Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Negromancer posted:

The best thing to take away from this is gently caress iptables. As long as you have your security groups setup correctly, you really should not need to run a software firewall.

Yea, trying to run a DB on a ec2 instance is terrible. That is the reason they have RDS offering now, but that is still only oracle/mysql/MSSQL only. I think they are going to start offering postgres eventually, but god knows when. You could probably get away with running postgres on one of the super huge EBS optimized instances, but they cost so much its really not worth it.

As much as I love AWS, its not the solution for everything and you really need to architect everything around its limitations. Granted, I mostly love running everything at my current job out of AWS since it means no datacenter to deal with.

The future is now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GargleBlaster posted:

Don't you 'SET' me! :stonk:

SET GARGLE=TCP

For the Americans who probably won't get this joke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichlorophenylmethyliodosalicyl

Lum fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 14, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Lum posted:

SET GARGLE=TCP

For the Americans who probably won't get this joke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichlorophenylmethyliodosalicyl

Wikipedia posted:

Care should be taken not to swallow TCP. If one starts to feel unwell after using TCP, one should see a medical practitioner immediately. TCP should not be used on cats

Best warnings ever.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I did a little dance when I saw this, now I have an excuse to try AWS.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Best warnings ever.

I would love to know the thought process involved with someone trying to make a cat gargle. Anything I can imagine seems more like cat water boarding than cat gargling...

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

mewse posted:

The words "While you're here" are pretty deadly

It's how I frequently get roped in to week-long projects that weren't on our radar or doing someone else's job for them (I just finished doing our marketing department's job for them earlier this week because of this phrase). Things pissing me off today: doing other departments jobs for them. No, sorry, I don't get paid enough to go through all of our photos and decide which ones are good marketing material.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Agrikk posted:

I would love to know the thought process involved with someone trying to make a cat gargle. Anything I can imagine seems more like cat water boarding than cat gargling...

Sorry to ruin your ideas of Brits water-boarding their cats with disinfecant, but TCP is a general disinfectant (not just for gargling) so it's probably more "don't use it to disinfect your cat's wounds as your cat will lick it off and then die".

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

rolleyes posted:

Sorry to ruin your ideas of Brits water-boarding their cats with disinfecant, but TCP is a general disinfectant (not just for gargling) so it's probably more "don't use it to disinfect your cat's wounds as your cat will lick it off and then die".

Hah hah hah! Well okay then, that makes more sense. The things you learn from an IT bitching thread...

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

GargleBlaster posted:

Made me giggle when I was 10.
Sadly, once you've hit the point where you see at least one lorry a day driving around with "Fukushita" written on the side (I never managed to read further to see what it was they did, that was enough to set me off laughing) the bar ends up raised.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Pffffft
(Speaking of being 10, I used to call that stuff TCPIP, yes I'd heard of TCP/IP back then as my dad used it for packet radio gateways)

I have nothing further to add, but Agrikk's avatar and title seems highly relevant to this discussion.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I have been furious at OpenText for a year or so now for being completely incapable of providing any sort of useful support.

They just added the ability for clients to open priority 1 tickets and to escalate tickets to management.

:getin:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Holy poo poo I just dealt with the new Linksys config interface and gently caress. that. Everything takes three times as long as it should, and it doesn't show you all sorts of handy info like the loving WAN IP.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Holy poo poo I just dealt with the new Linksys config interface and gently caress. that. Everything takes three times as long as it should, and it doesn't show you all sorts of handy info like the loving WAN IP.
There isn't a moanmyip tab?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

underlig posted:

There isn't a moanmyip tab?
It ended up not really being a problem since I was having to set the thing up double-NAT'd behind an ISP's modem/router combo unit, and I was trying to DMZ the thing, so I had to assign it a static one anyway. But still, how do you not have that info show up somewhere?

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Pissing me off: IT people in a remote location not knowing how to use an RDS licensing server, thereby costing us thousands of dollars.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Had an important issue emailed to me late in the afternoon on a Friday even though the person has known it was an issue all week.

Cool, will look at it on Monday. gently caress you.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Not pissing me off: one of my guys has been building a project request form / workflow / dashboard for our team. He called it Project Intake Management Platform.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 16, 2013

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

DGK2000 posted:

Pissing me off: IT people in a remote location not knowing how to use an RDS licensing server, thereby costing us thousands of dollars.

How did their fuckup cost you?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
gently caress How does a VCAP-DCA and VCAP-DCD instruct you on "do it this way" and you STILL gently caress it up??? YAY AM phone calls!

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Guesticles posted:

How did their fuckup cost you?

Work for a Non-profit charter school. We're funded by providing work samples, and we use an online curriculum. We use zero clients, and they weren't receiving RDS cals. Because some idiot didn't know how to properly configure it. Despite insisting he does this for a living and knows Server 2012.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

gently caress How does a VCAP-DCA and VCAP-DCD instruct you on "do it this way" and you STILL gently caress it up??? YAY AM phone calls!

