Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Aston posted:

I'm going to be playing goblins at a big-ish event this Sunday. I don't get to play legacy too often - the last big tournament was a side event at GP Utrecht - and although the version I've been playing with most and am most comfortable with is mono-red, I hear good things about Thalia. Is she really worth including?

Thalia slows down delver, control and combo decks by a ton while barely slowing you down and she attacks past a lot of creatures that would otherwise be problematic for your goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zoness posted:

Thalia slows down delver, control and combo decks by a ton while barely slowing you down and she attacks past a lot of creatures that would otherwise be problematic for your goblins.

Is Thalia why Goblins plays Tarfire (I am bad at rules)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Tharizdun posted:

Tarfire is tutorable/hits on ringleader. Thalia still taxes it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

Goblins plays Tarfire despite it being taxed by Thalia and giving an extra boost to Tarmogoyf because it needs to reliably kill Delvers and Deathrites. Also yeah, Thalia doesn't count on Gempalm Incinerator.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Zoness posted:

I'll give it a test but I've never had much trouble with delver or control. Helping against combo would be a big plus though.

Someone, I think it was Caleb Durward, posted a list with Thalia which also had four Restoration Angels and a Kiki-Jiki, and that is something I really want to try. But for something a bit lower stakes first.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My list runs white for Thalia main and Canonist / Rest in Peace / Wear//Tear sideboard.
Maybe I'll try making a list for Goblins with Purphoros in Modern but I don't know how competitive it'll be without Ringleader, Matron, and Lackey.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've tried goblins in modern before and it's not really the same deck. I did have fun with maindeck bloodmoons and goblin kings a while back but to be honest it's a bit too gimmicky to work consistently.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
A guy at an lgs runs modern goblins. Mox opal and ornithopters to sac to kuldotha rebirth, guides, chieftains, grenades.... it is REALLY fast.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spitballing, is Sundial of the infinite any sort of tech in non-blue decks against instant draw, sort of like a permanent Seedtime?

I have visions of making GBS threads on America Control's snapcasters and Restos and reducing all combat tricks to a fog at best

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Molybdenum posted:

A guy at an lgs runs modern goblins. Mox opal and ornithopters to sac to kuldotha rebirth, guides, chieftains, grenades.... it is REALLY fast.

Do you think you'd be able to get a list next time you see him? I'd be interested in seeing how it works.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tharizdun posted:

Spitballing, is Sundial of the infinite any sort of tech in non-blue decks against instant draw, sort of like a permanent Seedtime?

I have visions of making GBS threads on America Control's snapcasters and Restos and reducing all combat tricks to a fog at best
Its just a worse Grand Abloisher or Voice of Resurgence, isn't it? I'd say its not worth running unless you are getting some other benefit from the effect.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
It lets you run pacts...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Molybdenum posted:

It lets you run pacts...

While strictly true, I feel like the pacts are pretty bad even if you "only" essentially skip your turn (except the untap and any creatively stacked upkeep effects) rather than losing the game.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Goblins already has a purphoros: Goblin Piledriver

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

JerryLee posted:

While strictly true, I feel like the pacts are pretty bad even if you "only" essentially skip your turn (except the untap and any creatively stacked upkeep effects) rather than losing the game.

I'm trying my best to get mileage out of sundial of the infinite, it is kind of hard. Pacts still suck and so do the following lines of play

If you have phage in the graveyard, you can reanimate her and end the turn with the trigger on the stack.
you can play hunted dudes and end the turn with the token triggers on the stack.
you can let treacherous pit dweller eat it in combat and end the turn with the go to opponent trigger on the stack.
you can discard emrakul, end the turn with the shuffle trigger on the stack, then zombify her next turn.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You can use Sun Dial to keep temporary creatures like GosT angels, Ball Lightnings, and unearth guys around.

I;m really waiting for something to break that card and turn it into a staple combo deck.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Wadjamaloo posted:

You can use Sun Dial to keep temporary creatures like GosT angels, Ball Lightnings, and unearth guys around.

