Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

nftyw posted:

And now the game crashes when I try to load. These release candidates are just far too buggy to realistically play even a few days into.

e: Version 0.8-2655-g944f932

Checking the logg it always seems to crash after "Attempting to Create Rotation Cache" if that's any clue.

Version 0.8-2655-g944f932 is the correct RC1.
There likely isn't going to be many minor bugfixes before the official stable release, it's more cleaning any remaining crashes and then pushing it out.

I've been playing on this version since November 9th and no crashes, so. :shrug:

e: That error is also created during a step loading the SDL tiles, a clean install is likely to fix it since it's not a build issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, that could be it. I just dumped the build in the same folder without thinking. Oops :downs:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There's some new combination mutagens added, you have to pick up books from dead scientists to learn about them. Chimera is one of them, and I've found alpha and medical mutagen as well. There's also a chance that you'll head into one of those categories from normal mutagen, same as with any other base category. Chimera might be fun for all of you who play melee, it comes with a lot of defensive and melee mutations.

VVV I think it's got something to do with the monster sprite rework. Different creatures with the same monster 'class' have the same display. Really tiny creatures like mice or shrews show up as really tiny dots, so maybe it's meant to be like that. Either that or a bug. Was this with a tileset on?

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 14, 2013

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Inadequately posted:

There's some new combination mutagens added, you have to pick up books from dead scientists to learn about them. Chimera is one of them, and I've found alpha and medical mutagen as well. There's also a chance that you'll head into one of those categories from normal mutagen, same as with any other base category. Chimera might be fun for all of you who play melee, it comes with a lot of defensive and melee mutations.

I kind of spoiled myself reading the commit for those new mutagens and there's some pretty cool stuff related to them.
I think there's quite a few plans to go even deeper with mutations and how they effect you game, exciting stuff.

If any one else has noticed there are 'invisible' critters currently. I found a mouse whilst targeting that isn't displayed by a character or on the monster compass.
Hoping any one else knew more about this, or if it has something to do with GlyphGryphs plans for the critter display rework.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Someone said the game crashed when deconstructing a bench...

How do you deconstruct something on the ground? I've been smashing them. (on 0.8)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

The RECAPITATOR posted:

How do you deconstruct something on the ground? I've been smashing them. (on 0.8)

Open your construction menu (*) and select the deconstruct furniture option (F) you need a screwdriver.

Dragging bookcases next to your charcoal kiln and deconstructing them there has been very helpful during my blacksmithing adventures.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The RECAPITATOR posted:

If you have a hammer and a screwdriver, press the construction button (* on the numpad) then select Deconstruct Furniture(i think it's F) then select the direction. You will get more stuff then just smashing the furnitures (deconstructing fridges is a good way to get funnels).

vvvv it has been resolved weeks ago? What tile set are you using?

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 14, 2013

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
By the way, I still get the stupid bug where vehicles appear as the pink 'no tile found' graphics and have been basically avoiding vehicles ever since tile support was added, is this resolved in any of the recent versions? I'm using SDL 0.9.RC1-115.

edit:^^ I'm using Hoder's, apparently. Should I switch?

edit: Unrelated. Can anyone give me the lowdown on the "Targeted mutations" mechanism? My cooking is 8 and I basically have everything I need to craft mutagens, I already have two reptilian mutations. And which mutation branch will be least disruptive if I want to keep wearing plate armor and a barbute helm?

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 14, 2013

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

edit:^^ I'm using Hoder's, apparently. Should I switch?
You can change the tile while playing without restarting the game. Press ? then 2 then go to graphic and try Tsu and tell us if it's still a problem. I don't think hoder's has been updated since forever.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah, Tsu resolves it.

Thanks!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm using SDL 0.9.RC1-115.

edit: Unrelated. Can anyone give me the lowdown on the "Targeted mutations" mechanism? My cooking is 8 and I basically have everything I need to craft mutagens, I already have two reptilian mutations. And which mutation branch will be least disruptive if I want to keep wearing plate armor and a barbute helm?

The targeted mutations will only give you a mutation in their category, good and bad. As far as specific mutations there's a lot and pretty much all have mutations that will prevent certain armours being worn.

And the experimental is listed as 0.9.RC1 but is not the official RC1 and not uploaded by GlyphGryph, so I'm not sure what's happening. Does your game crash if you use '*' for the construction menu?
I can't even get that version as Narcotic is constantly updating those builds and I don't think they're even linked to the github so I have no idea what is going on. As far as I can tell the experimental links are not safe. If you want the 'official' release candidate the one I linked earlier is it.