Why did you get involved?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Maybe they don't automatically respect what you say because of certifications.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh wow. I've taken over as my new employer's first actual IT Manager. I'm whiling away a Saturday afternoon reading service contracts. Here's one with a few gems.

* A "full detail" invoice costs $14.95
* They have an encrypted fax number for sending in credit card details.

I asked these folks about adding a new user account. They said 5 business days, then said "it might only take 3, but sometimes it takes 5 so we only promise that". Out of the goodness of their hearts they initiated the process to allow us to add accounts by an email request. This requires their Legal department to generate a contract addendum.

I also found one huge chunk of leverage. Never mind the Earth, I can shift Jupiter with this.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
So if I want an invoice from your company, it's costs me 15 bucks? gently caress you guys!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Swink posted:

So if I want an invoice from your company, it's costs me 15 bucks? gently caress you guys!

Unable to issue payment due to lack of submitted invoice.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Well, I have now seen a Harris SS7 switching system I'm pretty sure was older than me and is still in production. :stare:

We currently have a pair of rotary dial telephones hooked up to our Avaya phone system. Each of those phones is older then a significant percentage of the employees in the building.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

The Fool posted:

Unable to issue payment due to lack of submitted invoice.
Noice.

A bill for the bill. I like it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CitizenKain posted:

We currently have a pair of rotary dial telephones hooked up to our Avaya phone system. Each of those phones is older then a significant percentage of the employees in the building.

Why would a modern phone system that isn't "the phone company" still support pulse dialing? :psyduck:

Were they really nerds' phones that were retrofitted to DTMF?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Volmarias posted:

Why would a modern phone system that isn't "the phone company" still support pulse dialing? :psyduck:

Why not? It doesn't break anything (unless you are a certain type of payphone) besides the CO still needs to monitor loop disconnects anyway, so why not?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Because manufacturing plants in the middle of nowhere still have that one guard shack where all the trucks making night deliveries have to stop that has a rotary phone. They are too cheap to replace it, but if Jimmy the night guard can't call 911 when his coronary arteries finally congeal, then it could AFFECT PRODUCTION.

I support Avaya stuff and I had to look up if the newest stuff supports pulse dialing. It does.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Because manufacturing plants in the middle of nowhere still have that one guard shack where all the trucks making night deliveries have to stop that has a rotary phone. They are too cheap to replace it, but if Jimmy the night guard can't call 911 when his coronary arteries finally congeal, then it could AFFECT PRODUCTION.

I support Avaya stuff and I had to look up if the newest stuff supports pulse dialing. It does.

Over here in Euroland I think the operators stopped supporting pulse dialing around 2005.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nitrogen posted:

Why not? It doesn't break anything (unless you are a certain type of payphone) besides the CO still needs to monitor loop disconnects anyway, so why not?

But that's like saying "why NOT support 486s in our newest kernel?" Sure, you can keep compatibility around for literally anything, but at some point you have to just let go.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Crowley posted:

Over here in Euroland I think the operators stopped supporting pulse dialing around 2005.

Yeah, but PBX's are a whole different thing. With the newest equipment, your rotary phone connects to a card in a cabinet (or gateway) that converts everything to voip anyway. Analog is not going anywhere anytime soon (thanks modems and faxes!) and it is pretty simple to have the analog cards support pulse.

Please do not ask me about Modem or Fax Over IP, although FOIP is pretty much the sound I make when I get a Fax ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a reason to use FoIP when email gateways are a thing that aren't poo poo and are dirt cheap?

Edit: The place I worked at last had a multifunction fax printer thing connected to a Cisco ATA and nothing set on it specially for fax / data. 6 minutes per page and it looked like trash.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Caged posted:

Is there a reason to use FoIP when email gateways are a thing that aren't poo poo and are dirt cheap?

Edit: The place I worked at last had a multifunction fax printer thing connected to a Cisco ATA and nothing set on it specially for fax / data. 6 minutes per page and it looked like trash.

Not sure how an email gateway compares to fax, but in some places, a fax has more legal standing than an email. That and people have large installed bases of faxes that they want to keep using. There are fax servers that send the fax over voip, but they still do T.38 so a far end fax can receive.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

There isn't anything really special about it, Avaya makes adapters for analog phones.

They were originally pulled out of storage to mess with people during phone demos. When people arrived to get a demo for the new phone system and see what we were replacing a 12+ year old NEC system with and we revealed the new phones as a 30 year old rotary phone.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Yeah, but PBX's are a whole different thing. With the newest equipment, your rotary phone connects to a card in a cabinet (or gateway) that converts everything to voip anyway. Analog is not going anywhere anytime soon (thanks modems and faxes!) and it is pretty simple to have the analog cards support pulse.

Please do not ask me about Modem or Fax Over IP, although FOIP is pretty much the sound I make when I get a Fax ticket.

I must be sheltered then. Even in pig farms I've only seen tone dialing equipment since the turn of the millennium.

(Temperature control alarm, so the piggies don't freeze to death during winter if the furnace cuts out)

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Do you happen to own a pig farm?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Never trust a man who owns a pig farm........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I'm sorry, did someone say...certifications?!? :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!