Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The Touchsmart 11 wasn't a Chromebook, though :v: it was their 11.6 inch screen notebook option.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc..._Tablets_898526

^^^ it was cheaper on HP's website though.

That's why I said maybe someone fat-fingered it when they removed what they though was the 11" Chromebook from their website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you want a BF type deal check out the lenovo outlet website first thing Monday mornings when the new batch of refurbs are listed. My Buddy got a scratch and dent Yoga i5 for under $500 , the scratch on the bottom was so light he had to point it out to me in direct lighting. YMMV.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

evol262 posted:

You should buy a $30 Intel wifi adapter instead.

But you need to rethink your requirements, because your only requirements are "most common OS on Earth" and "runs 4 year old operating system".

Weight? Battery life? Intended usage?

Weight: lighter is better, but not a deal breaker.
Battery life: I currently rock a 9 cell that gets me 8-10 hours. Battery life is pretty important for when I travel.
Intended usage: primarily work (Office, R, GeoDa, ArcGIS) with some personal use. An i5 or better processor with at least 4 gb of RAM should meet my needs for the foreseeable future.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seriously looking at getting a Yoga 2 Pro - if you bought it when it came out and have used it every day - are you still happy with the purchase? or are there one or two infuriating things about it that drive you mental?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here's what a friend of mine had to say about his. He replaced a T62, I think.

I'd say I average about 8 hours battery life if I'm using it the entire time, keeping screen brightness pretty high and with wifi on. I know it could be better, but I might have one or two days a year where I would have a use for more than 8 hours a day, and on those days I doubt I wouldn't come across an outlet. It's really more of a convenience thing to not have to carry the charger with you, I guess.

I'm happy with everything on the yoga except wifi. For some odd reason the factory wifi drivers would not connect to my WAP unless I was like 5 feet from it. I mean down in my office it still said it had plenty of signal strength, but it would always fail to connect with no reason given. So I uinstalled the intel proset wireless software and drivers and it started working fine. A couple days ago I noticed they released a new wireless software package from intel called 'kona' (not sure what that means to intel). I installed it and found it actually improved my wifi signal strength... like I get more range now. And it connects fine too.... until the driver crashes completely and in device manager the wifi card claims it is failing to start. Rebooting fixes it. Disabling and re-enabling the wifi card doesn't, though. So the updated software fixed the inability to connect but now causes my wireless card to stop working after a little while. I'm contemplating calling lenovo support about it but then the other part of me realizes I can just uninstall the intel software and use windows 8.1 as my wifi controller and it works fine, and there's probably lots of other people with the same problem, so I'll just wait for another software update to come out.

On that topic, one annoying thing about this yoga is there's no driver/software updater like Thinkvantage on the Thinkpads or Dell Client Update on Optiplexes and such. It's like an intentional omission on their part to try to make their 'business class' notebooks seem more special.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah I was afraid someone was going to post a glowing review like that. Thanks.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

V for Vegas posted:

Yeah I was afraid someone was going to post a glowing review like that. Thanks.

FWIW I haven't had a single wifi issue to date with my Y2P.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

V for Vegas posted:

Seriously looking at getting a Yoga 2 Pro - if you bought it when it came out and have used it every day - are you still happy with the purchase? or are there one or two infuriating things about it that drive you mental?

I haven't had any wifi issues but I live in a small apartment and am never very far from my access point. I really like mine but I find the size of the right shift button to be pretty annoying. I often hit the up arrow when trying to hit shift. This is just a minor annoyance.
I should note: I run my Y2Pro at 1600*900 resolution because a number of programs that I rely on don't scale properly enough to be usable at 3200*1800. Running at half the vertical and horizontal resolution ensures that there isn't any blurring associated with running a non-native resolution, and you don't really lose any screen space versus 3200*1800 at 200% DPI scaling. I'm kind of bummed that I can't use the full resolution of the display, but 1600*900 is very adequate on a display this size and I think the laptop is worth it even if you never run it at full resolution.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Dell XPS 13 with Haswell went on sale in Canada and US starting today.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9333/pd

listed with an estimated ship date: 12/13/2013 ... yeah

Are there comparable discounts for Dells like there are with Lenovo? Because the Yoga 2 Pro is looking like a way better value when I go through the Lenovo Friends & Family discount thing.

