Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Sophia posted:

Hello Couch Thread it has been awhile because I don't watch new TV anymore, just old TV and currently I'm running through Alphas again and getting EXTREMELY UPSET that it was not on my television this year. But regardless, what new fall shows should I be watching that I'm not?

Reign is incredible and right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sophia posted:

Okay I will check out Sleepy Hollow next and try to make it through the rest of Orphan Black after I got bored with it.

I got bored with Orphan Black too. It takes its time, willing to stall the plot a bit while it builds up its characters, and then around episode 6 it starts to tear poo poo up.

Also, drop by IRC when you start up Sleepy Hollow so we can see your reactions. Obviously getting ripped and running marathons takes precedence over parking yourself on the couch with a laptop, but we're all a bunch of creeps who selfishly want more of you in there, and thus I'm compelled to ask! :)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

No. And it sucks. Syfy really pushed two mediocre shows--Stargate Universe* and Caprica--on us. When people didn't watch them because they were, well, mediocre, they axed all non-canadian sci-fi shows. And no one else bothered with science fiction to start with.

*I actually really enjoyed SGU season 2, but I understand I'm in the minority there.

Orphan Black doesn't count as sci-fi?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Stick with Arrow for a bit if you're planning on watching it, the first season starts kind of slow (to me at least) but then starts picking up the pace and hasn't slowed down yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Reign is incredible and right up your alley.

Legit incredible or CW Incredible.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

zoux posted:

It's legit incredible but often for campy and hilarious reasons; it's also not taking itself terribly seriously.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

lelandjs posted:

No. And it sucks. Syfy really pushed two mediocre shows--Stargate Universe* and Caprica--on us. When people didn't watch them because they were, well, mediocre, they axed all non-canadian sci-fi shows. And no one else bothered with science fiction to start with.

*I actually really enjoyed SGU season 2, but I understand I'm in the minority there.

Still pissed they canceled Flashforward. I was getting hooked on that show :<

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The CW's current crop of genre shows are pretty solid if that's what you're into. I'm really enjoying the Originals if TVD is up your alley. I really need to get into that Sleepy Hollow thing at some point though...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I haven't watched the show but I did read an article about how they had to cut a female masturbation scene.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Brooklyn Nine Nine is so good, guys. It's filling that Better Off Ted-shaped hole in my heart.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sophia posted:

Okay I will check out Sleepy Hollow next and try to make it through the rest of Orphan Black after I got bored with it. Arrow is on my "to catch up on" list already!

ALPHAS. It had two 13 episode seasons on SyFy.

If you haven't watched the PLL Halloween episode yet, then we are no longer AFC South bros.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I feel the need to let this out. I unironically love Mindy Project. It's really light and fun, especially with a main character who isn't thin, but wants to be thin romantic comedy protag #1325. Plus, it's really fun to listen to a 30+ woman who can't get over the fact that she isn't a 20 year old sorority girl. (None of this was facetious by the way)

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Lost Girl season 4 started in Canada. The episode teaser on the website is something special.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Brooklyn Nine Nine is so good, guys. It's filling that Better Off Ted-shaped hole in my heart.

Don't you dare say that, it'll die as quick a death as that show did.

It's going to die as quick a death as that show did, isn't it. :(

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

THF13 posted:

Lost Girl season 4 started in Canada. The episode teaser on the website is something special.

Ugh, the US apparently still isn't getting it until 2014. It's really annoying when you pull this poo poo, SyFy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

This loving Dads poo poo is still on?

edit: gently caress me, this show is what makes it so hard for me to watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Like, I don't want to turn the TV on until New Girl, because I'm afraid I'll accidentally end up watching some of Dads.
Dads was renewed.

Yeah.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp, the stupid Genoa plot from The Newsroom just happened IRL with 60 Minutes: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/business/media/60-minutes-airs-apology-on-benghazi.html

"We discovered the account he gave the FBI was different than the one he gave to us."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

muscles like this? posted:

I haven't watched the show but I did read an article about how they had to cut a female masturbation scene.

This article?

It wasn't cut entirely, there's just enough left to know what she's doing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman posted:

Dads was renewed.

Yeah.

No it wasn't. It was just given a full season.

Josh Lyman posted:

Welp, the stupid Genoa plot from The Newsroom just happened IRL with 60 Minutes: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/business/media/60-minutes-airs-apology-on-benghazi.html

"We discovered the account he gave the FBI was different than the one he gave to us."

I'm not sure if you know this, but that was already based on something that did actually happen to CNN years ago. It just so happens that it also happened again with CBS now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

No it wasn't. It was just given a full season.
Yeah well... That's like getting renewed for the spring. :colbert:

quote:

I'm not sure if you know this, but that was already based on something that did actually happen to CNN years ago. It just so happens that it also happened again with CBS now.
I don't think most people remember the CNN thing. I don't and had to read up on it after Sorkin's interview on The Daily Show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

We're recommending shows? loving Hannibal. Done. See you in 13 hours.

EDIT: And for gods sake, tell me that Terry Crews is being considered for Luke Cage. That's the only bit of casting I'm interested with this Marvel crap.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 13, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

We're recommending shows? loving Hannibal. Done. See you in 13 hours.