I;m really waiting for something to break that card and turn it into a staple combo deck.

Angels yes, unearth dudes yes, but Ball Lightnings no. It will trigger again at your opponents end step.

Stiflenaught is still a better cheaper (mana cost wise) combo and stifle can usually do something to disrupt an opponent when you don't have to stifle your 'naughts.

I'd love to see a modern version of it with Hunted Horror but i think there is far too many abrupt decays running around to make it viable.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Sundial won't be broken until something is printed that lets it activate on your opponent's turn.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
Anyone know of a good way besides wrath of god type board sweepers that delver can deal with a true-name nemesis? I'm thinking celestial flare in the sideboard, but I wondered if there were any other options.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mailorder bees! posted:

Anyone know of a good way besides wrath of god type board sweepers that delver can deal with a true-name nemesis? I'm thinking celestial flare in the sideboard, but I wondered if there were any other options.

Llawan, Cephalid Empress

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Toshimo posted:

Llawan, Cephalid Empress

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Oh god I hope Llawan becomes a thing again. She tanked after merfolk fell out of favor; maybe she'll be a player in the format once again if TNN is truly a plague that people can't handle for some reason.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

What a Judas posted:

Oh god I hope Llawan becomes a thing again. She tanked after merfolk fell out of favor; maybe she'll be a player in the format once again if TNN is truly a plague that people can't handle for some reason.

She costs 4 in a format where the other players at that cost are Jace the Mind Sculptor and Goblin Ringleader.

I would not put money on this.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

She costs 4 in a format where the other players at that cost are Jace the Mind Sculptor and Goblin Ringleader.

She already sees sideboard play in some lists that t8.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Llawan used to be a huge deal not too long ago (a few years, I believe). She only fell out of favor (and dropped $15) when merfolk stopped being good.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Magic cards have great art, especially nowadays, but I was looking back through old sets with an app recently and was struck by how awful some of the art on particular cards were in ye olden days.

A lot of them remind me of the way that early music videos had a tendency to visually represent the lyrics of a song literally.

Animate Wall is a great example.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Imagined posted:

Magic cards have great art, especially nowadays, but I was looking back through old sets with an app recently and was struck by how awful some of the art on particular cards were in ye olden days.

A lot of them remind me of the way that early music videos had a tendency to visually represent the lyrics of a song literally.

Animate Wall is a great example.

I would trade the occasional stinker like that or the various Schuler bullshit "thing on velvet" like Candelabra of Tawnos if it meant we could get cool evocative stuff like Maddocks, Tedin, Hoover (RIP) and Guay again.

Also official rule that Ron Spencer does all Rakdos-colored cards forever. Because MORE SPIKES :black101:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That's opening a can of worms, since I think a lot of people (myself included) would say the art is worse today. It's almost all realistic, flavor guided, and focused tested. I'll happily take the Animate Walls and Stasises if it means we get some different styles like Drew Tucker

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The old style feels more like "art" to me. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but a lot of the new stuff just feels like mass produced stock imagery, despite it actually being a bit the other way around.
Old cards are like classic rock and roll with personality and character. New cards are like industry created pop music that is all fluff and shine with no lasting impression.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wadjamaloo posted:

The old style feels more like "art" to me. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but a lot of the new stuff just feels like mass produced stock imagery, despite it actually being a bit the other way around.
Old cards are like classic rock and roll with personality and character. New cards are like industry created pop music that is all fluff and shine with no lasting impression.

I'd be happy to split the difference; I understand that for blocks, you *need* a cohesive art style to get the themes across and do stuff like have Avacyn in the stained glass of Endless Ranks of the dead, but maybe in Core sets (M1X), go a little hog-wild, since it isn't bound to a particular lore or plane.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2013

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Don't me get wrong I like the art direction and the way blocks feel cohesive, the cards just feel sterile. I like how in the older stuff you can see brush strokes and artist individuality stands out more. I think Lorwyn was a nice high point for blending both.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I suppose I do agree that back in the day, the artists definitely had more room to stretch their individuality, and you could instantly recognize one artist's style versus another's. However, some of it obviously was like, "gently caress it, we got a deadline, put it out like that."