Inadequately posted:

VVV I think it's got something to do with the monster sprite rework. Different creatures with the same monster 'class' have the same display. Really tiny creatures like mice or shrews show up as really tiny dots, so maybe it's meant to be like that. Either that or a bug. Was this with a tileset on?

I don't think the current critter sprites are what the team want, rather left over from what a contributor added about a week ago and the discussion was that they want it changed. As for the tiny creatures like the mouse I can only find them using auto-targeting, I don't use tiles. I also seem to recall some discussion about it but I can't remember enough.

GlyphGryph should know but he's been a bit quiet since November 9th when they did their photo shoot and made RC1 available. How did the photo shoot go?

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Open your construction menu (*) and select the deconstruct furniture option (F) you need a screwdriver.

Dragging bookcases next to your charcoal kiln and deconstructing them there has been very helpful during my blacksmithing adventures.

Oh man...
I'm guessing you get a lot less "splintered wood" and a lot more goodies this way!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Oh man...
I'm guessing you get a lot less "splintered wood" and a lot more goodies this way!

Yes, you basically get enough wood to reconstruct the item in question, and a somewhat random amount of nails.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
It takes about 15 minutes to deconstruct furniture so it may not be worth it in some cases. I don't think charcoal is worth it because it takes forever to make.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Belasarius posted:

It takes about 15 minutes to deconstruct furniture so it may not be worth it in some cases. I don't think charcoal is worth it because it takes forever to make.
Yeah. And you have to watch over it for the full hour, too. Pretty annoying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Belasarius posted:

Though, in fairness, where else are you going to get nails and two by fours from most of the time? It's safe and reliable and requires minimal equipment, I wouldn't do it for shits an giggles but I do find it helpful to deconstruct enough things to board up my base.

Charcoal though yes, that's really irritating, you should honestly be able to automate the process somewhat, like a funnel for example, light a fire and it slowly smokes a heap of charcoal for you. Or even let you make big batches of it which take a few days to mature, like real life.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think charcoal is worth it, if only for smoked meat. You can chop down a tree or two for wood, cart it back and save it for a(n acid) rainy day, then convert it to charcoal when you have no skill books to read. One chunk of charcoal gives you ten charges, which allows you to make fifteen chunks of smoked meat. Smoked meat is the easiest way to process meat into a non-perishable form, dehydrating it costs batteries and salt is too time-consuming to make.

They're also talking about adding item durability and maintenance, so that should be another way to pass the time. I'm not particularly in favour of that, but it appears public opinion is against me on that one.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
0.9 Stable is now out. That is all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

0.9 Stable is now out. That is all.

gently caress yes!

Looking forward to this.

Edit:

Hang on, did you add some sort of... faint night vision or something? My game seems like it's rendering the walls of the shelter basement incredibly faintly underneath the fog, it moves around when I walk around as well, is that a feature or is my monitor just doing something weird?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 15, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
WELP the stable release still crashes when you try to use the construction menu. Back to the 8.whatever nightly backup I kept for me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is the biggest city/town I've seen so far (granted I probably have way less hours logged than some of you):

I nuked a fungal bloom there in the top right.

I found a garage and set up shop. The only way in or out is by the huge metal gate/door controlled by the lever which I'm reasonably sure can't be interacted with by monsters so it's a safe haven once I'm inside and has a lot of room to park my death mobile from which I drive out and pillage for days before bringing the choice loot home.

I'm eventually going to head north on that highway but I haven't even looted 1/5th of the town so far. Mostly just the houses on the bottom edge and a couple of the stores immediately next to the garage.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

WELP the stable release still crashes when you try to use the construction menu. Back to the 8.whatever nightly backup I kept for me.

Yeah, I have the same issue. The second I try to clean a window it crashes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Moridin920 posted:

I'm eventually going to head north on that highway but I haven't even looted 1/5th of the town so far. Mostly just the houses on the bottom edge and a couple of the stores immediately next to the garage.

If you haven't checked the Mansion to the east they're always a choice location.

High chance to get solid Melee weapons and plenty of good books. There's also plenty of furniture and windows you can strip for materials.

In my current run I just turned the indoor pool in a mansion I've found into my crafting area, broke one of the windows in an adjacent room for quicker access and didn't leave for weeks of in game time as I crafted anything I could think of. Gonna get started on a death mobile too now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do corpses rot? The Cataclysm wiki is out of date, but it says that you don't have to butcher animal corpses if you're not hungry since they won't rot.

