Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

waah posted:

How am I suppose to be dealing with seekers early on? Circle jerk overwatch when they show up and hope for the best?

Pretty much, yeah.

Basically in the early game what you want to do is:

1. make sure all your guys are within one turn of each other

2. Make sure nobody has 2 health or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

waah posted:

How am I suppose to be dealing with seekers early on? Circle jerk overwatch when they show up and hope for the best?

Yeah, they'll eventually come for your one man who's straggling the most. They're not really a threat at any point of the game, they'll tag one of your men for 2 damage and then die. I've not really seen them do much else over than maybe pop a bullet from their mouth now and then.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay you loving game. I have a Sniper, two supports, a heavy, and two MEC snipers. I do not need two more loving squaddie snipers. gently caress you. That used to just be annoying but now it's even worse, I'd like to have a MEC that isn't a sniper at some point :(

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Rynex posted:

Yeah, they'll eventually come for your one man who's straggling the most. They're not really a threat at any point of the game, they'll tag one of your men for 2 damage and then die. I've not really seen them do much else over than maybe pop a bullet from their mouth now and then.

They really just exist to keep from having a squadsight sniper chilling in the back taking potshots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Emong posted:

They really just exist to keep from having a squadsight sniper chilling in the back taking potshots.

That's going to be big enough to make me reconsider making every sniper a squadsight one then, ouch. Even with the changes to that other skill on its own squadsight still seems more valuable.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just make 2 snipers and solve that dilemma.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
With all the urban UFO maps and the emphasis on recovering meld, that also hurts the utility of squadsight in my mind. There are less open lines of sight, and you can't really afford to sit around and wait for your squadsight sniper to get in perfect position so you can continue working down this or that corridor.

All in all, while I may take one or two squadsight snipers and maybe by the end of the game I'll do the usual archangel double tap squad sight sniper duo bullshit, the skill is a lot less attractive in EW.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

:stare: Welp I guess XCOM is telling me to take a break now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Emong posted:

Even if you kill it the turn it strangles, that still makes your affected squaddie basically have to hunker down that turn due to the aim penalty of not breathing.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

That's going to be big enough to make me reconsider making every sniper a squadsight one then, ouch. Even with the changes to that other skill on its own squadsight still seems more valuable.

My main sniper in my classic playthrough is a Snap Shot sniper with the jump and depth perception gene mods; her crazy mobility and ridiculous accuracy even after moving (give them a Scope early on to offset Snap Shot's penalty) makes my team much more mobile because I don't have to wait for the Squadsight sniper to catch up. I also gave her In the Zone because she has many more opportunities to flank without needing to waste a Heavy's rocket. I think the only problem I had with her at first was getting the hang of when she was in range or not, but I think that for my subsequent playthroughs my first sniper will almost always be Snap Shot.

Mind you, I have a Squadsight sniper who is incredibly useful in terror missions, where you aren't very mobile after saving a few civilians. Squadsight is still great for 100% on demand damage and an almost guaranteed crit every three turns. I haven't gotten Archangel armor yet, but I barely used it in the base game anyway because I preferred Ghost on my snipers everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

chami posted:

My main sniper in my classic playthrough is a Snap Shot sniper with the jump and depth perception gene mods; her crazy mobility and ridiculous accuracy even after moving (give them a Scope early on to offset Snap Shot's penalty) makes my team much more mobile because I don't have to wait for the Squadsight sniper to catch up. I also gave her In the Zone because she has many more opportunities to flank without needing to waste a Heavy's rocket. I think the only problem I had with her at first was getting the hang of when she was in range or not, but I think that for my subsequent playthroughs my first sniper will almost always be Snap Shot.

Mind you, I have a Squadsight sniper who is incredibly useful in terror missions, where you aren't very mobile after saving a few civilians. Squadsight is still great for 100% on demand damage and an almost guaranteed crit every three turns.

Oh, cool. I haven't gotten gene mods yet since I focused on getting my giant death robot out, but I'm getting there. Speaking of new Enemy Within stuff, I bought a gas grenade, but I don't really see the point unless aliens refuse to go through the poison cloud. They're going to die the next turn anyway, one more point of damage won't help. Do Needle grenades count as explosive?

e: Come to think of it I don't see thin men spitting poison any more, just getting critical hit after critical hit.

e: VVV That mec didn't ask for that.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Wales Grey posted:

:stare: Welp I guess XCOM is telling me to take a break now.
Hope you brought plenty of rockets!

