Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The criticism of Origins is the lack of ambition

...wellllllll, there is that, yes.

But there's also the bugs, the questionable progression of skill unlocks, and various subjective or hard to qualify (but oft-repeated) complaints that the core gameplay just doesn't flow as well - like camera and timing issues during combat, or an overabundance of snipers in sandbox areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I started re-re-re-re-replaying AA and it's so much fun. The aesthetic is completely different from AC and AO and rather refreshing; once I hit all the Riddler stuff and finish the challenges for the ninetieth time I'm sure I'll be ready to replay AC.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

TechnoSyndrome posted:

It really bums me out that they apparently removed this as a costume from the game. You were originally supposed to unlock it once you've gotten 100%, but people who did have reported you don't unlock anything.

Really? I've been playing towards %100 in hopes of unlocking that as a costume. Any chance it'll get patched back in?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've double checked and the predator challenge to beat up the bad guys with your bare hands doesn't work on the rooftops like some of the others do. I tested it on a couple of rooftops in Burnley including the GCPD rooftop but no dice.

I know some people have claimed you can do some of them on the roofs but i'm pretty sure it's either bugged (PC version) or it only applies to some of the challenges (obviously not the ones that involve grates/vents/walls/etc).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Do Ranks carry over to New Game+.

I really am kind of pissed off that I missed the one single map that the rank is apparently possible on.

gently caress, at least City had a few replayable Predator rooms without having to restart.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Toffile posted:

I really am kind of pissed off that I missed the one single map that the rank is apparently possible on.

gently caress, at least City had a few replayable Predator rooms without having to restart.

Yeah they do. If it's the sixth one with four unique takedowns, the bank is a great place to do that. You come through there on the storyline and I believe deadshots sidemission is there also. It's possible to do all the predator challenges in a single runthrough of the game, so this won't mess with your IATN run if you're thinking of doing that.

It sucks that some of the predator challenges only let you know if you completed them at the same time as the game is autosaving after the encounter is over.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

myname_isdoug posted:

...wellllllll, there is that, yes.

But there's also the bugs, the questionable progression of skill unlocks, and various subjective or hard to qualify (but oft-repeated) complaints that the core gameplay just doesn't flow as well - like camera and timing issues during combat, or an overabundance of snipers in sandbox areas.

Well yeah. But I wasn't making a checklist of all the minor problems or missteps, just addressing the reasoning behind the critical response that made them think it would be less enjoyable to play the games in release order. It's a weaker game than City in all of those areas, but its not weaker in any material degree they might have inferred from reviewers.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Toffile posted:

It's still bullshit, but there's at least a second map you can get rank... 6?... on. Blackgate

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Started New Game+ Where's the first room I can do the propane take predator challenge?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I think maybe the GCPD building.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Soonmot posted:

Started New Game+ Where's the first room I can do the propane take predator challenge?

Earliest I can remember is the GCPD Bullpen.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Any combat room with a propane tank will work. Just knock two guys down while a third stands next to them, zip line the standing thug into the propane tank. 3 dudes down and challenge complete.

Kin posted:

I've double checked and the predator challenge to beat up the bad guys with your bare hands doesn't work on the rooftops like some of the others do. I tested it on a couple of rooftops in Burnley including the GCPD rooftop but no dice.

I know some people have claimed you can do some of them on the roofs but i'm pretty sure it's either bugged (PC version) or it only applies to some of the challenges (obviously not the ones that involve grates/vents/walls/etc).

That is the worst challenge of all of them. It DOES work on rooftops, but is very finicky in a predator room or rooftop. I got mine on top of the Sionis steel mill (the roof of the building, not the entrance with the milti-level stairs) after several tries on the GCPD roof and the drug lab inside the mill. I also got the last combat challange (50+ hit w/ 15 variations) like 5 minutes after completing the fight itself, so the challange system is just loving stupid. Just keep trying.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 14, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

Any combat room with a propane tank will work. Just knock two guys down while a third stands next to them, zip line the standing thug into the propane tank. 3 dudes down and challenge complete.

That is the worst challenge of all of them. It DOES work on rooftops, but is very finicky in a predator room or rooftop. I got mine on top of the Sionis steel mill (the roof of the building, not the entrance with the milti-level stairs) after several tries on the GCPD roof and the drug lab inside the mill. I also got the last combat challange (50+ hit w/ 15 variations) like 5 minutes after completing the fight itself, so the challange system is just loving stupid. Just keep trying.

I think that last combat challenge keeps track of the three different conditions separately. I had gotten a 15 variation combo after unlocking that challenge, but didn't hit the 50 hit until much later and, as soon as that fight ended, I got the credit.

Are propane tanks the red ones that guys can throw or the big standing ones? I thought it was supposed to be the standing ones.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Soonmot posted:

I think that last combat challenge keeps track of the three different conditions separately. I had gotten a 15 variation combo after unlocking that challenge, but didn't hit the 50 hit until much later and, as soon as that fight ended, I got the credit.

Are propane tanks the red ones that guys can throw or the big standing ones? I thought it was supposed to be the standing ones.