Otherwise, I'm hoping I can get some charcoal since I got a lot of meat waiting.

vvv: Alright, time to make some charcoal then! ...once I figure out how to.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 15, 2013

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Do corpses rot? The Cataclysm wiki is out of date, but it says that you don't have to butcher animal corpses if you're not hungry since they won't rot.

Otherwise, I'm hoping I can get some charcoal since I got a lot of meat waiting.

Last time I ran into this a few experimental builds ago the meat was rotten when butchered after leaving it.
And the wiki isn't just out of date, it's pretty much abandoned right now.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Animal corpses will decay overtime and yield rotten meat, though it won't affect pelts or sinews.

Re: charcoal, you'll need to build a charcoal kiln (Fabrication 3) out of something like six pipes, a tank, and a whole lot of metal. If you want to get a ton of fabrication skill in a hurry, smash up some lockers or cabinets and mass-produce lockpicks.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There is a fun thing you can do with corpses. If you have the bionic that drains clean water from corpses, it fills up any container you specify, and doesn't prevent you from using the same corpse over and over again. Carry a squirrel corpse around and you can eventually fill an ocean.

E: By the way, smoked meat isn't the only way to keep meat from rotting. You should be able to find plenty of pepper, salt and salt water in kitchens and grocery stores, and you can use that to make jerky. Long term, though, it's easier to make smoked meat than keep hunting for/making salt, because the only raw material you need is wood. A single tree's worth of wood can last for a very long time.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 15, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

If only doing that yielded jerky as a by-product.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Anticheese posted:

If only doing that yielded jerky as a by-product.

This is a really good idea and it would also balance the water extraction bionic a bit.

And looking at the wiki again it looks like some people have actually been making some effort over the last month to update things so it might not be as out of date as I'd thought.
Best to check when each page was last modified though, especially as 0.9 just came out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is there any way to set separate fonts for the interface and the actual tile representation? I found a nice square font in the hopes that I'd be able to fit my full viewing area on-screen, but it makes the interface much harder to read.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there any way to set separate fonts for the interface and the actual tile representation? I found a nice square font in the hopes that I'd be able to fit my full viewing area on-screen, but it makes the interface much harder to read.

No it's not possible.
If you want to increase legibility and keep it mostly square increase the letter height slightly over width, might help depending on your font.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Strumpie posted:

No it's not possible.
If you want to increase legibility and keep it mostly square increase the letter height slightly over width, might help depending on your font.

That's okay, I managed to adapt with Dwarf Fortress, I'll manage here. I ended up just making it big (16x16 instead of 8x8) but hopefully the ability to accurately judge distances will outweight having to scroll the viewport around from time to time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Inadequately posted:

E: By the way, smoked meat isn't the only way to keep meat from rotting. You should be able to find plenty of pepper, salt and salt water in kitchens and grocery stores, and you can use that to make jerky.
Grocery stores maybe, but houses I don't know. How many people do you know who keep more than a single shaker's worth of salt around the house at any one time? Curing meat takes a lot of salt. If you were to pretend to be actually realistic about it, you probably shouldn't be able to preserve more than a single chunk of meat per pound of salt.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Is there a way to obtain a renwable source of salt water/salt? Or is your only source what you can scavenge?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Does animal empathy actually do anything? I took it in the hopes of finally playing a character in static spawn mode but animals don't seem to behave any differently.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

PiCroft posted:

Is there a way to obtain a renwable source of salt water/salt? Or is your only source what you can scavenge?

Charcoal. Fuckload of charcoal and high cooking skill.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does animal empathy actually do anything? I took it in the hopes of finally playing a character in static spawn mode but animals don't seem to behave any differently.

I believe animal empathy is currently not functional.
With the over abundance of wildlife right now I don't think it's necessary to take at all. You can't go anywhere without being mobbed by animals, any kind of ranged weapon will kill most of them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Apparently there is a Windows-exclusive crash bug that somehow wormed it's way into the Stable branch from the experimental.

We'll be trying to release a hotfix ASAP.

I hate it when bugs only appear in operating systems I don't use for development.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Had a bug (in 0.8) -- I hallucinated some kind of monster that left a sludge trail, but when I stopped hallucinating the sludge trail was still there.

Is there any way to clean up liquids / trails like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, you're stuck with them forever. Makes Slimy annoying as hell. On the overworld map rain might wash it away, but I wouldn't swear to that.