Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I thought his first name was Paolo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Whatever it was I don't care I'm staying behind until Cuwi starts watching again so I have someone to talk about the episodes with while I watch them.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Blurred Lines starring Schuester and his students had better be the most magnificent trainwreck on the planet. There's no way they're not perfectly aware of how creepy and uncomfortable it's going to be.

Your faith in this show is adorable sometimes. :allears:

And really? Paolo San Pablo? 'San' is Espaņol for Saint. Paolo San Pablo is literally Spanish Jesse St. James. :ese:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well I mean, they keep talking about Will being creepy with the kids -- once in this episode, once in the season premiere, once even back in the s4 finale -- and there were like three mentions this week from the kids (Artie, Kitty, and Jake) about how arbitrary his lessons have gotten. Either the writers are completely aware of how the viewers see Will, or else...well, there's actually no other option here!

What they'll do with it, if anything, is a bit harder to guess at. But if I didn't at least anticipate the show making mad fun of Will for butt-grinding with his students to a song that entered the public zeitgeist when Robin Thicke butt-grinded with a quarter-dressed girl young enough to be his daughter, I might as well throw in the towel at this show.

Also of note, the last time Will butt-grinded with his students was in the first Britney episode, and it was 'cause the show was mocking the crap outta his mid-life crisis. Also, the last time Will and Sue got into a debate over freedom of expression, in the Rocky Horror episode, the show actually ended up siding a bit more with Sue on the matter.

DON'T YOU SEE IT'S ALL SO LOGICAL :pseudo:

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
At this point, it seems very in character that Will would be singing in that song and I would expect nothing less from his character. Marley singing her song makes sense too.

I want more Starchild. That entire performance was aces.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The thing that keeps Will Schuester employed as an educator and lets him win Teacher of the Year is the same thing that gives these kids a massive cash influx to afford all the trendy clothes and also buy plane tickets every weekend.

Edit: And also the same thing that ensures multiple nominations for prom king/queen out of the glee club even in a year where the only Cheerio is a sophmomore.

xeria fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 12, 2013

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

BrianWilly posted:

a song that entered the public zeitgeist when Robin Thicke butt-grinded with a quarter-dressed girl young enough to be his daughter

Song spoiler: It's been in the public zeitgeist longer than that. And hey, at least they aren't recreating the actual music video.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xeria posted:

The thing that keeps Will Schuester employed as an educator and lets him win Teacher of the Year is the same thing that gives these kids a massive cash influx to afford all the trendy clothes and also buy plane tickets every weekend.

Edit: And also the same thing that ensures multiple nominations for prom king/queen out of the glee club even in a year where the only Cheerio is a sophmomore.

Is this the same thing that has kept the show timeline in Blaptember for the last 6 weeks?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

Is this the same thing that has kept the show timeline in Blaptember for the last 6 weeks?

Verily! And the same thing that ensures a Christmas episode this season that seems to feature Kurt/Rachel/Santana singing in a mall, when they weren't even really friends prior to New York (making a "seasons past" Christmas seem sketchy at best), and we already had an actual Christmas for the 2012-2013 school year!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xeria posted:

Verily! And the same thing that ensures a Christmas episode this season that seems to feature Kurt/Rachel/Santana singing in a mall, when they weren't even really friends prior to New York (making a "seasons past" Christmas seem sketchy at best), and we already had an actual Christmas for the 2012-2013 school year!

You've never heard of Second Christmas? :(

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The other times i have heard Will being called creepy it is usually because he stood next to a female student, which from what i understand is illegal in the US school system, and now giving silly pointless lessons is apparently also creepy, as opposed to what Glee has always done.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Like 90% of the time Will is being creepy, it's because he's using glee club to try and impress/hook up with Emma. He inserted himself into a glee club performance of Toxic just to go LOOK EMMA LOOK I'M SEXY AND DARING AND THRILLING! He staged a production of RHPS -- and took over as Rocky when Sam expressed discomfort at being so underdressed -- just because Dr. Carl took Emma to see it and she enjoyed herself.

Will seemingly being an rear end to his female students* is separate from his occasional creepiness, which is separate from him just being a terrible educator in general.

*(Really, Will is just an rear end, period. Suddenly there's a ZERO TOLERANCE TO VIOLENCE policy when Santana slaps Finn, but then also he's yelling at Artie to forget about it when Blaine gets slushied with rock salt by their main show choir competition -- and has to miss several days of school and get surgery as a result.)

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

xeria posted:

If they're going back in time, maybe Finn will come back for a couple songs!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

God's balls, they're doing that loving Ylvis fox song in episode 7 and now I actually want to set something on fire.

