Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Stringent posted:

If you're not dead set on another meat, smoked baked beans is the nectar of the gods.

You can smoke baked beans? This changes everything :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

jonathan posted:

Pork Tenderloin. I have 5x1 lb tenderloins. Is there a low n slow technique for these ? Thinking I will just put them into the oven, get them up to 200 then smoke/brown them over charcoal for 1/2 hour to create a bark.

Opinions ?

There isn't really a low and slow for loins as they aren't really fatty enough. Grill them until they are done but throw some soaked wood chips on the fire to get some smoke into them. I could be wrong.

Crazyeyes posted:

Don't look up smoked Mac&Cheese if smoked baked beans changes everything ;)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jonathan posted:

Pork Tenderloin. I have 5x1 lb tenderloins. Is there a low n slow technique for these ? Thinking I will just put them into the oven, get them up to 200 then smoke/brown them over charcoal for 1/2 hour to create a bark.

Opinions ?

A proper cold smoking that doesn't cook them at all is probably the best way so you can grill them after or whatever

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

LTBS posted:

There isn't really a low and slow for loins as they aren't really fatty enough. Grill them until they are done but throw some soaked wood chips on the fire to get some smoke into them. I could be wrong.

I've smoked a few pork loins with excellent results by hanging really thick bacon on the racks in my MES above the tenderloins. As the bacon cooks, the fat renders, and drips onto the loin. So you end up with nice, crispy bacon and a super-delicious tenderloin. Yes, its likely cheating/is wrong, but it tastes so right.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks, I will top them with bacon strips.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Stringent posted:

If you're not dead set on another meat, smoked baked beans is the nectar of the gods.

Explain yourself. How might one smoke their beans?

I'm slobbering right now thinking about what that tastes like.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

LaserWash posted:

Explain yourself. How might one smoke their beans?

I'm slobbering right now thinking about what that tastes like.

Put baked beans in glass cooking pan. Place in smoker under pork shoulder to collect drippings.

Bam smoked beans.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok, about the tenderloins, if I wrap them in bacon and them smoke them, can anyone give some tips ? I've never wrapped anything in bacon and then cooked it before.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

Put baked beans in glass cooking pan. Place in smoker under pork shoulder to collect drippings.

Bam smoked beans.

I use this recipe but cook them in disposable foil pans I can just toss when done:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/beans.html

So goddamn good. They are usually gone before whatever meat I make for get togethers.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

jonathan posted:

Ok, about the tenderloins, if I wrap them in bacon and them smoke them, can anyone give some tips ? I've never wrapped anything in bacon and then cooked it before.

Wrapping works, but you don't get as much bark/smoke ring in the loin.
Cut some ~good~ bacon (key part of this) nice and thick, and then wrap it around the loin like you were making a meat-mummy. Then just slap it in the smoker for...well, depending on the size, 2-3 hours or so @ 225, or a little longer at lower - use your thermometer, and once the center is 145 or so, you're done. I usually pull mine at 140'ish, wrap it in foil and let it finish cooking/re-absorbing juice before I cut it.

Prepare to enjoy deliciousness.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

DJCobol posted:

I use this recipe but cook them in disposable foil pans I can just toss when done:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/beans.html

So goddamn good. They are usually gone before whatever meat I make for get togethers.

I use the glass because it holds heat better and keeps the beans nice and warm while the shoulder/brisket rests. Either way works really and it doesn't make a huge difference, but I prefer to just not use a lot of disposable cooking supplies.

Also the ketchup is completely unnecessary. I use the following:

1 Massive Fatass sized can of Bush's Homestyle Baked Beans
1 Completely unmeasured amount of molasses until it "looks ok".
1 Completely unmeasured amount of brown sugar cause "thats enough"
1 Tablespoon of Webers Horseradish Mustard (This is a NY thing, regular mustard will do http://webersmustard.com it's good poo poo!)*
1 Whole bottle of McIlhenney Smoked Chipotle Tobasco
1 Pile of pork rib tip trimmings that I keep saved from cutting st. louis.

Place entire mixture under a pork shoulder or brisket. Smoke with Cherry, Hickory, Apple, or Pear wood for about 5 hours.

Eat entire pile of beans in one sitting.

Feel no shame :unsmith:.

*Note: On reading this after I posted it I probably don't measure the drat mustard either. Whatever massive spoonful size I pull out of the bottle is what goes in.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 14, 2013

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

If you want a meat side you absolutely cant go wrong with meatloaf either, I do mine on a cedar plank and the flavor is so good that family asks for it damned near weekly.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazyeyes posted:

I put my beans in a foil pan underneath my Pork Shoulder or Beef Brisket. Let the meat drip into the beans all day. It tastes so drat good.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the suggestions. The tenderloin wrapped in bacon turned out loving amazing. You know it turns out well when your guests take their first bite and close their eyes and tilt their heads back.