edit - seriously, even without the discount, the Yoga 2 Pro is cheaper for the same specs + the QHD screen (admittedly a negative and a positive) + convertible aspect. What does the XPS 13 have over it? Build quality? Battery?

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 15, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Thinkpad Yoga appears to be for sale on the Australian Lenovo site. No sign of the Yoga 2 yet, though.

I'm starting to suspect they're just not sure how to slot a single non-Thinkpad laptop onto their website. Too much effort, damnit.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 15, 2013

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
The ThinkPad yoga is also listed on newegg.

Lenovo pushed back my yoga 2 order again, now with an est ship date of 12/24.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

FWIW I haven't had a single wifi issue to date with my Y2P.

I think my post came off as being sarcastic when it wasn't. Definitely looking to pick up one of the orange ones.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Process this information: The Thinkpad Edge E545 will apparently bring back physical trackpoint buttons to the E-series: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Yes, and yes. I would recommend trying to get your hands on an OEM Windows Install disc (or USB stick) and just starting fresh, though

Well, since the computer comes with a license, can i just d/l such a thing from MS?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tijag posted:

Well, since the computer comes with a license, can i just d/l such a thing from MS?

Usually no. Microsoft only lets you download Windows 8 through their launcher/updater thing, and it doesn't accept OEM keys.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tijag posted:

If you are one of Microsoft's special paid subscribers, then you can download an ISO, yes. Otherwise, you'll have to bit torrent it or something.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dyne posted:

The ThinkPad yoga is also listed on newegg.

Lenovo pushed back my yoga 2 order again, now with an est ship date of 12/24.

I just canceled my Lenovo order and switched to Best Buy, got the laptop in under a week for very nearly the same price. I'd recommend it!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

I just canceled my Lenovo order and switched to Best Buy, got the laptop in under a week for very nearly the same price. I'd recommend it!

For real? Even including the discount from the B&N Link?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

RVProfootballer posted:

It looks like the same config (8gb and 256gb) is $1200 at bestbuy, which is $120 more than from the b&n Lenovo dealie

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

dyne posted:

It looks like the same config (8gb and 256gb) is $1200 at bestbuy, which is $120 more than from the b&n Lenovo dealie

Doesn't BB price match though?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Convinced my boss to buy a Yoga 2 Pro and goddamn that thing will NOT connect to our wifi network. It will connect to any other network around, but it just can't get an IP on our network at all. I spent about 4 hours on it today doing everything I could including a complete recovery and fresh boot, but nada.

Manually entering an IP works, but is not a viable solution for a traveling non tech savvy person. (No other machines have trouble connecting to our wifi routers)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

BonoMan posted:

Convinced my boss to buy a Yoga 2 Pro and goddamn that thing will NOT connect to our wifi network. It will connect to any other network around, but it just can't get an IP on our network at all. I spent about 4 hours on it today doing everything I could including a complete recovery and fresh boot, but nada.

Manually entering an IP works, but is not a viable solution for a traveling non tech savvy person. (No other machines have trouble connecting to our wifi routers)

Something about Windows 8 acts really squirrelly with some networks. I can't pin it down, but on both of my machines running Windows 8, they can't connect to my school wifi. However, worked fine in Windows 7 before the upgrade and my phone connects just fine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Doesn't BB price match though?

