Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

So, I'm in charge of maintaining a bunch of videos for a student club. As it stands now, we have a bunch of videos we don't want to delete, but they're in a variety of formats and sizes. Is there a good way to... I dunno, do something like "IF a video is bigger than <certain dimensions> or <size for how long the video is>, THEN convert to a different format or smaller dimensions"? I don't know a ton about video converting, but I know they don't want to just dump everything in a .rar or whatever, they want it to be accessible, the videos are just taking up way too much space, and they don't need all hi-def videos. I'd really rather not have to go through and compress every video individually :saddowns:

So, I guess what I'm asking is: uh, is that a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Doomsayer posted:

So, I'm in charge of maintaining a bunch of videos for a student club. As it stands now, we have a bunch of videos we don't want to delete, but they're in a variety of formats and sizes. Is there a good way to... I dunno, do something like "IF a video is bigger than <certain dimensions> or <size for how long the video is>, THEN convert to a different format or smaller dimensions"? I don't know a ton about video converting, but I know they don't want to just dump everything in a .rar or whatever, they want it to be accessible, the videos are just taking up way too much space, and they don't need all hi-def videos. I'd really rather not have to go through and compress every video individually :saddowns:

The problem is, every video probably has different dimensions and quality. Even the codec matters. It may be a 1GB video in a low resolution looking poo poo, or a 1GB video in a much higher resolution looking pretty good. There is no standard. If you're talking about a lot of videos, and you don't want to judge each video, it's probably best to use a DVD as a back-up solution (storage) and leave it there.

Otherwise, I guess you will have to decide. You can easily bulk convert them, but you'll still have to check the quality afterwards.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Doomsayer posted:

Handbrake. You'll have to do a little organizing and fiddling to start, but then you can just add all the files to the queue and convert them to mkv or mp4. Why not just upload the files to Youtube or something?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

WorkingStiff posted:

Handbrake. You'll have to do a little organizing and fiddling to start, but then you can just add all the files to the queue and convert them to mkv or mp4. Why not just upload the files to Youtube or something?

v:v:v I don't make the rules. I gave them several alternate suggestions but nope, this is the way it's gotta be. Local files, no online backup or extra drives. Because gently caress sanity, apparently. I'll at least standardize everything to .mkv or .mp4 (will there be a big size difference between formats?) and tweak as needed.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 10, 2013

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Doomsayer posted:

v:v:v I don't make the rules. I gave them several alternate suggestions but nope, this is the way it's gotta be. Local files, no online backup or extra drives. Because gently caress sanity, apparently. I'll at least standardize everything to .mkv or .mp4 (will there be a big size difference between formats?) and tweak as needed.

Handbrake can definitely make your files smaller.

Bluntly, they are not giving you the proper resources for what they are asking. The videos can't be that important if they are considering bulk lossy down-sampling to a compressed format when hard drives are cheaper than ever. A 3TB drive is like $120. After the time & labor to convert the files they have lost money. I cannot emphasize enough: the time it takes to encode video will probably make you change your mind.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I grabbed the Powerprep II software from ETS's website to start getting ready for the GRE. However, this software is apparently really lovely and won't run properly - when I try to run the .bat to launch the test (since IE just hangs), I get an error message that Windows can't find .\jre\bin\java.exe. However, that file does exist in the local path, and I have the most recent version of Java installed. What can I do to fix this?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

hooah posted:

I grabbed the Powerprep II software from ETS's website to start getting ready for the GRE. However, this software is apparently really lovely and won't run properly - when I try to run the .bat to launch the test (since IE just hangs), I get an error message that Windows can't find .\jre\bin\java.exe. However, that file does exist in the local path, and I have the most recent version of Java installed. What can I do to fix this?

OS? Are you running the .bat as an administrator? If Win7, Try XP Mode.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Whoops. Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. I just now tried running it as an administrator, and nothing happened. I can't try XP Mode because it's not available on my OS version.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

WorkingStiff posted:

Handbrake can definitely make your files smaller.

