Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's hard to really see them, but you can get a good look at Vascillia during the last section of ZoE2, and, like you said, the cities look more like giant bubbles than any kind of nest, especially since they're kinda distant from each other. I couldn't find a video without much spoilers but you can try and catch a glimpse of them here if you pause at the right moment.

I'm surprised at how much of Mars is actually named in real life, and how the game uses those names for its mythos. Pretty neat details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Chapter Twenty One: A Faint Light From the Depths

Music: Intermission

It’s that time again…

I upgrade the Calibur’s Health and Shell, then spend some money upgrading its damage output with what I have left.

With that done, let’s get going.

Music: Danger

:…armaments should be around here somewhere. This one’s for Deckson! I want you to get out there and do what you need to do!

: There's nothing on the monitors.

: Stealth, huh. We don't have time for this right now.....

: At first glance, it does not look as if there is anything there; in actuality, there is a very large field of energy. I assume that this entire area is hiding the OF in question. Somewhere within this region is the person who possesses the control device.

: But it's too dangerous to just fly in there. We don't have much time, but we still gotta be careful.

: Although we can't see anything, the sensors have detected an increase in energy levels in the area. That OF must be charging energy to fire... There is no doubt that the caliber of this next explosion will be far more powerful than the one that wiped out the entire LEV troop!

: The numbers don't look good...Razma, which would you wager on? Can we stop them, or is it impossible?

: Of course we can stop them!! Boss would have said the same, and if we don't stop them, we won't be able to save Myona! Right, Cage?

: Yeah, of course!

: Y'alls need to be a little more serious about this stuff! You mess up and we all go down!

: What, that's what you're worried about? I don't want to die either, but it's already clear what we have to do. There's nothing to fear any longer.

:…determination.

: Deckson never told us that we had to win. I think that maybe what was most important to him was that each and every one of us strives to achieve what we truly believe in.

: He always used to say, 'Life has many choices, but no answers...' We make up our own answers. That's how we go on living.

:…we came up with this time is to stop them.

: That's our answer...! Okay! Let's get this show on the road, then!

: (Boss...I really miss having you around...But I'll do my best, you watch!)

This should read, ‘A Faint Light From the Depths’.

Music: Galactica

: Well, that's for us to expose, to make visible. Is it not?

:...I suppose so. Shall we go ahead and show them what we're made of...

: The 3 hour time limit made by Ares has not fulfilled its term, but judging from the rate of increase in the ambient energy levels, my calculations show that they will be ready to fire in approximately 15 minutes.

: At any rate, what we're doing is finding them out here, right?

: Yes. We must destroy them all! Come on!

: It's dangerous. You shouldn't be out in front.

: It doesn't work that way, Cage. Deckson gave up his life for the people of Mars...I can't be the only one hiding for safety!

Before Cage can argue further Ned appears.

: Ned! You again!

: That's my line! Always appearing before me to ruin my game! Heh heh! But Deckson finally went down, eh? What a moron! He threw away his one and only life for those people who live on this planet!?

:...Well, I wouldn't expect you to begin to understand what it was that he felt he needed to protect.

: Stop while you're still ahead...We're trying to keep our cool, but inside we're just about ready to go off!

: The control device for the stealth in the area is installed in that frame...Sorry, but I can't let Myona be subjected to that process again! But before I find her and stop it from happening...I'll have to break your brand-new frame into little bits!

: Hey, go for it! Heh, heh! Come on, give it your best shot!

:...Once we destroy Ned's frame, we should be able to locate the OF. After that, we'll render it ineffective thereby preventing the attack on West Hellas...! But don't forget, there are invisible enemies out here. Proceed with caution!

: OK!

The game gives us control here.

Player Phase Music: Counterattack
Enemy Phase Music: Impact

Mission Map:

Yep, more invisible enemies. Fortunately they’re not the only things this map has to offer; defeating Ned is merely our first objective.

Moving up here causes the first batch of invisible enemies to decloak.

: There they are! Come on, Pharsti!

: Roger that, I am ready!

Honestly, these guys are pushovers. The pilots are six or seven levels below our own and the units they’re riding are the Security LEV Alpha’s we fought back near the start of the game.

This cluttered and broken cityscape is going to bog us down.

His fellows move east to support him but none of them get in close enough to attack. Ned simply waits in place for us to come to him.

These weaklings have no business being here, so let’s get rid of a few.

I honestly have no idea why these fragile things are getting thrown at us. Maybe we destroyed all of their good LEVs?

A game that actually reflects your continued victories against the opposition in that way would be pretty cool. You crush the enemy’s best troops / bits of tech and after that you just face mass-produced stuff with a few elites here and there.

I move Mebius up and then it’s time for the two remaining enemies to flail around for a bit.

The other enemy also attacks Nadia, missing once again.

It is nice of them to walk into range of most of my heavy-hitters, though.

The speedbumps are almost through, just one more left.

Okay, that’s the last of the fodder dealt with.

Unfortunately the next set of ambushers consists of four Raptors.

And Raptors can do nasty things to our units.

They’re less dangerous when we have a functional repair unit on the map, but over 1,000 HP of damage potential is serious business.

Okay, dealing with four Raptors at once is going to be a pain particularly since they’ll probably all attack the same target, so a bit of repositioning is in order.

Like so. Now none of the Raptors are in range and will be open to a withering barrage of fire once they try to close the distance.

Yep, just as planned. :smug:

Destroy the most distant enemy first to encircle the others…

Next goes the lead enemy…

Just one left, but I don’t think I have enough firepower left to take him out completely.

Well that’s irritating.

Still, Semyl can take the damage so it’s not too bad.

Problem solved. Now it’s time for Ned. He’s still not moving, so I take the opportunity to heal up and get into position.

Sadly Ned’s attack range means only Nadia and Cage can attack him immediately.

Unfortunately, as soon as we attack him…

He gains 5 Spirit and summons more Raptors to help him.

Fortunately, Cage has killed enough enemies to unlock his Burst Attacks and is free to go to town on Ned.

Of course, Ned is still deadly. In fact, he’s the deadliest enemy we’ve faced so far because his attacks do so much damage. First of all is his basic melee attack, Stinger.

It can do upwards of 1,900 damage in one hit, which is terrifying. He also has a ranged attack, Sleeve Shot.

Sleeve Shot isn’t much to worry about; it does around 1,600 damage but you’ll almost never see it because Ned prefers melee attacks. No, the real danger is his Burst Attack, Hell Rave, which just got unlocked since he gained 5 Spirit.

Hell Rave is absurdly lethal. It can do over 2,600 damage and Ned will spam it for as long as he has the EN to use it.