They were kind of thin so I was having trouble getting an accurate internal temp (The tenderloins, not the guests). So I put them in for 55 minutes, pulled them at an indicated 150* internal.

served with rice, spinach salad with an store bought avacado/lime dressing.

Facebook album link (public)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151998321391550.1073741829.647681549&type=1&l=c864a3d831

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.
Smoked baked beans sounds amazing. My only issue with the suggestion of letting it sit under a pork shoulder while it smokes is the amount of fat that would drip into the beans. I mean, I love rich foods as much as the next guy, but wouldn't these end up swimming in fat? Alternatively, skimming it off seems like it would be difficult.

Maybe I'm just missing something.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Corkscrew posted:

Smoked baked beans sounds amazing. My only issue with the suggestion of letting it sit under a pork shoulder while it smokes is the amount of fat that would drip into the beans. I mean, I love rich foods as much as the next guy, but wouldn't these end up swimming in fat? Alternatively, skimming it off seems like it would be difficult.

I smoke the trimmings from my ribs and then add them to my beans. Beans are also a great way to use the point from brisket.

I smoked this over pecan for 6 hours. The bacon keeps it from drying out.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Corkscrew posted:

Nobody said that anything about it was healthy man. You're soaking beans in smoked fat. Thats the point. At first it's a little soupy but once they cool off to ready to eat temperatures it's just the right consistency. I might drain off a ladle or two of drippins but thats about it. Really depends how well you trim your shoulder.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
All that smoked fat sounds a tastebomb worth saving. I'd probably cool it and spreadit on bread as butter. I do this with leftover fat when I fry pork belly slices or bacon. It's actually healthier than butter.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have to try the mac and cheese now. I've done beans and they're amazing. Meatloaf is another one of my favorites in the smoker. Any other non traditional things I should smoke?

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Absolutely save the drippings, they keep indefinitely without attracting off flavors if they're in a sealed jar in the fridge. Pork fat is lower in saturated fat and higher in mono and poly unsaturated fats than butter is. The pork fat is also great for savory applications where butter isn't so appropriate - like light sauteing, or tamales.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Last page. Don't care.

Chemmy posted:

I have a Traeger that has no trouble doing that.

It's an electric pellet smoker, I'm pleased with the results.

Can it sit outside all year? or does it need to be stored?

Also any other recommendations for electric smokers would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I live in California and keep it outside. Probably not a helpful answer.

keyrock
Mar 5, 2010

LaserWash posted:

Okay, slow cooking goons, I need a suggestion on pairings.

I'm smoking some pulled pork on my gas grill on Friday and need/want to do something else (meat cooking-wise) at the same time. What should I be doing that would be easy? I did a brisket and sausage for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was freaking awesome. Not bad considering it was my first time.

What should I smoke with my pulled pork? What kind of trimmings and stuff should I do?

My wife and I are having it for dinner on Friday night with some homebrew. It's going to be epic.

Smoke potatoes for 4 ish hours, till soft, then make twice baked potatoes with lots of cream, cheddar cheese and chives. Then back on the smoker for another hour. They're really good, the smoke flavor works well with the cheddar.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

keyrock posted:

Smoke potatoes for 4 ish hours, till soft, then make twice baked potatoes with lots of cream, cheddar cheese and chives. Then back on the smoker for another hour. They're really good, the smoke flavor works well with the cheddar.

Okay, pretty much going to have to do this when I do the brisket next week. Thanks for the idea.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
hope this is alright, just figured I would pass it on. Not associated with the company other than I have bought and use their grates and love them.

If anyone is looking for some holiday gifts, I just got an email from www.cast-iron-grate.com offering 20% off everything till Nov30th. I have both the cast grates for my Large BGE and my 21" Weber OTG and they are fantastic.

the code is blackfriday20

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
20% off of those Craycort setups is a nice deal. I'd rather get GrillGrates though, I'm not a fan of cast iron grates on a grill.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm not a fan of cast iron grates on a grill.

Really. even in my humid rear end climate (florida) i've never had a problem with rust. I just spray down with olive oil when I am done cooking and it re-seasons its self.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know we have a Thanksgiving thread but who is smoking a turkey on Thursday? Going to be my first time smoking one, I am very excited.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Rand alPaul posted:

I know we have a Thanksgiving thread but who is smoking a turkey on Thursday? Going to be my first time smoking one, I am very excited.

I am tomorrow, this will be my first time smoking a turkey and am excited as well. I think my biggest concern at this point is that it is thawed in time.

EDIT

Wow, I sure didn't due my prep work for this. Sometimes I'm on, sometimes I'm not. The end result is what ultimately matters, so we'll see.

Dukket fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 24, 2013

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dukket posted:

I am tomorrow, this will be my first time smoking a turkey and am excited as well. I think my biggest concern at this point is that it is thawed in time.

