks, not to mention the variety of gadgets available. I use all the other moves too, but in Origins, far more than AC, any armed enemy can't really be ignored and if you try to fight around them they're going to destroy your combo.

And yes, D&D should work in concert with batclaw disarms and glue grenades as far as managing enemy inventory.

Also it has probably the most satisfying animations in the game.

I also tend to judge combat by the challenge rooms. Who cares if you can't D&D six thugs wondering the streets of Arkham. Extreme challenge rooms though are a whole different matter.

I think that you misunderstood what I said. I meant that you should only have to deal with each shield once per battle, and you have a pretty long list of options with which to deal with it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think they did a good job designing it but conversations in this thread make it very clear they needed to redesign the skill system as people were just getting Disarm and Disable and never using anything else ever. That kind of implies it is not a move that it should be available early in the game because it's making people never do anything but it and in turn causing them to have severe issues. They really did need to create a tree that puts super-powerful moves later on so people have reason to actually try different abilities out instead of getting one do-all move and then getting completely stuck when the combat system rewards anything else. (See how many people never use a glue grenade on Firefly or the Batclaw on Deathstroke.)

Fair enough on the idea of changing up the skill progression. D&D is very easy to rely on for tougher enemies and will not teach you good habits if you just focus on getting it, but I find it really weird a game about different ways to approach enemies wouldn't give you an idea to vary up your tactics. I just don't think the same way as people.

Also on the subject of Firefly and the glue grenades, I never actually knew you could use those on him and I had hints on and everything. I just threw batarangs at him and enjoyed the fight for being rather fast and intense. Although a weird thing did happen where at the end of the QTE to finish the fight, a glue grenade just blasts open and hits Firefly in the middle of scene then the actual cutscene pops up and he's got no glue on him. Also, I didn't know you could do that with Deathstroke either, I just sort of fought him one on one with no gadgets because I thought it was fun.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I just finished the Deadshot fight in I am the Night Mode. :unsmigghh:

Also, there is something really entertaining about this being the ultimate rear end in a top hat simulator. Four bums are just standing around a flaming garbage can when suddenly Batman swoops in out of nowhere, knocking two out instantly, and proceeds to beat the poo poo out of the other two. The last one just cowers and says, "I didn't do nothin'!" while waiting for the knockout blow. Sorry, buddy, the city declared a curfew so just by being out here you're doing somethin'. Maybe next time you'll reconsider standing outside having a conversation with your buddies now that Batman's around.

edit: Also, I get the feeling that a lot of the people breaking the curfew don't actually have anywhere to go. One dialogue in particular goes something like this:
Goon 1: My stomach is killing me!
Goon 2: Why didn't you cook your food? That kills all the germs.
Goon 1: Oh yeah, I'll just cook it on one of those street corner barbecues, or maybe on the stove in my big mansion!
And then, of course, Batman swoops in and beats the poo poo out of them. This is a game in which you play a billionaire flying around a city on Christmas Eve beating up homeless people for being homeless. Game of the year.

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 13, 2013

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Even with all the technical problems, I love the multiplayer on this.

I had a few matches yesterday, and people really need to sort their priorities. I was playing as a Joker crew and the Robin in the match - My god. His tactic was jump in front of people, deploy smoke, and loving charge at you like the world's worst ninja. Even then it got me a few times.

Eventually Bane made an appearance, and I was desperately running from him. Then I got tripped by Robin, who proceded to try and get a ground takedown on me. Then Bane snapped him.

Another time was on the funhouse level, and the door by the indoor point was read to let the villain in. The ledge above was being camped by Batman, though. I was stood there trying to shoot him down as a teammate got taken. I was still trying when I got killed by a rival gang, who then tried to knock the door, and got taken by Batman. It's almost as if I was shooting at the sky for a reason. :downs:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

THE CHORSE posted:

I just finished the Deadshot fight in I am the Night Mode. :unsmigghh:

Totally worth the 3 and a half hours, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just finished up Bane's side-mission in Arkham City (in a nice touch, there is unique dialogue if you encountered the Titan vats before you go and see Bane) and wow, I remembered him being pretty dim in Asylum and City but after Origins it is almost painful just how stupid he is. It's nice that Origins (late game spoiler) attempts to give an explanation by showing that Bane is reduced to using the prototype Titan formula to try and get the edge on Batman, and destroys his brain in the process but man I really hope if we see him in another game that he's more like Origins than Asylum or City.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 13, 2013

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
My favorite part about Bane in Arkham City is that he gets locked into an elevator with a flimsy iron gate. Like, really, Bane can't just rip that gate down? The dude is the size of a house.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RyokoTK posted:

My favorite part about Bane in Arkham City is that he gets locked into an elevator with a flimsy iron gate. Like, really, Bane can't just rip that gate down? The dude is the size of a house.

Guy grew up in a prison. He's got a thing about bars.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phylodox posted:

Guy grew up in a prison. He's got a thing about bars.

Originally read this as "He's got a thing about bras".

Dude's the size of a house. I'd imagine bras in his size are hard to come by.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

CzarChasm posted:

Originally read this as "He's got a thing about bras".

Dude's the size of a house. I'd imagine bras in his size are hard to come by.

Youve obviously never gone shopping in a Lane Bryant store.

I wouldnt mind seeing the next game incorporate more Robin/Nightwing into the mix. Id even be happy with the game if they based it off Batman Beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Here's something pretty interesting that someone on Reddit posted. It could point towards future DLC or some scrapped plans for the vanilla game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA58DFJQg4k

• Locked thread