...Yeah, you want to take Ned out fast.

Oh, yeah, and the Raptors too. Thankfully only two are within attack range this turn.

More Raptors will appear when Ned dies, so if you’re feeling lucky you can try and take them out before then so you have less to deal with later.

I feel lucky today.

The upside of all this is that everyone is gaining Spirit like nobody’s business.

Well, that’s all we can do for now. My money’s on Ned attacking Semyl next turn.

Yyyyyyep.

That was hairy. But of course, we’re not done yet…

That’s good. If both hits had landed Semyl would have died, but now we can take out both the Raptor and Ned on our turn.

Now that that’s over with it’s time for Ned. Hmm…Robin could do with a level or two…

Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about. :getin:

: Sorry, that won’t work – I don’t legally exist on Mars.

Best line in the game right there.

: The stealth operating system on the enemy machine is losing power. The field will be eradicated shortly.

: Rrrghh!! Shush! Don't you use that tone of voice with me!!! I'll get you for thisssssss!!!

Ned leaves.

: The stealth field has been eradicated. The enemy frame in hiding should appear.

Myona’s Orbital Frame appears.

: That's...Myona! Myonaaaaa! Can you hear me?

:...

: You can, can't you? Please, say something - anything!

Music: Uncontrollable Fear

:…boyfriend has to say!

: Amante! What did you...Why!?

: What do you think? The prototype OF Nerokerubina, and the massive canon Marlblanke...complete with Zephyrs' Mindflow system. It's not just another OF with a big bullet shooter, you know.

: (Nobody needs to know that it's an old model with a few new additions...)

: Your little girlfriend has already gone through the full compatibility program, so at this point she's nothing more than a single component of the Marlblanke!

: Hmmmmm? It's always someone else's fault, isn't it Cage? You know who drove her to this point...? The answer is: Y-O-U. Cage, you did it to her.

:...That's a lie...

: Brother and Sister, who have nobody else in this entire world. Sister understands how Brother feels, though he has gone to extremes and is involved in criminal acts...'If I can't stop him, I must at least continue to suffer for all the sins...This is the least I can do...' Isn't the love between siblings so beautiful? It just makes me want to cry…

:...Because it's so hilarious.

:…things continue this way, we will be blown away before all of West Hellas!

: No...Myona wanted this?

: Can you not say 'base of the reactor?' It has a cool name, you know. 'Marlblanke!'

: No! I refuse to believe that! Myona, wait there...I'm going to rescue you...! Okay. First I have to destroy that reactor thingie...

: It's totally useless. Ares calls it 'hyperalignment', but her brain and the Metatron computer on the OF are completely linked by the Communicator. By doing that, it's possible to reach unimaginably high levels of effectiveness, and that's what's called the Marlblanke Effect. The collaboration of those two things makes it really strong, and it transcends even physics. The shield becomes super strong. For instance...

:...see?

: S-stop it! Please stop that!

: Hee, hee! Aww...You're so cute. That's such a turn-on...Okay, maybe I'll just give you a little hint because you're so cute. Do you want to know how to cut off the link between them?

: It's actually really easy. *Giggle* All you have to do is get rid of the central control unit.

: The central control...? Is that...You mean...!

: Exactamundo! All you have to do is destroy the cockpit on this frame! See, wasn't that simple? Will the hero save the futures of thousands of people...Or his girlfriend's life? Heh heh...Have fun deciding! But I'm supposed to be defending us too, so if you take too long, I might just kill you.

: (Er...I have to do something...If I give up now, Deckson would never forgive me!)

Music: Sudden Assault

We regain control after Amante offers us a sadistic choice. Amante, Myona and three Raptors are our new enemies, and though we’ve seen Myona’s Frame in a cutscene this is the first time we can get a good look at it in-game.

Holy poo poo, look at that HP! And that Shell! And that EN! This thing is some kind of monster! A…a kind of familiar-looking monster…

Hey…wait just one minute…

Son of a bitch! :stare:

So here we have another example of Mech-cribbing, though in this case at least Amante admits to herself that it’s a rehash. Just as how Zephyrs’ HarutMarut is a Tempest with the serial numbers filed off, Myona’s nigh-unpronounceable Nerokerubina is just a reskinned Tyrant, an annoying boss from the first game that would smash you flat unless you had a specific subweapon equipped. In this case the advanced targeting system has been swapped out to make room for the Marleblank canon, so we don’t have to worry about an instant Game Over.

All that aside, Amante and the Raptors will bum-rush us when their turn rolls around so it’s a good idea to let them come to you.

Like so.

We can afford to take our time here since the only goal is to attack the Nerokerubina with any of our units, plus I’d like to feed Cage another kill to show off his final Burst Attack.

It helps that only Cage is in range this turn.

Plus dragging things out reminds me that I never showed off Razma’s special attack, which is impressive since it’s been more than six missions since he got it.

It does about the same damage as all the other LEV’s special attacks.

And Cage gets the 20 Spirit he needs. Fantastic. End turn!

Amante misses and leaves herself wide open.

Okay, now let’s see what Cage’s new attack can do…

Well that sure is a thing. A 5,000+ damage thing.

: No wayyyy! They got us again?! Awww! I hate it when that happens! Oh, but it’s more fun with just that one anyway. *Giggle* I’m going to go and see what happens…

Amante runs off after being pummelled by the fist of God, leaving behind only a single Raptor to guard Myona.

Things do not go well for it. All that’s left to do now is to engage Myona, but we get a special scene if we get to turn 15.

: Hunh? Of course. What is it?

: Am I…useful to you, Cage? Have I been…at all helpful to you?

: What?

As far as I’m aware this is another choice that doesn’t really affect anything. At first glance you might think that the first choice will yield the most positive result, but it’s actually a trick. The second option is the best one, both in terms of conversation and because Cage pulls the derpiest face ever in it.

: I never really thought about it that way…

: I see…

:downs:

: Is that true?

: Why would I lie? What’s the matter? It’s so unlike you to talk like this.

: I am very relieved to hear that…Yes, I do not feel like myself today…Perhaps this is what humans would call ‘anxiety’.

: What was that, Pharsti? I couldn’t hear you.

If you’re curious, choosing the first option just truncates the conversation up to where Pharsti says ‘I am very relieved to hear that.’ The third option has Cage blow Pharsti off completely so I’m not going to choose it because I’m pathetic and don’t like hurting the feelings of imaginary video game characters.

We’re nearly there now. It’s worth mentioning that Myona will attack anyone in her range, though she won’t move from her position.

Her attacks also hurt if they hit. Thankfully her accuracy is pretty bad.

Okay, let’s finish this…

: Cage?!