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009
Does Meld show only once on a map, meaning it's basically a limited resource during a playthrough? Does it respawn on UFO maps?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

libersyber posted:

Does Meld show only once on a map, meaning it's basically a limited resource during a playthrough? Does it respawn on UFO maps?

There are 2 cans per map (minus terror sites and council missions), and once their timer hits zero they're gone. If you somehow have a firefight on the same map twice, there will be more meld there waiting for you.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

libersyber posted:

You never revisit a location, it's always a new place each mission. Maps just get reused because there's only so many of them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

poptart_fairy posted:

Panicking EXALT are the most wonderful thing in the world. :allears:

"I'M LOSING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION!" :gonk:

Said while being set on fire by a Space Marine in full power armor. Frankly, I give them props for not saying "gently caress this" and booking it the first time they see one of their bros getting punched through a wall. EXALT NEVER panics unless they're on fire or have been PSI-panicked.

You know, I appreciate that they're zealots, but it would be nice to see them break and run once in a while. X-COM is also highly motivated, and they freak out if one of their squadmates stubs his toe.

e: speaking of Meld, I wish they had addressed what its deal is during the game. Why do the aliens leave goody containers around abduction sites for no reason? It makes sense there would be some lying around during UFO missions (kinda...I had a canister on the roof of a UFO once), but the abduction missions are just weird.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 14, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've been having a lot of success with just clustering everyone together and overwatching when Stranglers show up. More often than not the massed overwatch fire from the rest of the team kills the poor squiddy before it even connects. If it does grab then there's always someone on hand to finish it off and then we keep moving. The problem with that approach is that it slows you down for a couple of rounds (or more if the squidddy's being coy) which can cost you Meld. It's also kinda problematic if they show up while you're busy shooting someone else. Still, the overwatch cluster has kept me from ever losing a guy to a squiddy yet.

Also to whomever it was who was talking about XCom's occasional gender imbalance: I was going to say that no, it's not like that and then a combination of casualties and replacements hit and now my XCom is 2/3 female. So....yeah, I guess I'm right there with ya. :shrug:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How long do Council missions stick around for? My one MEC unit is wounded but I have another ready in a day, and the Thinmen are kicking my rear end.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
For the seeker/sniper chat. Toss out a Battle scanner and the problem is solved. The AI doesn't seem to be clever enough to go around the AOE of the scanner.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Vengarr posted:

e: speaking of Meld, I wish they had addressed what its deal is during the game. Why do the aliens leave goody containers around abduction sites for no reason? It makes sense there would be some lying around during UFO missions (kinda...I had a canister on the roof of a UFO once), but the abduction missions are just weird.

I always figured they were either experimenting on abductee's with it or it was made of people :tinfoil:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Or just have everyone wear anti-strangulation collars (which also protect against thin man poison and give you two blocks of health!)

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
If anyone wants the Colonel skills added to damage roulette you can simply edit the perks either to the .exe or the .ini, it works fine. Just got a Heavy with Resilience.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Seekers usually use their first turn to dash to one of your units, select a soldier and "check" the movement grid right next to your units. Squares blocked by the seekers will be "blank" (as in impassable like those right next to meld canisters when they blow up). Make the soldier they're hugging retreat, toss a grenade to pop their stealth and execute them.

It's cheesy as hell, but hey, this game isn't exactly about fairness.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 14, 2013

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe I never tried out snapshot snipers with ITZ before. Having my sniper mop up entire pods of enemies in one action is amazing. Also, combined with the MEC grenade launcher to destroy cover, it's hilariously easy to do.

And the best part is if you throw mimetic skin into the mix, your sniper can then sneak in, murder three aliens, and because she still has an action left, keep moving and turn invisible again all in one turn.

year199X fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 14, 2013

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Vengarr posted:

"I'M LOSING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION!" :gonk:

Said while being set on fire by a Space Marine in full power armor. Frankly, I give them props for not saying "gently caress this" and booking it the first time they see one of their bros getting punched through a wall.