They probably won't price match a site that requires a login/password in order for the deal to be displayed

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

shrughes posted:

Process this information: The Thinkpad Edge E545 will apparently bring back physical trackpoint buttons to the E-series: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/

Nice. I'd get that if it weren't for the off-center keyboard. I know some people like or need the numpad, but I don't.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

I'm using the Intel Centrino Advanced card, and it had the same reaction to my college's wifi network. Their ITS guy had to do two things to get my laptop working: He added an encryption standard WP*something, not WPA2, and he removed Intel's wireless drivers. My card reverted to Window's drivers, and that fixed it.

As far as the encryption standard, he explained that Windows stopped including it in 8.1, and it was the specific method used by my school. As far as the drivers, he said that I wouldn't be able to do more "advanced" wireless work with the Windows default drivers. When I pressed him, he said "things like Linux and hacking." Not my cup of tea, but if that means anything to you...

Otherwise, the Win drivers work very nicely with the card, and I am experiencing no problems thus far. Hope this helps.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

P.N.T.M. posted:

I'm using the Intel Centrino Advanced card, and it had the same reaction to my college's wifi network. Their ITS guy had to do two things to get my laptop working: He added an encryption standard WP*something, not WPA2, and he removed Intel's wireless drivers. My card reverted to Window's drivers, and that fixed it.

As far as the encryption standard, he explained that Windows stopped including it in 8.1, and it was the specific method used by my school. As far as the drivers, he said that I wouldn't be able to do more "advanced" wireless work with the Windows default drivers. When I pressed him, he said "things like Linux and hacking." Not my cup of tea, but if that means anything to you...

Otherwise, the Win drivers work very nicely with the card, and I am experiencing no problems thus far. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll try those tomorrow.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dyne posted:

Best Buy is i7, that Lenovo is i5 (right?). Also if you have an .edu email, you can get a $50 coupon for Best Buy. Since I do have one, it was i5, $1080, and an indeterminate wait time from Lenovo, vs. i7, $1150, and shipped within 3 days from Best Buy. Tax charged by both, shipping free from both. Your call on if it's worth it, but I was getting kind of fed up with the wait and will actually probably benefit from the i7.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

From the OP:

quote:

Unless you're in the military or work on an oil rig your use case does not represent a good case for a gaming laptop.

My Asus G73 is three and a half years old now, and it isn't keeping up with games like it used to. I am in the military, and I end up moving around quite a bit in my job, so I usually end up dropping quite a bit on my gaming laptop.

I was directed here from the Gaming PC thread, but to be completely honest I am not well-versed in the magics that make these things work. I know basic terms, and I can upgrade my RAM (I think) but taking a look at the mass of info on the OP got me nowhere. Also, I tried reading the Wiki page on Haswell microarchitecture, and I think my brain melted a bit.

I'm thinking of getting one after the Holiday rush, having it shipped home and moving my stuff over once I get back from my current overseas stint. Aside from this digging a hole in my funds (which I am prepared for), anything else I should know about?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Yoga 2 Pro has a new BIOS and Energy Manager, to try and alleviate some of the yellow issues:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035004

I installed it this morning before work, but didn't get a chance to check it out yet.
When it first rebooted after installing the new BIOS, it hung at a black screen with the keyboard backlight on, but a hard reboot fixed that up right away. Looks like one other person on the Lenovo forums saw the same behavior, so I figured I'd mention it.

e: and it actually looks like Lenovo mentioned that in the documentation: "If you find your computer is shut down with keyboard backlight on, you can keep press the power button longer than 8S and press the power button again to start the computer. The BIOS should be installed properly."

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

If you are one of Microsoft's special paid subscribers, then you can download an ISO, yes. Otherwise, you'll have to bit torrent it or something.

So I bittorrent an ISO or whatever, and then use the license/serial number I have with my computer and i'll be all good to go? Sorry, never done this before. I always just build a computer and buy a Windows install and install from the DVD. Can't really do that with a laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone having issues with games on their Yoga 2?