Bluntly, they are not giving you the proper resources for what they are asking. The videos can't be that important if they are considering bulk lossy down-sampling to a compressed format when hard drives are cheaper than ever. A 3TB drive is like $120. After the time & labor to convert the files they have lost money. I cannot emphasize enough: the time it takes to encode video will probably make you change your mind.

Preaching to the choir man. I'm a volunteer and will probably just tell them it's not worth it (student clubs aren't exactly flush), but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

hooah posted:

Whoops. Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. I just now tried running it as an administrator, and nothing happened. I can't try XP Mode because it's not available on my OS version.

Don't all versions of Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 have XP Compatibility Mode?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Diviance posted:

Don't all versions of Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 have XP Compatibility Mode?

Vista no, 7 only Professional and Ultimate, and 8 technically doesn't have it but you can create a VM to do it.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Medullah posted:

Vista no, 7 only Professional and Ultimate, and 8 technically doesn't have it but you can create a VM to do it.

I meant XP Compatibility Mode, not the thing that Microsoft called XP Mode which was just an XP VM built into more expensive versions of 7.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Diviance posted:

I meant XP Compatibility Mode, not the thing that Microsoft called XP Mode which was just an XP VM built into more expensive versions of 7.

Yes, it is built in to all versions. That won't resolve his problem, as it was code originally written on IE6. Hooah, Powerprep will run in the browser, you just have to dick with the security settings.

Medullah posted:

FYI, the XP Mode VHD file will not activate in Windows 8, if that matters to anyone.

WorkingStiff fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 11, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The problem ended up being that I'd installed it on my second drive, and I guess the developers didn't anticipate that. Uninstalled and reinstalled to the same drive as my Windows install and it works fine.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

hooah posted:

The problem ended up being that I'd installed it on my second drive, and I guess the developers didn't anticipate that. Uninstalled and reinstalled to the same drive as my Windows install and it works fine.

Just out of curiosity, did you try to run it in compatibility mode?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WorkingStiff posted:

Just out of curiosity, did you try to run it in compatibility mode?

The actual launcher is a web page (that has to open with IE), so I couldn't apply compatibility mode to that. I tried applying it to the batch files that actually launch the practice tests, and while I didn't get any errors, nothing else happened, either.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

hooah posted:

Absolutely too late to the party here, but there's two things always tripping me up in batch files:

1. quotes around paths, when, where and how many?
2. what's the current working directory?

Seems to me that a relative path can't jump from one drive to another, which, looking at your later post, could be a problem with number two. You could possibly have made the reference to Java absolute, changed the current working directory in a shortcut (if the batch file is called that way) or added some cd (change directory) commands at the start of the batchfile itself.

Since the file exists in local path (I assume you mean like in the environment variable %PATH%), directing the batch file to a working directory of any folder on the C drive might have sufficed.

Possibly. Probably.

EDIT vvvv Oh. Okay then.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 12, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well the screwy thing is that they included an entire Java directory in the Powerprep folder, so (I think) it should have been looking in the local directory, but it still wasn't finding it.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I used to be able to access my virtualbox server by using http://wheezy.local but since I mucked around with Win 7 services, I no longer can do that. Using http://192.168.56.2/ instead still works though. I'm not sure what I disabled, and how to fix this.

EDIT: AFAIK I only disabled Bonjour and Google Update, but what do I know.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 12, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can you ping it? Is it in your hosts file?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Can you ping it? Is it in your hosts file?

Can't ping it, and it's not in my hosts file. On the other hand I don't remember adding it to the hosts file, or modifying the hosts file lately.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ooh, I know Bonjour uses .local domains to communicate with other local computers. That may have been the reason you could use it in the first place.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Ooh, I know Bonjour uses .local domains to communicate with other local computers. That may have been the reason you could use it in the first place.

Hahaha oh god you are right. So this all worked because of a pure coincidence? Wow, I'm really a computer whizz. /hangs head in shame, leaves the nerd club.

e: thanks for the help!