Nope the little gas grill red propane tanks are the ones that work. I didn't even know there were larger ones unless you are refering to the titan vats/black mask drugs(same shape and texture as AC) related to his sidequest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7APAAzwKH9A#t=1654

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of the propane tanks, are there any just lying out in the open, or do I have to keep plugging away at the NG+ story to find one in a room?

Edit: Also, it's really annoying that whenever you exit and start again, you go back to the default costume. If I'm in the middle of a mission, I can 't go back to the Batcave to change it back to the Red Son costume...not cool.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
There is a propane tank right before the GCPD bullpen. I got that challenge in New Game+ and it was so easy that it was like they set up that room for that specific purpose. You have to grapnel up on top of some locked double doors and you look down on a group of cops in front of what might be the front desk. They are all standing around talking and there is a propane tank right next to them. I was able to complete challenge 14 in that room in my New Game+ playthrough and then challenge 15 right afterward in the GCPD bullpen.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

I dunno what to tell you, but i just tried that rooftop then tried all of the gun manned rooftops in the nearby vicinity and nothing. You might have got it inside the drug lab and it's just been a bugged delay in giving it to you.

I got the final combat challenge one over the course of the first 2 fights in black gate (it popped after i did basic fighting against the second small group of 3 guys). The whole thing is bugged as gently caress.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So how much of a buggy mess is this still? Are some of the unlock objective things still completely broken for people?

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Fuzz posted:

So how much of a buggy mess is this still? Are some of the unlock objective things still completely broken for people?

Most of the bugs are patched. I didn't run into a single problem in my New Game+ or I Am the Night playthroughs, including the Burnley Tower vent and Mad Hatter's side mission. Apparently some people are still having some problems with save corruption, but I haven't run into that... yet...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jurgan posted:

Anyone else annoyed by the "auto-detonation" on the explosive gel? I mean, I'd like it sometimes, but once you activate it you can never turn it off. I remember spraying a couple walls in the Deadshot fight and waiting for him to walk by so I could trigger it, but every time one of his goons set it off instead.

If I remember correctly from Arkham City, if you do the RS zoom in thing, you can target gels individually to explode them whenever you want.
edit: oh, you mean the proximity ones. I'm not sure about that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 15, 2013

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kin posted:

I dunno what to tell you, but i just tried that rooftop then tried all of the gun manned rooftops in the nearby vicinity and nothing. You might have got it inside the drug lab and it's just been a bugged delay in giving it to you.

I got the final combat challenge one over the course of the first 2 fights in black gate (it popped after i did basic fighting against the second small group of 3 guys). The whole thing is bugged as gently caress.

Are you going gung-ho and just whooping the poo poo out of them like Batman does in every other medium? Because to make it work you still have to separate the individuals from the group and beat them up one by one.

In the video I linked earlier it shows that sometimes you can get lucky by beating the poo poo out of a single sniper, but it's not super reliable.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Nope. Still can't unlock Shadow Vigilante Rank 9.

Ugh, gently caress this buggy poo poo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Hey, I just found out that if you hit RB with the Batclaw instead of RT, it does a sort of "chase cam" for it. Never knew that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey, I just found out that if you hit RB with the Batclaw instead of RT, it does a sort of "chase cam" for it. Never knew that.
Same with the batarang (even the regular one). Been in since AA, might've been undocumented or just not really advertised.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Is it weird if I spend 30 minutes bonking a goon with a batarang trying to kill him and send him flying in funny ways?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

washow posted:

Is it weird if I spend 30 minutes bonking a goon with a batarang trying to kill him and send him flying in funny ways?
I did that times about 6 for the AC extreme predator room that had a "don't take any damage" medal. (That was before I learned you could take armour damage no problem on that level and still get it).

That and ledge pulls with the Batclaw. Good times.

Also has anyone ever had Distruptor misfires? Consumes the 'shot' but doesn't seem to do anything. This is even on enemies that ONLY have a gun, nothing else.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

washow posted:

I tend to do it all the time. Hell I did that in AA. The enemy "splashed" into the water and was totally fine. Sure.

I knew what batman really did. :v:

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
I do it whenever I find a spot with a staircase or a ladder. If you make them fall down a story, they die so I just use the remote batarang to corner them up and then send them flying

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Personally, I'm a fan of the multi-batarang takedown. It sends enemies flying so far. Sure, you could knock one guy off a railing with a batarang, but I'd rather launch three off a building.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
How the gently caress do you unlock the thing where you lure someone into a takedown with a Sonic Batarang? I've tried putting them under gargoyles and then doing a takedown, putting them by destructible walls and then blowing them up, and also putting them by glue grenade mines and then doing a "glue smash" (ugh) takedown. Is there something I'm missing here?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This is a minor question, but anyone having issues connecting to the Warner ID? I got the game the other day, but every time I tried logging in I get "servers are down".

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

Are you going gung-ho and just whooping the poo poo out of them like Batman does in every other medium? Because to make it work you still have to separate the individuals from the group and beat them up one by one.