: If I get to the reactor, I can stop it…

: It is too dangerous!

: Don’t worry! Trust me!

:…I trust you.

Like the HarutMarut the Nerokerubina has three giant weak points that can be targeted for critical hits.

As Amante explained, however, nothing we do can actually hurt it to any significant degree. All attacks will be reduced to 250 damage regardless of their apparent strength.

: The enemy’s shield is preventing us from making any effective attack. Cage…the only way is to attack the cockpit. If you would give me the command, I will…

: No! There is another way! There has to be! There’s gotta be…

:…

: Destroyed!

: Myona! Can’t you tell? We’re on the same side, now stop it!

:…

Testament moves next to Myona!

:…Cage, I am attacking the cockpit now!

: No! I won't allow it!

:...Cage, I myself am a part of her so... I understand...

: Pharsti...You...

: I would rather do this to myself...than let you see me like this...and hurt everybody...

: Cage...I am sorry. There is no other way...It's too late...You, and the whole city, are going to be burned down!

But then, just before Pharsti attacks…

: That sounds like....

: Phil? Is that you, Phil?

: We don't have time to chat, I got it...It's not just you! If you attack, both the frame and Myona will go down too...It can't take much more!!

: Wh! What?!

:…Myona... I'll help you out!

: (That's right...Phil was good with computers...Maybe he will be able to do something!)

: Great! I was able to purge the energy flow system! It's useless now!

: Miss Myona's OF is demonstrating a rapid energy decrease! It worked! The energy burst cannot be performed!

: Phil!! You did it!!!

: Myona! Come with me! Come on!!

: Myona...!

: When Mr. Phil intervened in the activity of Miss Myona's OF, it upset the balance of the alignment. We may be able to help Miss Myona regain her sanity, if we work quickly!

: Really?!

Finally, things are looking up!

…Uh oh…

: Somebody needs to discipline him....

: Ugghhhh! M-Myona...!

: Phil!

: Hee, hee...Bye!

: Cage...take care of Myona...

: (...Deckson...I'm sorry. Father...Everybody...I'll be with all of you...soon...)

: Phillllll!!!

: (Was that...?) Ca... ge? Cage, is that you?

: M-Myona!? Is it really you?

: (Aww! Bo - ring!! Ah well. It happens. She can go and have a little talk to Mr. Silly for a little while. But if they don't hurry, she's going to turn back into her old self...Heh, heh, heh....)

: Cage...Don't come here...If you do...they'll get you...Uuuugggghhhhhhhhgg!

: Myona!

: Eeeeeeeek!

: Myonaaaaaa!

: Time's up!

: C...a...ge....

Amante's communicator rings.

:…jiffy! Nero's broken...What should I do? OK, so I'll just retrieve Myona and the device.

The communication ends.

Amante retrieves Myona from the cockpit and begins to retreat.

: Gotcha!!

: So long, everyone!!

Amante leaves, taking Myona with her.

: Cage! The OF that Miss Myona was on is about to self-destruct! Everybody, please retreat!

:...OK!

BIS retreat just as the Nerokerubina explodes.

Music: Every Day

:…’Marleblank’, has been destroyed. Our goal has been met.

: All right!

: Heh...We did it, Boss!

: Phil...came back to help us out in the end...We couldn't have done it without everyone.

:...Yeah.

: Hey. We succeeded in stopping Ares and his group...We did suffer some major losses, but we were also able to save countless valuable human lives! Everyone did a great job, and...I'm sure that Deckson would have been proud.

: (Phil...It was my fault that I wasn't able to understand what you were going through...If things had gone a little differently for me, I would have been in the same spot...I'm so sorry...Thank you Phil...)

: I don't think that Phil betrayed us...He was just desperate. Other people probably think he's an idiot, but he put his own life on the line, looking for his ideal - somebody who would always love him for who he was.

: First Boss, now Phil.... Man. This is real sad.

: Yes...It is very tragic.

: We have to remember them always. It won't do anything, and it may have no meaning...but it's all we can do, as the people who knew them.

:…will grow disgruntled and leave his team when they see that they cannot succeed.

: Is something wrong?

:...No. (Their actions are so unthinkable...I hope I am just being overly cautious, but I am worried....)

: Let us go back at once.

: Yes, please do that.

The Saoshyant lifts off as the scene ends.

: Thank you, Pharsti. Without you, we wouldn't have been able to stop Ares, and save all those innocent people.

: Not at all...You are welcome.

: At this point in time, technically speaking, we are not the same entity. I may be more similar to her offspring or perhaps a clone.

: So 'Myona' is still alive inside her?

: Do you want to meet 'Myona' again?

: Yes.

:…to fade.

: O-Oh...

:...That is due to the fact that the Metatron device implanted in her body was rearranged when a part of her was given to me. If both of us continue to exist simultaneously, eventually 'Myona' will be erased from existence.

:…Myona again?

: There's something...There's something I need to tell her. If I still have a chance...I want to see her again!

: I understand. I will help.

: Really...? But it may place you in danger.

: Cage...if that is what you desire…

Well that was a bittersweet mission. The Frame mounting the huge canon was destroyed, but Myona is still in BAHRAM’s hands and BIS are no closer to retrieving her. Phil also died, and though he was a terrible pilot and a bit creepy it’s still sad that another founding member of BIS has been killed off in such a short period of time. Even so, BIS’s position is much better than it was a mission or two ago and we clearly have the power to send BAHRAM’s units packing. Perhaps the future isn’t so dark after all…

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

An enemy boss with nutty amounts of HP and defense? NOW this is a proper Super Robot Wars clone.
I love how Amante admits that their awesome new OF is just an improved knock-off.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

An enemy boss with nutty amounts of HP and defense? NOW this is a proper Super Robot Wars clone.
I love how Amante admits that their awesome new OF is just an improved knock-off.

Debateable whether or not it's improved, slower, less accurate and vulnerable to a Deus Ex Machina by /PHIL/ of all characters.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Oh wow I have fond memories of this game. Despite playing through it 3 or 4 times as a kid I can't remember much about the plot other than an apocalyptic tone as more and more egomaniacal villains decide to wreak everything with their new prototype death machines. Ultimately it wasn't that great of a game, the IAS system was a cool idea but ended up being a crutch to cover up really bare-bones strategy/tactics mechanics. I'm still not even sure if its actually possible to beat with the system disabled.