I wish I had been running fraps at the time, but I found out the fun way that punched exalt ragdolls fly off of the roof of the skyscraper map just like you'd hope. :allears:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So uh has anyone had their Mek punch get reflected by ethereals yet? Is it even possible or do I think the game hates me more than it really does?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

S.J. posted:

Okay you loving game. I have a Sniper, two supports, a heavy, and two MEC snipers. I do not need two more loving squaddie snipers. gently caress you. That used to just be annoying but now it's even worse, I'd like to have a MEC that isn't a sniper at some point :(

So far in my current Classic/Ironman game, I've gotten: 1 assault, 1 sniper, 2 support, 5 heavies. I've had maps where I run 3 heavies just because it's all I have. Rockets galore though, I'm loving it. I'm just really concerned about my assault and supports being difficult to replace if they die. That sniper is useless, he's a squaddie with 65 accuracy. The only way he's going on a mission is if everyone else is dead or injured.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hammerstein posted:

If anyone wants the Colonel skills added to damage roulette you can simply edit the perks either to the .exe or the .ini, it works fine. Just got a Heavy with Resilience.

I've seen Colonel skills appear normally though. I've gotten Resiliance on Lts before. The only skills that are locked are Support's Smokes, Heavy's Rocket Launchers and inability to get Gunslinger, and Sniper's Sniping skills.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If have a good guess where a seeker is (or just have the opportunity immediately after detecting them) inflicting any sort of damage to them cancels their cloak. Huck a grenade.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you can't detect them through movement range holes, you can sometimes hear seekers moving around by breaking windows or opening doors.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ravendas posted:

So far in my current Classic/Ironman game, I've gotten: 1 assault, 1 sniper, 2 support, 5 heavies. I've had maps where I run 3 heavies just because it's all I have. Rockets galore though, I'm loving it. I'm just really concerned about my assault and supports being difficult to replace if they die. That sniper is useless, he's a squaddie with 65 accuracy. The only way he's going on a mission is if everyone else is dead or injured.

I'd be okay with heavies. I think Sniper is the worst class to be bombarded with.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Alkydere posted:

I've seen Colonel skills appear normally though. I've gotten Resiliance on Lts before. The only skills that are locked are Support's Smokes, Heavy's Rocket Launchers and inability to get Gunslinger, and Sniper's Sniping skills.

I went over the content again and you're right. Seems only those colonel skills which require a special weapon or class skill are not included, like Killer Instinct (which requires Run&Gun).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What file do I have to edit to add more nicknames to the random pool?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Alkydere posted:

I just unlocked Gunslinger on my Assault.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Hey nnnotime, I'm pretty sure I failed to activate my Clormal game, even though the log I skimmed seemed to indicate success (I don't remember $150 labs being a thing in normal difficulty). Anyway I tried the patch again and got this:

Did I mess up something on me end, or what?
No, you did not mess up anything. That error is from the ModHelper and occurs if you have already patched the EXE file. The batch file only has to be ran one time.

If you have support issues for Implassic then please raise them in the Nexus discussion threads:

http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/17/?...%3D808222&pUp=1

If you run Clormal you have to start a new game on Classic difficulty. I'll check into that $150 lab thing...

EDIT: My mod has no effect on facilities costs. I checked over the INI files and did not find anything that affects the cost of facilities by difficulty. That function may be something hard-coded in the UPK files.

Also, be sure you copied over the correct INI files. The installation for this mod requires a few file copy and rename steps unlike the last version (unfortunately).

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 14, 2013

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Does the upgraded MEC armor have more health or is it just new abilities?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eraflure posted:

I just unlocked Gunslinger on my Assault.

I was saying that Gunslinger is something that Heavies can't get. Mainly because they can't use pistols.

I've got a Gunslinger, Rapid Fire, Close Quarters Assault myself and the guy is a beast. He chewed through EXALT left and right as an operative.

Edit:

Veotax posted:

Does the upgraded MEC armor have more health or is it just new abilities?

New abilities. Basically, it's kind of like Psychic soldiers and their three abilities, only the MEC abilities are generally "blow more poo poo up" and can be transferred between soldiers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

New abilities. Basically, it's kind of like Psychic soldiers and their three abilities, only the MEC abilities are generally "blow more poo poo up" and can be transferred between soldiers.

They have more health too though!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo the Crysilids infecting a fishing ship was genuinely terrifying. I hope the other new missions can keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
More health and more abilities. A Tier 3 mech has twice the armor bonus of a tier 1 mech and adds a higher will bonus.

• Locked thread