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
So my new laptop is arriving today, and I will be buried in its guts by midnight, but before then, I'd like to get a few things straight:

Should I immediately install Win8.1 on the system? (It will come with Win8 afaik)

Is a USB recovery drive (made using Win8s recovery tool) enough of a safeguard against accidental OS flubbery? Is there a better option? I do not have the discs / This laptop does not have a disc drive.

Is Macrium Reflect still the suggested program for copying an existing Win8 partition onto a SSD?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is it correct that the only way to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 while keeping all your apps/preferences is to upgrade first to Windows 8 and then go to Windows 8.1?

I know I can clean upgrade to Windows 8.1, but if I do that, can I use my Windows backup to selectively reinstall programs?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Maybe this isn't the right thread for this (and if not I'll happily be pointed in the right direction) but do you guys have any idea why the "share calendar" button isn't showing up in OWA? We just moved exchange e-mail in-house and it's great for local users, and while remote users are able to get shared calendars, they can't send them out. They aren't using the light version, if that helps.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

fookolt posted:

Is it correct that the only way to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 while keeping all your apps/preferences is to upgrade first to Windows 8 and then go to Windows 8.1?

I know I can clean upgrade to Windows 8.1, but if I do that, can I use my Windows backup to selectively reinstall programs?

Okay, so I found out that yes, this is the only way to do this.

Another question: how do I figure out why restarting Windows 8 means I have to stare at the black screen with the blue Windows logo and the spinny white progress thing for a few minutes? My startups with Windows 7 were ridiculously fast.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I have to browse a shared drive that's also accessed by iOS users. The issue here is that iOS creates a "cache" file that is preceeded by "._". For example, I'll see:

._Proposal.pdf
._proposal-draft-11-6.pdf
Proposal.pdf
proposal-draft-11-6.pdf

The first two entries are only 4kb and are not normally accessible. This is more annoying than anything else, since relatively large folders get stupid cluttered. Is there any way for me to hide these from view when I'm using Win7?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

I have to browse a shared drive that's also accessed by iOS users. The issue here is that iOS creates a "cache" file that is preceeded by "._". For example, I'll see:

._Proposal.pdf
._proposal-draft-11-6.pdf
Proposal.pdf
proposal-draft-11-6.pdf

The first two entries are only 4kb and are not normally accessible. This is more annoying than anything else, since relatively large folders get stupid cluttered. Is there any way for me to hide these from view when I'm using Win7?

I may be completely off-base with iOS here, but when Windows generates similar temp files they are tagged as hidden. Going to folder options, view, and selecting 'don't show hidden files, folders, or drives' prevents them from displaying if those iOS temp files are hidden as well.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I understand that most Cloud File Storage services offer file versioning, but can any do bulk restoring of files to an earlier date?

We're thinking of moving our small business to Google Apps, but I use the free version of Google Drive and it strictly allows restoring files on a per-file basis, which is obviously inconvenient if you have 4000 files.

I'm mostly worried about stuff like CryptLocker hitting us and the latest version of all our files being encrypted both locally and online.

If Google Apps doesn't do it, does CrashPlan or any other file service? It seems CrashPlan does but the wording is vague enought that I can't be sure.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 14, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rick posted:

Maybe this isn't the right thread for this (and if not I'll happily be pointed in the right direction) but do you guys have any idea why the "share calendar" button isn't showing up in OWA? We just moved exchange e-mail in-house and it's great for local users, and while remote users are able to get shared calendars, they can't send them out. They aren't using the light version, if that helps.

Are they opening OWA in Internet Explorer? There are a bunch of options and features that don't work in other browsers.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I may be completely off-base with iOS here, but when Windows generates similar temp files they are tagged as hidden. Going to folder options, view, and selecting 'don't show hidden files, folders, or drives' prevents them from displaying if those iOS temp files are hidden as well.

Sadly they're not tagged as hidden, otherwise this would've been a very elegant solution.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

Sadly they're not tagged as hidden, otherwise this would've been a very elegant solution.