That said, it was a pretty great game for the time. While now the GBA is fondly remembered for having an incredible game library, I had saved up and bought one on release date, and in the early days its library was pretty bad. For a while after release the notable games on the system were a port of Mario 2, a mode-7 F-Zero, Super Dodge-ball and Castlevania. While fun for wasting 10 minutes here and there, only Castlevania was anything close to a system seller and could compete with GB/C classics like Donkey Kong, Link's Awakening, Pokemon, or Mario Land. ZOE:FoM and Advance Wars were really the first titles on the system I can remember sinking hours on end into. I was also an angsty teenager when it came out, so the anime drama was pretty compelling. I still have it ~complete in box~, though I can't take any pics of it specifically since I'm nowhere near it due to school.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I'm still not even sure if its actually possible to beat with the system disabled.

It is. I've done it myself, though I have to warn you, it becomes an INCREDIBLE chore after a while, when you get those fights that take an insanely long time to finish. In fact, I'm surprised Scintilla hasn't highlighted this yet, but there are literally times in, say, the final fight, where it can literally take TWO TO THREE MINUTES, even WITH the animations and everything off, just for the enemies to get through a single turn!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Not using IAS is an extreme chore. As Fionordequester said, it makes turns extremely slow because you'll be missing very often, particularly when stronger enemies like the Raptors show up. Enemies will be hitting more often as well, which puts far more emphasis on the Blade/Calibur's repair abilities. God help you if it dies. Battles can drag on so long you start running out of ammunition and energy, which is crippling. Oh, and bosses like Ned and Amante will tear you to shreds unless you play it very carefully. Disabling IAS means you pretty much have to play defensively, and that makes missions with a time limit extremely difficult to complete.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Scintilla posted:

Not using IAS is an extreme chore. As Fionordequester said, it makes turns extremely slow because you'll be missing very often, particularly when stronger enemies like the Raptors show up. Enemies will be hitting more often as well, which puts far more emphasis on the Blade/Calibur's repair abilities. God help you if it dies. Battles can drag on so long you start running out of ammunition and energy, which is crippling. Oh, and bosses like Ned and Amante will tear you to shreds unless you play it very carefully. Disabling IAS means you pretty much have to play defensively, and that makes missions with a time limit extremely difficult to complete.

I've done it before, it requires knowing the battle map you're on cold and making sure you upgrade Blade/Calibur to the max before anything else and buying as many energy/ammo packs as you can. The enemies tend to follow set patterns that are predictable, so taking advantage of that isn't all that hard. The problem is that you'll always be underleveled compared to the enemies and without IAS you don't get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making attacks that are less than 50% or defending against enemies that might have the same. In a disabled IAS game, your Luck and Evade stat becomes super important and there's no real way to boost Luck. And yes, the final battle takes FOREVER to finish, even with IAS.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

quote:

and buying as many energy/ammo packs as you can.

Wait, you can do that? Shoot, wish I had known...as for me, I don't know if what I did was faster, but generally I would just figure out ways to skip all the enemies and blitz the boss, and then occasionally grind in a map with a readily accessible boss character, like when Ned literally starts off right next to you (I was under the impression that bosses gave boosted experience).

Oh yes, and I would just slide the Accuracy/Power and Defense/Evasion meter all the way to the right since APPARENTLY no one play tested that particular aspect, and just had every notch of Power n' Defense change the damage done by...50 points. Because that's important, right? Meanwhile, Evasion and Accuracy increase by something like, 5%, making them WAY more worth it...

As for the Caliburnus/Edge, I never needed to upgrade that because of how I played...but that actually may have been slower, since enemies take so long to make a move.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It's possible but very difficult and tedious. You have to work to really micro your units, such as taking advantage of terrain and making sure you milk as much experience off enemies through weaker attacks. Ammunition management is also very important. However, Semyl is even more of a deadweight with the IAS off.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's clear that the developers intended for you to use the IAS and didn't put much thought into what would happen if you skipped it and just went with the Hit percentages. I think IAS is an interesting mechanic but using it pushes the game a bit too far in the other direction and makes it pretty easy. I mean I've been trying to avoid cheap circular and figure-eight crosshair movements but it's still very simple to avoid enemy fire. It's even worse when it comes to shooting an enemy since the game gives you way too much leeway with what is and what is not considered to be inside the targeting zone.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Scintilla posted:

It's even worse when it comes to shooting an enemy since the game gives you way too much leeway with what is and what is not considered to be inside the targeting zone.

Even for weak points if the cursor just touches it, it registers as a critical hit (at least for me it did).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Whose idea was it to save Cage, anyhow? I can see why Ares wanted to get Myona off the ship.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Glazius posted:

Whose idea was it to save Cage, anyhow? I can see why Ares wanted to get Myona off the ship.

It's going to be addressed in the future.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Chapter Twenty Two: Heaven-Bound Wings

Music: Intermission

We’re approaching the end of the game, so let’s spend some of the money that’s been building up.

I splurge on a Shell upgrade for the Calibur before boosting the Dreizehn’s Grenade, Calamity Kiss and Bouquet attacks. Now that that’s over with, let’s get back to the story.

: Cage, get over here!

: What is it? Why are you so flustered?

Music: Danger

: What?! Ok, I'll be right there!

:…wrong. I pray that the fires that burn West Hellas will not cause all of Mars to go up in flames.

: The OF with the high energy beam was already destroyed! What is this about?

: People of Mars. This is a choice that is entirely up to you. Those who represent you have become nothing but selfish cowards. The future is in your hands. I do not act for the government. I act only for those who care about Mars. I will say it again: people of Mars. This is a choice that is entirely up to you!

The screen is suddenly obscured by a huge flash!

: Hunh!? What IS that?

A shockwave rocks the Saoshyant.

:...In the sky...A beam of light...

: That's not possible! That frame exploded! (...How can...!)

: I guess they had more than one...

:...Even you peacefully oblivious people should have realized by now that this is really happening. Time is running short. I look forward to a positive response. Good day...and Freedom to Mars.

Music: Tragedy

: The one that they used with the stealth was just a sample...This is the real thing.

: That beam of light was likely a high-density projection in which the radius of the beam was pressurized to be as minute as physics would allow. If its ability to attack targets in high orbit is proven then the UCM will want it now.

: Proven...This is all part of the plan. But it couldn't destroy a ship in high orbit...Could it?

: This time 'accuracy' was demonstrated – by obliterating a surveillance satellite.

: They shot one satellite from the ground? Precise aiming capability too, eh. That machine is just insane.

: Certainly. It is at the oxygen plant on the Hellas Sea.

:...I gotta ask. How is it that you always got the 411 before anyone else?

: Magician's Rule #1: Never reveal your trade secrets.

: Hunh??

: Never mind that, the Earthlings are going to start acting soon. Do you think the UNSF will begin attacking the plant?

: The chances of that are...low.