Newsflash, The Universe: The minute you take that song out of original context it becomes completely unfunny :doom:

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

BrianWilly posted:

God's balls, they're doing that loving Ylvis fox song in episode 7 and now I actually want to set something on fire.

Newsflash, The Universe: The minute you take that song out of original context it becomes completely unfunny :doom:

Clearly it'll be their song for Nationals right? Because it'll be like Gungnam Style, only with better costumes.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Actually, it's a Starchild song.

(Yes, yes, I know, :thejoke:, but I just wanted to point out who was singing it.)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Ooops, mispost

Oasx fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 13, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just discovered AutoStraddle's episode recaps. Hilariously, they were losing their love for the show from like episode 8 of the first season. I guess it really did always suck :allears:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I seems like it kind of had a different breaking point for almost everyone. Some people think the first 13 were great while the rest of it was dreck. Others hold the first two whole seasons in high regard and loathe everything else. Some people think it's still pretty fun entertainment even still! It's probably at least a little tied to which characters you got attached to and how hosed over they may or may not have gotten at whichever point of the show.

I think the watchability (or re-watchability) of the first 13 episodes, at least, relies on how willing are you to forgive a teen pregnancy AND fake pregnancy plot combo right out of the gate.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

New York has its own puppets :3:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
And this being Glee, each will be available for $100 in times for Christmas.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I miss Heather Morris

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hangedman1984 posted:

I miss Heather Morris

This.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

hangedman1984 posted:

I miss Heather Morris

and Vanessa Lengies.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Haven't watched this season until now. Is Ryan Murphy still not tired of Jane Lynch as the bad person, really?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Haven't watched this season until now. Is Ryan Murphy still not tired of Jane Lynch as the bad person, really?

She fired Will, though?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
No clue. I am still watching in horror as the show stumbles through transgendered bathroom rights and school bullying. Will appears to be around still.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Wreckin' Ball

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Rachel completely botched that number. She's not supposed to be into it until the end.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I know he changed his mind in the end but it was still hilarious to see Will go straight from giving the first good bit of support he'd done in years to throwing that student under the bus so he could keep twerkin.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Twerkin is in the Constitution. Did you miss that part or do you just hate America?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

the truth posted:

Twerkin is in the Constitution. Did you miss that part or do you just hate America?

I'm British, the only state-approved dance allowed here is the foxtrot

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That episode cartwheeled back and forth between terrible and great so much I think I'm having a neck seizure.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was perfectly fine not knowing what twerking was, thanks Glee! :argh: I stuck around to see how they handled Finn's death, but after this episode i will be tuning out again.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
I thought it was hilarious when the Superintendent said something like "And... Teacher of the Year... This has got to be a mistake... Will Schuster?"

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
This episode was lacking in Santana, Dani, and Starchild. I hope they were off on some great big fabulous adventure somewhere in the city....

The New York scenes, while I didn't like them at first, keep me watching and I don't care for the Marley/Jake relationship fallout.

Will is still terrible. Everyone tells him that blurred lines is not what he thinks it is, but he doesn't care. He wants to twerk with his students and stand outside bathrooms.

The Unique situation was handled... okay? I'm not a fan of Unique (don't like the actor - thanks Glee project) but that storyline was really well played.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

I thought it was hilarious when the Superintendent said something like "And... Teacher of the Year... This has got to be a mistake... Will Schuster?"

I loved the scene of where he gets fired. I sort of tune out, I thought we was fired, and was going to appeal that the board, but instead he appealed the twerking ban and nothing more was said about him being fired?

Do I need to tune out more or less?

I love Sue, but it is really getting on nerves that she calls Unique "he" continuously.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Rarity posted:

I know he changed his mind in the end but it was still hilarious to see Will go straight from giving the first good bit of support he'd done in years to throwing that student under the bus so he could keep twerkin.

I absolutely hated how self-righteous he was about the whole thing. Defending twerking does not make him some sort of civil rights activist.

e: Although I don't know what else I'd expect from him

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think the only grounds Sue had for firing Will was because he was twerking with students, so once he appealed the school board on that, there was no actual basis for firing him, more's the pity. You didn't miss anything, the episode just wasn't very clear about it.

Sue has been consistently transphobic, so it's no shock that she's purposely misgendering Unique. I kinda liked that plot, though Unique was so hilarious last week that I wish she got some meatier storylines that didn't just involve her being utterly loving miserable all the time.

Kurt and Rachel's storyline was pretty great this week, for...various reasons. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I like that Rachel has this little secret about her tattoo and she'll always remember Finn in her own way. :3:

• Locked thread