It is kind of a shame that they've become so conservative that something as in-jokey and goofy as Phelddagrif could never happen again.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Wadjamaloo posted:

Don't me get wrong I like the art direction and the way blocks feel cohesive, the cards just feel sterile. I like how in the older stuff you can see brush strokes and artist individuality stands out more. I think Lorwyn was a nice high point for blending both.

I absolutely agree, Lorwyn and Shadowmoor were kind of a high point for me. I wasn't back into magic when it came out, but a few years later some friends and I picked up a bunch of Shadowmoor and Eventide to do draft/sealed as a kind of casual one-off and absolutely loved it. There was a guy who only worked on Lorwyn block, that really nailed the storybook feel (probably because he was a children's book illustrator)- Larry Macdougal, that I really liked. Toil to Renown, Suture Spirit, Drove of Elves, and one of the awesome Shadowmoor Plains.

Looking back over my old Mercadian Masques/Invasion block stuff, I'm also struck by just how much Guay there used to be. Beautiful stuff that really hits my nostalgia for the game.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Wadjamaloo posted:

I think Lorwyn was a nice high point for blending both.

I can't agree enough with this--both art and design wise, Lorwyn and Shadowmoor were a nice point of intersection between the whimsical 90s and the modern era.

It was like, oh hey, we can make this work! :unsmith:

oh everybody else is pissing on this block :smith:

C'est la vie.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Imagined posted:

It is kind of a shame that they've become so conservative that something as in-jokey and goofy as Phelddagrif could never happen again.

And we'll certainly never see a card depicting Jace getting zapped in the rear end with lasers or having his fart machine taken away.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Urza's block flavor owned so much.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tharizdun posted:

I'd be happy to split the difference; I understand that for blocks, you *need* a cohesive art style to get the themes across and do stuff like have Avacyn in the stained glass of Endless Ranks of the dead, but maybe in Core sets (M1X), go a little hog-wild, since it isn't bound to a particular lore or plane.

The lack of cohesiveness did things to old cards.

These are all Jamuraan goblins. All three goblin cards in the Mirage set in fact. They look absofuckinglutely nothing alike.

The completely different art styles led to a lack of coherence.

These are apparently from the same area, given they both reference Zalfhir in flavor text, but by appearance they couldn't be more disparate. Jamuraa doesn't have as strong of identity as more recent places, and part of this is the art. It's easy to imagine what a given street would look like on Ravnica or Innistrad, but what if I went to market in Suq'Ata? Which one of the numerous appearances of Jamuraa would I be seeing? The setting lacks a visual identity. If there's something good to say about the style guides, it makes everything look like they fit together in the same place. Mirage lacks this, and so it makes Jamuraa feel incomplete as a setting.

Tempest block and Rath had the same problem. No two artists could seem to agree what "Skyshroud Forest" or "Volrath's Stronghold" or "Gerrard" looked like.

As a personal aside, gently caress RKF. All his blue cards are loving incomprehensible swirls and they end up being equally impossible to parse. Mirage is in the middle of his phase where you were not allowed to know what the subject of a drawing even is.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The style guides definitely help the setting, but all those cards look like paintings, they look like "art" and I wouldn't mind seeing that aspect returning.
I really hate the bland homogenous look of the new sets, and especially hate the digital stuff. To get some perspective, I really like the art style of Ascension.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

C-Euro posted:

Do you think you'd be able to get a list next time you see him? I'd be interested in seeing how it works.

4 mox opal
4 ornithopter
4 memnite
4 signal pest
4 goblin arsonist
4 Legion Loyalist
4 goblin bushwhacker
4 Goblin Guide
2 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Grenade
4 kudoltha rebirth
4 Contested War Zone
14 mountain

edit: he runs out of steam pretty darn fast, but it usually doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Really cool game of Dredge vs Sneak and Show.
http://www.twitch.tv/magic/b/480598617?t=492m23s

eSporks fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 18, 2013

• Locked thread