: They would surely avoid running the risk of damaging the oxygen plant, although I do not imagine that it would be out of concern for the well-being of the Martians. I would think that they would attack first, then attempt to control the situation. That also gives them a reason to send in a large military body.

: I'm sure those over in West Hellas are busy trying to escape themselves, rather than working on trying to stop them.

: If they could get away in time, that's fine...But I don't think all of them are going to make it.

: (Is it just me...or is their strategy too overt? Why would they advertise what they are going to do? It could be a threat...Or perhaps Ares is just getting over excited...?)

: We're going to stop them, aren't we? There isn't enough time.

: This used to be a cargo ship. There won't be any problem zipping over that short distance.

: *Giggle* You have no faith in me! I knew this would happen sooner or later, so I made sure to add some extra features to this ship.

: Speeding across Mars...It's real dangerous, but I knew Robin would be prepared!

: What, no 'Ms.?' I like that, Semyl. That's the way it should be.

: Still, it is virtually an antique and such action would consume all its energy - there is no denying that the plan is risky. Even if we did arrive at the desired location, it would not be able to move for at least a while.

Translation: We have to babysit a stationary object next for most of the next mission.

: A one-way ticket to the final showdown. It's not much of a dilemma.

: Hey, hey. We're not going there just to die, you know? Deckson's already gone, and if you go too, who's gonna look after all these guys?

:...Heh. I am not going to die. Deckson, Phil...That's more than enough. Nobody else is going to die.

Warren said it, so you know it’s true. :kamina:

: But Pops, keep your eye on Mebius, will you.

: Whah...!

: How long have we known each other? You didn't think I wouldn't notice.

:...I don't expect anything to happen between us. I trust her as a colleague, and I am concerned for her safety. That's all.

Yeah, Warren has a thing for Mebius. The writers clearly wanted to tie everyone into neat pairs before the end of the game.

:...Yeah.

: What are you two whispering about?

: You see, Cage, in this world there are things we will never understand, like forbidden love. We should support them in their choices.

Of course, Razma immediately turns it into a joke.

: W-w-w-w-wait! No! It's not like...Yukito! You tell them!

: Razma, behave yourself. I've been keeping it a secret all this time...I'm so embarrassed...Am I blushing?

And Yukito naturally plays along.

: Y-yes!!

: Come with me...We are going to have a little pre-battle warm-up session. You rely on your guns too much...I'll rough you up a bit, show you what you need! Yukito! You too! There's no time! Hurry!

: Aw, man. Do I have to...?

Warren drags Razma off the bridge, presumably to partake in a hilariously over the top training session. A comedic montage may be involved.

:…off. He's actually not a bad guy either.

: *Giggle* I know. Don't make fun of him too much. He'll implode.

: Just my strategy to get everyone fired up. See ya.

Yukito leaves.

: Yes, but they're all hurting inside. But we can't stop and think about that until all the tragedies on Mars have been averted. For the people we owe our 'today' to.

: Yes...You're right.

: (Dang! Don't cry, Semyl...Don't do it...Dang! Dang!!)

: W-What are you talking about? You can't be thinking about them. You're always saying 'Myona...' in your sleep.

: *Laughing* Just jivin'! Playin' with ya! But you're supposed to be thinking of Myona.

: That's your job...You gotta think of her enough for both you and Phil...

: (Phil...)

:…them!

: Oh? So forceful all of a sudden. Keep it up, I'll be watchin' you! (Now that Boss isn't here no more...we gotta give it our all.)

: Main engines and sub engines are functioning optimally; terrestrial defence thruster has been confirmed. Radar and sensors all normal. Due to the energy situation, it is unknown how many of these devices will be functioning normally. They will also surely attack, and Saoshyant has no defence mechanisms...It's very risky, Dana.

: Yes?

: I am not 'Dana' anymore; I am 'Captain Robin,' understand?

: What? You got a problem with that?!

:...Ppppffffttt...! CAPTAIN...Robin? Er, certainly, Captain...And I shall be happy just being 'Mister Twede.'

: It's almost time.

: OK Cap'n Robin! What's the good word?

: (Deckson...You should have been here, doing this...But I'll take care of it. Don't worry!)

:…Saoshyant to.....

: Proceed!!

Saoshyant heads towards the Oxygen plant, but halfway there…

Music: Black Ops

What’s this? A new character, this late in the game?

: Okay! Um, Jimmer, how is the plan coming along, anyway?

: Vale’s television appearance proved extremely effective. Both he and his sister are wonderful, and there is no greater happiness for me than to have them entrusted to my care. I would enjoy nothing more than to see their plan to its conclusion…I am very disappointed that it’s not possible for me to do so.

: Hm. You’re kinda weird, Jimmer. Or should I say that you’re just a sicko?

: Go ahead. Well, I’m all sweaty, so I’m going to hop in the shower. See ya.

:…Freedom to Mars. Heh heh…

Hmm. It looks like Jimmer is a high-ranking member of BAHRAM as well as Ares and Myona’s handler. We’ve actually encountered him before, albeit with his features mostly obscured in one of the ‘shadowy figure’ portraits. He’s been acting behind the scenes for a long while now.

This should read, ‘Heaven-Bound Wings’.

Music: Counterattack

Yes, there is a literal sea on Mars in the ZOE-verse.

: Whoa! We're there already...? What's with this long road that goes all the way over that way...?

: That would be the connecting bridge to the Plant area. There should be thick cables and pipes running under it.

: This is as much as the stealth device on Saoshyant can do. From this point forth, we just have to charge ahead. Twede, please go full-speed from here!

Saoshyant charges forward, but Raptors suddenly surround it halfway to the other side!

: Not at all surprising. We never expected that they would let us through that easily.

Warren, Yukito and Razma disembark first, presumably fresh from their training exercise.

: Don't let your guard down. Saoshyant has no defence mechanisms. Once they get in, it's over.

: We have to fight while protecting Saoshyant and making sure that nobody gets too close.

The other BIS units arrive, forming a defensive perimeter around the Saoshyant.

: It is waterproofed, but we don't know how its tolerance is to seawater.

: Yeah, yeah, it's a bit low-budget that way.

:...Hey, sorry. Luxuries can spoil a person, you know. Instead of complaining, how about coming up with a decision based on what we do have?

: Absolutely not. How many times do I have to tell YOU?

: Please do not act like a child.

: There aren't any weapons inside anyway. I might as well protect it from outside.

: *Sigh*

: Myona!

: Myona? I Am Pharsti. What Are You Talking About?

: Fine, maybe your name is Pharsti. But if that's true, you don't need that OF! You're here only to let that machine take advantage of your mind, and control it to make you obey them! If that's 'Pharsti,' then 'Pharsti' is not even a person! Pharsti doesn't exist!