However in other news yesterday I tried to play a 3D game on it for the first time. It crashed hard within 5-30 seconds of any 3D game being played. I mean like just powers off hard with no warning. I called Lenovo and the dipshit tech support guy tried to tell me my laptop wasn't designed to play high end 3d games and it was powering off to prevent itself from overheating. I told him if I experienced a low frame rate that would be one thing, but no properly designed laptop should just shut off without warning any time you try to play a 3d game. He said I needed to find a game that listed minimum requirements well within the hd4400's capabilities so I loaded up half life 2 on low quality settings which the integrated graphics should be able to run without even trying. It stuttered off and on for a couple minutes and then crashed. He then tried to tell me the problem was I had a virus, and be could tell because my desktop.ini files were visible. I explained to him that was because I had windows explorer set to show hidden/OS files.
He then said it was a software problem with steam, so I went and loaded up passmark outside of steam and it still crashed.

This guy was doing everything he could to shift blame to the obvious answer that it was a hardware problem. I mean what would I have done if I didn't know enough to disprove his excuses? Ridiculous.

Anyhow he then asked me to do a full factory restore and call back in if it still crashed after that. I agreed and ran the restore last night but haven't tried a game yet to see if it still crashed, and I'll be shocked if it doesn't.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone having issues with games on their Yoga 2?

I don't actually play games, but I'll see if I have problems in Windows/Linux.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Yoga 2 Pro has a new BIOS and Energy Manager, to try and alleviate some of the yellow issues:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035004

I installed it this morning before work, but didn't get a chance to check it out yet.
When it first rebooted after installing the new BIOS, it hung at a black screen with the keyboard backlight on, but a hard reboot fixed that up right away. Looks like one other person on the Lenovo forums saw the same behavior, so I figured I'd mention it.

e: and it actually looks like Lenovo mentioned that in the documentation: "If you find your computer is shut down with keyboard backlight on, you can keep press the power button longer than 8S and press the power button again to start the computer. The BIOS should be installed properly."

I'm glad you posted this since it happened to me and if I hadn't read this post I might have freaked out.

Did you notice that your display brightness is MUCH lower after the bios update?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

evol262 posted:

I don't actually play games, but I'll see if I have problems in Windows/Linux.

It's chugging through whatever gamer crap is cool these days, albeit sort of a slideshow at times, without any thermal issues that I'm noticing. I guess I'll post the benchmark results whenever 3dmark finishes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So far nothing has fixed the weird Yoga 2 WiFi issue (which appears to be widespread). Someone suggested downloading the november wifi drivers here. I went to download them and they are 260 megs. Two hundred and sixty loving megs for a wifi driver???

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

BonoMan posted:

So far nothing Linux has fixed the weird Yoga 2 WiFi issue

Results here. No crashes.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 15, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Did you reply to the wrong person?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

BonoMan posted:

Did you reply to the wrong person?

No. The 3dmark stuff is for Bob Morales, but I quoted you to edit your wifi quote. It works perfectly under Linux. 99% odds it's some Windows driver problem.

Also, uninstall the drat drivers and let Windows use its drivers instead, which is the recommended fix for every "my OEM bullshit sucks out of box" problem.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Naffer posted:

I'm glad you posted this since it happened to me and if I hadn't read this post I might have freaked out.

Did you notice that your display brightness is MUCH lower after the bios update?

Yep, brightness definitely lower, though I'm happy as I thought the minimum brightness below was a little too bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tijag posted:

So I bittorrent an ISO or whatever, and then use the license/serial number I have with my computer and i'll be all good to go? Sorry, never done this before. I always just build a computer and buy a Windows install and install from the DVD. Can't really do that with a laptop.

The nice thing is that you won't have to enter the license/serial number at all, Windows 8 will pull it directly from the BIOS settings, so all you need to do is start the installer. The not so nice thing is that it's easy to get the wrong ISO, in which case your key won't work. I'm not sure whether talking about which file is the right ISO is :filez: or not