In the video I linked earlier it shows that sometimes you can get lucky by beating the poo poo out of a single sniper, but it's not super reliable.

Usually. it's swoop in, cape stun, beatdown then dodging over to the other guy, cape stun beat down.

If there's more than 1, after i take out the first guy with a beatdown and get detected, i drop a smoke pellet and then cape stun/beatdown the other 2.

It works perfectly in the first predator room in the penguins ship on New Game+, so the rooftops are bugged or something. Or however you got it is bugged.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Quine Connoisseur posted:

How the gently caress do you unlock the thing where you lure someone into a takedown with a Sonic Batarang? I've tried putting them under gargoyles and then doing a takedown, putting them by destructible walls and then blowing them up, and also putting them by glue grenade mines and then doing a "glue smash" (ugh) takedown. Is there something I'm missing here?

take a guy down loudly, find vantage point, throw batarang in path of dude rushing to check on the fallen guy, when he gets close detonate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

With the Sonic Batarang, it only counts if you do the takedown (drop behind them and do a silent takedown is best in my experience) in the window between them commenting on the batarang once they find it and then destroying it.

When you first throw it, somebody will react with something like,"What's that noise?" They'll then approach the batarang and say something like,"I think it's Batman's?" Then they may say something else before either shooting it or stomping on it. If you do the takedown before they comment or after they destroy the batarang, it doesn't count.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick and you're actually trying to do the "blow up an investigating thug with a sonic batarang" challenge, then the same thing applies only with "blow up the batarang" replacing "do a takedown".

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Rirse posted:

This is a minor question, but anyone having issues connecting to the Warner ID? I got the game the other day, but every time I tried logging in I get "servers are down".

Because I used the communal goon WBID for injustice I am unable to ever link a wbid to my account. Does anyone know the login details for that thing? With it I can try to unlink it from my system.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

With the Sonic Batarang, it only counts if you do the takedown (drop behind them and do a silent takedown is best in my experience) in the window between them commenting on the batarang once they find it and then destroying it.

Don't forget you need to do it three times. The challenge list is bad at telling you this, IIRC the only indication it needs to be done thrice is the "0/3" in the upper corner that's easy to miss.

Currently, I'm stuck at the propane challenge one.

For the life of me, I can't get the goons to stay clumped together enough for it to work. I can lure three of them to one spot easy enough (I typically use a sonic to lure a fourth guy, then do a loud take-down on him to get the remaining three to run to that spot.)

But then getting two of the guys to be on the floor always ends up either spreading them too far from each other, or too far from the third guy who the tank hits. best I've gotten is 2/3.

What's the best way to get the two to go down, but not be knocked out, and stay put? I typically throw a couple bataransg at them, but that always sends them flying too far. I can't figure out a surefire way to make them on the ground. I read a thing that said use the remote claw to smash them together, but I can't get that to work. The remote claw ALWAYS defaults to wanting to smash one guy into the nearby propane tank...I can never get it to want to smash the guys together.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SnipeShow posted:

Because I used the communal goon WBID for injustice I am unable to ever link a wbid to my account. Does anyone know the login details for that thing? With it I can try to unlink it from my system.

You have to go to the Gotham City Impostors site for some reason to unlink your WBID from Arkham Origins.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

raditts posted:

You have to go to the Gotham City Impostors site for some reason to unlink your WBID from Arkham Origins.

Yes but I would have to know the injustice login to do so.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't forget you need to do it three times. The challenge list is bad at telling you this, IIRC the only indication it needs to be done thrice is the "0/3" in the upper corner that's easy to miss.

Currently, I'm stuck at the propane challenge one.

For the life of me, I can't get the goons to stay clumped together enough for it to work. I can lure three of them to one spot easy enough (I typically use a sonic to lure a fourth guy, then do a loud take-down on him to get the remaining three to run to that spot.)

But then getting two of the guys to be on the floor always ends up either spreading them too far from each other, or too far from the third guy who the tank hits. best I've gotten is 2/3.

What's the best way to get the two to go down, but not be knocked out, and stay put? I typically throw a couple bataransg at them, but that always sends them flying too far. I can't figure out a surefire way to make them on the ground. I read a thing that said use the remote claw to smash them together, but I can't get that to work. The remote claw ALWAYS defaults to wanting to smash one guy into the nearby propane tank...I can never get it to want to smash the guys together.

I linked a video earlier that should help. Basically, the easiest way is to use combat rooms with propane tanks, knock down two guys next to propane tank (which is easy if you just stand next to it. Wait for another guy to approach you and the other two... then zipline the third guy into a propane tank and all three are down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DrBouvenstein posted:

The remote claw ALWAYS defaults to wanting to smash one guy into the nearby propane tank...I can never get it to want to smash the guys together.

With the remote claw, you can actually use the RB button (from memory) to set the target you want to connect it to. So you can tell the game,"I want to attach to this thug/object" and it will stick until you change gadgets. The game will also give you a green line between targets to indicate there is nothing inbetween them, or a red one to show that there are obstructions that will get in the way.

• Locked thread