Ugh, the translation in this game is usually fairly good but these lines are just awful.

: Myona! Can you hear me? Your name doesn't matter. Either way, I'm coming to get you...The real you!

: Pharsti! Come on!

: (Is there a real Pharsti...?)

: What's wrong?

:...No, it's nothing.

: Cage.

: Mm-hmm?

: (I want to protect you. That is all I want. That is all I will ever want.) There is no need to request my assistance. Your wish is my command.

The game gives us control here.

Player Phase Music: Counterattack
Enemy Phase Music: Impact

Mission Map:

It’s a small map this time around, but that doesn’t mean things aren’t going to be tricky. Mostly because we’re stuck on defensive duty protecting the Saoshyant.

We can have a look at its stats, but none of them matter since we’ll get a Game Over if it takes so much as a single hit. This isn’t like Super Robot Wars where your Carrier is a badass leviathan packed to the gills with doomlasers and rocket pods, either. The Saoshyant has a single laughably weak weapon that’s limited to three shots, but again it doesn’t matter since it will never shoot at anything. You can’t give it any orders, it just sits there like a lemon.

Thus our primary objective is to protect the drat thing by eliminating the surrounding Raptors as quickly as possible. That’s not all, however…

Myona is also here, and unlike the previous mission she will move towards you. Oh, and there’s a Local Server here too I guess. We’ll want to grab that when the opportunity prevents itself.

It’s in our best interests to be as aggressive as possible here, so let’s start out with taking what shots we can.

Our more nimble units like the Justeen can also run out and hit an enemy, then dash back into position next turn if necessary.

It’s a risky strategy but it can help to lessen the pressure for the next few turns.

Of course, it’s even better if you kill one outright.

Short of lucky criticals this is about the best one can hope for.

The enemy turn is pretty uneventful, all said.

Razma bags one enemy.

Robin silences another.

Semyl doesn’t quite manage to finish her enemy.

It’s too risky to move Warren out of formation just yet so he’s stuck using his pitiful ranged attack.

We should be fine from here on out. As long as every unit is able to retreat back into the starting formation everything should be okay.

…That could have been nasty.

Predictably the bottommost enemies both go after Robin, but she gets away unscathed.

Okay, here’s where we get rid of the remaining enemies…

There’s one.

And two…

Just one more to go!

And we’re all done! Now all we have to do is nab the Local Server and take care of Myona.

…After we fix ourselves up a bit, of course.

Myona will keep moving towards us, but we can easily get around her. However, you really want to get up close and hit her first for reasons that will quickly become clear.

When either you attack her or she attacks you a scene plays.

:...Ggggh...Stop Calling Me By That Name!

: Cage! Something very massive is heading in this direction! How do we respond?!

: That's the HarutMarut that we fought against at the TV station! Zephyrs! How did you get here? I thought you shot an official and then were injured...I heard that you were in the hospital.

: I wanted to see all of you again so badly that I escaped together with this beauty. And that beam of light that was on TV...Who knew that it had that kind of use...Metatron is an absolutely wonderful discovery! I...If I could analyze that, it would pave the way for further developments in weapons technology! Once that happens, the cretins over on Earth will not be able to deny my accomplishments...My genius!!

: (He seems off somehow...Perhaps he's not well yet?) No offense, but I don't have time to be dealing with you. Please get out of my way!

Come on, Cage. Since when has Space Mengele ever not been ‘off’? Also did it not occur to the authorities to have the HarutMarut impounded / destroyed? Someone’s getting fired for that…

: (Is that #479 on that OF? Ah...That's the frame housing the Mindflow component...Perfect.)

: Heh heh heh....Hey, don't be that way. This is a happy reunion for us; let me show you something very interesting!

: EEEEEEeeeeeeeekkkkkkkk!!

: Myonaaaaa!

: I'll show you what the 'Self Binder' really is. Now, #479, can you hear me?

: D-Doctor Zephyrs?

: Heh heh...Yes, #479. This is my first command to you in a long time. Burn it...Burn everything!!

: What did I do to her? Who do you think you are...I'll make you pay for entrapping me!

:…Destroyed. Action Finalized.

More enemies suddenly spawn in.

: Darn, it's the brainwashing system...What am I supposed to do?!

: There are interference waves emanating from HarutMarut. If they can be intercepted or stopped, Miss Myona may emerge from her trance.

: Really?

: Yes. either the origin or the receiving end must be rendered inoperable.

: Myona or Zephyrs...Which machine should we attack...? I have to be really careful about this...

Come on, Cage, this is a no-brainer. We’re going to take Zephyrs down, for good this time.

We should probably move our forces up to support the Vjaya, but first let’s check out the new enemy type that’s just appeared.

Meet the Cyclops, another recurring ZOE series enemy. The Cyclops is a slower Raptor variant with extra armour and its weaponry replaced with a single melee attack that uses no ammo or energy, making its EN entirely superfluous. Oh, and said attack can be used after moving as well. Oh, and their Hit rating is sky-high too, giving them Boss-level accuracy against some of our slower units.

If you’re wondering about Zephyrs, the HarutMarut is the same as it was before. The damage we caused to its upper armour hasn’t been repaired, so it won’t get any sort of second wind this time.

There are no rear end in a top hat reinforcements coming from the west, so there’s not much point in leaving anyone behind to guard the Saoshyant.

All of the enemies move towards us on their turn, including both Zephyrs and Myona. You can see the two Cyclops’s lagging behind to the right.

Might as well dive straight in.

Despite my enthusiasm this is about all I can do for this turn, though.

Oh, yeah, and Zephyrs still has his rear end in a top hat attacks that are useable after moving.

Ugggghhh. Nasty stuff.

Unfortunately there’s not much time to recover since one of the Raptors is trying to sneak past and cheapshot the carrier.

It is suitably chastised.

Another kill for the murderduo.

That’s all the Raptors dealt with.

Lastly the Vjaya snags the game’s penultimate Local Server.

Welp.

See what I mean about sky-high accuracy?

Of course, with IAS 100% accuracy simply means huge crosshairs, but…

Ugh. Still, could be worse.

You could wind up being crushed beneath a charging OF the size of a battleship! :shepface:

Of course, now it’s our turn to dish out the pain.

One problem is that our LEV’s can’t leave the bridge and go into the water. Our OF’s can also only hover over it; the game won’t give you the option to land there.

Now it’s just Zephyrs left to kill.

Fortunately he’s already used up the ammo for his Wisp Meteor attack and is now stuck with his weaker, less accurate riot-control flamethrowers.

