Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Cicero posted:

My wife has a Verizon iPhone 4S, currently on a Verizon plan. We want to change her to something cheaper. If we don't change phones, is our best bet Page Plus?

Probably your only option if you don't change to a different phone.

Thanatosian posted:

So, I'mma switch over to T-Mobile's $30/month Nerd plan (100 minutes/5GB). They don't let you get their premium handset protection, and I am used to Sprint's insurance/service plan (which is the best thing about Sprint) where you show up at a Sprint store with your broken phone and they fix it, or you send your phone in and they replace it for $100.

Does anyone know of a company that provides a similar type of insurance for cell phones? Or am I just going to have to roll the dice (historically speaking, I have not had great luck with phones)?

Buy an iPhone. The apple store will work just like you speak of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

Thanatosian posted:

So, I'mma switch over to T-Mobile's $30/month Nerd plan (100 minutes/5GB). They don't let you get their premium handset protection, and I am used to Sprint's insurance/service plan (which is the best thing about Sprint) where you show up at a Sprint store with your broken phone and they fix it, or you send your phone in and they replace it for $100.

Does anyone know of a company that provides a similar type of insurance for cell phones? Or am I just going to have to roll the dice (historically speaking, I have not had great luck with phones)?
Buy an iPhone. The apple store will work just like you speak of.
I'm getting a Nexus 5.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

hotsauce posted:

You will receive MMS via email only if it's sent from Sprint or T-Mobile. MMS is dead to me honestly. No big deal, IMO. Maybe I'm just getting old.

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah I've also given up on MMS. When someone asks me about a picture they sent me I'm like "are you from the past?"

You guys must not have girlfriends/wives/kids... every girl I've dated in the past year+ wants to send photos of cute poo poo from time to time. Pets, nieces/nephews, whatever.

MMS is just a thing that still exists and the fact that GV hasn't made it work shows how little they loving care about GV.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

You could get Square trade where they will mail you a new phone, but honestly the N5 only costs ~$375, I'd suggest just getting a TPU case and rolling the dice. There is nothing where you can just walk into store and get it fixed except Applecare/iPhone.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Stick100 posted:

You could get Square trade where they will mail you a new phone, but honestly the N5 only costs ~$375, I'd suggest just getting a TPU case and rolling the dice. There is nothing where you can just walk into store and get it fixed except Applecare/iPhone.
SquareTrade is probably what I'm looking for.

I'm really going to miss that with Sprint, but I'll suck it up.

I was hoping Ballistic would make a case for the Nexus 5, but it might be a little big (I have a Ballistic case for my Galaxy S2 and loving love it; practically goddamn bulletproof).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ShaneB posted:

You guys must not have girlfriends/wives/kids... every girl I've dated in the past year+ wants to send photos of cute poo poo from time to time. Pets, nieces/nephews, whatever.

MMS is just a thing that still exists and the fact that GV hasn't made it work shows how little they loving care about GV.

My wife and I use Facebook Messanger, and send plenty of cat pictures to each other. Ever since I discovered an app called Beluga, that then got bought by Facebook and basically became Facebook messanger, and also since I work underground with no cell service, I've put a much higher priority on messaging not being tied to my physical phone than anything else. Also the fact that it's a group chat system that doesn't make Android users feel like second class citizens is nice too.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ShaneB posted:

Email? I just email my fiance.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

TLG James posted:

Email? I just email my fiance.

Everybody I know (women included) either uses Google+ or Facebook for pictures. I know a lot of nerds, though. If it weren't for people complaining about Google Voice still not supporting it, I wouldn't even know MMS was still a thing. Hell, most of my friends don't even use SMS any more and just use Hangouts instead.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm going to get my wife and I new Virgin Mobile phones on Black Friday, finally. Here are the options:

Target:
Virgin Mobile ZTE Awe $19.99 (reg. 99.99)

Radioshack:
Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy Ring $49.99 (reg. $149.99)
Virgin Mobile iPhone 4 8GB $99 (reg. $199)

Walmart
Virgin Mobile Kyocera Event $20 (Reg. $49.99)

Best Buy [bestbuy.com]:
Virgin Mobile LG Optimus F3 $89.99 (Reg. $179)

Meijer:
Virgin Mobile Kyocera Rise $24.99 (Reg. $59)

If I go with the iPhone, do I have any additional fees on the Beyond Talk plan? I'm sure my wife would like one.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Motorola G for $179/8GB or $199/16GB off contract? This is probably the new goto smartphone for all you cheapskates out there!

SB35 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 13, 2013

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Thanatosian posted:

I have my tablet insured for face value listed as a rider on my homeowner's/renter's insurance and its only $16 a year with my standard $100 deductible.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Moto G is 3G only unfortunately, but I like this new trend.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

blargle posted:

Moto G is 3G only unfortunately, but I like this new trend.