If you have the rights, it would take something like a two or three line script to mark them as hidden yourself, which can then be scheduled to run regularly.

That said, don't gently caress around on a shared drive if you're not the admin.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you have the rights, it would take something like a two or three line script to mark them as hidden yourself, which can then be scheduled to run regularly.

That said, don't gently caress around on a shared drive if you're not the admin.

That's what I figured the solution would be. I spoke to IT at my school but they were very :effort:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Alright, I ran into an interesting problem. Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, happy to repost it elsewhere if there's somewhere more appropriate.

Running Windows 8 (not 8.1) on a PC I built myself. I can dig up the full specs if need be, but:

ASRock Z77 Mobo
Intel Core i7-2600k (I think)
AMD 7950
SanDisk Extreme 256GB SSD
2x WD 1TB HDDs
CD-DVD RW
Antec PSU from the recommendation thread here

I was running low on space on my SSD and went to delete some stuff. Decided to start with games I haven't played in awhile, so I deleted Skyrim. Computer hardlocks - the mouse will move, just barely, the keyboard is nonresponsive. After letting it sit like that for several minutes, I hit the reset button as there was no more activity. In hindsight, this was probably a mistake, but I thought it was the safest option since I couldn't ctrl-alt-delete or pull up any menus.

Now, Windows crash while it initializes. Even trying to boot into safe mode. At this point I figure Skyrim yanked a critical Windows file when it went to uninstall, so I went for my Windows install disk to repair.

Here's where it gets weird. It's a Windows 8 machine and always has been, and my Windows 8 install disk, but for some reason the disk is detecting the machine as being Windows Vista. I have the option to repair it, but I'm concerned that will just cause more damage.

Normally I'd just wipe and reinstall, no big deal, but unfortunately my e-mail hasn't been backed up recently as I've been travelling for work. There is nothing else on the SSD I care about, everything else is either on my storage drives, has been backed up recently enough, or can be downloaded again.

tl;dr: Windows 8 machine hardlocks during uninstall of Skyrim, Windows will no longer initialize, Windows 8 install disc detects machine as Windows Vista. Next step?

Edit: On further review, it looks like my SSD is failing after 11 months. I kept the firmware up to date, and ran the recommended settings to minimize writes (I thought), so either I missed something or I got unlucky. Oh well.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 14, 2013

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
I don't think I've really ever heard of a modern uninstaller taking out Windows as it uninstalls an application - my initial suspicion is an SSD issue. I would personally recommend opening a thread in the Haus of Tech Support.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Earl of Lavender posted:

I don't think I've really ever heard of a modern uninstaller taking out Windows as it uninstalls an application - my initial suspicion is an SSD issue. I would personally recommend opening a thread in the Haus of Tech Support.

CCP once released an EVE patch that deleted boot.ini.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Haha, oh dear. And I guess there was that (tangentially related) thing with some anti-virus definition update that matched critical files a while back. Still, I imagine we would have heard more about it if Skyrim was crippling people's systems on uninstall.

Earl of Lavender fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 14, 2013

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hey thread, wondering if anyone has advice on something fun to play around with.

I've got one of them fancy Surface 2 Pros and I'm going on vacation next week with few plans except lazing around on the beach. I'd like to know of any fun, easy-to-use programs to play with; like music creating/editing, drawing, wordplay, or whatever. I'm looking specifically for non-professional type stuff; like Mario Paint-ish levels of complexity. Basically anything fun and creativity-inducing and not too video-gamey.

I haven't yet checked out the MS Store but I'll hear any recommendations from there or anywhere else in x86 land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I understand that most Cloud File Storage services offer file versioning, but can any do bulk restoring of files to an earlier date?

If Google Apps doesn't do it, does CrashPlan or any other file service? It seems CrashPlan does but the wording is vague enought that I can't be sure.
I haven't tried any time recently, and I'm not at my home computer to verify, but I believe CrashPlan can do this. IMO it's the best online backup service there is.