He’s not much of a threat now.

Thankfully Yukito manages to avoid the charge this time.

Okay, now it’s dogpile time.

Got him. For being such a self-described genius you’d have thought he would have eliminated the three massive glaring critical hit spots on his mech.

: Brilliant! Utilizing Metatron, humans can be elevated to a whole new level of being. This is exactly what I have been searching for...Angel's wings that will take me to paradise!!

: What you've been searching for? And you made Myona and Ares suffer for that?! No, that's not all. Nameless children too, just for your whim...That's not what angel wings will do! That is pure evil!

: Not much difference really, between angels and the forces of evil.

: Ah, you are so simple. To me, God is cruel and unsympathetic being...Death began to take many forms once humans were given tools. And now, with the advent of Metatron, a new battle is about to unfold...But even this struggle is paving the way for human advancement and betterment.

: Are you saying that it's God's will? And that He created Metatron for that purpose?

: Once you get past all the personal feelings, it becomes clear that the things that are useful to the general populace as a whole survive...And those that aren't, don't. If that is not how nature works, how is it that humans have survived until now? Why is it that evil happens? Because it is God's will!

: Time will tell. Regardless of what you say, the one who is left standing in the end is the one who is correct. That's just the way it is, always...

: The one left standing...?

: I, I wanted to...be a genius. I wanted only to...be better than every...one else...Than any…one...Hardiman...I wanted to...be...be...tter...that...

: *Gasp!*

: His life as a human was already over. The entity with whom we conversed was a soulless prisoner of Metatron.

: What do you mean? He was...a ghost??

: No. I imagine that it may be something that not even he understands, a side effect of Metatron on the human form.

The idea that Metatron is some sort of corruptive agent is a central theme of the ZOE series. We’ll be seeing more extreme examples of it in the alternate story path.

:…couldn't be. Never.)

: Ugggg...What...did I...

: Myona! Great! You're back!

: Myona?!

: R-Retreat!

Myona’s unit vanishes from the field.

: Cage...

:...Is the real Myona inside of her really beginning to fade...? Pharsti...Do you think I can really do it? Do I have what it takes to save Myona in time...?

: Affirmative. Your feelings will get through to her. I guarantee it.

:...Thanks. It's all ov...

: Come on, Cage.

: Yeah…all right...We have to hurry...

: It appears that he had directly linked his own body to the OF in order to manoeuvre it.

: He linked himself...? Is that possible?

: He was consumed by Metatron...He could no longer see beyond it.

: That's frightening. Twede, how are we on time?

: You sure?

: It is my job to be sure.

: The man with the plan! Mmmm, I like that.

: He's taken.

: D-Dana?!

: I knew it!! I just knew it. So how long has this been going on?

See what I said earlier about neat pairs.

:…tomorrow.

: We gotta hurry! Stop Ares and get Myona outta there!

: Yeah...This is probably our last chance.

: We should make sure to run a thorough check of all the frames. It's not like I'm getting scared but for better or worse, this is the last one.

: Agreed. You can never have too much concentration at a time like this. We have to do it for Deckson and Phil, too.

: (Myona...wait for me...)

We get a pretty sweet haul from the Local Server – the Orcrist’s final attack, energy resistance for the Vjaya and self-repair for the Durandal II.

Okay, so we’ve taken down Zephyrs for good and are about to throw down with Ares for the first time since the very first mission. We’re rapidly approaching the endgame with only three more missions left to go, and from here on out we’ll be facing down whatever BAHRAM has left to throw at us. We’ll also be getting rid of another recurring enemy – can you guess which one? Tune in next time to find out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If you're good with IAS (hahaha) you can just end your turn while you're surrounding the Sayoshant. The raptors will be body-blocked by your units and you can take care of them pretty easily and with no fear of getting the Sayoshant damaged. On the other hand, getting hit too many times even with IAS is a death sentence.

And yeah, the Nerokerubina loving hurts!

FFKonoko
Jan 1, 2013

Olfacere violarum.
Zephyrus linked himself directly to the OF and started ranting about will and metatron?
Huh. I always figured Nohman was just nutty, but metatron being a corruptive influence does make sense. Except...Dingo?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

FFKonoko posted:

Zephyrus linked himself directly to the OF and started ranting about will and metatron?
Huh. I always figured Nohman was just nutty, but metatron being a corruptive influence does make sense. Except...Dingo?

There seem to be exceptions, but most of the time prolonged exposure leads to mental degradation and insanity, like with Zephyrs, Nohman, Radium and one other guy from Fist of Mars's alternate route.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really do like the story of the game down this path - having constantly-retreating enemies may be a pain in the rear end, but it's very much a staple of giant robot games. It's a shame there haven't been any ZoE games in a long while, the universe is pretty neat.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Scintilla posted:

Vjaya

Class: Orbital Frame
Description: OF used by BIS, whose composition allows for ninja-like agility and speed. Comparatively lower in offensive ability, but can perform two types of burst attacks. Rare model. Piloted by Ares.

I always thought that the Vjaya looked like the Zine from Masoukishin, an earlier Winkysoft game for the Super Nintendo. I haven't found a good image, but they definitely have similar head shapes and body styles.

There are some differences I'll admit, but they seem very, very similar to me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So it's just the act of syncing with an Orbital Frame that drives you a bit loopy? Spending time thinking you're something that's not a human, I suppose?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

HiKaizer posted:

I always thought that the Vjaya looked like the Zine from Masoukishin, an earlier Winkysoft game for the Super Nintendo. I haven't found a good image, but they definitely have similar head shapes and body styles.

There are some differences I'll admit, but they seem very, very similar to me.

I noticed that as well, but I just chalked it up to both looking like Kapools/Capules from Gundam. And as much as I like the Vjaya I think the Zine has it beat in terms of weaponry what with its ridiculous split-image-rainbow-charge knife attack.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Zine can also Repair, so it's generally a really versatile mech which can be built for either melee or ranged.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I wouldn't be surprised if the design was influenced that way since it was the same guys working on both titles.

FFKonoko
Jan 1, 2013

Olfacere violarum.

Omnicrom posted:

I noticed that as well, but I just chalked it up to both looking like Kapools/Capules from Gundam. And as much as I like the Vjaya I think the Zine has it beat in terms of weaponry what with its ridiculous split-image-rainbow-charge knife attack.

I figured that since the Vjaya is somewhat ninja themed, it was supposed to resemble having one of those japanese flattish straw hats, and those trousers that are baggy until the knee, then bindings and tabi. (I know very little about this, I just have this mix of stereotypes in mind that the vjaya seemed very similar to.)