If it's for Sophia? She's tried Hannibal. Not her bag.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sophia posted:

Hello Couch Thread it has been awhile because I don't watch new TV anymore, just old TV and currently I'm running through Alphas again and getting EXTREMELY UPSET that it was not on my television this year. But regardless, what new fall shows should I be watching that I'm not?
Since I haven't seen anyone mention them:

Sleepy Hollow
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Orphan Black

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Agents of Shield is getting pretty drat fun, you guys.

Slamhound posted:

Since I haven't seen anyone mention them:

Sleepy Hollow
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Orphan Black

I really hope this is a joke cause if not you have dire reading comprehension.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Postal Parcel posted:

I feel the need to let this out. I unironically love Mindy Project. It's really light and fun, especially with a main character who isn't thin, but wants to be thin romantic comedy protag #1325. Plus, it's really fun to listen to a 30+ woman who can't get over the fact that she isn't a 20 year old sorority girl. (None of this was facetious by the way)

I think Parenthood and The Good Wife are my favorite dramas. I'd take them over anything on HBO or Showtime right now.

And Elementary is really fun and way better than Sherlock.

e: Agents of SHIELD is trash

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

e: Agents of SHIELD is trash

You aren't watching it if you're saying that.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rarity posted:

You might have dire joke comprehension.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey if you're not watching person of interest you should really start because...well...goddamn

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sophia: Masters of Sex. That's all. It's by far the best new drama of the season, as fun as Sleepy Hollow is (you should watch that too tho)

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Occupation posted:

Hey if you're not watching person of interest you should really start because...well...goddamn

Are you watching Sleepy Hollow?

also please bump the ratings thread i'm not triple posting to bump that from page 5

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Occupation posted:

I think I'm on S1E16 or something at this point. Slowly making my way through!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Josh Lyman posted:

I think I'm on S1E16 or something at this point. Slowly making my way through!

You're in for a treat once you get caught up on where the season is now. Well, I mean, I actually enjoyed PoI all the way through. Still though, the quality's steadily increased over the course of its run.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The overall plot really picks up as well I think. Season one just kind of drops suggestions here and there until the finale, but season 2 and season 3 especially really put it front and center a lot more. It also helps that the plot goes to some really neat places and does some legitimately cool things with the machine and what its deal is.

Also if you need even more reasons to get caught up, Amy Acker starts being a bigger part of the show and she is absolutely fantastic.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Are you watching Sleepy Hollow?

also please bump the ratings thread i'm not triple posting to bump that from page 5

Maybe ratings chat should just move into here rather than be a separate thread then? It would bring more traffic/discussion to both and stop content from being spread to thin (we already talk about ratings here anyway).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At what point did the people who go mad over PoI start to feel like that? I'm 6 or 7 episodes in they witness episode and it's enjoyable enough, but nothing mind blowing. It still has that 'network' feel of ensuring people can jump in at anytime which grates and not enough arc compared to crime of the week. Scandal dealt with that by about this point so I'm hoping PoI does it too, because at the moment watching another 16 episodes or so just to finish a season feels like it might be a slog without much payoff.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

EL BROMANCE posted:

At what point did the people who go mad over PoI start to feel like that? I'm 6 or 7 episodes in they witness episode and it's enjoyable enough, but nothing mind blowing. It still has that 'network' feel of ensuring people can jump in at anytime which grates and not enough arc compared to crime of the week. Scandal dealt with that by about this point so I'm hoping PoI does it too, because at the moment watching another 16 episodes or so just to finish a season feels like it might be a slog without much payoff.

You're always going to feel that, it never looses that episodic nature, people oversell how good of a show it is.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I dunno. I feel like I'm a bit of an anomaly here because I never really found the show to be a slog even from the beginning, though I admit it was definitely a lot more procedural at the outset, and I was also half-bracing for it to slide into some unpalatable post-9/11 surveillance apologia at first (it thankfully doesn't do this). I liked Caviezel's and Emmerson's performances, so that helped, but I never really had a "turning point."

Person of Interest isn't like Sleepy Hollow where it throws a bunch of (crazy awesome) stuff at the viewer at once, but the writers are very adapt at both A). making use of the new things they add over time to good effect and B). not dragging story arcs and plot threads out to an interminable degree. For the sort of show it is it has an almost stately pace at times, it's not as packed full of gonzo craziness per minute as Sleepy Hollow, but it definitely improves upon itself as it goes on.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Rarity posted:

Agents of Shield started out horribly, but over the past 2-3 episodes I have really started to enjoy it. I'd recommend it.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

xeria posted:

If you haven't watched the PLL Halloween episode yet, then we are no longer AFC South bros.

I am watching it right now just for you then! I think I'm not going to watch Ravenswood though unless it's a lot better than it looks from all of this buildup.

Masters of Sex = I don't have premium channels right now so I can't watch (NFL Sunday Ticket took precedence!)
Hannibal = no thank you
PoI = until they invent a way to catch up online without spending more money I cannot watch this show
Reign = YES OH MY GOD I FORGOT ABOUT THIS SHOW

Okay so Reign, Sleepy Hollow, Brooklyn 99, plus catching up on Arrow, Scandal, New Girl and Parks and Rec, not to mention the shows I never finished from last year like Bates Motel, Psych, Nikita and Revenge. That's a full enough slate. There is too much TV on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

because at the moment watching another 16 episodes or so just to finish a season feels like it might be a slog without much payoff.

The first season of PoI is pretty bad. I started with the second season, went back to watch the first and was only able to get through six episodes before giving up. Do yourself a favor and just skip the first season. You won't miss a thing.

• Locked thread