EDIT

Wow, I sure didn't due my prep work for this. Sometimes I'm on, sometimes I'm not. The end result is what ultimately matters, so we'll see.

I've got my turkey already defrosting in the fridge. I'm just hoping I get crispy skin, so I'm aiming for like 325 as a temperature in my Weber Smokey Mountain.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Rand alPaul posted:

Just picked up a 17-pounder yesterday from a local farm, going to try smoking it for the first time with some applewood chunks. Plus a batch of smoked mac n' cheese with some lightly smoked (a few months ago and frozen) pork loin, because I can't see how that could be anything but delicious.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Dukket posted:

EDIT

It turned out really well, though I had to finish it in the oven for time - yesterday was a bit of mess and I didn't get started as early as I wanted. It was cold here, in the teens I think, the smoker held at about 280. We still have about half of the turkey left, so now its time to figure out what to do with it. Overall i call it a success.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There is a place in Los Angeles that is selling farm raised birds. $14 per pound. I have never seen anything that outrageous in my BBQ smoking life. They're a decent butcher but I can't frequent a place that finds that pricing acceptable.

This year we are going about an hour away so I can't use the BGE to smoke a turkey :(

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dukket posted:

It turned out really well, though I had to finish it in the oven for time - yesterday was a bit of mess and I didn't get started as early as I wanted. It was cold here, in the teens I think, the smoker held at about 280. We still have about half of the turkey left, so now its time to figure out what to do with it. Overall i call it a success.

Awesome. In general how difficult is it to smoke in cold temperatures? This is my first year with a WSM.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Rand alPaul posted:

Awesome. In general how difficult is it to smoke in cold temperatures? This is my first year with a WSM.

This was my first time smoking in temps under 80. The smoker held at 280 and I couldn't for the life of me get it any higher except when drippings got around the pan. I'm curious as to what would have happened if I used my Weber kettle instead, it tends to run much hotter, but is also much harder to control. I used a mix of briquettes and lump, hoping the lump would help with heat - Next time I might just use lump. I put the turkey on at 3:45 and took it off at 7:30 - temp was about 155 - and put it in the oven (350) until it hit 165 and tented it.

To more directly answer your question - it wasn't bad. I was much less likely to fiddle with it because it was cold outside and maintaining really well, just lower then I wanted. With that in mind I would start earlier.

On a side note, one of my guests gave me a slab of granite left over from his counter top - I'm hoping it'll help my oven maintain temp better.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

sellouts posted:

There is a place in Los Angeles that is selling farm raised birds. $14 per pound. I have never seen anything that outrageous in my BBQ smoking life. They're a decent butcher but I can't frequent a place that finds that pricing acceptable.

This year we are going about an hour away so I can't use the BGE to smoke a turkey :(

drat...our pasture-raised bird from a small farm was $3.50/pound. Granted, we're in Southwest VA, but still.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I decided everyone in my family is getting a smoked cheese sampler for Christmas. Here is a list of what I smoked yesterday. Colby, Mozzarella, Jalapeno Jack, Jabanero Jack, Sharp Cheddar. The below cold smoking method worked better than I could have hopped for. Vacuum sealing it took forever, and now I am a bit crowded on fridge space, but they will get mailed out in a few weeks.

All this fit on the egg in one shot, I did have it stacked over 4 grates though.

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to be smoking a smaller turkey in addition to our baked one. It's more for shits and giggles than anything, but I'd like to make it delicious. Should I be injecting this thing with butter and seasoning?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Trustfund. posted:

I'm going to be smoking a smaller turkey in addition to our baked one. It's more for shits and giggles than anything, but I'd like to make it delicious. Should I be injecting this thing with butter and seasoning?

As I understand it being is the best way. Injecting melted butter into the breast will also reduce chance of it drying out.

Speaking of which: anyone have a good turkey brine recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Hey my dad bought a smoker a long time ago, a bigass metal one, like 150 pounds, firebox thing on the side, but every time we used it, the meat always tasted kind of weird. He's actually a really bad cook, and if we ever have family barbeques I end up doing most of it now, but I read in that Thanksgiving thread about someone smoking their turkey and it reminded me of the weird meat my dad always cooked with this thing. It had a decent smoke ring and we live in Texas so everyone has their on barbeque tips and stuff that they swear by, but it always had a weird acidic taste, almost metallic or lime-y. We never marinaded anything we smoked, it was always a dry rub; I thought it was the wood, we used pecan wood from trees we had growing, and oak and whatever trash wood we might have had from people trimming trees or whatever.

I was thinking about it and kind of wanted to try smoking this old turkey we have in the freezer, but I also want to understand why it always tasted like that (I always assumed it was whatever wood he was using - maybe it might also have been that the thing was iron and is now rusty because we kept it outside for over 10 years), and to understand how to cook with the thing.