Does the Zine also have ninja-style attacks, because that might help explain the similarities, along with the potentially shared designer.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

FFKonoko posted:

I figured that since the Vjaya is somewhat ninja themed, it was supposed to resemble having one of those japanese flattish straw hats, and those trousers that are baggy until the knee, then bindings and tabi. (I know very little about this, I just have this mix of stereotypes in mind that the vjaya seemed very similar to.)

Does the Zine also have ninja-style attacks, because that might help explain the similarities, along with the potentially shared designer.

It has ridiculous split-image-rainbow-charge knife attacks like I said

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

This was the game that really got me into mecha in general, so I suppose it's Konami's fault that I've spent about $1000 on plastic robots. Good LP so far, really looking forward to the alternate route since I always managed to get route A. Didn't know you could get Nadia as the second Vjaya pilot until my last playthrough though, I thought it was always Twede.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Ugh, sorry for the delay. Who knew archival theory could be so complicated and time-consuming? I'm about 3/4 done with the next update, which I'll hopefully have ready by the weekend. Here's a sneak preview of what's in store:

Unmanned Grafficanes!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Glazius posted:

So it's just the act of syncing with an Orbital Frame that drives you a bit loopy? Spending time thinking you're something that's not a human, I suppose?

Basically, it got pretty bad in the OVA prequel, Idolo, which had to do with the Deimos Incident. Also had to do with the first Orbital Frame that BAHRAM (or BUFRAM, depending on their mood) developed and the test pilots who were chosen for it. One of them went just a little crazy because they were still learning about this fancy Metatron stuff, and the other was Viola from the original game. Other than that it mostly tries to paint BAHRAM in a more sympathetic light than pretty much everything else ever. They also really play up the dickishness of the UNSF, treating them as supermen who toss around Martians like cardboard boxes because of the difference in gravity. It's worth a watch if for no other reason than the absolutely hilarious amount of shots that really emphasize the cockpit.

FFKonoko
Jan 1, 2013

Olfacere violarum.

Scintilla posted:

Unmanned Grafficanes!

I'll give the requisite "ooh"s and "aaah"s, since their stats seem pretty close to the Cyclops we had recently, including that their Hit is pretty drat high, they also have a bit of improvement to their Avoid too. They must pack a good wallop with their weapons, but that's nothing unusual at this stage of the game.

Looking forward to the update, in the meantime sounds like watching that Idolo OVA that just got mentioned will be fun. Cockpit shots! Whoo!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Let's get a new page for the next update, this one is kind of heavy.

I was inspired by this thread to get the ZOE HD collection, only to find I now suck at the game horribly. As in, dying before I get to the first boss fight in ZOE2 horrible. On normal.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

FFKonoko posted:

I'll give the requisite "ooh"s and "aaah"s, since their stats seem pretty close to the Cyclops we had recently, including that their Hit is pretty drat high, they also have a bit of improvement to their Avoid too. They must pack a good wallop with their weapons, but that's nothing unusual at this stage of the game.

They are very, very annoying if you let them get the first hit. But since it's trivial to control an enemy's positioning in this game they aren't as much of a threat as they could be. If you have IAS turned off they're positively nightmarish though.

wdarkk posted:

This is a good plan since the next update is shaping up to have about 300 screenshots. I may wind up splitting it, it's the longest mission yet and maybe even the longest in the game full stop.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

wdarkk posted:

I was inspired by this thread to get the ZOE HD collection, only to find I now suck at the game horribly. As in, dying before I get to the first boss fight in ZOE2 horrible. On normal.

First boss fight... you mean Ardjet or Vic Viper?

Because I mean... I can maybe understand the Vic Viper fight, because Deimos Station is miserable, but what would kill you on Callisto?

Unsolicited advice, if you're not doing it yet: Don't just hold dash when doing your homing laser stuff. Tap it repeatedly. Don't be afraid to use your shield!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah those guys can be assholes even if you're playing with IAS. They're fairly beefy too, as far as unmanned mooks go.
They must be a total bitch with IAS off.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The most dangerous thing is if you make the mistake of taking out Ned before you take out his flunkies, because said flunkies stick around even after you kill him. And then Amante shows up with her flunkies, including those Grafficanes, which are then free to advance on you and tear you to shreds because you can't avoid them because you're still pinned down by Ned's flunkies.

Rule #1: Always take out the flunkies before the boss.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Andrevian posted:

First boss fight... you mean Ardjet or Vic Viper?

Because I mean... I can maybe understand the Vic Viper fight, because Deimos Station is miserable, but what would kill you on Callisto?

Unsolicited advice, if you're not doing it yet: Don't just hold dash when doing your homing laser stuff. Tap it repeatedly. Don't be afraid to use your shield!

The raptors. I told you I'm bad at this.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Scintilla posted:

The most dangerous thing is if you make the mistake of taking out Ned before you take out his flunkies, because said flunkies stick around even after you kill him. And then Amante shows up with her flunkies, including those Grafficanes, which are then free to advance on you and tear you to shreds because you can't avoid them because you're still pinned down by Ned's flunkies.

Rule #1: Always take out the flunkies before the boss.

Yup, definitely. There's no telling how much EXP/money you might lose by going for bosses first too. I don't think I've ever let a mook survive except in the last mission where I went "screw it" and just dodged everything while trying to complete the main objective because dear god the amount of enemies ramps up ridiculously.

wdarkk posted:

Honestly, maybe you should just switch to Easy? The game doesn't penalize you for choosing certain difficulties. Though something I also recommend is abusing the Grab subweapon, since it can kinda trivialize the game. Grab an enemy, and either beat down the others with it to take out several at a time or mash Circle to get a ton of invincibility frames and do the spinning throw move. The latter is really helpful against crowds.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I am rapidly realizing how much "difficulty" I missed out on in this game through my multiple replays by always cheesing the IAS. Other than a few ":gonk: oh god their hit circles are HUGE" moments I was never really that concerned about enemies other than how long it would take to mop them up, or how many weak EXP-harvesting hits I could get in on a boss before it expired.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Yeah. Abusing Grab is awesome. Just don't try to do it to a Cyclops. For some reason, I remember those guys being really mean about getting thrown.

You'll be fine after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FFKonoko
Jan 1, 2013

Olfacere violarum.

wdarkk posted:

I am honestly curious to see you play, if only because it seems like there must be a very crucial issue going on there.
I mean, I suppose ZOE2 does have something of a sudden start when it comes to the difficulty curve, like it expects you to be familiar from the first game if you're playing on normal. With raptors you can abuse your ranged burst attack a bit too, just remember to dodge if they do their ranged burst in return.

• Locked thread