Many of the prepaid MVNOs in the US don't support LTE anyway. Besides they seem to be aiming at the emerging markets where LTE service is also unlikely. HSPA/HSPA+ is still good enough for most things. I hope this thing sells well, I almost want to buy one on principal.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

SB35 posted:

Many of the prepaid MVNOs in the US don't support LTE anyway. Besides they seem to be aiming at the emerging markets where LTE service is also unlikely. HSPA/HSPA+ is still good enough for most things. I hope this thing sells well, I almost want to buy one on principal.

This gets less true every day.

I do hope it sells well (for other people I know who don't give a poo poo about the nexus/LTE), since that's one hell of a price for what looks to be a solid phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

Actually, Cricket, AIO, Straight Talk, Net10, GoPhone, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Ting all support LTE now.

I'd say most major MVNOs (and Ting) in the US support LTE.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
can anyone post or PM a link example of the cheap unlock services ebay has for iPhone 5s? I am getting an AT&T iPhone 5 and want to use it on TMO.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Hey prepaid goons, my girlfriend and her mom are going to be spending a week in New York (we're from Toronto) and was wondering what her best option is to use her iPhone 4 while she's there. I figure she can probably get at-least a basic pre paid solution, but was wondering if you had any other suggestions?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Hey prepaid goons, my girlfriend and her mom are going to be spending a week in New York (we're from Toronto) and was wondering what her best option is to use her iPhone 4 while she's there. I figure she can probably get at-least a basic pre paid solution, but was wondering if you had any other suggestions?

Most of the prepaid options with smartphone data in the US operate on a 30-day cycle, rather than charging a reasonable rate per MB. It looks like T-mobile has 3G HSPA on the 1900 MHz band (iPhone 4 compatible) in the NYC area, so I'd probably go with the the $3/day unlimited T-mobile Daily plan. The $2/day plan will give you unlimited 2G data, which is fast enough for email and light web browsing, but may be frustrating when trying to download map data, or read restaurant and tourist site reviews.

EDIT: ChiaPetOutletStore, you don't have PMs, so reply with your email address. I have an extra unactivated T-Mobile microSIM that I can send to you. That way your girlfriend can get off the plane with a working phone without having to find a T-mobile store. You prepay a balance on your account and don't start getting charged $3/day until you use the phone, and only get charged on days you use it. Should be able to do it on T-mobile's website before she leaves.

I live about 6 hours drive from Toronto, so it shouldn't take more than a few days to get to you.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 14, 2013

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The MotoX is available at Republic Wireless for $300, now.
https://republicwireless.com/phones/moto-x

If only I had WiFi at work...

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Uthor posted:

The MotoX is available at Republic Wireless for $300, now.
https://republicwireless.com/phones/moto-x

If only I had WiFi at work...

*Our Terms of Service permit us to reduce your speed for a billing period if you exceed 5GB of data while using cell during the billing period. We also give you a break and will forgive you for exceeding 5GB of data once every 6 months! See our Terms of Service for more details.

Republic only uses VoIP calls and text when on WiFi, and falls back on Sprint's normal voice and data channels when not on WiFi. Did you mean you don't have good Sprint coverage at your workplace? The $10 plan is a great deal if you can stand not having mobile data while on the go.

Change your plan up to twice a month. Yes, it’s a real thing.
So you picked the $10 plan but you’ve got a beach weekend planned. And there’s no WiFi at the beach—meaning you can’t look up directions or post pics. No need to stress out, because you can switch to a cell data plan right from your phone, then switch it back when get home. You save money and can show off all waves you caught.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 14, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

goku chewbacca posted:

*Our Terms of Service permit us to reduce your speed for a billing period if you exceed 5GB of data while using cell during the billing period. We also give you a break and will forgive you for exceeding 5GB of data once every 6 months! See our Terms of Service for more details.

Republic only uses VoIP calls and text when on WiFi, and falls back on Sprint's normal voice and data channels when not on WiFi. Did you mean you don't have good Sprint coverage at your workplace? The $10 plan is a great deal if you can stand not having mobile data while on the go.

Is it Sprint's 3G only as the fallback? Or will it use LTE as well?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Entire Universe posted:

If you go for their $45 plan you can use 4G when you're in coverage.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

The Entire Universe posted:

quote:

If you go for their $45 $40 plan you can use 4G when you're in coverage.

There are 4 plans for the Moto X, ranging from $5 to $40. The $25 has 3G, and the $40 has 3G and LTE. 5GB limit.

For a price comparison, my 5 line Sprint Everything Plus Employee Referral Plan costs me ~$50 per smartphone line with taxes/fees. That includes a device subsidy, but at $299 Republic is probably selling the Moto X at a loss, too.

My only concern is that the Wifi calling modifications (just to the baseband?) and the locked bootloader will mean delays for getting the KitKat and subsequent OS upgrades.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 14, 2013

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

My only concern is that the Wifi calling modifications (just to the baseband?) and the locked bootloader will mean delays for getting the KitKat and subsequent OS upgrades.

I guess it's good that they're only supporting 3 devices atm. Hopefully that can mean faster updates.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Republic Wireless promotion code that makes your first month free: moneymustache19. Apply during checkout.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

goku chewbacca posted:

In the terms, it says you're not allowed to do heavy usage stuff like steam video over 3G/4G. I do that a lot. The $30 TMobile plan is better for me except for having poo poo reception at home.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

goku chewbacca posted:

Most of the prepaid options with smartphone data in the US operate on a 30-day cycle, rather than charging a reasonable rate per MB. It looks like T-mobile has 3G HSPA on the 1900 MHz band (iPhone 4 compatible) in the NYC area, so I'd probably go with the the $3/day unlimited T-mobile Daily plan. The $2/day plan will give you unlimited 2G data, which is fast enough for email and light web browsing, but may be frustrating when trying to download map data, or read restaurant and tourist site reviews.

EDIT: ChiaPetOutletStore, you don't have PMs, so reply with your email address. I have an extra unactivated T-Mobile microSIM that I can send to you. That way your girlfriend can get off the plane with a working phone without having to find a T-mobile store. You prepay a balance on your account and don't start getting charged $3/day until you use the phone, and only get charged on days you use it. Should be able to do it on T-mobile's website before she leaves.

I live about 6 hours drive from Toronto, so it shouldn't take more than a few days to get to you.

That looks like just what we would need, thanks!

Email is ChiaPetOutleStore@gmail.com

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Uthor posted:

In the terms, it says you're not allowed to do heavy usage stuff like steam video over 3G/4G. I do that a lot. The $30 TMobile plan is better for me except for having poo poo reception at home.
You should probably seek clarification, but I'm pretty sure those are the old terms from their beta $19/month plan that was for the Moto Defy XT. Their new Moto X compatible plans specify a 5 GB monthly limit, and throttling after that.

Undeliverable because "email account that [I] tried to reach does not exist." Sure you typed that right?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 15, 2013

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Ordered the Republic Wireless Moto X just now, super pumped to get it. I've been on AT&T GoPhone for the last 6 months but money is tight and their $10/month plan is perfect for me. If anyone is in the market for a AT&T Note 2, I've got one in great condition.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Is T-Mobile $70 Unlimited 4G TRULY unlimited? Like no matter how much I do on my phone, they won't throttle me down or cut me off?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is T-Mobile $70 Unlimited 4G TRULY unlimited? Like no matter how much I do on my phone, they won't throttle me down or cut me off?

You can only tether 2.5GB but besides that it is unlimited

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

gariig posted:

You can only tether 2.5GB but besides that it is unlimited

Or you can tether unlimited if you change your user agent to be Android and deal with mobile pages.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Or you can tether unlimited if you change your user agent to be Android and deal with mobile pages.

Details, please!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Doesn't KitKat report back all tethering? As in the free ride for tethering your Android device (tablet, etc) is over. That's what I read on SA, anyway.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Doesn't KitKat report back all tethering? As in the free ride for tethering your Android device (tablet, etc) is over. That's what I read on SA, anyway.

Yes, Kit Kat does report back tethering.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Oh well nevermind. Before you could just enable the build in tethering and change the user-agent in Chrome to Android and browse forever.

Here's a link that probably explains it for pre kitkat devices.

http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/misc/how-to-bypass-t-mobiles-anti-tethering-policy/

Or just go get FoxFi for $5.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My switch to aio has been going swimmingly, but their tablet pricing is stupid so I went with Verizon's $20 a month prepaid plan. It's $5 more for 1 gig instead of 250mb and includes personal hotspot. Hadn't looked at Verizon options in quite a while so I was surprised that they wound up being such a good option.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Awesome! Ordered one.

If I puy in a port request on a Saturday, can I reasonably expect it to be ready by the end of Sunday evening? Does the $30/month plan let me use Visual Voicemail on my iPhone? Straight Talk doesn't do that and I really miss having it. Are they cool with tethering? Does MMS work? Yes MMS is old ancient technology but some of my friends without iPhones still use it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

poxin posted:

I get HSPA+ and LTE with the prepaid plan. Using voip.ms and csipsimple to get around the 100 minute restriction, working well.
Can you explain this a little more? After looking into it a bit it looks like you can get voip voice @ ~1c/min with voip.ms and you need csipsimple to use it.

Say you have an incoming call and you've used only 50 minutes so far this month, is there a way use your existing Tmo minutes first before switching over to voip? Is it all through the same number or do you have a different number for the two? (sorry if these questions are dumb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Is the Moto X on Republic Wireless a completely terrible idea? I ordered one fully expecting to return it within 30 days. Just want to try it out as I may be able to live with the cheap plan since I have my work paid for Verizon iPad with me at all times. Free LTE and hotspot may equal an epic cost savings as it's essentially Verizon coverage for the price of a hamburger/month.

• Locked thread